Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye one and done (ESPN article) click photo

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 05, 2018, 06:02:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2018, 02:22:08 pm
We're not talking about punishing kids, we're talking about giving them the proper time to mentally and emotionally mature.

No, by limiting their ability to ear $ you are punishing them. Funny how no one wants to answer my question, if a regular student gets a chance to go earn 100K a year making whatever, after only being in college for a year, are you opposed to them leaving after their Fr year?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 02:18:56 pm
But they get the OPPORTUNITY to do so right out of HS ( so do kids going into hockey ), and at much lower pay than we are talking about for even just making the g-league.  Why should basketball be any different.

The NFL also makes them wait 3 years, don't forget that. As I said earlier, I have no problem with players going to an NBA Developmental League right out of High School as long as they are required to play a minimum of 3 years in that league.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 02:24:19 pm
No, by limiting their ability to ear $ you are punishing them. Funny how no one wants to answer my question, if a regular student gets a chance to go earn 100K a year making whatever, after only being in college for a year, are you opposed to them leaving after their Fr year?

This is false. They are not being punished, they are being given time to Mature both Mentally and emotionally before becoming eligible for the NBA Draft. A Student isn't going to be offered a job making 100K after just completing their Freshman year. Jobs paying that kind of money normally require a college degree.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2018, 02:36:59 pm
This is false. They are not being punished, they are being given time to Mature both Mentally and emotionally before becoming eligible for the NBA Draft.

Such BS
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sickboy

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 02:40:54 pm
Such BS

They're too stupid to make decisions for themselves, so we're just doing what's in their best interest by telling them when and where they are allowed to start their professional career.

It's the same thing with carpenters and construction workers. 18 is too young. That's why they go to a program where they build million dollar houses in exchange for a piece of paper that certifies them so that they can earn money at their profession.

We're protecting them from themselves. Because we know what's best for them.

hoglady

Quote from: sickboy on March 06, 2018, 12:28:31 pm
Since when was every kid the same? You can't blanket say something like that. If 18 year olds aren't mentally and emotionally mature enough to handle the NBA, then what in the hell is our military doing singing them up to protect our country?

I agree with this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

99toLife

Quote from: sickboy on March 06, 2018, 12:28:31 pm
Since when was every kid the same? You can't blanket say something like that. If 18 year olds aren't mentally and emotionally mature enough to handle the NBA, then what in the hell is our military doing singing them up to protect our country?

No 18 year old is ready to handle  Millions of dollars dropped into their lap all at once, the schedule and expectations and the pressure from day to day on TV, the media and social websites. Some adapt and learn to understand what's expected of them, and learn to realize I got money but I got work to do and need to focus.

The Military only takes Volunteers and NO BODY in society gives a darn and follows them around day to day posting everything they do and say and then shred them up to in front of the whole world if they don't agree with them. 

No disrespect to those who have served in the military, But the ones I have known never said the most personal pressure they felt was while serving including some bad situations.

Maybe some fear at times.

Sgt Major special forces, best friends little brother, has a couple of bronze stars one with valor and ton of other  stuff. Told me the most pressure he ever felt personally was having to give a speech in front of everyone in Junior High school. I asked so no pressure in combat and all the crazy crap you been in. All he said was No personal pressure, although it can be a Pass/Fail situation and I did have some responsibility. 

sickboy

Quote from: 99toLife on March 06, 2018, 03:19:57 pm
No 18 year old is ready to handle  Millions of dollars dropped into their lap all at once, the schedule and expectations and the pressure from day to day on TV, the media and social websites. Some adapt and learn to understand what's expected of them, and learn to realize I got money but I got work to do and need to focus.

The Military only takes Volunteers and NO BODY in society gives a darn and follows them around day to day posting everything they do and say and then shred them up to in front of the whole world if they don't agree with them. 

No disrespect to those who have served in the military, But the ones I have known never said the most personal pressure they felt was while serving including some bad situations.

Maybe some fear at times.

Sgt Major special forces, best friends little brother, has a couple of bronze stars one with valor and ton of other  stuff. Told me the most pressure he ever felt personally was having to give a speech in front of everyone in Junior High school. I asked so no pressure in combat and all the crazy crap you been in. All he said was No personal pressure, although it can be a Pass/Fail situation and I did have some responsibility. 

That part I bolded just simply isn't true. Or, at the very least, not universally true.

