Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you are the AD, what decisions would you make regarding Bielema and the Staff

Started by Ben, January 01, 2017, 04:02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

What decisions would you make as an AD regarding Bielema and the future? How long would you keep him?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Sir Oinksalot

...the AD signed any and all leverage away with the insane buyout, he can only nod,
anything more and he might get the finger.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Bubba's Bruisers

I would move the campus bout 700 miles east-southeast of Fayetteville.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

rude1

Nothing you can do, hay is in the barn, you already signed him to a contract that you can't let him go, all you can do is look to fire assistants and look in the mirror daily and ask yourself, "why did I give that guy that contract"?

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:22:31 pm
Nothing you can do, hay is in the barn, you already signed him to a contract that you can't let him go, all you can do is look to fire assistants and look in the mirror daily and ask yourself, "why did I give that guy that contract"?
Or you go about the work of undoing that contract by fair means or foul, while working on you own resume'.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ben on January 01, 2017, 04:02:27 pm
What decisions would you make as an AD regarding Bielema and the future? How long would you keep him?

Whether he does anything at all may have a great deal to do with the PTB/Big Money and whether they insist that something be done. He may be the AD but his immediate future, just like that of Bielema and his staff are tied to political and financial support/pressure, when and if it ever comes. Given the current circumstances and the enormity of the existing buyout at this time, I doubt he would do anything right now in the absence of encouragement from others to do so. But that's just my opinion only.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

Since we can't get rid of Bert. I would help him. I would fire the DC, OC, D-line, and O-line coaches. That way he can go around and say that I was a medaling AD.

(notOM)Rebel123

Just reassign Bret to other duties. Keep paying him the $4 million. You won't have to worry about any incentive bonuses. Then go hire the next flavor of the month. Much cheaper than the buyout.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hawgon

Calling All Hogs

Doesn't matter. The problem won't be fixed until Jeff Long leaves AND is replaced by an AD committed to winning. From the looks of the reaction to Long's latest tweet he may have lost a lot of support of fans which is encouraging.

The_Bionic_Pig

Give him a much more competitive Asst. Coach salary to attract pedigree. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

NuttinItUp

Sooie71923

Restructure contracts. i.e.; poor team performance = % decrease in buyout and/or deduct 1 year from contract.

If I was AD I would meddle as little as possible. I've hired a successful P5 coach and will let him run with it. If I'm AD I have many sports to worry about other than football. I have to realize what reasonable obtainable goals are for my school. I realize the recruiting difficulties, the strength of the division and the importance of stability. I realize if I fire a coach every 4 years no coach will wanna work for me and nothing will ever be built. 

It's Arkansas. We need stability, time and commitment for a staff and program.

reddogjcss

I would force Coach B to fire entire Defensive staff. Hire a staff and build defense to stop all forms of the spread, hire coaches that are very vocal and have a fire under them
O Line is young but fix it even if you need a new O line Coach. Force Coach B to give offense toatally to Dan Enos & he can play call and play what ever players he wants to.
Force Coach B to be an Administrative Coach some what like Stoops.
Force emphasis on on special teams play. Need to be best in nation.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

JNunn

First order of business is re-negotiating the buyout. Then I'm telling him, "Look Coach B, I understand that what you inherited was a bare cupboard. I recognize the gains that you have made, while being here. But we also brought you here to win championships. Back to back stagnant years is not going to work in the toughest division of College Football.  We need to make several defensive changes (starting with coordinator and D-line) and  O-line changes. If there is no improvement to 9wins in 2017, you will be gone.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JNunn on January 01, 2017, 06:57:58 pm
First order of business is re-negotiating the buyout. Then I'm telling him, "Look Coach B, I understand that what you inherited was a bare cupboard. I recognize the gains that you have made, while being here. But we also brought you here to win championships. Back to back stagnant years is not going to work in the toughest division of College Football.  We need to make several defensive changes (starting with coordinator and D-line) and  O-line changes. If there is no improvement to 9wins in 2017, you will be gone.

Why in the world would BB agree to that?  He has all the leverage.

Bubba's Bruisers

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 07:04:02 pm
Why in the world would BB agree to that?  He has all the leverage.
Fair means or foul.   Demand staff changes and meddle with his hiring process and monitor his personal conduct.   Worked on Holtz, Hatfield, Nutt and Petrino.  None of those cost us 15.3 mm.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 01, 2017, 07:10:41 pm
Fair means or foul.   Demand staff changes and meddle with his hiring process and monitor his personal conduct.   Worked on Holtz, Hatfield, Nutt and Petrino.  None of those cost us 15.3 mm.

Maybe, but that's not what the poster I was addressing proposed.  Once the AD says 9 wins in 2017 or you're gone, then if I'm BB, I'm like...get bent, Mr. AD.  Just go ahead and fire me next December, and I'll collect.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 07:15:26 pm
Maybe, but that's not what the poster I was addressing proposed.  Once the AD says 9 wins in 2017 or you're gone, then if I'm BB, I'm like...get bent, Mr. AD.  Just go ahead and fire me next December, and I'll collect.
Oh, I agree with you there.  Bret's no fool, but he does have an ego.  The question really comes down to,"Does he want to stay in the coaching profession or take the money and do something else?"  If he tanks the next couple of years, his future earnings potential is damaged.  He may want to git while the gittin's good, and so may Long.

