hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2016, 08:03:33 pm
And you can spend $200
2 appetizers $13x2= $26
2 salads $9x2=$18
2 12oz Filet Oscars 2x$48=$96
2 Roasted carrots 2x$6=$12
2 desserts 2x$6=$12

So, it's possible to get there, that's $164 before wine and taxes.

Don't forget the tip!  You're already passing $25 and haven't considered wine and taxes.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 13, 2016, 01:19:08 pm
What cracks me up about people on here when it comes to our program is that they want to be a big time program. To be a big time program you have to have money. Tickets are a large portion of revenue. People want to be a big time program, but I guess forget that to do that, you need money. As soon as ticket prices are raised, people complain and moan. It's funny. Can't have it both ways.
This is the same tired old line that's been trotted out time and time again, and shot down time and time again.
But periodically it has to be shot down again so here it is:

While it's true that money and contributions are obviously important, there is no direct correlation between budget and success. There are other factors that go into that. Not to mention, every SEC team is swimming in cash. Your differentiator is not going to be money, never will be. For example, if Arkansas fans pay steep ticket prices and contribute liberally, yet the athletic director is a moron who makes poor hiring/firing choices, the success of the programs will never be there.
Arkansas has never lacked for anything. When facilities needed to have been built, they always have been. Right on schedule. Ark has always kept up with the Joneses, and in my opinion, stayed ahead of the Joneses on many occasions.
I'm tired of the guilt trip laid on fans with a poorly disguised hint that 'we want more and more money' as if it's the fans fault that we don't win enough. Not true. The factors that will hold Arkansas back really have nothing to do with money(low population, not fertile recruiting base, etc). They can spend out the wazoo on facilities and recruiting budget to criss-cross the country(and do), but will still in some ways be behind the eight-ball to some SEC schools(especially in football).

It says here that smarter hires/more efficiency is the key to success: the AD needs to make outstanding hires, not just good ones, to level the SEC playing field and not just clamor for 'more revenue'. The fact of the matter is, if hypothetically Arkansas had a chance to hire Nick Saban at $8mm a year I think Ark fans would pony up. But I for one for darn sure don't want to just write Jeff Long a blank check in his never-ending quest for 'more money' for no specific purpose. That will not guarantee any kind of success regardless of what anyone says.

HognitiveDissonance

I think a fair price would be $35-$40 for the non-conf games up to $70 for the elite SEC games.

By the way, I am FOR the north end zone expansion primarily for aesthetic reasons. I want the Stadium to be 'finished', the open north end has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I sent my contribution in a few weeks ago.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LRHawg on June 14, 2016, 09:18:15 pm
Exactly. Concert tickets for popular artists are nearing 100, lately. I got 2 tickets for 2 games for what a concert and two nice meals would cost the wife and I. I think it's a bargain.

Me and the wife like to attend musicals three or four times a year here in the Dallas area and decent seats usually run $75 to $100 a piece. I enjoy them but nowhere near like attending a football game.

ricepig

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 14, 2016, 10:31:19 pm
This is the same tired old line that's been trotted out time and time again, and shot down time and time again.
But periodically it has to be shot down again so here it is:

While it's true that money and contributions are obviously important, there is no direct correlation between budget and success. There are other factors that go into that. Not to mention, every SEC team is swimming in cash. Your differentiator is not going to be money, never will be. For example, if Arkansas fans pay steep ticket prices and contribute liberally, yet the athletic director is a moron who makes poor hiring/firing choices, the success of the programs will never be there.
Arkansas has never lacked for anything. When facilities needed to have been built, they always have been. Right on schedule. Ark has always kept up with the Joneses, and in my opinion, stayed ahead of the Joneses on many occasions.
I'm tired of the guilt trip laid on fans with a poorly disguised hint that 'we want more and more money' as if it's the fans fault that we don't win enough. Not true. The factors that will hold Arkansas back really have nothing to do with money(low population, not fertile recruiting base, etc). They can spend out the wazoo on facilities and recruiting budget to criss-cross the country(and do), but will still in some ways be behind the eight-ball to some SEC schools(especially in football).