LeBron James has been under as intense a microscope as anyone ever has been under since he was a sophomore in high school. They were calling him the next Jordan before he even graduated. The most irresponsible thing the guy has ever done is go on TV and publicly announce he was taking his talents to Miami. By all accounts, he's been a model NBA player and human being from the day he's stepped into the league and has never batted an eye at the pressure.

Point being, not every 18 year old kid is the same. And LeBron James was more than ready for the NBA, and all the pressure of money and fame, when he was 18. How on Earth is it our place to tell an 18 year old kid who we've never met what they are ready or not ready for?

99toLife

Quote from: sickboy on March 06, 2018, 03:58:19 pm
That part I bolded just simply isn't true. Or, at the very least, not universally true.

LeBron James has been under as intense a microscope as anyone ever has been under since he was a sophomore in high school. They were calling him the next Jordan before he even graduated. The most irresponsible thing the guy has ever done is go on TV and publicly announce he was taking his talents to Miami. By all accounts, he's been a model NBA player and human being from the day he's stepped into the league and has never batted an eye at the pressure.

Point being, not every 18 year old kid is the same. And LeBron James was more than ready for the NBA, and all the pressure of money and fame, when he was 18. How on Earth is it our place to tell an 18 year old kid who we've never met what they are ready or not ready for?

Seriously I can probably name 50 to your one Lebron James example.  Hell probably 50%  in professional sports are Bankrupt 5 years after they retire.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 08:24:21 am
It should be no one but each individual player's concern on their education. You can go to college at any age but you cannot play basketball/sports at any age. These players have a finite number of years to pursue their professional dreams. They can go get a degree when they're 34.

You missed his point completely. He was trying to say VERY FEW players will ever make it rich or even get drafted by the pros. I've known quite a few college athletes. Some very good ones. Most players know that the pros was not going to be there and they needed an education. Yet some fans think all of them believe they will be pro players. The educational aspect for a HUGE majority of athletes is what is needed. They should also get that education as early as possible.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

phadedhawg

The one and done rule has made a joke of college basketball the last few years.  Kids that are good enough to go pro at 19 are usually good enough at 18.  Get them out of the college system and free up those spots for kids who want to get an education and have an outside shot of going pro if they can develop the proper skill set. 

Swinefeld

In my opinion, the NFL is the only sport that could justify the age limit and I think it would be more of health concerns.  The only reason the NCAA cares is because they are protecting their product.  They REALLY didn't have the evidence to bust teams or players for taking money?  Come on.  The NBA might be the hardest league in the world to make it in, and if a kid is blessed to have the opportunity to make it, they should be allowed to go.  You can in baseball.  How many recruits has Van Horn lost to MLB? You can in hockey, hell...Europe has soccer clubs finding kids when they're 10 years old and families send them away to live with their clubs.  At 19 years olds, Manchester United paid $36 million for Anthony Martial, "the world's most expensive teenager". 

If a kid makes the NBA and burns out at 24 years old in the G-League or NBA, good for them.  They lived their dream.  Maybe they were smart enough to hold on to their $10 million or perhaps they blew it all.  Either they're lucky or natural selection will play it's part.  You REALLY think 8-16 months in college is going to change that?  Grown adults make poor financial decisions all the time.  Did you buy too much house?  Car payments too high? Saving enough in your 401k?  Lottery winners end up broke too. 

We all would have left college if we had that much money thrown at us.  Or at least I would have.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:59:31 am
To your point, Blake Griffin would have lost a crap ton of money under the baseball model. All because he needed a couple of years out of high school. Basketball players should be able to get in when they fit in once out of high school.

Why you so in love with Blake Giffin?  Is it because you like his hair? 

hawgon

It isn't up to colleges to decide when a kid can be drafted, it is up to the NBA.  The NBA is free to put an age or college restriction on it just like the NFL does.

The NFL has been smart and let NCAA football be its farm system and both college and pro football are immensely popular.  The NBA has taken a different approach and college basketball has suffered.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2018, 02:36:59 pm
This is false. They are not being punished, they are being given time to Mature both Mentally and emotionally before becoming eligible for the NBA Draft. A Student isn't going to be offered a job making 100K after just completing their Freshman year. Jobs paying that kind of money normally require a college degree.

