Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The logic for those that don't want to fire the coach and staff!

Started by luke hawg, January 01, 2017, 11:48:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

This class combined with the previous 2 per 247 composite which combines the ratings of scout, rivals, ESPN, and 247 are the 3 highest ever. We also have had more players drafted in 3 consecutive years than at any point in Arkansas history with a 7 round NFL draft. If you include drafts with a lot more picks it ties the record from the early 70's. This record will be stretched to 4 consecutive years after the 2017 draft regardless of draft rounds. On the field, our SOS the last 3 years is in the top 10 resulting in a 22-17 record with a 2-1 bowl record with a coach that has produced 1 losing season in his 11 year career. But yes lets fire him because the wins and losses don't look right to you after our program set the new record for the largest dropoff in ratings history in 2012. I'm not going to even go into all the top rated teams that got hammered this year by comparable foes. I promise you the margin of victory and point swings in games has increased significantly in the last 10 years. Stastistically significant!

luke hawg

gawntrail

Quote from: luke hawg on January 01, 2017, 11:48:32 am
This class combined with the previous 2 per 247 composite which combines the ratings of scout, rivals, ESPN, and 247 are the 3 highest ever. We also have had more players drafted in 3 consecutive years than at any point in Arkansas history with a 7 round NFL draft. If you include drafts with a lot more picks it ties the record from the early 70's. This record will be stretched to 4 consecutive years after the 2017 draft regardless of draft rounds. On the field, our SOS the last 3 years is in the top 10 resulting in a 22-17 record with a 2-1 bowl record with a coach that has produced 1 losing season in his 11 year career. But yes lets fire him because the wins and losses don't look right to you after our program set the new record for the largest dropoff in ratings history in 2012. I'm not going to even go into all the top rated teams that got hammered this year by comparable foes. I promise you the margin of victory and point swings in games has increased significantly in the last 10 years. Stastistically significant!

I guess your logic trumps my lying eyes.

luke hawg

tophawg19

i just wonder if they watched any other games besides ours , V Tech had a very good team . just ask Clemson. We played the hel out of Bama minus some bad calls and still put up 30 on that defense .Ask Washington how easy that is. We beat a decent Florida team with a lot of talent , but they will hunt excuses for that . Auburn had a good team against a worn out hog team , still i wasn't happy with that but know it happens . Mizzou ticked me off but i've watched enough football to know it happens to everyone . We weren't the only team to take some bad losses this year . changes will be made and they have to but the sky isn't falling
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

go hogues

The win against Ole Miss was our best game of the season. By far.

We caught Florida with a bad QB. If we played them 10 times, we'd probably lose at least 7.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

luke hawg

Quote from: go hogues on January 01, 2017, 12:56:02 pm

We caught Florida with a bad QB. If we played them 10 times, we'd probably lose at least 7.

Why do this to yourself?

lefty08

Their starter?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

root_hawg

Who you going to get and how much of the $25 million for the buyouts you going to cough up?

gawntrail

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

luke hawg

Quote from: gawntrail on January 01, 2017, 02:00:09 pm
So you telling me to be objective trumps what I see?

If you want to be right more than wrong in your life, it's the safe bet.

lakecityhog

First of all I don't want to see BB fired, more for the program than for him or his performance. I want him to be successful, we need it.
But, when you start playing with numbers and facts the other side can usually come up with some pretty good ones too.

2013: Led 24-7 at Rutgers, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-0, then 17-10 entering the 4th quarter, lost in overtime. Led LSU 27-21 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2014: Led A&M 28-14 entering the 4th quarter, lost in OT. Led Alabama 13-7 entering the 4th quarter, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-7 at halftime, lost. Led Missouri 14-6 at halftime, lost.

2015: Tied Texas Tech 21-all at halftime, lost by double digits. Led A&M 21-13 in the 4th quarter, lost. Led Alabama 7-3 at halftime, lost by double digits. Led Mississippi State 42-31 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2016: Ties A&M at halftime, lost by 21. Led Missouri 24-7 at halftime, lost. Led Virginia Tech 24-0 at halftime, lost by double digits.

