Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Mitchell

Started by swinesation, March 18, 2010, 08:55:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: 12247 on March 19, 2010, 05:01:40 pm
Because we Hogvillers seem to believe there are Greenwood idiots and/or Mallett idiots, it is dangerous to brag about either Wilson or Mallett too much.  No doubt Mallett is the pretty boy QB who has the style, size and strength to win the pretty girl, the big NFL contract, the photo on the front of the mags, etc, Tyler Wilson has proven that he can move the ball when he is practicing daily and working with players he is familiar with.  He did it last year in the spring game and again in the fall practices, moving the twos against the one defense.
Mallett should be by far the best QB to date here at Arkansas, but so far, that hasn't proven true.  The only game Mallett carried last year was the GA game and our D just lost that game in spite of Mallett's super efforts.  Point is, I think Wilson can win as many as Mallett next year unless Mallett improves his game.  We cannot win big in the SEC without a great 3rd down percentage success and we've not had that with Mallett so far.  Now if Mallett learns and puts that knowledge to work, its lights out and the other QBs will all be playing for clean up duty and hoping they are the one after Mallett is drafted in the top 3 in the draft.

Mallet can do some things Wilson can't and Wilson can do some things Mallett can't.  Apparently, in Petrino's opinion, Mallet is the QB that he thinks can lead the Hogs to more victories and if you argue anything to the contrary you look like an uninformed fan with an agenda.  ALL Hog fans want nothing more than for ALL our QBs to be damn good and that includes Wilson or whomever it might be.  For you to claim that Wilson can win as many games as Mallett next year, unless Mallett improves, implies that you know more than Petrino.  Your statement is idiotic and laughable.

pigfunk

Quote from: spatownsteve on March 20, 2010, 02:27:16 pm

Really? Wow.

Mallett's a stud, and any coach that's not named Petrino would gladly sacrifice a body part to have him on their team.

Tyler is a serviceable back-up, but the exchange under center is always gonna make me hold my breath during any game he plays in.
Tyler seems like a great kid but IMO he hasn't even proven that he is a "servicable back-up!"
Mitchell is the future of Petrino's Razorbacks. He is the perfect type of QB to manage CBP's offense. Look for this young man to get gametime reps this year and start when RM leaves for the show...

PorcineSublime

Why is it that every time we talk about Brandon someone says that he is the perfect QB for Pertino's system, insinuating that Bobby needs a running QB for his system. Did Bobby run the triple option at some time in the past that I don't remember? I have no idea who the QB will be after next year, but I don't think that it will default to the best runner. I am just puzzled by this insistance that we need a "dual threat" QB. If he ends up being the starter, it will be because he can run the offense, which includes a lot of different passing plays. Sorry for the rant.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

spatownsteve

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 21, 2010, 06:27:35 pm
Why is it that every time we talk about Brandon someone says that he is the perfect QB for Pertino's system, insinuating that Bobby needs a running QB for his system. Did Bobby run the triple option at some time in the past that I don't remember? I have no idea who the QB will be after next year, but I don't think that it will default to the best runner. I am just puzzled by this insistance that we need a "dual threat" QB. If he ends up being the starter, it will be because he can run the offense, which includes a lot of different passing plays. Sorry for the rant.

My thoughts on the subject were pretty clear, I thought. I didn't say Petrino needs a "dual threat quarterback" to run his system, nor did I classify BM as a "running quarterback". I didn't even insinuate it. I simply believe a quarterback who can make all the passes Petrino wants him to and still be mobile enough to elude the pass rush is exactly the kind of QB that would excel in this offense.

If Mallett was more mobile in the backfield, he would have completed quite a few more third-down passes last year, instead of wasting a possession picking himself up off the ground or nearly decapitating someone in the stands with a throw-away.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."         Winston Churchill
------------------------------------------------------------------

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile."
      Hunter S. Thompson

Killean

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 21, 2010, 06:27:35 pm

Bobby wants a pocket passer who can throw the ball and who can run the ball.  He wants like the bastard love child of Peyton Manning and Michael Vick with Tom Brady's pocket presence.