This just isn't true, there are plenty of IT workers I know that started making 100K without a college degree. College degrees are overrated today. Plus we are supposed to live in a free society, these kids that you deem to need maturity or considered legal adults at 18. Some of these kids come from dire financial situations and they should be given the ability to make mistakes and succeed just like everyone else in society. It's not societies job to shelter people and try to protect them it's societies job to grant opportunities and then work to help people succeed.

Paul

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2018, 11:29:35 am
I strongly disagree with #1. 18 year olds are not mentally and emotionally mature enough to play in the NBA
but they're mentally & emotionally mature enough to die for our country???  sorry didn't read above thread before posting

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2018, 04:19:54 pm
You missed his point completely. He was trying to say VERY FEW players will ever make it rich or even get drafted by the pros. I've known quite a few college athletes. Some very good ones. Most players know that the pros was not going to be there and they needed an education. Yet some fans think all of them believe they will be pro players. The educational aspect for a HUGE majority of athletes is what is needed. They should also get that education as early as possible.

Who cares if they make it rich, you shouldn't force people to do something they don't want to. If an 18 year old doesn't want to go to college they shouldn't have to. There will still be a very large number of kids in comparison going to college, playing sports and getting an education in comparison to the few who would be playing in the G-league. Plus colleges shouldn't have to cater to players who don't want to be there in the first place. If a kids only motivation is to play a year than go to the draft than universities are wasting an athletic scholarship on someone instead of using it on a person that could actually be helped by getting an education.

Paul

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 06, 2018, 05:40:38 pm
Who cares if they make it rich, you shouldn't force people to do something they don't want to. If an 18 year old doesn't want to go to college they shouldn't have to. There will still be a very large number of kids in comparison going to college, playing sports and getting an education in comparison to the few who would be playing in the G-league. Plus colleges shouldn't have to cater to players who don't want to be there in the first place. If a kids only motivation is to play a year than go to the draft than universities are wasting an athletic scholarship on someone instead of using it on a person that could actually be helped by getting an education.
the majority of high school graduates would do better going to a community college, getting an associate degree or learning a trade.  Those that wanna go on & invest in a bachelor's degree won't accrue the debt of a 4-year college most can't ever pay back

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 08:23:21 am
Why? My son is Fr engineering major. If someone comes and offers him a 100K a yr job right now, he is free to go take it. Why should it be different for a basketball player?
What company in need of engineers is going to hire him after one year of college? Engineering majors are in school to get a degree so they can get a job after graduation. One and done basketball players aren't.

31to6

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 05, 2018, 07:26:59 pm
Might read the article
The NBA already has created an "in between" for the G League and NBA rosters with two-way contracts, in which players earn the equivalent of $75,000 when in the G League and then earn an NBA minimum salary when with the parent club. A plan to create another version of this could be launched for 18-year-olds that would make it more financially attractive for them to stay in the U.S. and get more NBA-level coaching and training as they prepare to eventually be formally drafted into the league.

I posted about this last week. Soon every team in the NBA will have a G league team. They could draft 2 High School kids a year and it would take the top 50 to 60 kids out the college basketball mix. I think it will ultimately make the college game better and it will get the shoe companies payoffs, handlers and agents further away from the college game.  We will get back to more upperclassmen in the game, better execution, better recognition of the players. In the 80's and 90's I knew most every starter sometimes down to 7th or 8th men on the top 45 to 50 teams because of the class balance and guys being there 3 and 4 years. You will still have guys blow up and leave after 2 years but i personally look forward to this happening.

I did:

"The NBA currently permits 18-year-olds in the G League, but the salaries are not competitive. Currently, G League players can earn a maximum of $26,000 per season."

Even the plan to raise it to $75k, or the the $78k the article mentions for the Australian league are still salaries that are not really worth more than a full ride scholarship and with no guarantees.

This may be GREAT for guys who can't or won't or don't want to do college. But if you are a marginal pro prospect, college will still be the smart way to go because once you sign the LOI the only thing stopping you from having a reasonably secure future is making sure you graduate.

I know several people who were drafted to MLB out of college (lots of ex-athletes in my line of work) and who spent some time in different organizations, even a couple were "called up". But making a pro career in any sport is exceedingly rare and every single one of them is glad they have a degree.

The really nonsensical thing is that you can play one sport professionally but then go back and play a different sport on scholarship. (e.g.: MLB->college football is common) Maybe *that* also needs to be part of the reform efforts? Let guys who try out NBA system go back and play college if they don't make it? Maybe distinguish between "developmental" and "actual real pro" and make it possible for them to go to college if pro doesn't work out?

