Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carrying a gun while traveling?

Started by Aeschere, October 01, 2009, 09:46:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Does anyone have experience carrying a gun while traveling to an unfamiliar area (i.e. Dallas this weekend)? Im familiar with the laws in AR, OK, and TX, all of which state that you can carry a handgun while "traveling". However, I know that regardless of its legality I could still spend the night in jail depending on the mood of the officer in the event he finds the gun. If anyone has experience with this issue your input is welcome.

Table Rocker

I once got pulled over in McAlester, OK because I had a U of A license plate bracket that the officer said was illegal because it covered part of the state name. He hassled me for 10 minutes while another officer shined his flashlight through my back windows. That pretty much told me all I need to know about the law in Oklahoma, especially on the roads from Fayetteville to the Texas state line.

BloodRedHog

I am fairly certain carrying in glovebox in those three states are OK.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

hawgdavis

If you get stopped let the officer know about it . They appreciate It.

e_dub

Not sure if you have a CCW or not, but hit the drop down box on this website and it will show you reciprocal laws for each state.

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

Brass Knob

Quote from: Aeschere on October 01, 2009, 09:46:35 pm
Does anyone have experience carrying a gun while traveling to an unfamiliar area (i.e. Dallas this weekend)? Im familiar with the laws in AR, OK, and TX, all of which state that you can carry a handgun while "traveling". However, I know that regardless of its legality I could still spend the night in jail depending on the mood of the officer in the event he finds the gun. If anyone has experience with this issue your input is welcome.

You could just go the easy route and not get pulled over... haha  ;)

ppdmike

The "traveling" aspect of the Texas law was removed and you can carry a firearm in your vehicle as long as it is concealed.  When the "traveling" aspect of the law was still in play, it could depend on the officer's belief of your story.....however, now you are good to go as long as you keep it in your car.
"Credit should go with the performance of duty, and not with what is very often the accident of glory." -T.Roosevelt

Sweet Kitten Feet

We have the "castle doctrine"  basically states that your car is an extension of your castle and you can use deadly force to defend it.  You can carry a legal weapon in your car but it must be concealed, not in plain sight.  And you must not brandish it.

If you have specific questions I'd contact the Texas DPS, or any LEO or agency in the DFW area.

aloha_kid

Texas is a pretty good state.  Here are a couple of pretty good links:

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on October 01, 2009, 10:06:34 pm
You can carry a loade concealed hand gun in Texas. Your vehicle is an extension of your home as viewed under TX Law. Many Texans carry daily.

You can carry a loaded concealed hand gun in Texas in your car.  You can't carry it on your person without a CCW permit. Also I'm not sure that OK has the same castle law.   

aloha_kid

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on October 01, 2009, 10:20:06 pm

You can carry a loaded concealed hand gun in Texas in your car.  You can't carry it on your person without a CCW permit. Also I'm not sure that OK has the same castle law.  

Just make sure it is not accessible by minors.  By this I mean, it's in the glove box and a minor is in the passenger seat.  That's where they can get you.

Aeschere

October 01, 2009, 10:27:44 pm #11 Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:29:38 pm by Aeschere

I know for a fact you are allowed to carry in your car through all three states when traveling. The question is how receptive are police to this law.

losthawg68

a state trooper comes and gives a briefing at my job each year (TX).  he had a lot to say on the matter, but, to sum it all up, if you get pulled over, keep your hands on the wheel until he asks you for anything and be sure to let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle.  according to him, do that and you'll be fine.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Calling All Hogs

October 01, 2009, 10:46:09 pm #13 Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:51:58 pm by CallMeHog
I really don't think I'd need a gun at the new stadium. At the old Cotton Bowl, however, I almost got mugged just stopping for gas near the stadium. They ought to allow automatic weapons there!

Hogblog

Aeschere

Quote from: losthawg68 on October 01, 2009, 10:40:05 pm
a state trooper comes and gives a briefing at my job each year (TX).  he had a lot to say on the matter, but, to sum it all up, if you get pulled over, keep your hands on the wheel until he asks you for anything and be sure to let him know that there is a firearm in the vehicle.  according to him, do that and you'll be fine.

Thanks

Pigsknuckles

In Oklahoma, you must have a Concealed Carry permit from OK or a reciprocal state to legally carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle. Unloaded weapons can be carried "in plain sight", cased or racked. Castle laws only speak to the legal use of a weapon, not the priveledge to carry it.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HOGSWEAT

I heard Mallett just carries a football around.

justanotherdisappointedfn

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on October 01, 2009, 11:03:41 pm
In Oklahoma, you must have a Concealed Carry permit from OK or a reciprocal state to legally carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle. Unloaded weapons can be carried "in plain sight", cased or racked. Castle laws only speak to the legal use of a weapon, not the priveledge to carry it.

That doesn't make much sense. How could you possibly use a weapon that you weren't able to have with you?