The_Bionic_Pig

If you garner a reputation as a "Meddling" AD you will not only limit your options with elite level coaches but also be looked uponn as a excuse for each coaches departure to another program.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 01, 2017, 07:29:21 pm
If you garner a reputation as a "Meddling" AD you will not only limit your options with elite level coaches but also be looked uponn as a excuse for each coaches departure to another program.
Long on Integrity   ;)

tophawg19

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 01, 2017, 05:47:58 pm
  Since we can't get rid of Bert. I would help him. I would fire the DC, OC, D-line, and O-line coaches. That way he can go around and say that I was a medaling AD.
firing the O/C would be stupid . he is one of the best in the SEC and by firing him, you would open him up to coach in the SEC
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LZH

parallaxpig

He will get AD play book out and do what all
AD's do.  He will give B a raise and an extension.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PonderinHog

ArkansasI

Since he's already bet the farm, I suspect they will discuss the season and ask if there is anything he (Jeff) can do to help him (Bret) succeed.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 01, 2017, 07:39:07 pm
firing the O/C would be stupid . he is one of the best in the SEC and by firing him, you would open him up to coach in the SEC

Really? What adjustments did he make in the 2nd halves of the Mizzou and VaTech games. How about the Auburn game? He's very replaceable.

Hoggish1

Then the AD says, duh, OK you win, you're fired.  But we are talking Long here...

XX

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 01, 2017, 06:10:40 pm
Doesn't matter. The problem won't be fixed until Jeff Long leaves AND is replaced by an AD committed to winning. From the looks of the reaction to Long's latest tweet he may have lost a lot of support of fans which is encouraging.
Always thought Hatfield should have been our AD...
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Torqued pork

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on January 01, 2017, 08:45:41 pm
Always thought Hatfield should have been our AD...
Why? When coaching Hatfield was said to be loyal to a fault about his assistants. Considered them family. He would probably be the same with head coaches.

XX

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 01, 2017, 08:57:04 pm
Why? When coaching Hatfield was said to be loyal to a fault about his assistants. Considered them family. He would probably be the same with head coaches.
Hatfield would have never picked Bert...to be loyal to.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

TX HOG

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 01, 2017, 07:22:59 pm

Oh, I agree with you there.  Bret's no fool, but he does have an ego.  The question really comes down to,"Does he want to stay in the coaching profession or take the money and do something else?"  If he tanks the next couple of years, his future earnings potential is damaged.  He may want to git while the gittin's good, and so may Long.

Yeah, maybe he will take the money, & do something else.  Just continue with his TV fame.."Being Bret"....or he could do a cooking/eating show ??
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

GoHogzzGo

Keep CBB unless I could get Chip Kelly. And I would fly to San Franscico right now with a plane full of money, an $8 mill contract, and support from every big booster that will give it.

Not gonna happen, but a man can have his dreams.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

TX HOG

hawgon

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 01, 2017, 09:36:33 pm
Yeah, maybe he will take the money, & do something else.  Just continue with his TV fame.."Being Bret"....or he could do a cooking/eating show ??

Or more realistically for to work for ESPN and crack goofy jokes for the next twenty years.  Hell Corso is pretty much out the door, Bert could put on a different mascot head every week.

FaytownHog

Depends on if you/he wanted to continue to be a coach or are ready to hang it up. He would have to go back to be an assistant or to some unknown school after the turd he's laid here so far. If it's worth that to him vs renegotiating to stay a head coach in the SEC, that's his perogative.

Granny fan

phadedhawg

TX HOG

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 01, 2017, 09:46:34 pm
Reasons to be thankful list 2017
1.  TX Hog is not athletic director

I disagree. I'd have a lot of fun being AD

hogginbama

If the AD is going to call the shots them why have a coach. Have told many of my former Soldiers that if I needed to tell them how to do their job that meant they were useless and needed to go.

Building for the ling-term is more than a 3-4 year deal. Anytime you are building mistakes will be made, ideas will not work out and steps will be talem back. That is when you re-evaluate, determine if the path is right or do you need to go back and take the right fork in the road instead of the left one. It is obvious that many of you are the worker-bees in you own personal bee-hive and not the architects. You want immediate results with no room for error and expect it to be easy.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hoggie17

A school's athletic director is the administrator who oversees all the school's sports. Though he may have been a player in his past, and certainly needs an interest in sports, he typically does not interact directly with athletes in his job. He sets athletic policies within the school and sees that they are followed, as well as ensures that the school follows rules set by governing agencies for all school sports.  In the SEC the AD's most important job is to hire a winning football coach.

The SEC is a football conference, we all know that. In the capacity of hiring and firing football HC's Jeff Long has been a failure(my opinion). In most jobs if you fail in the most important aspect of what you were hired for you are put in another position or replaced.