And this doesn't even include playing TT and NEVER forcing a punt during the game. We did not stop them 1 time!! Nor does it include the Auburn/LSU blowouts.

There is also the stat about teams leading by as big a margin as we were in the Belk Bowl only losing 3 times out of 905 similar games. Yet, we somehow managed to give up 28 points in what 1 quarter??

luke hawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2017, 02:30:49 pm
First of all I don't want to see BB fired, more for the program than for him or his performance. I want him to be successful, we need it.
But, when you start playing with numbers and facts the other side can usually come up with some pretty good ones too.

2013: Led 24-7 at Rutgers, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-0, then 17-10 entering the 4th quarter, lost in overtime. Led LSU 27-21 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2014: Led A&M 28-14 entering the 4th quarter, lost in OT. Led Alabama 13-7 entering the 4th quarter, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-7 at halftime, lost. Led Missouri 14-6 at halftime, lost.

2015: Tied Texas Tech 21-all at halftime, lost by double digits. Led A&M 21-13 in the 4th quarter, lost. Led Alabama 7-3 at halftime, lost by double digits. Led Mississippi State 42-31 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2016: Ties A&M at halftime, lost by 21. Led Missouri 24-7 at halftime, lost. Led Virginia Tech 24-0 at halftime, lost by double digits.

And this doesn't even include playing TT and NEVER forcing a punt during the game. We did not stop them 1 time!! Nor does it include the Auburn/LSU blowouts.

There is also the stat about teams leading by as big a margin as we were in the Belk Bowl only losing 3 times out of 905 similar games. Yet, we somehow managed to give up 28 points in what 1 quarter??

You're  listing individual games and circumstances that occurred in each while omitting games that contradict that trend. This being said our inability to close out games after developing a lead against spread offenses is more than likely significant when all data is considered. I think the last 2 games further proves this. Their is something about our style and deficiencies that is responsible for this trend. We have not been able to consistently lean on the running game with a lead to close out games since Bret has been here. If this does not change, Bret will not make it here. This next season will answer that question. The talent and experience is there at all positions between the tackles. I could care less about Bret as a person.

Biggus Piggus

The logic for me is that we need to let someone have enough time to build something.

We have "fire Bielema" darn flying up here after a disappointing season that wasn't going to vary much in degree of disappointment regardless of how it finished. The last two games were infuriating, but we knew what this team was before that.

Starting all over every few seasons is something that even the worst of the SEC worst do not do. Staying the course is hard for some people here to envision.
[CENSORED]!

hogman64

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2017, 02:30:49 pm

this also doesn't include at least three games we should have been able to close out , didn't and had to win them in OT...Auburn 2015, Ole MIss 2015, TCU 2016.......except for practically miracles  all three of those games would be in the " blown" category....

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 01, 2017, 03:03:42 pm
The logic for me is that we need to let someone have enough time to build something.

We have "fire Bielema" darn flying up here after a disappointing season that wasn't going to vary much in degree of disappointment regardless of how it finished. The last two games were infuriating, but we knew what this team was before that.

Starting all over every few seasons is something that even the worst of the SEC worst do not do. Staying the course is hard for some people here to envision.
Bravo sir, its good some people actually get it!

luke hawg

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 01, 2017, 03:06:50 pm
Luke, this can't be a trend at all if we want a successful program

I know that's why I said he'd be fired if it continues.

luke hawg

Okay so we are a program going into year 5 that appears by all indicative stats to be primed for success if it does not continue to squander leads late in games. If this continues next season with a team that is entirely his, we fire him. I'm completely okay with this. There is no reason to not see significant improvement next season. This team should be comparable to his 2010 and 2011 Wisconsin teams. If they are not, he was a puppet for Alvarez and we fire his fat butt.

Bebop

Quote from: luke hawg on January 01, 2017, 03:24:03 pm
Okay so we are a program going into year 5 that appears by all indicative stats to be primed for success if it does not continue to squander leads late in games. If this continues next season with a team that is entirely his, we fire him. I'm completely okay with this. There is no reason to not see significant improvement next season. This team should be comparable to his 2010 and 2011 Wisconsin teams. If they are not, he was a puppet for Alvarez and we fire his fat butt.

