Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on final approval on expansion on Thursday

Started by ricepig, June 15, 2016, 06:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhog14

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on June 16, 2016, 05:39:33 pm
Does this mean the end of the horrible yellow brick? 

God I hope so. I wish they would brick the whole stadium during this upgrade and get rid of the ugly stucco on the stadium.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 16, 2016, 05:57:33 pm
God I hope so. I wish they would brick the whole stadium during this upgrade and get rid of the ugly stucco on the stadium.

Genstone it.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

GuvHog

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 16, 2016, 05:57:33 pm

I'd be thrilled if they'd just finish the west side facade.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Sen. Pryor is more than welcomed to introduce a $160M project to help with tuition, classrooms, and salaries, if he can find a second for it. And more importantly, an avenue to pay it off not using a tuition increase. I understand he wanted to make a stand against the "arms race", but when you don't use public funds outside of the athletic department, it's rather shallow.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 16, 2016, 06:10:54 pm
I'd be thrilled if they'd just finish the west side facade.

Not going to happen unless they move Razorback Rd west, about one lane.

opineonswine

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 06:13:20 pm
They want to do it but not enough money in the plan right now.

GuvHog

They need to move it father than that and redo the west side to match the east side.

ricepig

Quote from: opineonswine on June 16, 2016, 06:14:22 pm
They want to do it but not enough money in the plan right now.

How much is brick?? And leave out the underground parking for Long.......

Hawgar The Horrible

I like the logic.

Long should have pushed for $300 million to extend the new BAC completely across the north end zone. Scoot Razorback road over about 30 ft to allow for enclosure of the west side...in addition to everything else.

Nobody would be sweating $160 mil.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Poker_hog

Any idea what the pricing will be for the new seating options?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 04:29:45 pm
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/06/16/after-stadium-vote-dozens-of-pay-raises-for-athletics

Stop putting links in this thread. I'm compelled to read the comments of the morons below each article. I just started on a diuretic to go with my 2 BP meds and reading comments from those idiots raises my BP  :'(

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 16, 2016, 07:56:13 pm
Stop putting links in this thread. I'm compelled to read the comments of the morons below each article. I just started on a diuretic to go with my 2 BP meds and reading comments from those idiots raises my BP  :'(

Max Brantley and his 7 chins is a [CENSORED]. The next time he writes anything positive about the University of Arkansas, will be the first. Just like this bit, claiming raises, when the resolution stated that they were the maximum salaries earned with a NC, lol.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2016, 08:08:11 pm
Max Brantley and his 7 chins is a [CENSORED]. The next time he writes anything positive about the University of Arkansas, will be the first. Just like this bit, claiming raises, when the resolution stated that they were the maximum salaries earned with a NC, lol.

Not to mention the fact he tried to walk it back a half dozen times and still looks like a [CENSORED].

PEtrader

As I finance guy,  I just want to point out that there will never be a better time in the next 100 years than now for the university to issue bonds because of rates being so low.   I haven't seen the interest rates on these things yet,  but they will be low.   It is a brilliant financial moved,  that will almost be free money to the university to re do the stadium.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

farmhawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 16, 2016, 07:56:13 pm
Bourbon is more fun....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

greghog

I know it is crazy, and won't happen (to late now), but considering how cramped the west side is, I wanted them to build out OVER Razorback Road.  Lower it to some extent if necessary on the north end of it, and build the stadium over it.  The entrances could be from the parking lot on the west side of Razorback Road.  They could have spread out the west side a lot more.  If you have ever sat on the upper part of the lower deck on the West side, you know the concession area SUCKS and there is no knee room.  The could have fixed both issues.  Oh well.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: greghog on June 16, 2016, 09:21:15 pm
I know it is crazy, and won't happen (to late now), but considering how cramped the west side is, I wanted them to build out OVER Razorback Road.  Lower it to some extent if necessary on the north end of it, and build the stadium over it.  The entrances could be from the parking lot on the west side of Razorback Road.  They could have spread out the west side a lot more.  If you have ever sat on the upper part of the lower deck on the West side, you know the concession area SUCKS and there is no knee room.  The could have fixed both issues.  Oh well.
You are correct. It's got to be the next issue they tackle. Probably in another 10-15 years. You've got the solution. They need to dig into that hill going up from John Mc Donnell field to just north of the west football stands. Make Razorback Road go under the stadium entrance and create a wide plaza. It goes without saying that they need to put a new facade on the west side. The erector set look is beyond ugly. I mentioned this to Jeff Long several years ago. He grimmaced and said he didn't want to think about what it would cost.

