Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mexico State game will cost Arkansas $1.35M

Started by wholehogsports, June 07, 2016, 04:17:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 07, 2016, 05:53:03 pm
In before a stAte mention.

I don't think they'll be able to pay them that much after they leave the conference.......

PorkSoda

apparently Toledo forgot why we paid them to come visit so this year we had to up the ante.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2016, 05:54:41 pm
I don't think they'll be able to pay them that much after they leave the conference.......

What? Arkansas and ASU are both headed to the Big12-4+2+1-3+1-2-3+4....!

ricepig

longpig

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 07, 2016, 07:03:29 pm
apparently Toledo forgot why we paid them to come visit so this year we had to up the ante.

;D
Don't be scared, be smart.

HOGINTENNESSEE

The rate for these games have been going up for all SEC teams. Not a big surprise

Wahls

Quote from: wholehogsports on June 07, 2016, 04:17:38 pmNew Mexico State game will cost Arkansas $1.35M

Bit of a misleading title. The way it is worded, I came in here thinking we were going to lose 1.35 mil by playing New Mexico State instead of how much they're paying NMST to come here.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

(notOM)Rebel123

June 08, 2016, 04:55:12 am #10 Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:38:32 am by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2016, 10:32:43 pm
Click on his link.....

I did. Still not sure what his point is? So the Hogs are paying $1.35 million....guess he finds it interesting.

See reply #1 by Dwight_k_Shrute
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on June 08, 2016, 04:55:12 am
I did. Still not sure what his point is? So the Hogs are paying $1.35 million....guess he finds it interesting.

See reply #1 by Dwight_k_Shrute

Why, they are getting north of that to play Nebraska, Bama, and probably Auburn. So, we kept the money in the state, by not paying those high prices, lol. As was mentioned above, the price is going up for these games, as is everything in college football. It's just part of the process.

KlubhouseKonnected

"Keeping the money in state" is one of those arguments that is so clearly without merit that you just have to start ignoring it at some point.

As to the price tag on this opponent... good for them? I understand from a friend who is an alum of that school that they need it
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

EastexHawg

Schools are paying hapless opponents to come to their place and take a beating so they can have a (nearly) sure "W" on their records.  Meanwhile, thousands...maybe tens of thousands...of fans stay home because they have no interest in watching a bought and paid for massacre rather than a competitive game.

College football is so messed up.  I know that's the way it works these days, but it's still messed up.

Every year when TV schedules for September games come out I scan the list for something interesting to see.  I'm not going to spend 3-4 hours of my Saturday watching Florida pound Eastern Michigan or Georgia name their score against Southern.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 08, 2016, 10:40:27 am
Schools are paying hapless opponents to come to their place and take a beating so they can have a (nearly) sure "W" on their records.  Meanwhile, thousands...maybe tens of thousands...of fans stay home because they have no interest in watching a bought and paid for massacre rather than a competitive game.

College football is so messed up.  I know that's the way it works these days, but it's still messed up.

Every year when TV schedules for September games come out I scan the list for something interesting to see.  I'm not going to spend 3-4 hours of my Saturday watching Florida pound Eastern Michigan or Georgia name their score against Southern.

Did you ever stop to think how that probable one extra win on the record for the season can pay for the cost of paying that opponent in the form of a potentially better bowl, etc. versus any small amount of a few less fans staying at home.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 12:25:17 pm
Did you ever stop to think how that probable one extra win on the record for the season can pay for the cost of paying that opponent in the form of a potentially better bowl, etc. versus any small amount of a few less fans staying at home.

Oh, I know why they are doing it. 

The cupcake thing is one of the reasons why I am in favor of an expanded playoff that includes EVERY conference champion.  If that were the case, you could schedule Florida State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and USC every year in non-conference and if you won your conference it wouldn't matter if you went 0-4 in those games.

The NFL is the most popular, most viewed sports league in the world.  Teams that go 10-6 in the regular season win their divisions, make the playoffs, and sometimes win the Super Bowl.  The most common regular season record for Super Bowl winners since the inception of the 16 game season is 12-4, a .750 winning percentage.  That equates to a 10-3 record for a college team playing 13 games.