If you have an Arkansas concealed weapon permit, and who doesn't, you're good to carry one in your vehicle as long as it's kept out of plain sight. In ANY jurisdiction if you get pulled over and don't notify the officer that you have a concealed weapon in the vehicle if they ask, and they will ALWAYS ask if they intend to search, you will be arrested, permit or not.

Pigsknuckles

October 01, 2009, 11:19:35 pm #19 Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:23:04 pm by Pigsknuckles
Quote from: justanotherdisappointedfn on October 01, 2009, 11:09:48 pm
That doesn't make much sense. How could you possibly use a weapon that you weren't able to have with you?

If you have an Arkansas concealed weapon permit, and who doesn't, you're good to carry one in your vehicle as long as it's kept out of plain sight. In ANY jurisdiction if you get pulled over and don't notify the officer that you have a concealed weapon in the vehicle if they ask, and they will ALWAYS ask if they intend to search, you will be arrested, permit or not.

They are separate issues. In Oklahoma you must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in public. If you have occasion to use that weapon, you have the protection of the applicable castle laws that say your vehicle, or person, is an extension of your home. However, even if you legally use your weapon in self defense, you could still be prosecuted for illegal carry if you do not have the permit. Different states have different laws.

The short version is: If you plan to carry, get a permit, and check for reciprocity.

trippigs

wilbur

If you have a conceal permit, Texas & Oklahoma will recognize it.  If you don't, always live by two rules:  1.  Don't do anything stupid where an officer will have cause to search your vehicle.  2.  Don't give consent to search your vehicle if he doesn't have cause. 
Last year, Planned Parent was responsible for "terminating" the lives of 90,000 black babies.  How many black babies did the Confederate flag kill?

Ineptocracy:

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

ronmahony

Quote from: CallMeHog on October 01, 2009, 10:46:09 pm
I really don't think I'd need a gun at the new stadium. At the old Cotton Bowl, however, I almost got mugged just stopping for gas near the stadium. They ought to allow automatic weapons there!

Don't bet on it. We just finished remodeling the Wal-Mart across the street from the new stadium, I had two spray rigs stolen out of the job trailer, one in broad daylight. The Hotel we were staying at was right across I-30, there were 5 vehicles broken into over a week or two, the people would just walk up, bust the passenger window, so if you have a tom-tom or anything like that showing, conceal it.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

SRFL

I'm toting a set of throwing stars. 

farmermike

i can speak from experience that you better not be carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle in illinois, it's a felony carry and conceal or not.  i got lucky and didn't get the felony, but i sure didn't enjoy being handcuffed in the sleet and freezing rain while the trooper ran my license.  i had spoken to a missouri trooper earlier in the day about the same thing and he told me it was legal in missouri.  i have also been pulled over in louisiana and told by an officer it was legal there.

jwebb55

October 02, 2009, 11:05:57 am #25 Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:07:29 am by jwebb55
The law itself.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf

It is very similar to Arkansas' law on concealed carry. Permit required of course.

PorkSoda

Quote from: losthawg68 on October 01, 2009, 10:40:05 pm
This is good advice, I got a gun pulled me by an rookie officer that seemed a little spooked when I did not follow this advice as a teenager.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: Table Rocker on October 01, 2009, 09:49:29 pm
I once got pulled over in McAlester, OK because I had a U of A license plate bracket that the officer said was illegal because it covered part of the state name. He hassled me for 10 minutes while another officer shined his flashlight through my back windows. That pretty much told me all I need to know about the law in Oklahoma, especially on the roads from Fayetteville to the Texas state line.
Nothing sounds illegal there. They had all the rights in the world to look in your car and to pull you over.
2010 Liberty Bowl Champions!!

mountainhog

I think,  If you have a conceal and carry permit, all the bordering states of arkansas honors that permit.

healthyhog

Quote from: SRFL on October 02, 2009, 09:12:05 am
I'm toting a set of throwing stars.
Would probably do just as much good as carrying a gun around with you.

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: mountainhog on October 02, 2009, 11:38:04 am
I think,  If you have a conceal and carry permit, all the bordering states of arkansas honors that permit.
Not necessarily, it depends on individual state laws.

mountainhog

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on October 02, 2009, 11:43:43 am
Not necessarily, it depends on individual state laws.

When we took our conceal course, that is what the training officer told us.

They gave us a book that has all that info in it, but that is what he said.

mountainhog

My co-worker says he looked it up in his book and every state that touches arkansas honors our permit fwiw.

HawgBallLvr

Quote from: mountainhog on October 02, 2009, 11:47:17 am
When we took our conceal course, that is what the training officer told us.

They gave us a book that has all that info in it, but that is what he said.
I'm not saying you're wrong. Not all states have the reciprocal agreements.

Texas does: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr021998.htm

As well as Arkansas: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

reds10

you think there might be something wrong with your driving if you're having that many encouters with the law???

Quote from: farmermike on October 02, 2009, 09:52:36 am
i can speak from experience that you better not be carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle in illinois, it's a felony carry and conceal or not.  i got lucky and didn't get the felony, but i sure didn't enjoy being handcuffed in the sleet and freezing rain while the trooper ran my license.  i had spoken to a missouri trooper earlier in the day about the same thing and he told me it was legal in missouri.  i have also been pulled over in louisiana and told by an officer it was legal there.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

mountainhog

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on October 02, 2009, 12:02:09 pm
I'm not saying you're wrong. Not all states have the reciprocal agreements.

Texas does: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr021998.htm

As well as Arkansas: http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html

He just told us that all BORDERING states honored our conceal carry. 

I know there is quite a few that dont honor ours, but the last I heard they were gonna try to make it a universal type for all states to be the same.

reds10

yeah, but it's funny that he's talked to so many cops about it... :)

Quote from: 2ndhogmendmet on October 02, 2009, 12:44:58 pm
Encounters with the law have nothing to do with conceal and carry. It's encounters with no law around you are worried about.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

jgphillips3

I highly recommend getting a conceal carry license.  I have one.  When you are pulled over, put both hands out of the window with the license and CC license in your hands.  When they see both hands and that license, they know where your hands are, that you have been through an FBI background check and that you are probably no threat.  Your time with the officer will go much better...trust me.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: farmermike on October 02, 2009, 09:52:36 am

Does loaded mean not having one in the chamber and in the magazine? or does it specifically mean it has to be in the chamber to be considered "loaded."
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Table Rocker

Never said it was illegal hawgballuvr, the point of my post that those officers were just looking for something to bust me for. Guy in his 20s with out of state tags driving through at night, that's why I was pulled over. Two cops pulled in behind me because of my 'license plate' bracket? Nice use of manpower there.

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgBallLvr on October 02, 2009, 11:25:16 am
Nothing sounds illegal there. They had all the rights in the world to look in your car and to pull you over.

Wouldn't all the rights have to include some sort of search warrant?  The 4th ammendment is just as important as the second.

losthawg68

Quote from: The Boar War on October 02, 2009, 02:08:59 pm
Wouldn't all the rights have to include some sort of search warrant?  The 4th ammendment is just as important as the second.

a warrant is not needed for a vehicle considering is a "non-staitionary" object, or it is mobile.
Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

Kilgor

Quote from: justanotherdisappointedfn on October 01, 2009, 11:09:48 pm

Nope.  Arkansas code does not require officer notification.  The Arkansas State Police guidelines say that you should, but this carries no force of law, and is not backed up in the Arkansas code.

Oklahoma and Texas do require it.

Here's a great website that should answer most questions:

http://handgunlaw.us/  Just click on the state you want to know about.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Kilgor

Quote from: losthawg68 on October 02, 2009, 02:12:28 pm
a warrant is not needed for a vehicle considering is a "non-staitionary" object, or it is mobile.

To search a vehicle an officer must obtain permission, lawfully arrest the person and search incident to the arrest, or be able to articulate probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence is in the vehicle. 

In the last case, prosecutors appreciate the officer getting a signed warrant before a search...

You DO have a right to privacy in your car,  Do NOT EVER give permission for a search regardless of how innocent you are.  If they could search your car without your consent, they would have already done it and would not ask permission.

The Boar War

Quote from: Kilgor on October 02, 2009, 02:20:19 pm
To search a vehicle an officer must obtain permission, lawfully arrest the person and search incident to the arrest, or be able to articulate probable cause that a crime was committed and evidence is in the vehicle. 

In the last case, prosecutors appreciate the officer getting a signed warrant before a search...

You DO have a right to privacy in your car,  Do NOT EVER give permission for a search regardless of how innocent you are.  If they could search your car without your consent, they would have already done it and would not ask permission.

Very true.  The original poster said they had every right to look in his car.  Thats correct as long as he is looking through the windows.  He has no right to search inside your car unless he has probable cause that a crime has or is being committed.  Certainly didn't seem the case in this situation.

Of course cars were not in the original wording but the fourth ammendment reads persons, houses, papers, and effects should not be unreasonably searched. 

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Kilgor on October 02, 2009, 02:15:02 pm
Nope.  Arkansas code does not require officer notification.  The Arkansas State Police guidelines say that you should, but this carries no force of law, and is not backed up in the Arkansas code.

Oklahoma and Texas do require it.

Here's a great website that should answer most questions:

http://handgunlaw.us/  Just click on the state you want to know about.

I'm from Oklahoma where notification is required. I have had two contact situations with police while I was carrying. Both times, I handed the officers both my license, and permit.  They both exhibited noticeable relief when they saw the permit. Once they knew I was carrying, and where the weapon was, we calmly took care of our business, and were on our way.

Kilgor

Quote from: oldman1015 on October 02, 2009, 02:30:12 pm
hang on, i'm calling plaxico.

He had a valid Florida concealed weapons license, which allowed him to carry in 36 states.  He had gone through all the background checks, training, etc. 

Isn't it sad that he will spend a few years in prison away from his family just because he exercised his right to protect himself (albeit poorly)?  This is one reason NYC will not get my tourism dollars.