Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye one and done (ESPN article) click photo

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 05, 2018, 06:02:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

March 05, 2018, 06:02:41 pm Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:59:11 pm by The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

checkraiser88

So the NBA will be there to talk kids out of going to college. Good deal!

BoarEd

31to6

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 05, 2018, 06:07:02 pm
So the NBA will be there to talk kids out of going to college. Good deal!
For $26k a year. Room, board and access to college life for 3-5 years is worth more than that, easy.

Even if they up the salaries, college will still be the smart decision for most players. There is *no guarantee* that you have a job in year 2 in a developmental league. Your ability to finish your degree at college, however, is pretty much guaranteed under the current NCAA rules, even if you destroy your back 2 minutes into your first college game.

I'm ok with a path for players who truly cannot succeed at college but who have talent. But if large numbers of those players go to some sort of farm system, there is probably a lot of squandered potential for those who get hurt or who just can't cut it (and who gave lip service in HS because they didn't think they would ever need college).

raz1965

When kids turn 18 they are considered grown an should have the choice to play for pay, be it a good or bad decision, no different than many other choices made in life by adults. College basketball will not suffer, but the landscape will change for some programs.

The_Bionic_Pig

I believe they will be afforded the same opportunity as college player's to submit their names, test the waters in camp and receive a honest opinion concerning their prospective draft position.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

k.c.hawg

Quote from: 31to6 on March 05, 2018, 06:18:45 pm
For $26k a year. Room, board and access to college life for 3-5 years is worth more than that, easy.

Even if they up the salaries, college will still be the smart decision for most players. There is *no guarantee* that you have a job in year 2 in a developmental league. Your ability to finish your degree at college, however, is pretty much guaranteed under the current NCAA rules, even if you destroy your back 2 minutes into your first college game.

I'm ok with a path for players who truly cannot succeed at college but who have talent. But if large numbers of those players go to some sort of farm system, there is probably a lot of squandered potential for those who get hurt or who just can't cut it (and who gave lip service in HS because they didn't think they would ever need college).

Might read the article
The NBA already has created an "in between" for the G League and NBA rosters with two-way contracts, in which players earn the equivalent of $75,000 when in the G League and then earn an NBA minimum salary when with the parent club. A plan to create another version of this could be launched for 18-year-olds that would make it more financially attractive for them to stay in the U.S. and get more NBA-level coaching and training as they prepare to eventually be formally drafted into the league.

I posted about this last week. Soon every team in the NBA will have a G league team. They could draft 2 High School kids a year and it would take the top 50 to 60 kids out the college basketball mix. I think it will ultimately make the college game better and it will get the shoe companies payoffs, handlers and agents further away from the college game.  We will get back to more upperclassmen in the game, better execution, better recognition of the players. In the 80's and 90's I knew most every starter sometimes down to 7th or 8th men on the top 45 to 50 teams because of the class balance and guys being there 3 and 4 years. You will still have guys blow up and leave after 2 years but i personally look forward to this happening.

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 02, 2018, 11:08:09 am
They are in the process of changing it right now, it might be the next bargaining agreement, it is just a matter of who wins the battle. The commissioner wants the age changed to 20, the NBAPA wants it to be 18. The fact that every team is going to have a G league team by 20 and they can already have 2 players that can go up and down on a dual contract tells me they are looking for a place to develop and stash 18 year old's without the parent team having to use roster space.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BoarEd

This will be a good thing for college basketball. No doubt in my mind.

PygmalionEffect2

We might have reached the point where any change to the draft in basketball can only be a change for the better as it relates to college.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

mhsbc59

Quote from: 31to6 on March 05, 2018, 06:18:45 pm

I'm all for getting kids out of college that don't belong in college
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

cram224

If they elect to go to college they should have to wait 4 years before being drafted. I know it would be a tuff choice for an 18 year old. However life's full of tuff choices. Go to college get 3 1/2 years credit toward a degree and you have something to fall back on. The NBA needs to be really honest with the kids and their families. I can't see 40 or 50 kids a year good enough to go straight out of high school.