Or Steve Young..
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Smithian

Bobby Petrino and his stuff are digging the spread, girls and boys. I know a friend of Mike Summers and I know coaches who have talked to the Arkansas coaches, they're drooling at the idea of a big armed athlete behind center. That is why they were so ecstatic over Brandon Mitchell and want a guy like Kiehl Frazier a ton. They'll never turn down a big time pocket passer like Ryan Mallett, but they're digging the idea of a dual threat guy back there.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: spatownsteve on March 21, 2010, 06:48:52 pm
My thoughts on the subject were pretty clear, I thought. I didn't say Petrino needs a "dual threat quarterback" to run his system, nor did I classify BM as a "running quarterback". I didn't even insinuate it. I simply believe a quarterback who can make all the passes Petrino wants him to and still be mobile enough to elude the pass rush is exactly the kind of QB that would excel in this offense.

If Mallett was more mobile in the backfield, he would have completed quite a few more third-down passes last year, instead of wasting a possession picking himself up off the ground or nearly decapitating someone in the stands with a throw-away.
Sorry, wasn't really calling you out, lots of other threads have made that case and I guess I just lumped this one in with them. It would be a mistake for BP to fall in love with the spread IMHO. He has the advantage of being  prostyle offensive coach, give that up and you lose one of the few edges you have at AR. Then again I have never coached a down of college FB, so MHO is not likely worth a lot.

Smithian

We'll never be a true spread team, but our coaches want a dual threat guy so they can find a bit of middle ground between a spread and a pro style offense.

Choctaw Hog

I'm not sure what the argument is about what type of QB Petrino wants as he has stated it many times.  He has stated that he wants pass 1st QB who is a "willing runner". 

KlubhouseKonnected

good thing he has another year to work this out. he is still my pick to replace the man in 011
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 23, 2010, 01:24:02 am
good thing he has another year to work this out. he is still my pick to replace the man in 011
He needs to solidify himself as the number 2 QB if he is going to pull that off.  Right now TW has a 1 year lead on learning the playbook.  If mitchell puts in the extra work to catch up with TW in that respect, then things could get real interesting in next years spring practice.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2010, 11:16:54 am
He needs to solidify himself as the number 2 QB if he is going to pull that off.  Right now TW has a 1 year lead on learning the playbook.  If mitchell puts in the extra work to catch up with TW in that respect, then things could get real interesting in next years spring practice.

I never expected BM to jump Tyler on the depth chart until after the season. I think it would be a bad move for team chemistry. It won't really be an issue of Tyler or Brandon umtil next spring, and I suspect that BM will pull it out the following fall.

Unless they have to the coaches shouldn't hint at what they want to do either way for fear of a transfer. 
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 23, 2010, 11:36:35 am
I never expected BM to jump Tyler on the depth chart until after the season. I think it would be a bad move for team chemistry. It won't really be an issue of Tyler or Brandon umtil next spring, and I suspect that BM will pull it out the following fall.

Unless they have to the coaches shouldn't hint at what they want to do either way for fear of a transfer. 
I agree, while adding that while Brandon may need more polish as a QB, he definitely has the mentoring and coaching available to attain that. 

whoever gets the nod next year will have an outstanding group of WR's to throw the ball to.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

coglesby

Don't forget about Jacoby Walker.  He is already enrolled and attending in the spring semester. I am guessing he will redshirt but he is available in case Brandon doesn't pan out or leaves early.

Hog Fan from Camden

My guess is CBP had a ton of ideas for a mobile QB (Vick) when he took the Atlanta job.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on March 23, 2010, 10:02:25 pm
My guess is CBP had a ton of ideas for a mobile QB (Vick) when he took the Atlanta job.

And none of them have ever worked for any NFL coach.  What does he have, one playoff win in his career?  He consistently has one of the lowest passer ratings in the league.  His career rating is 75.9.  In last year's NFL that would have been roughly the same rating as Chad Henne, and several points below future Hall of Famers like Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, and Jason Campbell.