I'm saying that now. I think there is enough evidence to prove that this is already the case.

lefty08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 01, 2017, 03:03:42 pm

Agreed

luke hawg

Quote from: Bebop on January 01, 2017, 03:25:39 pm
I'm saying that now. I think there is enough evidence to prove that this is already the case.

It's 50/50 and I' would lose my mind if we fired him on a coin flip.

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, it's not time to fire BB.  He obviously has adjustments to make.  Let's hope he makes them...whatever that are.

The problem is the disconnect with the fanbase regarding expectations for the program.  They're all different.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

luke hawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 03:34:21 pm
Yes, it's not time to fire BB.  He obviously has adjustments to make.  Let's hope he makes them...whatever that are.

The problem is the disconnect with the fanbase regarding expectations for the program.  They're all different.

My expectation is an SEC championship in his 7-10 year here. For this to happen next year needs to be a new high for his program. He has to create excitement and continue to improve recruiting. It cracks me up how many people are ready to bail just as thing could turn the corner.

hogman99

Quote from: root_hawg on January 01, 2017, 01:59:03 pm
Who you going to get and how much of the $25 million for the buyouts you going to cough up?

Really tired of these "you going to contribute to the buyout?"crap. Who approved that buyout? Answer would be the Razorback Foundation, not the U of A. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't approve an amount if they don't already have it in the bank. So please stop with this who's going to pay the buyout.

Bebop

Quote from: luke hawg on January 01, 2017, 03:32:05 pm
It's 50/50 and I' would lose my mind if we fired him on a coin flip.

I understand your caution and wanting to wait another year. I get it. I don't think, however, much will change in regards to the problems that we have seen. If they do, I will gladly admit that I was wrong. Based on the overall evidence, however, I don't think I will be.

He has hand a handful of real, good wins: Florida, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Lsu (x2). With that said, however, there are more games that have either been abysmal, choke-jobs, and/or real head scratchers. This season is not an anomaly in the revelation of our deficiencies. They have been there the entire time. The only difference is that they have been exaggerated more.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: luke hawg on January 01, 2017, 03:39:58 pm
My expectation is an SEC championship in his 7-10 year here. For this to happen next year needs to be a new high for his program. He has to create excitement and continue to improve recruiting. It cracks me up how many people are ready to bail just as thing could turn the corner.

Recruiting is decent, but really isn't measurably better than before.  The biggest improvement isn't better talent as much as its been reducing attrition.  Recruiting is no where near where it needs to be to win an SECC.  But I don't blame BB for that.  He's not a miracle worker. 

He's not going to win the SEC in 7-10 years unless something drastic changes within the conference.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

luke hawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 03:52:55 pm
Recruiting is decent, but really isn't measurably better than before.  The biggest improvement isn't better talent as much as its been reducing attrition.  Recruiting is no where near where it needs to be to win an SECC.  But I don't blame BB for that.  He's not a miracle worker. 

He's not going to win the SEC in 7-10 years unless something drastic changes within the conference.

Saban needs to leave or start regressing.

luke hawg

Quote from: alohawg on January 01, 2017, 03:59:08 pm
He is who he is (25-26) and it's not good enough.

If you're going to count year 1, he deserves to get year 5

lakecityhog

Look, I have said MULTIPLE times that I don't want BB fired and I don't!
We don't need to start over AGAIN! We need stability, a 7 to 10 year run with the same coach competing at a high level. The program needs this desperately!

But, there seem to be certain inescapable facts that too many people are willing to overlook and even make excuses for. Four years in a row should constitute a trend and four years in a row we have blown half time leads. Four years in a row we have laid the proverbial egg in winnable games and in some cases "take for granted" games.

Our defenses have gotten progressively worse and I mean setting all-time records worse. We struggle with some of the most fundamental aspects of the game. And this from kids that have played the game for YEARS! MANY High Schools field better special teams than we do.