AlmaHog2011

Let them go out of high school. If they do go to college same rule as football. If they don't want to attend college then they should be able to play anywhere they want that has a league. D League ABC whatever league.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: cram224 on March 05, 2018, 08:33:07 pm
If they elect to go to college they should have to wait 4 years before being drafted. I know it would be a tuff choice for an 18 year old. However life's full of tuff choices. Go to college get 3 1/2 years credit toward a degree and you have something to fall back on. The NBA needs to be really honest with the kids and their families. I can't see 40 or 50 kids a year good enough to go straight out of high school.
Sucks that all they are about is the almighty dollar

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Report: NBA to consider allowing elite high school talent play, end one-and-done era

QuoteNBA commissioner Adam Silver is considering a major change that would alter the trajectory of the NCAA, G-League and the league.

According to a report from ESPN's Brian Windhorst, Silver's office is alarmed by scandals going on in the NCAA and in the AAU system, and is considering a move that would allow high school players to compete in the NBA or its developmental league.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 05, 2018, 09:17:15 pm
Sucks that all they are about is the almighty dollar

It's an entertainment BUSINESS. Of course they are about the $.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

riccoar

How about we worry about making sure they receive an education first.  Everyone is worried about people getting paid their money.  People?  Know how many active players from Arkansas are in the NBA today?  3.  So we are worried about 3 people getting their money.  People forget all those other kids who didn't or won't make it and then have no means to complete the one resource that will help them succeed.

jgphillips3

Since we either won't or can't get a one and done to play here (for reasons nefarious or banal), I'm all for it.  Yeah, it would hurt the overall talent level in college basketball but only among the elite.  We would still get the same guys we always get and the Kentucky's and Duke's of the world would still get good players, but not a team full of guys we can't hope to compete with.

The_Iceman

If they are going to do all of this, if you enroll in college, you have to stay 3 years. That would make football, basketball, and baseball the same.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 07:12:54 am
If they are going to do all of this, if you enroll in college, you have to stay 3 years. That would make football, basketball, and baseball the same.

Football and baseball are not the same. Baseball players are eligible for the mlb draft out of hoghschool. Only if they opt to enroll in college, does the three year rule kick in.
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on March 06, 2018, 07:37:34 am
Football and baseball are not the same. Baseball players are eligible for the mlb draft out of hoghschool. Only if they opt to enroll in college, does the three year rule kick in.

What I was saying was: if you allow kids to go to the NBA out of high school, then make college basketball a 3 year requirement.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 07:12:54 am

Make an arbitrary term limit make sense to me. Because it sure as hell doesn't now.

ArkansasI

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 08:09:46 am
What I was saying was: if you allow kids to go to the NBA out of high school, then make college basketball a 3 year requirement.

Why?

Hawg Red

hogsanity

Quote from: cram224 on March 05, 2018, 08:33:07 pm
If they elect to go to college they should have to wait 4 years before being drafted.

Why? My son is Fr engineering major. If someone comes and offers him a 100K a yr job right now, he is free to go take it. Why should it be different for a basketball player?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on March 06, 2018, 07:05:22 am
How about we worry about making sure they receive an education first.  Everyone is worried about people getting paid their money.  People?  Know how many active players from Arkansas are in the NBA today?  3.  So we are worried about 3 people getting their money.  People forget all those other kids who didn't or won't make it and then have no means to complete the one resource that will help them succeed.

It should be no one but each individual player's concern on their education. You can go to college at any age but you cannot play basketball/sports at any age. These players have a finite number of years to pursue their professional dreams. They can go get a degree when they're 34.

GuvHog

Quote from: raz1965 on March 05, 2018, 06:27:50 pm
When kids turn 18 they are considered grown an should have the choice to play for pay, be it a good or bad decision, no different than many other choices made in life by adults. College basketball will not suffer, but the landscape will change for some programs.

