Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on final approval on expansion on Thursday

Started by ricepig, June 15, 2016, 06:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ImHogginIt

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 20, 2016, 01:31:47 pm
I've been surprised by it all.

I doubt that very many opponents fall into the "Oh, but what about the academics?" camp. If they do, there has been a paradigm shift in the thought process of Razorback football fans.

I suspect the opposition is more lined up along the lines you suggest. "Rich sumbitches already got alcohol; what more do they want?"

Maybe this is the "51-7" moment for garden variety fans, from a facilities standpoint.

I suspect the dissent is fueled by some LR bond daddy's and some instate construction contractors that won'r be used this time

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hoglady on June 20, 2016, 04:46:49 pm
I was listening to Bill Vicory Sunday - he's going to try to get Pryor on next week to explain his positions.

Vicory did mention that he noticed some feelings changed when the contractor for this project was changed.
Some folks who appeared to be for the expansion were suddenly against it.
(Wouldn't surprise me in the least, as they say "follow the money".)

I should have read all posts before I posted above. Great minds think alike  :razorback:  :D

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 20, 2016, 05:25:04 pm
I suspect the dissent is fueled by some LR bond daddy's and some instate construction contractors that won'r be used this time
No doubt.

gawntrail

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 20, 2016, 03:54:39 pm
I believe in modesty...your posts don't reflect that IMO. I was helping park cars once when I was a kid and I personally witnessed Sam Walton roll in old late 70s simple looking 2wd ford truck. Left one hell of an impression on me to this day...that's the type of class I'm envious of. Not people trying to show off. I don't believe in class systems and other people being better than others based on business/career success. I'll judge people in ways other than that.

You shouldn't have to explain your monetary situation to anyone...especially on a message board. If I were to do that...it would be because I was trying to belittle people...no other reason. Talking to me on here nobody would ever know if I were a billionaire or working paycheck to paycheck trying to make rent. That's the way I would have it.

I've lived in south Arkansas, Little Rock, and NWA (most of my life). I can see how the southern Arkansas folks have this culture difference perception (I've seen it), and I do think it's unfortunate.

I respect your opinion.  I don't agree with your view, but, we are all entitled to our own. 

hoglady

I believe in modesty...your posts don't reflect that IMO. I was helping park cars once when I was a kid and I personally witnessed Sam Walton roll in old late 70s simple looking 2wd ford truck. Left one hell of an impression on me to this day...that's the type of class I'm envious of. Not people trying to show off. I don't believe in class systems and other people being better than others based on business/career success. I'll judge people in ways other than that.

You shouldn't have to explain your monetary situation to anyone...especially on a message board. If I were to do that...it would be because I was trying to belittle people...no other reason. Talking to me on here nobody would ever know if I were a billionaire or working paycheck to paycheck trying to make rent. That's the way I would have it.

I've lived in south Arkansas, Little Rock, and NWA (most of my life). I can see how the southern Arkansas folks have this culture difference perception (I've seen it), and I do think it's unfortunate.

I understand exactly what you're saying.
In today's world though we are separated by class (wealth) more than I've ever seen.
I grew up with very poor kids, very rich kids and everything in between. We all went to school together and we were all friends. We weren't judged by how much money our families had and that was certainly never a consideration in who our friends were.
The world has really changed in that regard.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on June 20, 2016, 01:22:12 pm
I have never seen so much peni$ envy over a stadium expansion in my life.

Maybe they should all get together in the Ladies room at Target to compare..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I've lived or worked in several states and all of them have "cultural" regional differences across their geography from border to border. Some are as pronounced as Arkansas's and maybe even moreso.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WilsonHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 20, 2016, 08:29:02 pm
I've lived or worked in several states and all of them have "cultural" regional differences across their geography from border to border. Some are as pronounced as Arkansas's and maybe even moreso.

Arkansas is at least three states, maybe four.

You know, I get the fact that at one point in time, maybe as late as the 1970s or 1980s, it was possible to look around WMS or Razorback Stadium and perceive that there were few differences between Razorback fans. Perhaps the disappearance of that illusion has rubbed some fans the wrong way.

That illusion was convenient in the pre-arms race days of the SEC. College football has become big business. A river of money runs through it.

Hell, I heard this weekend that Kentucky football - one of the two worst in the conference - has a personal chef for the players who lives on site. Guy probably makes $75,000 to $100,000 a year just to cook for the football team.