I feel like some of us are going a bit overboard with some of the comments made and the "fire them all" mantra is a bit much. I hate the level of personal attacks and wish that the Mods would take better control there. I don't care about his weight, I don't care if he loves dogs or cats those are personal and have nothing to do with coaching.

But, by the same token if some of you cannot look at some of the recurring problems and not have real concerns is disturbing. I seem to remember very similar reactions to Nutt's failures and how that affected the team and the program.

I really believe that JL would like to have a "do over" on BB's extension. I don't think that he would have upped the buyout again. But, he did and we have to live with that for at least 2 more years. I am ok with that, BB has 2 more full seasons to get things corrected. If after year 6 we are still seeing the same issues it will be time to make the change. At that point EVERYONE will know and EVERYONE will be able to say that BB was given every opportunity to succeed.

Even then I believe that Arkansas will be the winner. We will be in better shape roster wise and whoever the new coach would be won't be starting from scratch.

rude1

If the idea is to run a clean(minus stealing and spitting) program,  and win 7-8 games a season, we have our guy. If you want the occassional 9-10 win seasons, it's not likely to happen. The reason is simple, he just isn't a good enough coach to be consistent enough to get those extra wins. The last two years could/should have been his 9-10 win seasons and us not even having to have this conversation. But in true Nutt fashion, he will inexplicably drop games he should win. Tack on Toledo and TT two years ago you have ten, and that's not mentioning coughing up wins against aTm and MsState where a win looked completely in reach that same season. This year we have the back to back collapses to end the season.  In light of this obvious pattern, why is there belief that he at some point is going to be something he hasn't shown to be and put a consistent team on the field that will play a consistent 4 quarters for an entire year?

luke hawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 04:09:19 pm
If the idea is to run a clean(minus stealing and spitting) program,  and win 7-8 games a season, we have our guy. If you want the occassional 9-10 win seasons, it's not likely to happen. The reason is simple, he just isn't a good enough coach to be consistent enough to get those extra wins. The last two years could/should have been his 9-10 win seasons and us not even having to have this conversation. But in true Nutt fashion, he will inexplicably drop games he should win. Tack on Toledo and TT two years ago you have ten, and that's not mentioning coughing up wins against aTm and MsState where a win looked completely in reach that same season. This year we have the back to back collapses to end the season.  In light of this obvious pattern, why is there belief that he at some point is going to be something he hasn't shown to be and put a consistent team on the field that will play a consistent 4 quarters for an entire year?

The ability to play power football and run over middle tier programs. This is when Bielema thrives. He has a very experienced unit up front next year with 3 talented backs. If he isn't able to smash people next season, it isn't going to happen. Bielema doesn't want to be flinging it out of the shotgun in the 4th quarter. This year was about surviving.

sowmonella

Early entry for the 2017 stupid post of the year award.  The Hogs dominated the Gators.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

rude1

Quote from: luke hawg on January 01, 2017, 04:52:15 pm
The ability to play power football and run over middle tier programs. This is when Bielema thrives. He has a very experienced unit up front next year with 3 talented backs. If he isn't able to smash people next season, it isn't going to happen. Bielema doesn't want to be flinging it out of the shotgun in the 4th quarter. This year was about surviving.
How many middle tier programs do we play? Seems to me this philosophy has a very small window of success. O Line maybe better, but if you have been paying attention, every other program other than us are stocking up speed on the D-Line, did you not notice what Mo. was able to do to our line with the faster D-Line?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sowmonella on January 01, 2017, 05:08:15 pm
Early entry for the 2017 stupid post of the year award.  The Hogs dominated the Gators.

Yes, we'd own the 2016 gator team over and over again.  They were offensively inept.  Like our defense.  Wish we could have played them in 2015 too.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:11:05 pm
Yes, we'd own the 2016 gator team over and over again.  They were offensively inept.  Like our defense.  Wish we could have played them in 2015 too.
And then they turn around and go to LSU and win.  Nothing makes sense.