Totally disagree. 18 year olds are considered physically grown but they are not mentally and emotionally mature adults. I agree that they should have a choice but the choices should be limited. What the NBA commissioner is proposing would:

(A) Water down the NBA a great deal

(B) Totally destroy College basketball.

Upon graduating high school the choices should be:

(A) Enter an NBA Developmental league and play for 3 years at a max salary of 28,000 a year then become eligible for the NBA Draft.

(B) Go to college and play 3 years, becoming draft eligible after the 3rd year.

The NBA should not be able to have any contact at all with High School players until after Graduation when they would give the players advice on which direction would be the best way for the players to go.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MountieDawg

It will boil down to playing in front of 600 fans or $20,000 fans.  It will boil down to being seen my millions on TV or by thousands.... As good as the minor leagues in baseball are, no one really cares about wins or losses, rarely TV and stay in crappy hotels.
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 08:18:24 am
Betcha he can't come up with a good, well-reasoned answer.

Why do College Football and College Baseball have 3 year requirements?

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 09:31:56 am

Don't answer a question with a question. What is YOUR reason for why BASKETBALL players need to stay 3 years in college if they don't go pro out of high school? Why does that make sense for BASKETBALL players?

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:42:33 am
Don't answer a question with a question. What is YOUR reason for why BASKETBALL players need to stay 3 years in college if they don't go pro out of high school? Why does that make sense for BASKETBALL players?

because it makes the college experience meaningful.

If a player chooses to go to school then make them go to school.  one and done's dont even go to class, and if they do it is usually blow off classes because they only have to maintain eligibility for a semester or two at the most.

If a kid is going to school getting 3 years of college courses will ensure they HAVE to get something out of it, you cannot take 3 years worth of crap/underwater basketweaving.

It establishes a commitment to a process and an institution.

If you are good enough and want to go be a pro athlete out of HS great go do that, play in the minors work your way up, but if you want to go to school and get a good start or even perhaps complete a degree than stay for 3 years.

I think the baseball model works extremely well.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 08:09:46 am

I don't think that's necessary for basketball. When you give requirements, it will create a another black market in the sport, which is what we are trying to get away from.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 09:31:56 am

Actually, baseball only has a 3 year requirement IF you choose to go to college, but you can be drafted right out of HS. All of these requirements, as well as the NBA and NHL, are imposed as part of their Pro League's CBA. None are imposed by the NCAA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on March 06, 2018, 09:46:48 am
Actually, baseball only has a 3 year requirement IF you choose to go to college, but you can be drafted right out of HS. All of these requirements, as well as the NBA and NHL, are imposed as part of their Pro League's CBA. None are imposed by the NCAA.

I know that. I think a 3 year requirement should be in place for all 3 sports if kids go to college. That way they focus on their education for the 3 years and aren't worried after each good game if they should throw it all away and go pro.

I also think any player that declares for the draft after their 3rd year should be able to return to college if they aren't selected in the 1st Round and don't sign a contract.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 311Hog on March 06, 2018, 09:45:41 am

If a player chooses to go to school then make them go to school.  one and done's dont even go to class, and if they do it is usually blow off classes because they only have to maintain eligibility for a semester or two at the most.

If a kid is going to school getting 3 years of college courses will ensure they HAVE to get something out of it, you cannot take 3 years worth of crap/underwater basketweaving.

If you are good enough and want to go be a pro athlete out of HS great go do that, play in the minors work your way up, but if you want to go to school and get a good start or even perhaps complete a degree than stay for 3 years.

So you think it's okay to block a player from going to the NBA and making millions and millions of dollars that most likely aren't going to be available to him elsewhere in the basketball world because he simply wasn't ready for the NBA after high school or one or two years of college? Players develop at different rates. What you are proposing is a punishment to these players just as the current age limit is.

I can't speak with any kind of certainty what is working in baseball but I do know that the MLB draft is 40 rounds long and features over 1,000 draft picks each, and that each MLB team has MULTIPLE minor league teams. Just a little bit different than the NBA, don't you think?