I am for fixing the problem, but unless the D-League plans involve real money and some type of commitment (in case of injury) then for all but the elite or the non-academic, playing college ball and getting a degree will still be the smart choice.

Inhogswetrust

March 06, 2018, 06:46:51 pm #120 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:59:07 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 06, 2018, 05:40:38 pm

You still don't get it. They aren't being forced to do anything. They do NOT have to go to college. They have to be one year removed which means they can go other places and play or not. There are other options for them if they desire. There is no NBA rule that says a player has to go to college.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

All of you saying "why three years in college" are missing the point.  It's called "choices".  Go straight to the NBA (or development league) and work OR go to college for three years...your choice.  Whichever you choose, you stick with.  No gun to your head.  If you think you are so good you would only stay in college one or two years, don't go to college.  If you aren't sure, just stick out your commitment, enjoy and get your degree.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2018, 06:46:51 pm
You still don't get it. They aren't being forced to do anything. They do NOT have to go to college. They have to be one year removed which means they can go other places and play or not. There are other options for them if they desire. There is no NBA rule that says a player has to go to college.

The NBA forced the 1 year wait rule because they thought it was harmful to the league that a bunch of high school kids who thought they were they next Kobe Bryant trying to  going straight to the NBA. The NBA thought it was bad for their league. If the G-League expands that will no longer be the case. If the NBA follow through than these kids can go to a development league, earn a salary and try to make it. It is an absolute waste to give a one and done player an athletic scholarship for one year for academic purposes, the only reason schools give these kids scholarships is because they believe those kids will help them win more games so they can make more money.

As for the kids, what option are you going to choose in today's climate, go overseas and play without any TV exposure and hope to get drafted in a year or go to a major college that is always on TV with a full scholarship for one year? There really are not any options outside of that today, yeah you could sit around and do nothing for a year and hope that your still on the NBA's radar but that is a worse option than the other two. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 06, 2018, 07:03:21 pm
All of you saying "why three years in college" are missing the point.  It's called "choices".  Go straight to the NBA (or development league) and work OR go to college for three years...your choice.  Whichever you choose, you stick with.  No gun to your head.  If you think you are so good you would only stay in college one or two years, don't go to college.  If you aren't sure, just stick out your commitment, enjoy and get your degree.

That's an illusion of choice, freedom would be giving the kids the opportunity to make the best choice for themselves. Let's take a scenario, let's say a guy like Trae Young who was a Top 30 prospect in his class but wouldn't have garnered much attention out of high school as a draft pick. Let's say a guy like that decides to go to college, has an epic season and after his Freshmen year could go Top 5 in the draft. But, because of this stupid rule of 3 years he can't. Last years 5th Rd. pick makes 4.7 million a year. Yeah lets tell that kid that you know you have to wait for two more years and hope you still can get drafted as high or that you don't get injured before you can get payed. That is stupid.

k.c.hawg

March 06, 2018, 07:30:42 pm #124 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:32:56 am by k.c.hawg
Quote from: 31to6 on March 06, 2018, 06:20:35 pm
I did:

"The NBA currently permits 18-year-olds in the G League, but the salaries are not competitive. Currently, G League players can earn a maximum of $26,000 per season."

Even the plan to raise it to $75k, or the the $78k the article mentions for the Australian league are still salaries that are not really worth more than a full ride scholarship and with no guarantees.

This may be GREAT for guys who can't or won't or don't want to do college. But if you are a marginal pro prospect, college will still be the smart way to go because once you sign the LOI the only thing stopping you from having a reasonably secure future is making sure you graduate.

I know several people who were drafted to MLB out of college (lots of ex-athletes in my line of work) and who spent some time in different organizations, even a couple were "called up". But making a pro career in any sport is exceedingly rare and every single one of them is glad they have a degree.

The really nonsensical thing is that you can play one sport professionally but then go back and play a different sport on scholarship. (e.g.: MLB->college football is common) Maybe *that* also needs to be part of the reform efforts? Let guys who try out NBA system go back and play college if they don't make it? Maybe distinguish between "developmental" and "actual real pro" and make it possible for them to go to college if pro doesn't work out?