It says here that smarter hires/more efficiency is the key to success: the AD needs to make outstanding hires, not just good ones, to level the SEC playing field and not just clamor for 'more revenue'. The fact of the matter is, if hypothetically Arkansas had a chance to hire Nick Saban at $8mm a year I think Ark fans would pony up. But I for one for darn sure don't want to just write Jeff Long a blank check in his never-ending quest for 'more money' for no specific purpose. That will not guarantee any kind of success regardless of what anyone says.

Well, sure seems that the schools in the playoffs, or the BCS game had lots of money, more than us??..?? Now, I'll agree that it takes both money and leadership to get to the top, and a little luck, too. As far as ticket prices, they were $60 for lower level for season tickets, and $42 for upper deck, bargains. There should be some incentive for buying season tickets, agreed?

jkstock04

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 13, 2016, 12:14:05 am
All to fund an unnecessary NEZ expansion that's wanted only by a very small percentage of the total season ticket holder base.

Couldn't be. I hear on Hogville "we" make multi upon multi millions just for being in the SEC. "We" are getting so rich off that surely that's good enough for the funding? LOL
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on June 13, 2016, 10:49:15 am
They said season ticket prices would be lower in the upper deck, did they mention single games? Why shouldn't season ticket holders get a break over those who cherry pick a game or two?
I agree with this. The idea of single game ticket sales is laughable to me. I say if they  wanna cherry pick penalize the hell out of them compared to the rest of us who get the whole package.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: woodhog14 on June 13, 2016, 01:19:08 pm
What cracks me up about people on here when it comes to our program is that they want to be a big time program. To be a big time program you have to have money. Tickets are a large portion of revenue. People want to be a big time program, but I guess forget that to do that, you need money. As soon as ticket prices are raised, people complain and moan. It's funny. Can't have it both ways.
Arkansans don't want to be a big time program...at least in comparison to blue chip SEC programs. No where close.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 14, 2016, 05:23:29 pm
same pricing happens with airline seats so it's not unique to Razorback games.
Nah..you have the option for a child to sit in your lap on an airplane, but I understand your point.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2016, 08:03:33 pm
And you can spend $200
2 appetizers $13x2= $26
2 salads $9x2=$18
2 12oz Filet Oscars 2x$48=$96
2 Roasted carrots 2x$6=$12
2 desserts 2x$6=$12

So, it's possible to get there, that's $164 before wine and taxes.
That would keep me full all weekend so I wouldn't consider that a single meal.  Haha.

LRHawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 15, 2016, 03:27:42 am
Me and the wife like to attend musicals three or four times a year here in the Dallas area and decent seats usually run $75 to $100 a piece. I enjoy them but nowhere near like attending a football game.

Us too. before we had our kid, we went to the Arkansas Symphony here in LR at Robinson frequently.

ricepig

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on June 15, 2016, 09:12:19 am
That would keep me full all weekend so I wouldn't consider that a single meal.  Haha.

Some of us are still growing, lol. Yeah, it's a lot of food.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 05:39:12 am
Well, sure seems that the schools in the playoffs, or the BCS game had lots of money, more than us??..?? Now, I'll agree that it takes both money and leadership to get to the top, and a little luck, too. As far as ticket prices, they were $60 for lower level for season tickets, and $42 for upper deck, bargains. There should be some incentive for buying season tickets, agreed?
Alabama is in the playoffs because they've always been good at football(they're in a talent-laden recruiting area), and now as a bonus they happen to have the best coach. Perfect storm. They're actually a great example of my opinion. Smart hiring, more efficiency. A good program became great by making a great hire. Yes, Alabama has always been good, but we were beating them 50% of the time prior to Saban. But someone brilliant kept persuing him and finally hired him. Kudos to that AD.