It's ingrained perception that teams have to go undefeated or lose only one game to get into the college football playoffs, and that they have to have records of 9-3 or better to get a good bowl game.  If a rule were passed stating power conference teams could only schedule other power conference teams those regular season win percentages would drop across the board.  In that case a team might receive an invitation to play in the Capital One or Sugar Bowl with a record of 8-4 instead of today's requisite 10-2.  Meanwhile, fans wouldn't have to endure snoozers against creampuffs or have to try to unload their tickets for $20 apiece, attendance would increase, and the schools themselves wouldn't have to pay $1 million or more to get a whipping boy to come to town to take his beating.

ricepig

Quote from: wholehogsports on June 07, 2016, 04:17:38 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/07/report-arkansas-pay-135m-new-mexico-state-game/

So, you keep posting this, and sending out retweets, have you done any reporting into what the average game cost is for a SEC team with a G5 school? How about the other P5's cost for such games?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 08, 2016, 04:17:58 pm
Oh, I know why they are doing it. 

The cupcake thing is one of the reasons why I am in favor of an expanded playoff that includes EVERY conference champion.  If that were the case, you could schedule Florida State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and USC every year in non-conference and if you won your conference it wouldn't matter if you went 0-4 in those games.

The NFL is the most popular, most viewed sports league in the world.  Teams that go 10-6 in the regular season win their divisions, make the playoffs, and sometimes win the Super Bowl.  The most common regular season record for Super Bowl winners since the inception of the 16 game season is 12-4, a .750 winning percentage.  That equates to a 10-3 record for a college team playing 13 games.

It's ingrained perception that teams have to go undefeated or lose only one game to get into the college football playoffs, and that they have to have records of 9-3 or better to get a good bowl game.  If a rule were passed stating power conference teams could only schedule other power conference teams those regular season win percentages would drop across the board.  In that case a team might receive an invitation to play in the Capital One or Sugar Bowl with a record of 8-4 instead of today's requisite 10-2.  Meanwhile, fans wouldn't have to endure snoozers against creampuffs or have to try to unload their tickets for $20 apiece, attendance would increase, and the schools themselves wouldn't have to pay $1 million or more to get a whipping boy to come to town to take his beating.

(As to the bolded above) At least not until the playoffs.

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

3kgthog

How much do we lose in concession sales by scheduling hapless teams like this? You know only a little over 60,000 will show up.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 08, 2016, 09:02:58 pm
How much do we lose in concession sales by scheduling hapless teams like this? You know only a little over 60,000 will show up.

Those 12,000 don't eat or drink.......

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 07:46:05 am
Why, they are getting north of that to play Nebraska, Bama, and probably Auburn. So, we kept the money in the state, by not paying those high prices, lol. As was mentioned above, the price is going up for these games, as is everything in college football. It's just part of the process.

Threads like this are started for one reason, to subtly bring in the "keep the money in the stAte" argument. That's why I was asking what the OP's point was for even mentioning it. Anyone with any sense knows that argument does not hold water.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 08, 2016, 09:02:58 pm

We'd lose a lot more when we had to schedule a neutral site or home/home game with a "name brand" opponent. 

A major reason we pay these teams is because we are basically buying out a return game at their campus.  Would giving up a home game every year be offset by scheduling a well known opponent?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Why are we scheduling teams that are so bad, that the Sun Belt conference voted to kick them out? 2017-2018 will be New Mexico State's last season in the Sun Belt and probably last year in the FBS period.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 08, 2016, 04:17:58 pm

The NFL is the most popular, most viewed sports league in the world.

Soccer say's Hello........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2016, 07:29:40 am
Soccer say's Hello........................................

By world, he just means the US.

bp

EastexHawg

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 13, 2016, 08:46:23 am

bp

Point taken.  Now that we have that out of the way, maybe we can discuss the real point I was making...that the Seahawks and Broncos don't pad their records by playing semi-pro teams so they can be sure they make the playoffs.  It hasn't ruined interest in the regular season or the Super Bowl that the most common record for Lombardi Trophy winners is 12-4.