ricepig

My last comment on this, yeah I know, doubtful.....anyway, one of the two who voted against this, he wasn't a former Sen, asked what the alternative plans for spending this money if there wasn't an expansion, Long replied that there wouldn't be any extra money without the expansion and sales of extra seats. The board member said he'd have to vote against it because a lack of potential alternative uses of the funds. Goodness, I'm concerned about my alma mater if this is the quality of trustees we have making decisions. It's pretty simple, without XYZ, you don't have increased funds to spend elsewhere???

razoredge178

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 17, 2016, 06:43:22 am
You are correct. It's got to be the next issue they tackle. Probably in another 10-15 years. You've got the solution. They need to dig into that hill going up from John Mc Donnell field to just north of the west football stands. Make Razorback Road go under the stadium entrance and create a wide plaza. It goes without saying that they need to put a new facade on the west side. The erector set look is beyond ugly. I mentioned this to Jeff Long several years ago. He grimmaced and said he didn't want to think about what it would cost.

I'm sure he grimaced at both the idea, and the cost of the idea. Who cares about a d$!@ façade? Forget that it faces a parking lot, its a FACADE.

This thread is full of some of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.

Enhancing fan's game day experiences will happen inside the stadium, with chair back seats, improved concessions, and overall ease of access. Would a $500 trillion dollar remodel to create a new FACADE keep out the weather maybe? Maybe.

I heard Mike Irwin on the radio talking about forward thinking, and how the high end (high dollar) suites, and $160M expansion are the future. Perhaps. Maybe. But just like in our overall economic structure, the idea that the top 2-5% of tax payers, or high money donors and ticket holders in this case, are going to float the entire system is fundamentally flawed.

Rip out bleachers between the 20's, put in chairback seats, increase ticket prices to $65-$85 per game, and let the "middle class" be the forward thinking sustainability plan. 40,000 new chairback seats at an extra $15-25 per game on ticket price, times 5 home games a year...the math comes out to an additional $3-5M per year just in ticket sales. Forget that you're talking about a renovation that will pay for itself in 1- 2 seasons, vs. a north end zone plan that may, MAY "pay for itself" over the next two decades.

I love closing in the end zone. I love that they approved it. But leadership has to improve the gameday experience for the other 55-65,000 folks pouring in there 5x a year, sitting on a piece of metal with fat albert on both sides. Its these folks that will pay the way forward.

GuvHog

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 09:13:43 am
I'm sure he grimaced at both the idea, and the cost of the idea. Who cares about a d$!@ façade? Forget that it faces a parking lot, its a FACADE.

Enhancing fan's game day experiences will happen inside the stadium, with chair back seats, improved concessions, and overall ease of access. Would a $500 trillion dollar remodel to create a new FACADE keep out the weather maybe? Maybe.

I heard Mike Irwin on the radio talking about forward thinking, and how the high end (high dollar) suites, and $160M expansion are the future. Perhaps. Maybe. But just like in our overall economic structure, the idea that the top 2-5% of tax payers, or high money donors and ticket holders in this case, are going to float the entire system is fundamentally flawed.

Rip out bleachers between the 20's, put in chairback seats, increase ticket prices to $65-$85 per game, and let the "middle class" be the forward thinking sustainability plan. 40,000 new chairback seats at an extra $15-25 per game on ticket price, times 5 home games a year...the math comes out to an additional $3-5M per year just in ticket sales. Forget that you're talking about a renovation that will pay for itself in 1- 2 seasons, vs. a north end zone plan that may, MAY "pay for itself" over the next two decades.

I love closing in the end zone. I love that they approved it. But leadership has to improve the gameday experience for the other 55-65,000 folks pouring in there 5x a year, sitting on a piece of metal with fat albert on both sides. Its these folks that will pay the way forward.

First off, it's more than just adding a facade on the west side. They need to rebuild the whole side to match the east side.

As for the chair backs in the lower bowl, that's very unlikely to happen because in order to install them properly they would have to tear out all of the concrete in the lower bowl seating areas on both sides and start from scratch. That would be very, very, expensive and would likely force the Hogs to play a whole season of home games, if not more, in WMS.

razoredge178

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 09:33:49 am
First off, it's more than just adding a facade on the west side. They need to rebuild the whole side to match the east side.

