Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on final approval on expansion on Thursday

Started by ricepig, June 15, 2016, 06:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seebs

I predict - Victory and Mr Pryor is never heard from again.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

dhizzle

Mike Irwin is right. The academic side needs to learn how to spend their money more wisely if they don't have the money for buildings and professors. I think it was in 2005 they raise 1 billion dollars maybe that was just for sidewalks.   

azhog10

factchecker

Quote from: azhog10 on June 15, 2016, 12:40:21 pm
Where is the Mike Irwin article? What did he say?

He was on the radio-- John Nabors' The Forum.  Nabors will post the podcast later today on his twitter.

I didn't hear what he said live but I'm looking forward to pulling it up on the podcast later.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rljjr

Additionally, I believe it was 2014 when tuition did not increase because the athletic department donated a ton of money to the university. But nobody really wants to consider that judicious use of money.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rljjr on June 15, 2016, 12:43:06 pm
Additionally, I believe it was 2014 when tuition did not increase because the athletic department donated a ton of money to the university. But nobody really wants to consider that judicious use of money.

I remember when Frank was asked to help raise a million for the library and did so gladly...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on June 15, 2016, 12:43:06 pm

Hmm, tuition has increased every year, I've had a couple enrolled, though down to one. Now, the athletic department did pick up the bond payments on Champions Hall, which is a classroom building for everyone. They give the University $2M a year.

ricepig

Quote from: dhizzle on June 15, 2016, 12:27:36 pm
Mike Irwin is right. The academic side needs to learn how to spend their money more wisely if they don't have the money for buildings and professors. I think it was in 2005 they raise 1 billion dollars maybe that was just for sidewalks.   

Lol, just for sidewalks. They raised the money for Walton College($300M from Waltons) and the endowment fund. Now, I think the UofA Foundation has claimed raising $100M+ the past several years. We are in the process , quiet phase, or some silly name on another capital campaign that starts in 2017-2018?? I know because I've gotten phone calls and letters, haha.

Tusks

This expansion will be ultimately paid for by the people in the suites.  Don't get the logic to not build it.  Maybe JT thinks there's too many suites and his isn't as exclusive as it used to be.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawgar The Horrible

From the proposal...

"This project will be funded entirely by athletic revenues, gifts, and bond proceeds from a future bond issue. Bonds will be amortized using athletic revenues generated from the stadium. NO UNIVERSITY FUNDS, STATE FUNDS, OR STUDENT FEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT."

From the op-ed...

"With the financial support from the state already under serious pressure, and consideration being given to completely changing how state support is calculated (to focus on "outcomes" instead of simple enrollment numbers), and with tuition continuing to skyrocket making it more and more difficult for the average student to be able to afford higher education, we simply believe this is a terrible time for the U. of A. Fayetteville to be making a commitment to this kind of debt, especially for this purpose. We encourage the Board of Trustees to slow this project down and continue to review its priorities."

Some folks appear to be reading impaired.

Yeah, lets kick this can down the road a few years. I'm sure the cost will be much less then. /sarcasm
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

My question, is why does Pryor and JT say it is going to cost ^$200M? The proposal at $160M has $20M fudge factor built in, do they think it will run $60M over their best estimates??

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: tusked on June 15, 2016, 12:58:23 pm
This expansion will be ultimately paid for by the people in the suites.  Don't get the logic to not build it.  Maybe JT thinks there's too many suites and his isn't as exclusive as it used to be.

Old money vs new money? Could be. I live in a resort area and have witnessed petty crap like that.

rzrbackramsfan

I tried to find the razorback foundations financial information online but could only find their revenue.  Is this not public info.  I know the university's financial info is public, if that is what Johnny Tyson is looking at then, no, we can't/shouldn't afford it, but they're  not the same

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 01:08:44 pm
My question, is why does Pryor and JT say it is going to cost ^$200M? The proposal at $160M has $20M fudge factor built in, do they think it will run $60M over their best estimates??

Considering Pryor's former political past he probably thinks it will run about $100,000,000 over budget............................yet ironic he has doubts about spending that much money on anything.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 15, 2016, 01:20:02 pm
I tried to find the razorback foundations financial information online but could only find their revenue.  Is this not public info.  I know the university's financial info is public, if that is what Johnny Tyson is looking at then, no, we can't/shouldn't afford it, but they're  not the same

As a former board member and a large donor, Johnny knows all the numbers. Truthfully, ever since Petrino left and someone didn't get hired, he hasn't been all hugs and kisses with the University. He resigned off the board around then, and has been advocating better accounting. Of course, that may come from the fact that the University of Arkansas Foundation, lost/misplaced his donation on a building named for his mother.

jacobp

That op Ed read like it could have been written by a teenager whining to mom and dad about getting grounded

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 15, 2016, 12:59:54 pm
"This project will be funded entirely by athletic revenues, gifts, and bond proceeds from a future bond issue. Bonds will be amortized using athletic revenues generated from the stadium. NO UNIVERSITY FUNDS, STATE FUNDS, OR STUDENT FEES WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT."