Has nothing to do with their athletic budget, whatever it is. They are not 'buying' their way into the playoffs.

The other teams that have been there recently...Ohio State is another traditional program with one of the Top 3 coaches Urban Meyer(trend here, follow the best coaches).
I really hesitate to compare Arkansas's situation in the SEC with other playoff teams like Mich St, Clemson, Oregon, etc. I'm not sure we couldn't have beat Mich St last year...but we don't get to play in the Big Ten.

ricepig

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 15, 2016, 10:11:24 am
Alabama is in the playoffs because they've always been good at football(they're in a talent-laden recruiting area), and now as a bonus they happen to have the best coach. Perfect storm. They're actually a great example of my opinion. Smart hiring, more efficiency. A good program became great by making a great hire. Yes, Alabama has always been good, but we were beating them 50% of the time prior to Saban. But someone brilliant kept persuing him and finally hired him. Kudos to that AD.

Has nothing to do with their athletic budget, whatever it is. They are not 'buying' their way into the playoffs.

The other teams that have been there recently...Ohio State is another traditional program with one of the Top 3 coaches Urban Meyer(trend here, follow the best coaches).
I really hesitate to compare Arkansas's situation in the SEC with other playoff teams like Mich St, Clemson, Oregon, etc. I'm not sure we couldn't have beat Mich St last year...but we don't get to play in the Big Ten.

Bama has been good because they've been cheating since the Bear, lol. They've had two coaches worth a damn since him, Stallings and Saban.

greghog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 15, 2016, 03:27:42 am

Very good point.  I took my sons to see Spam-a-lot in Little Rock, we had pretty bad seats and they were still high. 

My wife and youngest and I went to two plays on Broadway a few years ago, talk about expensive!!!!  (And I just mean the tickets, of course the trip to New York was expensive, but that was a "once in a lifetime" deal most likely.)

ricepig

Quote from: greghog on June 15, 2016, 11:15:48 am
Very good point.  I took my sons to see Spam-a-lot in Little Rock, we had pretty bad seats and they were still high. 

My wife and youngest and I went to two plays on Broadway a few years ago, talk about expensive!!!!  (And I just mean the tickets, of course the trip to New York was expensive, but that was a "once in a lifetime" deal most likely.)

Yeah, I hear you can get some tickets for Hamilton tonight for $4500, or wait about a year..........

McKdaddy

Using TKTS has been beneficial to us when in NYC (not getting Hamilton or the like via TKTS, however).
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ATU HOG

Quote from: jkstock04 on June 15, 2016, 05:57:40 am
Arkansans don't want to be a big time program...at least in comparison to blue chip SEC programs. No where close.
Just curious to what makes you think this?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: moses_007 on June 12, 2016, 11:27:36 pm
The U of A is raising ticket prices 55 percent, from $55 to $85, for SEC games on its lower level this fall.

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/6/9/11898852/arkansas-football-ticket-prices-2016

Will you gladly pay $85 a ticket?

That's because college football isn't supposed to be an activity for families or the lower middle class anymore.  It's a spectacle now reserved for corporations, the rich, the old, the childless, and the upper middle class.  The rest of you plebs can watch at home.

I understand the big price hike.  There's certainly got to be a robust market for tickets to a stadium that doesn't sell out to watch a guy in his pajamas win 7 games annually.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 16, 2016, 08:57:25 am
That's because college football isn't supposed to be an activity for families or the lower middle class anymore.  It's a spectacle now reserved for corporations, the rich, the old, the childless, and the upper middle class.  The rest of you plebs can watch at home.

I understand the big price hike.  There's certainly got to be a robust market for tickets to a stadium that doesn't sell out to watch a guy in his pajamas win 7 games annually.
I'll buy tickets all day to watch a guy in his "pajamas" win 7 home games...That would be a fantastic season.