I am for fixing the problem, but unless the D-League plans involve real money and some type of commitment (in case of injury) then for all but the elite or the non-academic, playing college ball and getting a degree will still be the smart choice.

Which tells you exactly what their real worth is. I get sick of people saying an education, free room and board, $3600 to $4000 per season cash,  a state of the art workout facilty, trainers, being put on film, national tv exposure, coaching......isn't enough. They are making millions for the universities. No they aren't, the uniform makes millions for the universities because we watch no matter who is wearing it. They want to get paid for their likeness, no one gives a s### about their likeness unless it is in a Duke, Kansas, Unc, UCLA, Arkansas, Kentucky uniform. Are you buying posters of Monk because he's from Arkansas.

The NBA thinks they are worth $25,000k and if on a NBA dual contract $75k. Let the guys that want to make money at 18 go find out how much money is out there.....in Sioux Falls or Greensboro or Fort Wayne. One and done has made college basketball a much worse product than it was. The NBA can shave off those 40 to 50 guys that think they are pros, that are looking for payouts and take care of them however they want to. If a player blows up and becomes the out of nowhere lottery pick, let him go. The cost to the NBA in this day and age of $300 million contracts can litterally be measured in the hundreds of thousands now that the G league is up and running and soon to have 30 teams.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jgphillips3

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 06, 2018, 07:18:55 pm
That's an illusion of choice, freedom would be giving the kids the opportunity to make the best choice for themselves. Let's take a scenario, let's say a guy like Trae Young who was a Top 30 prospect in his class but wouldn't have garnered much attention out of high school as a draft pick. Let's say a guy like that decides to go to college, has an epic season and after his Freshmen year could go Top 5 in the draft. But, because of this stupid rule of 3 years he can't. Last years 5th Rd. pick makes 4.7 million a year. Yeah lets tell that kid that you know you have to wait for two more years and hope you still can get drafted as high or that you don't get injured before you can get payed. That is stupid.

There's no illusion.  You are confusing the exception with illusion.  Why would you do it?  To provide consistency and rules.  ALL organizations have rules.  Some places will limit how soon you can apply for a job after not being selected.  The kid can go overseas instead of college.  The point being, if you make a commitment to a college and they make an investment in you, honor your commitment...get an education.  If you don't want to go to college, go to the NBA or go overseas or get a job or whatever.  Cry me a river for the small handful of kids who do blow up unexpectedly.  The vast majority are either ready to go pro or could use seasoning and, if a school invests in you, you can repay that with a few years development or drop out and do something else for a bit.

sickboy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 06, 2018, 05:59:02 pm
What company in need of engineers is going to hire him after one year of college? Engineering majors are in school to get a degree so they can get a job after graduation. One and done basketball players aren't.

You're still regulating what a kid can choose to do with his professional talent. If a kid has opportunities, be him an engineer or a basketball player, there shouldn't be rules or laws inhibiting him from profiting off his talents, let alone letting someone else profit off his talents. That's just not right.

Hoggish1

Anybody with a keen eye can spot a future NBA player in Junior High, perhaps even earlier (think Calipari).  Let those future stars be drafted at the earliest possible age their awesome talent can be identified. 

They could even be taken away from their parents and put in a special basketball boarding school where they can learn all they need to know about the wonders that lie ahead.

What's not to like...?

not sarcasm

GlassofSwine

March 07, 2018, 12:23:15 am #128 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:33:32 am by GlassofSwine
Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 06, 2018, 09:55:59 pm
There's no illusion.  You are confusing the exception with illusion.  Why would you do it?  To provide consistency and rules.  ALL organizations have rules.  Some places will limit how soon you can apply for a job after not being selected.  The kid can go overseas instead of college.  The point being, if you make a commitment to a college and they make an investment in you, honor your commitment...get an education.  If you don't want to go to college, go to the NBA or go overseas or get a job or whatever.  Cry me a river for the small handful of kids who do blow up unexpectedly.  The vast majority are either ready to go pro or could use seasoning and, if a school invests in you, you can repay that with a few years development or drop out and do something else for a bit.

I'm not confusing anything, when you create rules that prohibit individuals from pursuing their best interests you are taking away their ability to make choices that benefit them. That is BS. And for what, so a university that is already making millions off that student athlete can make more money while the kids get shafted? So the fans can feel good about their chances for next year instead of worrying about who a kid's replacement will be? Rules like that are only created in the interest of everyone but the kid.