The_Iceman

Quote from: 311Hog on March 06, 2018, 09:45:41 am

Exactly. The baseball model would work perfect for basketball, especially with the improvement of the G-league.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 09:52:36 am
I know that. I think a 3 year requirement should be in place for all 3 sports if kids go to college. That way they focus on their education for the 3 years and aren't worried after each good game if they should throw it all away and go pro.

I also think any player that declares for the draft after their 3rd year should be able to return to college if they aren't selected in the 1st Round and don't sign a contract.

When do you get to the part where this all makes any kind of sense?

Cause "focus on their education" really doesn't. They can do that at any point in their life.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 09:53:39 am
Exactly. The baseball model would work perfect for basketball, especially with the improvement of the G-league.

Yeah, at most 30 G-League teams (not even there yet) and 60 draft picks vs. 90 MLB minor league teams and over 1,000 draft picks per yet. Perfect comparison.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 09:52:36 am

If you're ready to go play in the NBA in your sophomore year, you should be able to go. Period. Basketball players develop differently in most cases with basketball. And there's only so many year to get in there before younger talent comes in. There's not a lot of NBA players in the world.

Hawg Red

Look, if any of you want to say, "Hey, I just want a baseball-style rule because I think that benefits college basketball and that's what I'm really concerned with," just do it and stop pretending that this crap is fair or makes any kind of sense to have that kind of restrictive rule in place. Stop the farce.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:52:51 am
So you think it's okay to block a player from going to the NBA and making millions and millions of dollars that most likely aren't going to be available to him elsewhere in the basketball world because he simply wasn't ready for the NBA after high school or one or two years of college? Players develop at different rates. What you are proposing is a punishment to these players just as the current age limit is.

I can't speak with any kind of certainty what is working in baseball but I do know that the MLB draft is 40 rounds long and features over 1,000 draft picks each, and that each MLB team has MULTIPLE minor league teams. Just a little bit different than the NBA, don't you think?

this is because you are focused on this issue from a purely "sport" side of it.  Develop on the court is what you are totally focused on.

If a kid's only desire is to "develop on the court" than he should pick option A. go straight to the league, work his way up from the G League.

College is not the "minor leagues" of the NBA, NFL, or MLB.
That is the point

One and done's are "cheapening" the college experience for others. Sure the school gets theirs etc. but the fact is these kids are not going to school they are not getting anything for their tuition and the academic reputation is effected for all non athletes.

If a kid has dreams of the NBA and wants to go to school for real than he should pick Option B. to where he can develop himself both on the court and in the classroom and have it be meaningful.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 06, 2018, 09:57:16 am
If you're ready to go play in the NBA in your sophomore year, you should be able to go. Period. Basketball players develop differently in most cases with basketball. And there's only so many year to get in there before younger talent comes in. There's not a lot of NBA players in the world.

To your point, Blake Griffin would have lost a crap ton of money under the baseball model. All because he needed a couple of years out of high school. Basketball players should be able to get in when they fit in once out of high school.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:55:58 am
Yeah, at most 30 G-League teams (not even there yet) and 60 draft picks vs. 90 MLB minor league teams and over 1,000 draft picks per yet. Perfect comparison.

of course it isn't going to work the same "RIGHT NOW" this is something that has to be developed.

311Hog

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 06, 2018, 09:57:16 am

if you are old enough in your sophomore year you can go.  Look at Benintendi because of his age he was able to leave after 2 years, and because of his age he could have also had an additional year of "leverage" in the draft process

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:52:51 am

Not really. The amount of basketball players compared to the amount of G-league teams is appropriate considering the sport.

Also, the rule is put in place for the Professional organization, not the NCAA. I knew people in law school that were probably capable of being a lawyer right then, but the state required a law degree and passing the bar. If the NBA says if you go to college, you need to stay 3 years, that's their right.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:59:31 am
To your point, Blake Griffin would have lost a crap ton of money under the baseball model. All because he needed a couple of years out of high school. Basketball players should be able to get in when they fit in once out of high school.