As for the chair backs in the lower bowl, that's very unlikely to happen because in order to install them properly they would have to tear out all of the concrete in the lower bowl seating areas on both sides. That would be very, very, expensive and would likely force the Hogs to play a whole season of home games, if not more, in WMS.

You're making an assumption based off of what you perceive to be a lack of space. I'd like to see a feasibility study to conclusively confirm or deny your assumption.

I'm of the thought that a chairback seat could be designed and installed that occupies a comparable amount of room that the rent a seats do currently.

And you're confusing me a bit here-- so the whole west side needs ripped out and built to match the east side, so................can they put in chairbacks then? If they're going to rip it out anyway right?

You're talking in circles.

PonderinHog

Can't they just nail up some of that fake brick paneling on the west side ???

ricepig

Nope, there's not the room to put chair backs in the current set up, there's not enough room. Go measure the aisle width in the Red Zone versus the sideline seats. Sure you can have lateral room for them, but about 6"-9" short of room between the rows. Also, these new seats will cost you RF donations for the missing seats, are you going to raise the requirements to sit there too, add that in your total cost/seat.

Also, you obviously have no idea how much it cost to do this if it's paid in two years.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 09:48:58 am

It would look better.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2016, 09:56:53 am
Nope, there's not the room to put chair backs in the current set up, there's not enough room. Go measure the aisle width in the Red Zone versus the sideline seats. Sure you can have lateral room for them, but about 6"-9" short of room between the rows. Also, these new seats will cost you RF donations for the missing seats, are you going to raise the requirements to sit there too, add that in your total cost/seat.

Also, you obviously have no idea how much it cost to do this if it's paid in two years.

Well done ricepig.

razoredge178

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 09:59:21 am
Well done ricepig.

Yes well done by both of you structural engineers, with your tape measures and all.

Show me a feasibility study that invalidates my suggestion. Otherwise, its just you, your two-cent opinions, and your 6-9" tape measures.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 10:06:36 am
Yes well done by both of you structural engineers, with your tape measures and all.

Show me a feasibility study that invalidates my suggestion. Otherwise, its just you, your two-cent opinions, and your 6-9" tape measures.

The feasibility study was deemed unfeasible.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 10:06:36 am

Actually, I've helped design and put in some chair backs on a high school baseball field, and we looked at what it would take to put some in the middle section of the football field, without tearing out the concrete, there isn't room. I guess if you have some scaled down chair that is not going to please the customer, sure. The fan in the bleachers has the ability to straighten up and leave some room for the row behind you, the chair needs the additional room as it is on a angle that doesn't change. You've got free time on your hand it appears, Google and see what the dimensions are for the different applications.

fishes2000

So how long before these big money people realize that sitting in the endzone sucks. I wouldn't pay the money they are going to ask for to sit in the stinking endzone. I have had endzone seats for years and wouldn't have them again if given to me. I have had tickets in the indoor east club also, not a big fan of being behind the glass. Takes away from the game atmosphere.

ricepig

Quote from: fishes2000 on June 17, 2016, 11:16:36 am
So how long before these big money people realize that sitting in the endzone sucks. I wouldn't pay the money they are going to ask for to sit in the stinking endzone. I have had endzone seats for years and wouldn't have them again if given to me. I have had tickets in the indoor east club also, not a big fan of being behind the glass. Takes away from the game atmosphere.

Yeah, don't know why all the suites in the south end zone are sold out, and the club seats at 99%, only singles left, do you? I'm not crazy about being behind the glass on the occasions I've set there, but I love the SOC. Also, the suites have windows that open.....

I guess they'll mark you off the list as a potential buyer.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2016, 11:11:23 am
Actually, I've helped design and put in some chair backs on a high school baseball field, and we looked at what it would take to put some in the middle section of the football field, without tearing out the concrete, there isn't room. I guess if you have some scaled down chair that is not going to please the customer, sure. The fan in the bleachers has the ability to straighten up and leave some room for the row behind you, the chair needs the additional room as it is on a angle that doesn't change. You've got free time on your hand it appears, Google and see what the dimensions are for the different applications.

Feasibility study completed- check by ricepig the high school chair back expert.

