Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New coach

Started by lamont7906, January 01, 2017, 03:22:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lamont7906

I really don't see the team getting 9 wins and even with th buyout at 15 I think they get rid of him with 7 wins or less. I want Philip Montgomery before someone else pick him up. He was the OC for Baylor and Houston and turned Tulsa program around.  Not too big of name and believe it's someone we can keep for awhile.

Arkansas Fan

Give me Venables, if he wants to be a HC.

ricepig

Quote from: lamont7906 on January 01, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
I really don't see the team getting 9 wins and even with th buyout at 15 I think they get rid of him with 7 wins or less. I want Philip Montgomery before someone else pick him up. He was the OC for Baylor and Houston and turned Tulsa program around.  Not too big of name and believe it's someone we can keep for awhile.

We can keep Bret for a while if that is your motivation, lol.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 03:27:04 pm
We can keep Bret for a while if that is your motivation, lol.

/thread
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

lamont7906

I dont like Bret as a coach. He seems like a good person but as a coach not at all. Everytime the ship is sinking he just have a 1000 yard stare, he don't stoke the fire when they are clearly messing up. As a coach your character rubs off on the players so if you not holding no one accountable, the senior leadership going to do the same. That's why we in the mess now he don't hold no one accountable.

lefty08

Quote from: lamont7906 on January 01, 2017, 03:32:57 pm
I dont like Bret as a coach. He seems like a good person but as a coach not at all. Everytime the ship is sinking he just have a 1000 yard stare, he don't stoke the fire when they are clearly messing up. As a coach your character rubs off on the players so if you not holding no one accountable, the senior leadership going to do the same. That's why we in the mess now he don't hold no one accountable.

Ummmmmm you don't have to act a fool during a game to hold people accountable
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lamont7906

Who said anything about act a fool? He don't say nothing to no one, hell even the commentators wad talking about how he look lost and stunned and was off by himself. You don't have to go ape darn but you can get in someone face and take to them with a good enough tone to make your point clear.

ricepig

Quote from: lamont7906 on January 01, 2017, 03:58:44 pm
Who said anything about act a fool? He don't say nothing to no one, hell even the commentators wad talking about how he look lost and stunned and was off by himself. You don't have to go ape darn but you can get in someone face and take to them with a good enough tone to make your point clear.

I guess you weren't at the game? Or attend many of our games? He had the team gathered around him during timeouts, twice, but you were watching a beer commercial.

lamont7906

Hmm being stationed in germany I don't get to attend or see many of the games. I have to catch some of the games on youtube couple of days afterwards. Regardless I'm not the only one that see how he looks lost.

Tusks

His 1000 yard stare is part of his charm.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

nchogg

Oh Hell, lets just keep coach B and fire and hire new assistant coaches and maybe everyone will be happy. No, we fire coach B also. I'm not happy with the season but every other thread is about replacing coaches. Getting old. Now complain about my a**. :razorback:

rude1

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2017, 03:24:26 pm
Give me Venables, if he wants to be a HC.
I kind of LOL'd at this one. Not because he wouldn't be worth a look but because Gohogs1091 has been pumping Venables for years, longer than most of us knew who he was. Now the nation is learning. Gohogs1091 must feel completely vindicated on his constant teaching us on who Venables was.

lefty08

People are freaking out over winning 7 games in a season where we were underdogs in 10 out of the 13 games.  Think about that
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lefty08 on January 01, 2017, 04:34:43 pm
People are freaking out over winning 7 games in a season where we were underdogs in 10 out of the 13 games.  Think about that

The thing is hindsight is 20/20.  Turns out we were actually better than the teams we beat.  TCU was vastly overrated when we played them..  OM and MSU had losing records.  FL isn't very good at all. 

MO was the only surprise this season.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tusks

Do I have it wrong or did the hogs only beat 2 teams with winning records this year?

26.2Hog

Quote from: tusked on January 01, 2017, 04:39:15 pm
Do I have it wrong or did the hogs only beat 2 teams with winning records this year?

That's right.  LaTech and Florida.

lefty08

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 04:38:19 pm
The thing is hindsight is 20/20.  Turns out we were actually better than the teams we beat.  TCU was vastly overrated when we played them..  OM and MSU had losing records.  FL isn't very good at all. 

MO was the only surprise this season.

To an arkansas fan your probably right, doesn't make it truth

AirForceHog

Why can't we keep the coach we have for a bit??
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Tusks

rude1

No you should think about why were underdogs in so many of those games. Why would they odds makers even make us an underdog to a 4-6 MsState team? Yes it's for betting purposes but they are also aware of who your coach is and the product he puts out on the field, it isn't a positive like you would like to spin it to be .................

98hogs

Year 4  think about that

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lefty08 on January 01, 2017, 04:45:02 pm
To an arkansas fan your probably right, doesn't make it truth

And just because someone is picked as an underdog pre-game doesn't mean they're actually the underdog.  More truth.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 04:57:43 pm
No you should think about why were underdogs in so many of those games. Why would they odds makers even make us an underdog to a 4-6 MsState team? Yes it's for betting purposes but they are also aware of who your coach is and the product he puts out on the field, it isn't a positive like you would like to spin it to be .................

Probably has more to do with out national reputation in general.  Our history.   It's ain't much to write about.

HogTakes

I think there are a lot of good coaches out there that Arkansas would have a chance at if we fired Bielema. Unfortunately, we're likely looking at keeping him through the 2018 season at least (so long as Jeffie is here).