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:11:05 pm
Well it wouldn't it depend on whether we won the game before playing them or lost the game playing before them?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:20:26 pm
Well it wouldn't it depend on whether we won the game before playing them or lost the game playing before them?

I'm not following the question.

rude1

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:44:08 pm
We won after a loss, and loss after a win all season long.

That was just the schedule.  Nothing magical to it.  Other than the MO game, every game fell as it should have.  We played a better team one week and lost, then a worse team the next week and won.  MO was the only anomaly.

We were easily better than FL in 2016.  Because we didn't have to worry about accounting for their QB.  makes life pretty easy.

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:48:29 pm
That was just the schedule.  Nothing magical to it.  Other than the MO game, every game fell as it should have.  We played a better team one week and lost, then a worse team the next week and won.  MO was the only anomaly.

We were easily better than FL in 2016.  Because we didn't have to worry about accounting for their QB.  makes life pretty easy.
I disagree it illustrates to me we were up and down. The Fl. game was an anomaly too IMO, a team that was deadly against the run, we ran on at will, something we would not repeat on anyone of that caliber.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:51:08 pm
I disagree it illustrates to me we were up and down. The Fl. game was an anomaly too IMO, a team that was deadly against the run, we ran on at will, something we would not repeat on anyone of that caliber.

What other games were anomalies?

rude1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 05:52:09 pm
What other games were anomalies?
MsState? We never punted or that game could have easily ended up in the loss column by the way the defense was getting gashed themselves.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:54:15 pm
MsState? We never punted or that game could have easily ended up in the loss column by the way the defense was getting gashed themselves.

Then we disagree.  MSU wasn't better than we were.  Not saying we are measurably better, but easily good enough to beat MSU this season.   There are always tough games. 

And I think you've only acknowledged 3 games that didn't go the way they probably should have...MSU, FL, and MO.  Any others?  Because, ironically, that's more up than down.

EastexHawg

The logic is simple.  We've seen what Bielema can do.  We can do better.  We know we can do better because we did better...much better...recently.

When you realize something isn't working, you quit doing it.

There's your logic.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 01, 2017, 06:03:25 pm
The logic is simple.  We've seen what Bielema can do.  We can do better.  We know we can do better because we did better...much better...recently.

When you realize something isn't working, you quit doing it.

There's your logic.

Completely agree, but as much as you probably don't want to believe it, BP may have been the biggest anomaly in the history of our program.  He was like catching lighting in a bottle.  Heck, we didn't even pursue him.  He fell into Long's lap, because he was desperate.  Ironically, we were getting desperate too...Tommy Bowden and Jim Grobe.  Talk about us being in the right place at the right time. 

Not repeatable. 

Pig Worshipper

If you are truly objective you have to admit that Coach Bielema has underperformed as our head football coach. With the buyout, though, he's not going anywhere so we better all pull for him to turn it around these next two years.

What is most disturbing to me is his apparent lack of the self-awareness needed to improve his approach to coaching in the SEC. What he did in the Big 10 is not working here. Most definitely, changes need to be made and they start with his approach. I guarantee that Nick Saban, because he is at Alabama, could probably still win with a plodding, slobber-knocking offense like the old Bama. But, and this is part of his genius, he has gotten out of his comfort zone and updated his offensive approach.

I think Coach Bielema is a hell of a great guy and I was very happy to have him come to Arkansas. But I've seen a stubbornness and an unwillingness to learn in him, I'm sad to say, and I no longer expect him to be able to field teams that are occasionally competing for championships. At four million a year, Arkansans should expect and get better.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 03:34:21 pm

The fanbase is largely uninformed and in no way has the info to be making decisions.  As Bobby Knight said, if you listen to the fans you'll be sitting with them.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 01, 2017, 06:55:04 pm
The fanbase is largely uninformed and in no way has the info to be making decisions.  As Bobby Knight said, if you listen to the fans you'll be sitting with them.

Most of the fans can read a scoreboard.

You didn't mention this, but regarding the "we can't get anyone who is better" notion, that is the same thing we heard for years about Nutt.