PonderinHog

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 11:34:05 am
Feasibility study completed- check by ricepig the high school chair back expert.
What is your area of expertise, booger eating?

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 11:34:05 am

A chair back is a chair back Einstein, it requires a minimum of space.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2016, 11:50:20 am
A chair back is a chair back Einstein, it requires a minimum of space.

What about the rent a chairs Einstein? Do they have backs?

gawntrail

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on June 16, 2016, 08:44:10 am
Timing is everything.  It's not a difficult concept.  Or maybe it is.

Not all debt is equal.  If the rate of return is more than the cost of the money.....  But, you knew that.

razoredge178

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 11:38:18 am
What is your area of expertise, booger eating?

As usual, you just need to ponder back to the kiddie table. This topic won't effect you watching the game from your house sitting on a bean bag naked eatin Cheetos.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 11:52:22 am
What about the rent a chairs Einstein? Do they have backs?

Yes, and they go straight up Einstein, I'm guessing your seats aren't where there are chair backs?

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2016, 11:55:40 am
Yes, and they go straight up Einstein, I'm guessing your seats aren't where there are chair backs?

Oh you're back to your ....scientific...finding on the "angle" in the chairs...

Once again...feasibility....study...not ricepig takes high school science and applies it to whatever he wants to talk about that day.

ricepig

They make a permanent seat that snaps on to the existing bleachers, but that won't give you any more room or comfort that there exists now, except for an 18" wide hard plastic seat with a straight back to it. That isn't what you were wanting with your original proposal to take about 10,000 seats and have 40,000.

greghog

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2016, 11:11:23 am

I have sat in chair backs in stadiums (Cotton Bowl was one) and in theaters, etc. where they put them in, when there wasn't really room (front to back) it was MISERABLE.   I love a good chair back.  But I would much rather have a bleacher seat than a chair back where my knees are jammed  into the seat in front of me and make me miserable the whole time. 

I won't go back to the theater in question.  They won't get my money.  My Cotton Bowl experience was the SMU game in 1999.  I don't know if it is the same, and I don't know if it was that way all over the stadium or just where we were.  The place was a dump, they had installed a chain link fence between our section and the section next to us, I guess to not sell tickets in the endzone if they didn't need to, I honestly don't know.  The fence ran right up the middle of the steps, made the steps very narrow.  The whole experience sucked and I haven't been back to that stadium.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on June 17, 2016, 11:59:20 am
Oh you're back to your ....scientific...finding on the "angle" in the chairs...

Once again...feasibility....study...not ricepig takes high school science and applies it to whatever he wants to talk about that day.

Ok, you obviously know show much, just email Long with your suggestions, lol. I'm tired of trying to help you understand it won't work, good luck trying to cross a street if you ever need it.

WilsonHog

I've been a season ticket holder for about 30 years. I think what I would like is a nice cushioned, theatre-style seat, located where I don't have sweat rolling down the crack is my ass in September or freeze my nuts off in November. It'd be cool if a restroom was 20 or 30 feet away, right next to some quality concessions where I could buy a beer if I felt so inclined.

Wait, you mean Jeff Long and the powers that be have already made that possible at a price I can afford to pay? I'm good! WPS!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: greghog on June 17, 2016, 12:01:44 pm
I have sat in chair backs in stadiums (Cotton Bowl was one) and in theaters, etc. where they put them in, when there wasn't really room (front to back) it was MISERABLE.   I love a good chair back.  But I would much rather have a bleacher seat than a chair back where my knees are jammed  into the seat in front of me and make me miserable the whole time. 

I won't go back to the theater in question.  They won't get my money.  My Cotton Bowl experience was the SMU game in 1999.  I don't know if it is the same, and I don't know if it was that way all over the stadium or just where we were.  The place was a dump, they had installed a chain link fence between our section and the section next to us, I guess to not sell tickets in the endzone if they didn't need to, I honestly don't know.  The fence ran right up the middle of the steps, made the steps very narrow.  The whole experience sucked and I haven't been back to that stadium.

I attended that 1999 SMU game with some friends and you are right about those chair back seats, they were horrible. For a year my brother and I had seats in the East Outdoor Club area in DWRRS and the leg room was much, much better.

gawntrail

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 09:48:58 am

Brad nail up lattice.

ricepig

PonderinHog

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

PonderinHog

Hawgar The Horrible