Some of you guys may be upset if Daniel Gafford goes to the NBA next year, but your only upset because your scared Arkansas will lose their best player and won't be good. That's just selfish on your part, if he has a chance to make 2-3 million+ a year  than run don't walk to take it. That's life changing money and no one in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to go from making nothing to making millions based on their talent.

BTW.. it is the exceptions we are talking about anyway with the one-and-dones. Let's see almost 350 teams in D1 and around 4500 kids playing. How many one-and-dones in a year? I'm guessing easily less than 1%. So these rules you want to implement are targeted at the exceptions to begin with.

ThundrHawg

We could do away with this entire issue by getting rid of athletic scholarships altogether. Why do we pay people who in many cases have no business in a place of higher learning to attend school when there are people who could benefit from that education who can't afford it. Our culture puts too much value on entertainment and not enough on education and this is just a symptom of that.

hoglady

Quote from: ThundrHawg on March 07, 2018, 02:21:11 am
We could do away with this entire issue by getting rid of athletic scholarships altogether. Why do we pay people who in many cases have no business in a place of higher learning to attend school when there are people who could benefit from that education who can't afford it. Our culture puts too much value on entertainment and not enough on education and this is just a symptom of that.

College sports would only exist for the rich kids to play if you did away with scholarships.
Not many middle class and low income families could afford to send their kid to school and pay all his bills while he/she played sports instead of working. 
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 06, 2018, 07:09:44 pm
The NBA forced the 1 year wait rule because they thought it was harmful to the league that a bunch of high school kids who thought they were they next Kobe Bryant trying to  going straight to the NBA. The NBA thought it was bad for their league. If the G-League expands that will no longer be the case. If the NBA follow through than these kids can go to a development league, earn a salary and try to make it. It is an absolute waste to give a one and done player an athletic scholarship for one year for academic purposes, the only reason schools give these kids scholarships is because they believe those kids will help them win more games so they can make more money.

As for the kids, what option are you going to choose in today's climate, go overseas and play without any TV exposure and hope to get drafted in a year or go to a major college that is always on TV with a full scholarship for one year? There really are not any options outside of that today, yeah you could sit around and do nothing for a year and hope that your still on the NBA's radar but that is a worse option than the other two. 

I never said all options were equal. Each player has to decide for themselves which option is best for them. However that is still their choice. I agree any decent option would ther  Han college for a FEW players is fine in my book. The problem is some of them don't get good advice and then aren't eligible to get a college scholarship when they don't make it in the pros at any level. Oh well to bad for them. Maybe they can go to college when the pros kick them out and work to pay for it like a lot of others do. That's what my wife did before we got married. Got a small grant, loan and worked TWO jobs while carrying a full class load year round while easing a teenage son. Is it hard? Of course. Can it be done? Yes. I've seen it up close. Her inspiration is what motivated him to go on and graduate from the UA and then MIT.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on March 06, 2018, 10:09:45 pm
You're still regulating what a kid can choose to do with his professional talent. If a kid has opportunities, be him an engineer or a basketball player, there shouldn't be rules or laws inhibiting him from profiting off his talents, let alone letting someone else profit off his talents. That's just not right.

You go ahead and hire an engineer to build something without a college degree. Not me. A LOT of jobs require a college degree. Next time you need a doctor then go to one without a degree. I'm sure there is one in Outer Mongolia there for you.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on March 07, 2018, 06:54:01 am
College sports would only exist for the rich kids to play if you did away with scholarships.
Not many middle class and low income families could afford to send their kid to school and pay all his bills while he/she played sports instead of working. 

The Ivy League says Hi. A lot of students there go on academic scholarships. That what my son did at MIT. He didn't play sports either. Who says a kid has to do so.

Inhogswetrust

March 07, 2018, 07:21:08 am #134 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:33:07 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ThundrHawg on March 07, 2018, 02:21:11 am

I think baseball has it right for the most part. That being said I like limited scholarships and partials.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 07, 2018, 07:19:13 am
The Ivy League says Hi. A lot of students there go on academic scholarships. That what my son did at MIT. He didn't play sports either. Who says a kid has to do so.

No one says a kid has to play sports.
I was responding to a poster who said to do away with athletic scholarships.
Might as well do away with college sports then.
Not all kids are smart enough for an academic scholarship and not all kids parents can afford to pay for college and support them while they play sports.