We wouldn't have to settle for Montgomery though. Chip Kelly is out of a job, Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains would listen and I think we could tempt Fleck or Venables. I'd prefer an offensive mind who can spread out SEC defenses and give us something fun to watch even if we are only winning 7 times per year.

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:03:48 pm
Probably has more to do with out national reputation in general.  Our history.   It's ain't much to write about.
They don't set lines off your history, they set the line based on your current coach with his current team and what they believe he is or isn't capable of with his team.

lefty08

January 01, 2017, 05:24:18 pm #25 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:13:55 pm by lefty08
Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:18:40 pm
They don't set lines off your history, they set the line based on your current coach with his current team and what they believe he is or isn't capable of with his team.

You're reaching, lines arent  made because of your coach, get real man

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:18:40 pm

But the betters move the line.  And the betters aren't usually that smart.  And the set line was wrong more than it was right.

rude1

Quote from: lefty08 on January 01, 2017, 05:24:18 pm
You're reaching, lines are made because of your coach, get real man
I guess you stopped reading there, there was mention of a TEAM, you familiar with that term?

porkrindjimmy

There will not be a new head coach anytime in the next 2, 3 years unless Bret decides to leave.

That is our situation.

PRJ

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on January 01, 2017, 05:26:34 pm
There will not be a new head coach anytime in the next 2, 3 years unless Bret decides to leave.

That is our situation.

PRJ

Everybody knows this.

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:24:35 pm
But the betters move the line.  And the betters aren't usually that smart.  And the set line was wrong more than it was right.
Bettors move the line, but they don't set it. If the money comes in heavy on one side or the other, the line moves.  Many times the set line is pretty close, so much so that many times people are sweating during garbage time of games to see if they are going to win or lose.

BigE_23

PJ Freakin' Fleck

We need someone hungry...for more than Catfish Hole that is.

BTW, the two names I was screaming for in 2012 were Mike Macintyre (Colorado via San Jose St) and Willie Taggart (South Florida via W. Kentucky now at Oregon).

hogcard1964

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 01, 2017, 04:46:42 pm
Why can't we keep the coach we have for a bit??

We have.  He didn't work out.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 04:21:08 pm
I kind of LOL'd at this one. Not because he wouldn't be worth a look but because Gohogs1091 has been pumping Venables for years, longer than most of us knew who he was. Now the nation is learning. Gohogs1091 must feel completely vindicated on his constant teaching us on who Venables was.

I know, I always poke fun at him because it seems he knows what color underwear Venables wears everyday.

rude1

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2017, 05:35:07 pm
I know, I always poke fun at him because it seems he knows what color underwear Venables wears everyday.
Lol correct he knows Venables down to the smallest detail.

HogTakes

Names to watch in 2-3 years:

Chris Ash
Chad Morris
Charlie Pittman
Lane Kiffin
Mark Helfrich
Mike Norvell
Scott Frost

Who knows if Long would give Helfrich or Pittman a shot at bouncing back, but both have had their fair share of success at times. Kiffin is even more of a stretch, but worth watching at FAU.

Any others we should be watching while Bert continues to embarrass the university?

Bubba's Bruisers

We should hire Gus with Venables as his DC.

XOXOXOXOX,
          Gohogs1091

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogTakes on January 01, 2017, 05:40:11 pm

Chris Ash
Chad Morris
Charlie Pittman
Lane Kiffin
Mark Helfrich
Scott Frost

Who knows if Long would give Helfrich or Pittman a shot at bouncing back, but both have had their fair share of success at times. Kiffin is even more of a stretch, but worth watching at FAU.

Any others we should be watching while Bert continues to embarrass the university?

Ash?  Really?  Ash?

I just threw up in my mouth.

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:40:52 pm
We should hire Gus with Venables as his DC.

XOXOXOXOX,
          Gohogs1091
Wrong, hire Venables with Gus as his offensive corrdinatore. Now that would be Gohogs1091

PonderinHog

Chris Ash
Chad Morris
Charlie Pittman
Lane Kiffin
Mark Helfrich
Scott Frost

Skip Holtz gave us fits, both times.

HogTakes

Ash may have burned bridges with UA by going to Ohio State, but he's a helluva defensive mind and worth watching to see if he can turn Rutgers around in the next few years. Just 43 years old (granted, Bielema is young too).

(notOM)Rebel123

Chris Ash
Chad Morris
Charlie Pittman
Lane Kiffin
Mark Helfrich
Scott Frost

Butch Davis.....and he has a big buddy who just might help offset some of that buyout to make it happen.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HogTakes

Butch would have made sense in 2012. I don't think he does in 2018 or later... he's already 65...

Add Mike Norvell to the list. Another exciting offensive mind and we just saw a former Memphis coach up close and personal in the bowl game...

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 01, 2017, 05:46:22 pm
Butch Davis.....and he has a big buddy who just might help offset some of that buyout to make it happen.

I think that idea has flown the coup.......

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 05:50:58 pm
I think that idea has flown the coup.......

I was waiting on your response. 😉 Yeah, you're probably right.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogcard1964

Willie Fritz. That's who we should go after.

Hogwild

In year 4, which was down year in the SEC, the only teams we were favored to beat were LA Tech, Texas State, and Alcorn State.  Think about that.

sickboy

I just imagine a bunch of old retirees sitting on the porch of bait and tackle shop off some remote highway in Arkansas when I read some of these threads.

reddogjcss

We better be glad we don't play ARk State every year cause they would own us.

LZH

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:42:01 pm
Wrong, hire Venables with Gus as his offensive corrdinatore. Now that would be Gohogs1091

Hire them both and let em fistfight each Monday to see who gets to call the shots that week.