Unless the opposition can come up with legit reasons why this will not be true, they don't have much of an argument.  If the project was actually taking funds which would have been directed to the educational part of the university or was costing taxpayers and students, I would see their point. 

Since our last renovation and expansion, every stadium in the SECW has been expanded and renovated to some degree.  A&M is basically building a new stadium.  Bama, OM, LSU and Miss St have all made significant expansions and aren't going to stop renovating and maintaining their stadiums(had to add as it won't just be about seating capacity).  OM and Ms St can get it done but some don't want to in Arkansas.  If we don't want to compete in the SEC, then quit.  Don't vote on the expansion.  Vote on leaving.  We saw this nonsense with our basketball facilities and know football is even more important.  It drives a large % of the revenue not to mention the advertising/branding/visibility it brings for the university which does bring money to it including for education. 

I don't know what the opposition wants to wait on.  This backwards state has always been behind and some seem to like it that way.  Their complaint about how few seats it is adding is stupid and outdated thinking as well.  This is the right way to renovate and expand for what is happening now.  I do not trust this isn't some small town good ole boy political nonsense going on for some agenda.  Hodges and Pryor have been political buddies since the 70s.

If this doesn't happen, I would think Bielema should start looking to leave.  He is at enough of a disadvantage coaching Arkansas in the SEC.  If the opposition to this is real and blocks it or delays it, he should start looking for a program who can and will actually try to compete in their conference.  The last RRS renovation helped the stadium look less like an erector set.  It needs to be completed.  The Broyles Center has been an outdated eyesore since we got into the SEC. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 15, 2016, 01:48:31 pm
Unless the opposition can come up with legit reasons why this will not be true, they don't have much of an argument.  If the project was actually taking funds which would have been directed to the educational part of the university or was costing taxpayers and students, I would see their point. 

Since our last renovation and expansion, every stadium in the SECW has been expanded and renovated to some degree.  A&M is basically building a new stadium.  Bama, OM, LSU and Miss St have all made significant expansions and aren't going to stop.  OM and Ms St can get it done but some don't want to in Arkansas.  If we don't want to compete in the SEC, then quit.  Don't vote on the expansion.  Vote on leaving.  We saw this nonsense with our basketball facilities and know football is even more important.  It drives a large % of the revenue not to mention the advertising/branding/visibility it brings for the university which does bring money to it including for education. 

I don't know what the opposition wants to wait on.  This backwards state has always been behind and some seem to like it that way.  Their complaint about how few seats it is adding is stupid and outdated thinking as well.  This is the right way to renovate and expand for what is happening now.  I do not trust this isn't some small town good ole boy political nonsense going on for some agenda.  Hodges and Pryor have been political buddies since the 70s.

If this doesn't happen, I would think Bielema should start looking to leave.  He is at enough of a disadvantage coaching Arkansas in the SEC.  If the opposition to this is real and blocks it or delays it, he should start looking for a program who can and will actually try to compete in their conference.  The last RRS renovation helped the stadium look less like an erector set.  It needs to be completed.  The Broyles Center has been an outdated eyesore since we got into the SEC. 

$160M is a lot of money, and yes, should the RF and/or the athletic department default on these bonds, then it would fall on the University's system to meet these obligations. Having said that, the RF makes a bigger profit than the university, haha. The fact that they try to tie all $160M to 3000 seats just shows they are ignoring facts. The info I read had the actual cost of the seating at around $45M, which is still high, but ignores all the other improvements being made to the stadium.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 02:02:14 pm
$160M is a lot of money, and yes, should the RF and/or the athletic department default on these bonds, then it would fall on the University's system to meet these obligations. Having said that, the RF makes a bigger profit than the university, haha. The fact that they try to tie all $160M to 3000 seats just shows they are ignoring facts. The info I read had the actual cost of the seating at around $45M, which is still high, but ignores all the other improvements being made to the stadium.

Yep.  If we were wanting to add 3-4,000 bleacher seats for $45M, I get the opposition even if it were to be funded by athl revenue.  But gutting the 40+ year old BAC and renovating other parts of the stadium plus the type of seating in demand by "today's fan" is more than just adding seats.  And it isn't like an incremental $160M would go to the university or to students' tuition if this project doesn't happen.  Perhaps says something about the lack of perspective sports and college football enjoys. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

Since our last renovation and expansion, every stadium in the SECW has been expanded and renovated to some degree.  A&M is basically building a new stadium.  Bama, OM, LSU and Miss St have all made significant expansions and aren't going to stop.  OM and Ms St can get it done but some don't want to in Arkansas.  If we don't want to compete in the SEC, then quit.  Don't vote on the expansion.  Vote on leaving.  We saw this nonsense with our basketball facilities and know football is even more important.  It drives a large % of the revenue not to mention the advertising/branding/visibility it brings for the university which does bring money to it including for education. 