And I certainly don't think a college athlete should have to take out student loans to go to school while the school makes millions off them.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 06, 2018, 05:59:02 pm

One that recognizes his potential, and would be willing to pay him while he learns on the job, just like if a NBA team wants to draft a FR and are willing to pay him while they teach him how to play NBA basketball.

But my point was more to those saying a college player should have to stay 3 years, when a normal college student is not bound by such, even ones on full academic scholarships. They are free to leave anytime for any reason, including taking a full time job in their field of study. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 07, 2018, 07:21:08 am
I think baseball has it right for the most part. That being said I like limited scholarships and partials.

Not asking to be a jerk, but have you had to put a kid through college? Do you think someone who comes from the background that many college football and basketball players come from could afford to send a kid to school if they only got a 1/4 or maybe a 1/3 of a scholarship/ That is one reason their are so few AA players in college baseball, because players there usually get 1/4 of a scholarship or less and they just can not afford it.

razorback1829

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 07, 2018, 12:23:15 am
I'm not confusing anything, when you create rules that prohibit individuals from pursuing their best interests you are taking away their ability to make choices that benefit them. That is BS. And for what, so a university that is already making millions off that student athlete can make more money while the kids get shafted? So the fans can feel good about their chances for next year instead of worrying about who a kid's replacement will be? Rules like that are only created in the interest of everyone but the kid.

Some of you guys may be upset if Daniel Gafford goes to the NBA next year, but your only upset because your scared Arkansas will lose their best player and won't be good. That's just selfish on your part, if he has a chance to make 2-3 million+ a year  than run don't walk to take it. That's life changing money and no one in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to go from making nothing to making millions based on their talent.

BTW.. it is the exceptions we are talking about anyway with the one-and-dones. Let's see almost 350 teams in D1 and around 4500 kids playing. How many one-and-dones in a year? I'm guessing easily less than 1%. So these rules you want to implement are targeted at the exceptions to begin with.

Nobody will address the truly different dynamics of college basketball players developing and being ready to compete faster than other sports, and are stuck in their ways of trying to preserve this idea that these kids really go to school for an education.

They literally want to FORCE kids who might not of had the same spotlight coming up to go to school for 3 years, instead of letting them maybe play their way into the draft in a year or two. It's the most UnAmnerican thing ever. 

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 08:36:18 am
Not asking to be a jerk, but have you had to put a kid through college? Do you think someone who comes from the background that many college football and basketball players come from could afford to send a kid to school if they only got a 1/4 or maybe a 1/3 of a scholarship/ That is one reason their are so few AA players in college baseball, because players there usually get 1/4 of a scholarship or less and they just can not afford it.

This is why I'm opposed to Title IX. It mandates that Softball scholarship players, lady Gymnastics scholarship athletes and lady track scholarship athletes all get full rides while the men's track athletes and baseball players get the shaft.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 07, 2018, 08:50:20 am
Nobody will address the truly different dynamics of college basketball players developing and being ready to compete faster than other sports, and are stuck in their ways of trying to preserve this idea that these kids really go to school for an education.

They literally want to FORCE kids who might not of had the same spotlight coming up to go to school for 3 years, instead of letting them maybe play their way into the draft in a year or two. It's the most UnAmnerican thing ever. 

The key word in your post is "maybe". Most players who would play in the D League will never make it to the big leagues. Though the D league is not the main NBA level, it's still a form of Professional basketball so those who choose to go that route and don't make it to the NBA would be ineligible to play college ball, what would be left for them? In Major League Baseball, those that are drafted out of high school and choose to go that route but are not good enough to make it out of the minor Leagues to the big league level are given the option of going to college on the Pro Baseball franchise's dime and playing another sport. The NBA isn't offering that option to D league players in their proposal.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on March 07, 2018, 09:10:05 am
This is why I'm opposed to Title IX. It mandates that Softball scholarship players, lady Gymnastics scholarship athletes and lady track scholarship athletes all get full rides while the men's track athletes and baseball players get the shaft.

No it doesn't. It only mandates that as many female athletes as male athletes get full rides. That a school has 85 football players on full rides is what makes it to where pretty much every female athlete is on a full scholarship.

