Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Coach Comparison

Started by NuttinItUp, January 01, 2017, 01:13:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Made a quick chart in excel with the last 5 Arkansas coaches (not counting interim coaches like John L. or Kines)

(click to enlarge image)

Bielema's line is pretty similar to Ford's line, but below Nutt or Petrino's line.

Just thought it might be an interesting comparison. Not making an argument either way...

Atlhogfan1

It isn't interesting without context. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 01:15:49 pm
It isn't interesting without context. 
What additional context do you need? I labeled the axis and everything.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Well CBP is not coming back so I guess you want us to hire HDN again.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on January 01, 2017, 01:32:56 pm
Well CBP is not coming back so I guess you want us to hire HDN again.
Like I said, it was only a comparison. I wasn't making any sort of argument either way.

I apologize if the facts don't line up with your preconceived notions or if the numbers make you angry.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2017, 01:36:33 pm
Like I said, it was only a comparison. I wasn't making any sort of argument either way.

I apologize if the facts don't line up with your preconceived notions or if the numbers make you angry.

So what was the point of posting the graph? If you look at the graph CBP did the best job as far as wins are concerned (I don't think anyone argues that fact), and HDN did the second best job (he was consistently mediocre and inherited decent players when he was hired). You can see that HDN hit a win limit that he would not surpass. Lets take away CBB's two fist years and see if he too is hitting an unsurpassable limit. IMO next year will give us a more complete picture, if we only win 7-8 games again then we will know that is probably his limit.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on January 01, 2017, 01:52:52 pm
So what was the point of posting the graph?

The point was really just to compare.

Actually, the real reason is I saw a graph of the last few A&M coaches on another site and just wanted to see what it would look like for Arkansas coaches.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2017, 01:16:56 pm
What additional context do you need? I labeled the axis and everything.

Pull out the non power 5 teams and re-plot and I think you might have a more accurate comparison.  Plot only games against ranked teams and I think you'd be close to a meaningful comparison.  The fact that Dale was allowed to stay around to beat up on weak teams does nothing to justify his presence.

Wins/Year vs Ranked Teams and record vs ranked teams.

2.5 BP 10-13  against 6.6 ranked teams per year
1.75 BB 7-19 against 6.6 ranked teams per year
1.43 LH 7-12-2 against 3.0 ranked teams per year
1.4 HDN 14-31 against 4.4 ranked teams per year
1.2 DF 6-14 against 4.0 ranked teams per year
1.0 JFB 19-20 against 2.0 ranked teams per year
0.5 KH 3-9 against 2.0 ranked teams per year
0.0 JC 0-6 against 3.0 ranked teams per year

Unquestionably Petrino delivered the most big wins per year and Bielema is 2nd best.  Nutt, Ford, and Broyles were middle of the pack though Frank was held back by lack of opportunity.  Hatfield underperformed and Crowe was irrelevant.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on January 01, 2017, 05:35:47 pm
Pull out the non power 5 teams and re-plot and I think you might have a more accurate comparison.  Plot only games against ranked teams and I think you'd be close to a meaningful comparison. 

I disagree with this. In reality ALL wins and losses matter. In fact, it could be argued that losses to non-Power 5 teams (like Toledo) or non-Top 25 ranked teams (like Missouri) hurt a fanbase WORSE than other losses and therefore should be given more weight, not less.