Ole Miss and Miss State will stop expanding. They, like Arkansas, don't have enough active fans to fill an Alabama or LSU sized stadium. A&M has already maxed out at over 100,000 seats so they aren't going any farther either. Bama has maxed out too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on June 15, 2016, 02:21:55 pm
Ole Miss and Miss State will stop expanding. They, like Arkansas, don't have enough active fans to fill an Alabama or LSU sized stadium. A&M has already maxed out at over 100,000 seats so they aren't going any farther either. Bama has maxed out too.

It isn't just about seating capacity.  I should have been clearer in that sentence just as was in other parts of the post in that this is also about renovation in addition to adding seats with the additional seating coming with premium seating.  AU, Bama, OM, Ms St and LSU have all added premium seating since we last have as well while upgrading their stadiums.  OM is expanding again including premium seating.  I doubt they want to get their capacity significantly higher just as we don't.  But to clarify my earlier statement, Bama, AU, A&M, LSU, OM and Ms St will not stop renovating, improving and maintaining their stadiums to keep up with the competition.  We have not. 

Hawgar The Horrible

It's expensive for sure, but not that complex. Make the INVESTMENT and take pride in having one of the nicest facilities in the Country (E.g. Baum)...or don't and remain average on a national level, but declining rapidly within the SEC. And folks think recruiting to Arkansas is difficult now.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: GuvHog on June 15, 2016, 02:21:55 pm

You had better get to Oxford and tell them to quit hanging steel for nothing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 15, 2016, 02:32:43 pm
It's expensive for sure, but not that complex. Make the INVESTMENT and take pride in having one of the nicest facilities in the Country (E.g. Baum)...or don't and remain average on a national level, but declining rapidly within the SEC. And folks think recruiting to Arkansas is difficult now.

Agreed.  When you look beyond the SECW, Mizzou, Ok St, TCU, Baylor and TT have all significantly renovated, expanded, and in BU's case built new, stadiums.  These are programs we compete against in recruiting in our region.  UK has a $120M stadium renovation. 

factchecker

https://twitter.com/TyESPN995/status/743156364680126466

Mike is at the beginning.  Talks about the baseball hire then goes on to the stadium expansion.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 15, 2016, 02:28:02 pm
It isn't just about seating capacity.  I should have been clearer in that sentence just as was in other parts of the post in that this is also about renovation in addition to adding seats with the additional seating coming with premium seating.  AU, Bama, OM, Ms St and LSU have all added premium seating since we last have as well while upgrading their stadiums.  OM is expanding again including premium seating.  I doubt they want to get their capacity significantly higher just as we don't.  But to clarify my earlier statement, Bama, AU, A&M, LSU, OM and Ms St will not stop renovating, improving and maintaining their stadiums to keep up with the competition.  We have not. 

Renovating and maintaining existing structures yes, but their expansion will stop. It's the height of ignorance to waste money adding seats that will not be sold.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on June 15, 2016, 02:40:46 pm
Renovating and maintaining existing structures yes, but their expansion will stop.

Yes.  Every program will stop adding additional seats at some point.  Wasn't the point of the post.  For now, OM is adding.  Ms St just made a significant addition. 

factchecker

The fact that they try to tie all $160M to 3000 seats just shows they are ignoring facts. The info I read had the actual cost of the seating at around $45M, which is still high, but ignores all the other improvements being made to the stadium.

Agreed.  People don't understand that the expansion project isn't simply throwing up an extra set of bleachers.  They are renovating the ENTIRE stadium.  The NEZ external facade will be much improved.  The elevators and concessions improved.  The concourse will now be complete and allow 360 degree access.

As an alumnus, I donate a good portion of my income to both the University of Arkansas and to the Razorback Foundation.  I'd be upset if Razorback Athletics was "stealing" money from the University.  Instead, Razorback athletics gives money to the University:

QuoteUniversity of Arkansas academic and athletic leaders together dedicated Champions Hall, the first new classroom building on campus since 2007, in a ribbon cutting ceremony Tuesday morning.

The 62,000-SF structure cost $26.5 million to build and equip. A significant amount of the funding was made possible by the UA athletics department, which committed a portion of the university's annual share of Southeastern Conference revenues to the project.

Those funds will be used to pay off approximately $18 million in bonds that were issued to build the facility, according to a UA news release.

"Our growing student population here at the University of Arkansas made a new building for classrooms absolutely essential," interim Chancellor Dan Ferritor said in the release. "But every new building on campus presents a funding challenge, and it was the support of the athletics department that made this building possible. That's why it's named Champions Hall — to honor our athletic champions and the ways our athletics department gives back to this university."