With Michael Vick from 2001-2006 the Falcons were 47-48-1.  The last two years, with Matt Ryan playing his rookie year and second seasons at the starter, they are 20-12.

Michael Vick sucks as an NFL QB.  He is a novelty at best, a bust as a #1 pick at worst. 

I think Jim Mora pretty well summed it up when he referred to him as the "Coach Killer". 

beansandtaters

Quote from: Killean on March 21, 2010, 06:50:24 pm
Bobby wants a pocket passer who can throw the ball and who can run the ball.  He wants like the bastard love child of Peyton Manning and Michael Vick with Tom Brady's pocket presence.

Or Steve Young..

What is funny to me is that fans are shocked that Bobby would love to have a guy with Mallet's throwing prowess, but Steve Young's ability to use his legs. What football coach wouldn't? The bottom line is, even if you are mobile, you're not going to start unless you can throw the ball.

Choctaw Hog, my opinion of our QB situation is my opinion and infers nothing concerning my knowledge of football versus Petrino's.  My guess is Petrino can see the greater POTENTIAL in Mallett over Wilson and I would add, over nearly every other NCAA QB in America.  I would also guess that Petrino believes he can improve Mallett and get much of that POTENTIAL onto the field.  I would ask you to honestly think back and point out one game Mallett won for us last year.  To say another QB could win as many as Mallett could win next year unless he improves his game is not a far stretch. 

PorcineSublime

Quote from: beansandtaters on March 24, 2010, 10:42:41 am
What is funny to me is that fans are shocked that Bobby would love to have a guy with Mallet's throwing prowess, but Steve Young's ability to use his legs. What football coach wouldn't? The bottom line is, even if you are mobile, you're not going to start unless you can throw the ball.
This is what I was trying to say in my post (without the rant). I agree 100%.

TexHog188

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 24, 2010, 09:15:46 am
I think Jim Mora pretty well summed it up when he referred to him as the "Coach Killer". 

With all due respect to Jim "PLAYOFFS!" Mora, Michael Vick is no Latrell Spreewell.  Now there's a Coach Killer.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

PorkSoda

Quote from: 12247 on March 24, 2010, 10:44:30 am
Choctaw Hog, my opinion of our QB situation is my opinion and infers nothing concerning my knowledge of football versus Petrino's.  My guess is Petrino can see the greater POTENTIAL in Mallett over Wilson and I would add, over nearly every other NCAA QB in America.  I would also guess that Petrino believes he can improve Mallett and get much of that POTENTIAL onto the field.  I would ask you to honestly think back and point out one game Mallett won for us last year.  To say another QB could win as many as Mallett could win next year unless he improves his game is not a far stretch. 
This is a team sport, Mallett can't win without receivers, the offense can't win without the Defense and special teams.  It takes a complete game from a complete team to win games in the SEC. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2010, 09:50:55 pm
If you re-read your own post, I think one way to summarize it might be to say, "He had a lot of potential coming out of high school but wasn't overly accomplished or polished in the passing game."  I think that's basically what I said in a different way.

And, I think it's pretty close to what Bobby Petrino is still saying after Mitchell has spent one full year in the program:

My mistake.  I thought that you were trying to imply that Mitchell was a Matt Jones type of player, who was able to make plays simply because he was a great athlete, not because of his arm/head.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

pigfunk

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 19, 2010, 03:38:21 pm
I still think its a little overblown.  He dropped like 2 in practice last fall, mallet dropped 1 in a game last fall that was luckily recovered.  Even the most routine things have a margin for error.   It's gonna happen.  I would honestly be very suprised if he has a problem taking snaps by the time he sees the field or even this spring.
I'd like to see the percentage of fumbled & bobbled snaps to total snaps for the two!

Red Tusk

Quote from: coglesby on March 23, 2010, 09:36:57 pm
Don't forget about Jacoby Walker.  He is already enrolled and attending in the spring semester. I am guessing he will redshirt but he is available in case Brandon doesn't pan out or leaves early.

I wasn't aware he had already graduated until I saw an earlier post in this thread. Watched some video and he looks good against pretty decent talent in hs. Makes good decisions from what I saw.
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright