Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on final approval on expansion on Thursday

Started by ricepig, June 15, 2016, 06:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

ricepig

Quote from: opineonswine on June 15, 2016, 05:32:44 pm
VOTE YES!!!

CALL YOUR BOARD MEMBER! I know a couple personally, next door neighbor to one, I fully expect it to pass 9-1, but one never knows.

Cinco de Hogo

Could the opposition have to do with the BAC itself?  Is it going away?  Where will Frank's name be in all this? 

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 15, 2016, 07:23:23 pm
Could the opposition have to do with the BAC itself?  Is it going away?  Where will Frank's name be in all this? 

They are rebuilding it with underground parking and private elevators, if what Irwin said is correct??

justmakeit2thebcs

J Tyson spent $20+ million on a golf course.  Couldn't get a loan from the bank, dad wouldn't give it to him or co-sign.  Had give himself the money as Chairman of the Board.  Stock price sucked until he stepped away from the day to day ops.  He has know clue as to how money needs to be spent.

hamARchy in the USA

It's a relief to see that sober minds are weighing in.  They are obviously concerned about the debt load.   To assume so much debt requires great confidence that economic trends will not substantially change.   With increasing turmoil throughout the world and financial markets teetering precariously the risk of a collapse is as high as it has ever been.  To take such a financial risk at this time is whistling past the graveyard.

ricepig

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 15, 2016, 09:03:26 pm
It's a relief to see that sober minds are weighing in.  They are obviously concerned about the debt load.   To assume so much debt requires great confidence that economic trends will not substantially change.   With increasing turmoil throughout the world and financial markets teetering precariously the risk of a collapse is as high as it has ever been.  To take such a financial risk at this time is whistling past the graveyard.

L O L

26.2Hog

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Repossessing an entire stadium due to an economic collapse. That might require two or three tow trucks.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

rzrbackramsfan

It's football in Arkansas not a marine shipping company in Singapore lol.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Justifiable Hogicide

Some of these "opponents" are nursing personal grudges, some are chasing publicity and based on their arguments, they don't even understand the project or its financing.

reddogjcss

Jeff Long has done a great job and been right 99.95% of the time, if Long say build it than build it. Until he is proven wrong go with his decisions. This Tysons and others just doing Pryor some pay back for some favor he has done for them to make more money. Surely they want let a rich few ruin this.
All sports going the right direction under Long so do what Long says.
No bull politics!!!!

hamARchy in the USA

Timing is everything.  Revisit this thread in two years and see who is still laughing.

Oklahawg

I scanned the ADG article and it didn't seem to acknowledge that the RF has wealthy donors willing to spend for ritzy accommodations. Many have already signed on. There is a waiting list for those we already have.

This is why everything new is fancy and only adds a few seats.

Vote YES.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 15, 2016, 12:59:54 pm
From the proposal...

"This project will be funded entirely by athletic revenues, gifts, and bond proceeds from a future bond issue. Bonds will be amortized using athletic revenues generated from the stadium. NO UNIVERSITY FUNDS, STATE FUNDS, OR STUDENT FEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT."

From the op-ed...

"With the financial support from the state already under serious pressure, and consideration being given to completely changing how state support is calculated (to focus on "outcomes" instead of simple enrollment numbers), and with tuition continuing to skyrocket making it more and more difficult for the average student to be able to afford higher education, we simply believe this is a terrible time for the U. of A. Fayetteville to be making a commitment to this kind of debt, especially for this purpose. We encourage the Board of Trustees to slow this project down and continue to review its priorities."

Some folks appear to be reading impaired.

Yeah, lets kick this can down the road a few years. I'm sure the cost will be much less then. /sarcasm

Johnny Tyson has never been the sharpest tool in the shed from what some people who worked with him told me back around the time he resigned as CEO.

ricepig

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 15, 2016, 10:04:17 pm
Timing is everything.  Revisit this thread in two years and see who is still laughing.

Ok, George, did you buy some more gold?

jkstock04

I read through Tysons comments online last night...it seemed a bit weird to me, however I'm also not going to pretend to know exact number breakdowns to challenge what he says either. Him going on and on about how we rarely sell the current seating out is probably true...however this isn't really about extra seating. 3k extra chairbacks down close will sell easily (in my opinion).