If and when all conference champions qualify for the playoffs regardless of record, and if and when the attendance, viewership, and money bubbles pop and sanity comes into play and administrators decide that it's no longer feasible for basically the entire month of September to be allocated to mismatches against the Little Sisters of the Poor, college teams might also play for the championship after going 9-3 or even 8-4 in the regular season.

Right now the only reason anyone...ADs, coaches, fans, anyone...wants to continue playing the New Mexico States of the world is so they can feel good and brag about their W/L record and go to a bowl game even if they only beat two decent teams during the season.  Most people don't really care to spend a few hundred dollars to go see Florida execute Bethune-Cookman or Georgia pound Coastal Carolina.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2016, 10:36:24 am
Point taken.  Now that we have that out of the way, maybe we can discuss the real point I was making...that the Seahawks and Broncos don't pad their records by playing semi-pro teams so they can be sure they make the playoffs.  It hasn't ruined interest in the regular season or the Super Bowl that the most common record for Lombardi Trophy winners is 12-4.

If and when all conference champions qualify for the playoffs regardless of record, and if and when the attendance, viewership, and money bubbles pop and sanity comes into play and administrators decide that it's no longer feasible for basically the entire month of September to be allocated to mismatches against the Little Sisters of the Poor, college teams might also play for the championship after going 9-3 or even 8-4 in the regular season.

Right now the only reason anyone...ADs, coaches, fans, anyone...wants to continue playing the New Mexico States of the world is so they can feel good and brag about their W/L record and go to a bowl game even if they only beat two decent teams during the season.  Most people don't really care to spend a few hundred dollars to go see Florida execute Bethune-Cookman or Georgia pound Coastal Carolina.

Most?? Would that be the season ticket holders or single game ticket holders that purchase and attend that game? I bet Bama and tOSU have big crowds for their cupcakes, lots of alums like to be back on campus.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on June 13, 2016, 10:45:59 am
Most?? Would that be the season ticket holders or single game ticket holders that purchase and attend that game? I bet Bama and tOSU have big crowds for their cupcakes, lots of alums like to be back on campus.

Would they rather be there to see them play USC or Eastern Michigan?

Next time the Hogs are playing New Mexico State or Nicholls State go to the Ticket Forum and see how much people are willing to pay season ticket holders for their seats.  How much would TV viewership go up, and therefore the value of each network package, if most of the non-conference games involved something like a Pac 12 team against an SEC opponent or the Big 10 vs. the ACC?

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2016, 11:59:33 am
Would they rather be there to see them play USC or Eastern Michigan?

Next time the Hogs are playing New Mexico State or Nicholls State go to the Ticket Forum and see how much people are willing to pay season ticket holders for their seats.  How much would TV viewership go up, and therefore the value of each network package, if most of the non-conference games involved something like a Pac 12 team against an SEC opponent or the Big 10 vs. the ACC?

Who cares what someone is willing to pay a season ticket holder for his ticket, I don't buy them to resell them. This isn't the NFL, so trying to make comparisons to it are worthless. I have no problem with playing a top P5 each year, but not all P5 conferences are equal, so playing 4 P5's and the SEC schedule wouldn't equate out across the board.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 13, 2016, 08:46:23 am

bp

I guess that could be correct for those people in the US think it IS the whole world.................

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2016, 01:45:49 pm
I guess that could be correct for those people in the US think it IS the whole world.................

So are we expecting big PPV sales for the New Mexico State game in East Timor, Sri Lanka, and Algeria?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2016, 03:17:23 pm
So are we expecting big PPV sales for the New Mexico State game in East Timor, Sri Lanka, and Algeria?

No. BUT you should have said the US instead of the world when saying what sport is the most popular................................

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 13, 2016, 03:21:19 pm
No. BUT you should have said the US instead of the world when saying what sport is the most popular................................

I've already admitted I misspoke.  I'm not sure how the fact that soccer is more popular in the rest of the world than NFL and college football is relevant to this discussion, but I'm willing to stipulate that it is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 13, 2016, 03:25:16 pm
I've already admitted I misspoke.  I'm not sure how the fact that soccer is more popular in the rest of the world than NFL and college football is relevant to this discussion, but I'm willing to stipulate that it is.

My apologies if you admitted as such. I must have missed that post. Carry on.