Exactly. Basketball players develop differently and there's just not that many spots. 60 players get drafted per year. It's just ignorant to compare them baseball and football.

For instance, how many baseball players are there on a pro roster? 53 for football, still many more than the NBA.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 311Hog on March 06, 2018, 09:59:16 am
this is because you are focused on this issue from a purely "sport" side of it.  Develop on the court is what you are totally focused on.

If a kid's only desire is to "develop on the court" than he should pick option A. go straight to the league, work his way up from the G League.

College is not the "minor leagues" of the NBA, NFL, or MLB.
That is the point

One and done's are "cheapening" the college experience for others. Sure the school gets theirs etc. but the fact is these kids are not going to school they are not getting anything for their tuition and the academic reputation is effected for all non athletes.

If a kid has dreams of the NBA and wants to go to school for real than he should pick Option B. to where he can develop himself both on the court and in the classroom and have it be meaningful.

But why should the NBA make a rule that only benefits the NCAA?

For the millionth time, MAKE THIS MAKE SENSE.

A kid can go to school with every intention of staying their 4 years, but what he explodes and is all of a sudden a lottery-level talent? Tough sh-t? What you're talking about is so incredibly and unnecessarily restrictive and all because you just want college basketball to be protected against players leaving early. Hell, it's pretty much unAmerican if you ask me. These players should have the freedom to pursue their professional aspirations at the highest level just like players like Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, etc. proved high school kids are able to do. And if they don't make it, that's okay, too. Plenty of college juniors and seniors flame out as well. It's not in anyone but the NCAA and their fans' best interest to implement an age limit or baseball-style rule.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 10:05:40 am

A kid can go to school with every intention of staying their 4 years, but what he explodes and is all of a sudden a lottery-level talent? Tough sh-t? What you're talking about is so incredibly and unnecessarily restrictive and all because you just want college basketball to be protected against players leaving early. Hell, it's pretty much unAmerican if you ask me. These players should have the freedom to pursue their professional aspirations at the highest level just like players like Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, etc. proved high school kids are able to do. And if they don't make it, that's okay, too. Plenty of college juniors and seniors flame out as well. It's not in anyone but the NCAA and their fans' best interest to implement an age limit or baseball-style rule.

You hit it on the head. The most unAmerican thing ever. Time to stop giving the NCAA the power to take advantage of the kid.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 10:02:27 am
Not really. The amount of basketball players compared to the amount of G-league teams is appropriate considering the sport.

Also, the rule is put in place for the Professional organization, not the NCAA. I knew people in law school that were probably capable of being a lawyer right then, but the state required a law degree and passing the bar. If the NBA says if you go to college, you need to stay 3 years, that's their right.

The NBA is full of sh-t. Can't wait until this is all ultimately challenged in court and this type of crap is overruled. Precedence only works against the NBA. They the league for years with stars out of high school and have been doing so with one-year college players for the last decade. There is no real claim for the NBA to say that these players need to have any number of years after high school before they can enter the league, and they know it.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 10:05:40 am

dude i think you are mistaken.

1. the NBA is in control of this, the one and done is THEIR rule.  College is going to college regardless if players leave at 1, 2, 3 years it doesn't matter to them.
2. All the players you mention are the exception not the rule btw.  We aren't talking about them, we are talking about the other kids that are not "cant miss" talents they have a choice.  Go to the League forgo their college experience or commit to a specific length of time, 2 years 3 years what have you otherwise why would they gain entry into college? if they aren't even going to go to class.  You should watch the showtime documentary on Ben Simmons and see what his one and done year was like at LSU it isn't as good as you would think.
3. Not all players infact MOST players will never sniff the NBA just like with the MLB most players never make it to the league, but at least they are more than on their way to a completed college degree.  That is the point.  Players are given scholarships as part of their incentive to go to college, if a kid never passes any classes what is the point of the scholarship? what is the point of going to school?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 06, 2018, 09:59:31 am

Why would he have lost money? He was a 5-star McDonald's All American. He could have either gone pro right away, or left after his Junior year.