Basically all I know is what I have read on here (lol right) that there is a waiting list a mile long for these expensive private boxes and that's how this thing will pay for itself. So basically (if I remember correctly) these boxes will require a commitment of 3 million dollar pledge/3 years (if I remember correctly).

I'm curious to see specific number breakdown assuming these boxes and extra seating sell out every year. How much extra revenue will it bring/year?  Does anyone know how many of these private boxes there will be?

I do have to say the comments about fancy parking so the admin don't have to walk in the rain were pretty funny. sour grapes from some guy born with one of the biggest silver spoons in the entire world...but funny sour grapes at that. I mean hell! We can't be having our prized "AD of the year" have to walk through a parking lot to work. What if it's raining or hot outside! Lol
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 15, 2016, 10:04:17 pm

What?

I would agree that adding another 25000 seats to a stadium that rarely sells out now would be a ridiculous idea. But that is not what is happening, not at all.

Is this "selective reading" a condition that people actually have? Because it is as plain as day what the plan is, and some people are still bitching about it taking food off of poor people's tables. Good Lord.

Inhogswetrust

The athletic department has NEVER defaulted on debt and they have had a lot of it. Do you think the TV money streams will dry up or something? They didn't in the last recession. I've lived through a few economic downturns and the stadium was never empty of fans either. There is always an economic risk and ups and downs. To say the world is teetering is disingenuous. Are you some economic forecaster that thinks the world is coming to an end. Make sure you stock up on water, weapons, canned food and toilet paper in your survival bunker............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 15, 2016, 09:26:34 pm
Repossessing an entire stadium due to an economic collapse. That might require two or three tow trucks.

It's Arkansas. I'm sure the bank President has a wench on the front of his Pick-up that can be used instead.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 16, 2016, 06:05:22 am
It's Arkansas. I'm sure the bank President has a wench on the front of his Pick-up that can be used instead.

A little difference between a mobile home, and a stadium. They'll probably need the big stuff from Caterpillar.

PonderinHog

I wonder what the impound lot would charge per day and would it be cheaper than the rent at WMS ???  Discuss...

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 16, 2016, 06:00:04 am
The athletic department has NEVER defaulted on debt and they have had a lot of it. Do you think the TV money streams will dry up or something? They didn't in the last recession. I've lived through a few economic downturns and the stadium was never empty of fans either. There is always an economic risk and ups and downs. To say the world is teetering is disingenuous. Are you some economic forecaster that thinks the world is coming to an end. Make sure you stock up on water, weapons, canned food and toilet paper in your survival bunker............................

Wait, he may be on to something. It was after the economic collapse of 2008 that I was able to finally add 1 seat to my row in the summer of 2009.......

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 06:35:33 am
Wait, he may be on to something. It was after the economic collapse of 2008 that I was able to finally add 1 seat to my row in the summer of 2009.......

I remember using Jimmy Carter's gas ration coupons to go to games a few years ago.................. 

Theolesnort

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 16, 2016, 06:00:04 am
Yep, spend that SEC Network money on something that will give a return on the investment and those kind of seats will do the trick for years to come. Incidential to all this, the extra seats we now have will dry up quick if Bielema builds what he intends to build. Be proactive instead of reactive.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 16, 2016, 07:23:07 am
Yep, spend that SEC Network money on something that will give a return on the investment and those kind of seats will do the trick for years to come. Incidential to all this, the extra seats we now have will dry up quick if Bielema builds what he intends to build. Be proactive instead of reactive.

And freshening up RRS will, without a doubt, give Bielema another tool to work with.

Sivad

Let's hope the current board does the right and the intelligent thing and passes it today.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: LZH on June 16, 2016, 05:59:55 am
What?

I would agree that adding another 25000 seats to a stadium that rarely sells out now would be a ridiculous idea. But that is not what is happening, not at all.

Is this "selective reading" a condition that people actually have? Because it is as plain as day what the plan is, and some people are still bitching about it taking food off of poor people's tables. Good Lord.

I too wonder about selective reading.  The plan as described is a long term debt commitment.  Now is the time to be getting out of debt, not piling it on, as cyclical trend analysis tells us.  Additionally, the world is still in the early stages of a trend toward increasing violence.  What if Orlando had occurred in a college football venue ?  How would that affect attendance across the college football landscape as well as other sports venues ?  It's a safe bet that attendance would not be increasing and it is likely that attendance would be falling, perhaps dramatically.