FraggleHog

Quote from: factchecker on June 19, 2016, 12:59:54 pm
Wally and the former board members are simply feigning concern over academics and students.  They're educated enough, or at least should be, to know the truth.  The money isn’t being stolen from our students.  As an alumnus I'm proud to say that our student's tuition provides zero funds to the athletic department.  The money for the expansion is non-existent without a stadium expansion. It will be paid off by Razorback athletics not student fees.  To say otherwise is a cheap emotional appeal to get a rise from the uneducated masses.

If they really were concerned about students then why aren't they going after the other in-state institutions that actually steal money from students via mandatory athletic fees?

In 2015 $4,567,829 of a-state's revenue was acquired via student fees.  Pretty embarrassing when you compare it to the paltry $1,313,939 made from ticket sales

UCA?  $4,893,041 in student fees vs. $425,919 from ticket sales.   

UALR? $3,655,736 student fees vs. $365,718 ticket sales.

What about THE University of Arkansas?  $0, nothing, nada, zilch from student fees vs. $37,622,177 in ticket sales!

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Why aren't those schools being raked over the coals?  Their students are funding the athletic department.  Couldn't those millions of stolen money better their campus or pay their professors or buy "new fangled sciency equipment her dur"?

The University of Arkansas should actually be applauded for the fact that we don't charge student fees.  In 2015, Auburn received $4.6 million in student fees.   :puke:

Just as a side note... aTm's Rev vs. Expenses ratio is absolutely insane!

http://www.12thman.com/news/2013/5/1/207507161.aspx

Just FYI - Here's how Aggie funded their Fun House... Hint - Student Fees are in there...

"Funding will come from donations and seat licenses through the 12th Man Foundation, student fees/ ticket revenue and a preferred facilities access agreement between the Bryan-College Station Convention and Visitors Bureau (BCSCVB) and Texas A&M. The agreement will utilize hotel tax revenue for the next 30 years with payments of $1 million from years 1 through 3, $1.2 million in years 4 through 6, and $1.225 million in years 7 through 30. In return, the BCSCVB will be able to use certain Texas A&M facilities at preferred rates for promoting tourism in Brazos County."
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 20, 2016, 08:40:42 pm
Arkansas is at least three states, maybe four.

You know, I get the fact that at one point in time, maybe as late as the 1970s or 1980s, it was possible to look around WMS or Razorback Stadium and perceive that there were few differences between Razorback fans. Perhaps the disappearance of that illusion has rubbed some fans the wrong way.

That illusion was convenient in the pre-arms race days of the SEC. College football has become big business. A river of money runs through it.

Hell, I heard this weekend that Kentucky football - one of the two worst in the conference - has a personal chef for the players who lives on site. Guy probably makes $75,000 to $100,000 a year just to cook for the football team.

If he's any good he probably makes a lot more than that!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on June 21, 2016, 12:31:44 pm
If he's any good he probably makes a lot more than that!

I can run with that$$$

Did we just find Kentucky's bag man?

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 20, 2016, 08:29:02 pm

Louisiana for sure.
I grew up in North and South Louisiana / believe me that's like 2 different countries.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on June 21, 2016, 04:53:23 pm
Louisiana for sure.
I grew up in North and South Louisiana / believe me that's like 2 different countries.

True. Some of the ones' I've worked/lived in were TN, FL, VA, NC, CA, NY

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 22, 2016, 11:08:57 am
True. Some of the ones' I've worked/lived in were TN, FL, VA, NC, CA, NY

Try living in Michigan. We moved up there for a couple of years when I was a boy. I hated it. The day we moved back to Arkansas, Dad said we'd never move out of state again. He kept that promise.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 22, 2016, 11:59:06 am
Try living in Michigan. We moved up there for a couple of years when I was a boy. I hated it. The day we moved back to Arkansas, Dad said we'd never move out of state again. He kept that promise.

I have worked in Michigan. The area in the southern part is much different than the upper Peninsula.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 22, 2016, 12:00:33 pm
I have worked in Michigan. The area in the southern part is much different than the upper Peninsula.

True, very true.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jacobp

It's hard to beat the western coast along Lake Michigan, especially between May and October.

We are slowly but surely making orlurnway further up the coast since moving to South Bend.
Beautiful beaches, no sand, no sharks. I'm loving it

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jacobp on June 22, 2016, 01:37:33 pm
It's hard to beat the western coast along Lake Michigan, especially between May and October.

We are slowly but surely making orlurnway further up the coast since moving to South Bend.
Beautiful beaches, no sand, no sharks. I'm loving it

It's nice until winter when you can make ice cubes out of the frozen water on the lake!

jacobp

I actually enjoyed the first winter here. Took some getting used to but I enjoy all the snow as well. They know how to take care of snow/roads round here.
Enjoying the area until we move back to NWA probably in a few years