So you'd rather football mens bball and mens baseball get full rides and all the ladies have to pretty much pay their own way?   

hoghiker

One and done isn't about college. It's about basketball. It's, more to the point, about professional basketball. I see both sides of this agruement, but I can't look at Kentucky and see anything positive for college basketball. The lines have been blurred so much that student-athlete is laughable. Stay in dorm, take college classes on line, play hoops for 5 months and call it all good. It's why I've lost lots of interest in college sports.

311Hog

Quote from: hoghiker on March 07, 2018, 11:32:51 am
One and done isn't about college. It's about basketball. It's, more to the point, about professional basketball. I see both sides of this agruement, but I can't look at Kentucky and see anything positive for college basketball. The lines have been blurred so much that student-athlete is laughable. Stay in dorm, take college classes on line, play hoops for 5 months and call it all good. It's why I've lost lots of interest in college sports.

and that dorm makes Mara Lago look like a trailer park.

99toLife

Quote from: 311Hog on March 07, 2018, 11:35:33 am
and that dorm makes Mara Lago look like a trailer park.

Back in the early 80's in college I would use my buddies ID to eat at the Athletic cafeteria from time to time , Wednesday dinner was always steak night. Dang..

311Hog

Quote from: 99toLife on March 07, 2018, 11:38:46 am
Back in the early 80's in college I would use my buddies ID to eat at the Athletic cafeteria from time to time , Wednesday dinner was always steak night. Dang..

man you should see it now

wow...

bphi11ips

So many here are so entrenched in their position that they forget or don't understand what is going on. 

Professional sports make decisions based upon money and what is good for the league and the sport itself.  It is expensive to train players.  If minor league baseball teams are unprofitable they fold.  If G league teams can make money they will grow in numbers.  If minor league professional football teams were viable commercially, every 4 and 5 star would play minor league football in smaller markets.

The NFL considers it to be in its best interest to let colleges bear the expense of player development.  Maybe the NBA is coming around to that model.  An ancillary benefit is the personal brands players build in college.  Those brands sell tickets.  Minor league players have virtually no branding whatsoever.

Colleges determine their own rules.  Teams can pay players if they want, but if they want to participate in NCAA sanctioned events, they have to follow NCAA rules.

The way it works is American free market economy at its best.  There is no state action here forcing anyone to do things other than follow existing laws like  everyone else.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: hoglady on March 07, 2018, 06:54:01 am

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 07, 2018, 07:19:13 am
The Ivy League says Hi. A lot of students there go on academic scholarships. That what my son did at MIT. He didn’t play sports either. Who says a kid has to do so.

Lol wut? Ivy League players can only play because either their parents can pay the 45k a year in tuition. And if they are poor, they can only go their because their endowment is 3600% higher than Arkansas's so they can hand out scholarships like candy. This isn't something that would work for 99% of the schools in the country. It would just turn college sports into nothing more than intramurals.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2018, 10:29:55 am
No it doesn't. It only mandates that as many female athletes as male athletes get full rides. That a school has 85 football players on full rides is what makes it to where pretty much every female athlete is on a full scholarship.

So you'd rather football mens bball and mens baseball get full rides and all the ladies have to pretty much pay their own way?   

No, I'd much rather it say "all scholarship athletes must get full rides, both Male and Female".

GlassofSwine

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 07, 2018, 11:57:30 am
So many here are so entrenched in their position that they forget or don't understand what is going on. 

Professional sports make decisions based upon money and what is good for the league and the sport itself.  It is expensive to train players.  If minor league baseball teams are unprofitable they fold.  If G league teams can make money they will grow in numbers.  If minor league professional football teams were viable commercially, every 4 and 5 star would play minor league football in smaller markets.

The NFL considers it to be in its best interest to let colleges bear the expense of player development.  Maybe the NBA is coming around to that model.  An ancillary benefit is the personal brands players build in college.  Those brands sell tickets.  Minor league players have virtually no branding whatsoever.

Colleges determine their own rules.  Teams can pay players if they want, but if they want to participate in NCAA sanctioned events, they have to follow NCAA rules.

The way it works is American free market economy at its best.  There is no state action here forcing anyone to do things other than follow existing laws like  everyone else.

Two thoughts on your statements:

• Football is a bad comparison, the amount of money and players required to field a football team is far more than that of a basketball team.
  • Colleges in theory may be able to determine their rules but not if they want to compete. Let's say UA decides to pay their players. Say goodbye to the SEC and the NCAA and the money that comes along with it, then who are you going to play against? The answer, no one.