The four-story building houses nine general purpose classrooms, 12 biology labs and the Math Resource and Teaching Center. The center includes a testing center, office space for many of the math teaching faculty and a teaching center where students can study and get help with mathematics.

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/14448/ua-officials-open-265-million-champions-hall

For those who are genuinely worried about the financial support of academics at The University of Arkansas, here is a link to donate:

https://onlinegiving.uark.edu/

You don't have to be an alumni to give.  Simply pick an amount, an area of designation, and submit a payment.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GuvHog

Quote from: factchecker on June 15, 2016, 02:45:16 pm
Agreed.  People don't understand that the expansion project isn't simply throwing up an extra set of bleachers.  They are renovating the ENTIRE stadium.  The NEZ external facade will be much improved.  The elevators and concessions improved.  The concourse will now be complete and allow 360 degree access.

As an alumnus, I donate a good portion of my income to both the University of Arkansas and to the Razorback Foundation.  I'd be upset if Razorback Athletics was "stealing" money from the University.  Instead, Razorback athletics gives money to the University:

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/14448/ua-officials-open-265-million-champions-hall

For those who are genuinely worried about the financial support of academics at The University of Arkansas, here is a link to donate:

https://onlinegiving.uark.edu/

You don't have to be an alumni to give.  Simply pick an amount, an area of designation, and submit a payment.

When did they change the North End zone plans?? The original plans called for two levels of sky boxes. One was to be at ground Level and the other was to be between the upper bench seating deck and the lower outdoor club seating deck. That picture shows an entirely different plan.

Hawgar The Horrible

It's becoming clearer now. The administration is worried future DONATIONS from the athletic department will be few and far between if that revenue is tied up in repaying bonds.

factchecker

Quote from: GuvHog on June 15, 2016, 02:53:08 pm
When did they change the North End zone plans?? The original plans called for two levels of sky boxes. One was to be at ground Level and the other was to be between the upper bench seating deck and the lower outdoor club seating deck. That picture shows an entirely different plan.

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/dwrrs/

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

THIS is why I think it is crazy for some to question it the way they have. It is NOT only about a few more thousand seats. There are other parts.

GuvHog

Inhogswetrust

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawgar The Horrible

Okay. I didn't realize the op-ed was signed by former rather than current board members. I am better now.

It'll be approved because Jeff Long can flat out sell.

Atlhogfan1

Irwin is right on the arms race in the SEC. 

Would like to know Pryor's agenda. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 15, 2016, 04:35:58 pm
Irwin is right on the arms race in the SEC. 

Would like to know Pryor's agenda. 

The only guess is he's trying to cement his legacy as someone taking up for the "common" man.

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 04:39:24 pm
The only guess is he's trying to cement his legacy as someone taking up for the "common" man.

I wonder how Pryor thinks he's taking up for the "common" man? How does this even have anything to do with the "common" man, whatever that is.

Pryor should offer at least one legitimate reason for his opposition, and tell everyone his agenda.  I mean, if it's a good thing, you shouldn't have to hide it, right?

ricepig

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 15, 2016, 04:54:19 pm
I wonder how Pryor thinks he's taking up for the "common" man? How does this even have anything to do with the "common" man, whatever that is.

Pryor should offer at least one legitimate reason for his opposition, and tell everyone his agenda.  I mean, if it's a good thing, you shouldn't have to hide it, right?

Oh, I think he made it pretty clear when he asked his 30 questions. He wants to take the SEC TV Network money and give it to the system, I guess to hold down tuition increases???

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 05:07:43 pm
Oh, I think he made it pretty clear when he asked his 30 questions. He wants to take the SEC TV Network money and give it to the system, I guess to hold down tuition increases???

Sounds about right.  I guess the $2+ million the athletic department gives to the administration isn't good enough for Pryor.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wayne Watson on June 15, 2016, 05:18:30 pm
Interesting read.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/15/guest-commentary-timing-plan-not-right-/

Can't read.  Not paying for it.  Bad internet biz model IMO.

What isn't right about the timing?  Not being close minded but rather asking to be enlightened to what I am missing.

TebowHater

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 15, 2016, 05:21:28 pm
Can't read.  Not paying for it.  Bad internet biz model IMO.

What isn't right about the timing?  Not being close minded but rather asking to be enlightened to what I am missing.

I think you just have to answer as question to read, but you can listen to the linked podcast, Nabors read the whole op-ed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 05:29:49 pm
I think you just have to answer as question to read, but you can listen to the linked podcast, Nabors read the whole op-ed.

Nothing new then.  Thanks. 

The comments after the Arkansas Business columns are always interesting.  "the money-grubbing administration at the U of A" ;D