If all of this were being done totally with private contributions that would be one thing, but, well more than half of the money to be spent is going to be borrowed by the university through the issuance of bonds backed by ticket sales revenue. This is another issue that gives us pause. The ability to pay back $120 million in debt being dependent on ticket sales and the number of football games we win over the next 20 years is something the Board of Trustees need to think long and hard about. And, of course that $120 million figure is not actually the total cost for getting the bonds paid off. Over the 20-year life of the bonds, the actual payment of principal, interest, fees and commissions will probably bring the total cost of the $120 million bond issue to more than $200 million.

ricepig

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 16, 2016, 08:20:19 am
I too wonder about selective reading.  The plan as described is a long term debt commitment.  Now is the time to be getting out of debt, not piling it on, as cyclical trend analysis tells us.  Additionally, the world is still in the early stages of a trend toward increasing violence.  What if Orlando had occurred in a college football venue ?  How would that affect attendance across the college football landscape as well as other sports venues ?  It's a safe bet that attendance would not be increasing and it is likely that attendance would be falling, perhaps dramatically.

If all of this were being done totally with private contributions that would be one thing, but, well more than half of the money to be spent is going to be borrowed by the university through the issuance of bonds backed by ticket sales revenue. This is another issue that gives us pause. The ability to pay back $120 million in debt being dependent on ticket sales and the number of football games we win over the next 20 years is something the Board of Trustees need to think long and hard about. And, of course that $120 million figure is not actually the total cost for getting the bonds paid off. Over the 20-year life of the bonds, the actual payment of principal, interest, fees and commissions will probably bring the total cost of the $120 million bond issue to more than $200 million.

Well, we could all go up in a nuclear holocaust tomorrow, too. It's people like you that keep the storm shelter business, gold scare, and any other Domesday calamity thriving. If I was you, I wouldn't leave the house.

ImHogginIt

I should never have taken out a mortgage years ago. What if I were to ever lose my job ? I should have just built a home on a pay as you go basis.

hamARchy in the USA

Timing is everything.  It's not a difficult concept.  Or maybe it is.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 16, 2016, 08:35:41 am
I should never have taken out a mortgage years ago. What if I were to ever lose my job ? I should have just built a home on a pay as you go basis.

Funny, I just mortgaged my life away because of economic uncertainty. Try buying one if the ship hits the sand.

opineonswine

hobhog

You are playing right in to the terrorists hands.

Btw- if we wait another 10 years it may cost twice as much. And you will say it's too expensive. With your reasoning nothing will ever get improved....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 16, 2016, 08:44:10 am
Timing is everything.  It's not a difficult concept.  Or maybe it is.

Sure it is BUT what makes you think this is a bad time. Since when are you an expert on timing of economic collapses or simply downturns. Let me guess, you run a doomsday website and need subscribers. Here's a shocker for you..............Even during the great depression people had debt and made paymnets........................Even so now days it is also much more common to restructure debt.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on June 16, 2016, 09:07:07 am

Btw- if we wait another 10 years it may cost twice as much. And you will say it's too expensive. With your reasoning nothing will ever get improved....

Maybe he is Dave Ramsey.........needs to sell seminars and books.....................

Hawgar The Horrible

Tusks

Quote from: hobhog on June 16, 2016, 09:07:07 am

Nothing in this world would ever get DONE.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Richard_white

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on June 16, 2016, 10:55:04 am
When is work going to begin?

I would think in Dec, Long has hinted that the new south video board could possibly be ready before the season is over.

BLS50

I see some good and some not so good in this......would have liked this a whole lot more if they had made club seats of the entire lower bowl area.....that would have been an amazing renovation.......and yes...it would have cost a few seats........however, it would have benefited thousands of fans.....not just a few who will benefit from the premium part of this renovation.

ricepig

Quote from: BLS50 on June 16, 2016, 11:23:30 am
I see some good and some not so good in this......would have liked this a whole lot more if they had made club seats of the entire lower bowl area.....that would have been an amazing renovation.......and yes...it would have cost a few seats........however, it would have benefited thousands of fans.....not just a few who will benefit from the premium part of this renovation.

Club seats go for $125-$150, were you willing to pay that for your seat?