Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calipari has a very interesting proposal...

Started by Bogghawg, February 27, 2018, 06:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

I read this through several times, and I'm sure some of you will reject it just because of the source, and some will find legit things to disagree with, but I was very surprised, and a little nauseated, to realize I mostly agreed with this (considering the source).  What do y'all think?
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/kentucky-coach-john-calipari-offers-interesting-solution-cleaning-college-baskeball/
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

247Hog

Taking advice from Cal to clean up basketball like asking a pimp to make sure his ladies keep their virginity in check.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Bogghawg

Quote from: 247Hog on February 27, 2018, 07:44:59 pm
Taking advice from Cal to clean up basketball like asking a pimp to make sure his ladies keep their virginity in check.
And yet what he says makes a germ of sense...
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

247Hog

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 27, 2018, 07:47:05 pm
And yet what he says makes a germ of sense...

Haha yup, that's the scary part. Makes sense that the person most qualified person to clean up the mess is the most dirty coach out there. He knows the in and outs of the dirty recruiting game.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HeyHogs

Quote from: 247Hog on February 27, 2018, 07:44:59 pm
+Gajillion

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Yosemite Ham

Cal giving advice on being clean is like giving birth control to a nun. Useless and misguided.
Elmer Fudds a [CENSORED]

Foshodo

Otto Porter is on a max contract right now for the Washington Wizards... the whole "he has it, i want it" thing is unfortunately a big part of this... he can play it off to say well, we dont think youre deserving of it and pass but the reason so many agents are tapping into these kids now is potential... how many kids with millionaire potential are you going to say sorry, you arent worth the risk to?

k.c.hawg

Why would the players association make loans to guys that might very well never play in the league and default on the loans?? The agents do it with an incentive....hoping to land the player. Then they still eat 70% of the loans because the players know the agent can't report the loan. It would be like a drug dealer reporting they fronted dope to someone that didn't pay to the DEA.

The simple solution is let these guys go to the G league. The people fighting that are Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas.....all the teams loading up on one and dones. Does anyone think any hardcore Kentucky fan cares about any of these players they had under Cal like they did Dan Issel, Kevin Grevey, Kyle Macy, Goose Givens, Sam Bowie, Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk, Tayshaun Prince. Hell no!! Same with Duke...... Hill, Laettner, Hurley. Same with UNC. Let the guys that can get paid go get paid. Let the rest of the guys go to school and stay 2 or 3 years. I never missed Garnett, Koby or LeBron or the other 40 to 50 guys that thought they were Garnett, Koby or LeBron.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Yosemite Ham on February 27, 2018, 08:27:06 pm
Cal giving advice on being clean is like giving birth control to a nun. Useless and misguided.

I didn't know you were Catholic!?!?

The problem is the NBAPA is taking a lot of liability loaning out money to kids that could POTENTIALLY make enough money to pay back the loan. When you get a loan from the bank for a car or house, there is colateral there. There would be none here.

The only thing I can think to compare it to is student loans......but this is even riskier IMO

NoogaHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 28, 2018, 01:10:16 am
Why would the players association make loans to guys that might very well never play in the league and default on the loans?? The agents do it with an incentive....hoping to land the player. Then they still eat 70% of the loans because the players know the agent can't report the loan. It would be like a drug dealer reporting they fronted dope to someone that didn't pay to the DEA.

The simple solution is let these guys go to the G league. The people fighting that are Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas.....all the teams loading up on one and dones. Does anyone think any hardcore Kentucky fan cares about any of these players they had under Cal like they did Dan Issel, Kevin Grevey, Kyle Macy, Goose Givens, Sam Bowie, Jamal Mashburn, Tony Delk, Tayshaun Prince. Hell no!! Same with Duke...... Hill, Laettner, Hurley. Same with UNC. Let the guys that can get paid go get paid. Let the rest of the guys go to school and stay 2 or 3 years. I never missed Garnett, Koby or LeBron or the other 40 to 50 guys that thought they were Garnett, Koby or LeBron.

I agree. Why can't the NBA and the NCAA do it like hockey, tennis, and baseball are doing it now. If you can enter the draft out of high school, so be it. Hire an "advisor" and go for it. If you decide to go to school, you break off your relationship with your advisor and are not eligible for the draft for 2 more years. seems simple and consistent with other sports (although with hockey and baseball you are not eligible for the draft for 3 years).
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Dirty

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

GuvHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 28, 2018, 01:10:16 am

I respectfully disagree. What you suggest would really hurt the quality of College basketball.

IMHO the best thing to do is give players coming out of high school 2 choices:

(A) Go to college, hone ones skills while getting an education, and become eligible for the NBA draft after their Junior year

0r

(B) Go to an NBA developmental league, be paid a small salary, and become eligible for the NBA draft after the 3rd year in that league.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mizzouman

Quote from: Bogghawg on February 27, 2018, 06:26:24 pm
I read this through several times, and I'm sure some of you will reject it just because of the source, and some will find legit things to disagree with, but I was very surprised, and a little nauseated, to realize I mostly agreed with this (considering the source).  What do y'all think?
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/kentucky-coach-john-calipari-offers-interesting-solution-cleaning-college-baskeball/
I made the same argument the other day.  I think that all scholarship athletes should be able to take a loan but not from the NBA, but from a bank whereby the NCAA will guarantee.  The student athlete must start repaying the loan when they graduate or leave school just like a student loan.

Allow the athletes up to $15,000 per year or whatever.  If they make the NBA, then great, they can pay all that back when they sign a contract.  If they don't, then they just pay the money back just like any other borrower.

Now, will this get rid of the agents?  Not entirely.  But this coupled with getting rid of the one & done will help A LOT.

BoarEd

I think Calipari has a pretty good point, but the thing that would make the MOST difference in all of this is closing the one-and-done loophole. If the NBA doesn't want players straight out of high school then they need to have another option for them besides playing a single season in college. It's an absurd idea. It's a bastardization of the entire "student athlete" premise.

Someone mentioned Grant Hill in this thread. Man, did you guys know that that year Arkansas beat Duke for the title it was like the only year that Grant Hill was there that Duke didn't win the national title? That's incredible. People say the game would suffer if they closed the one-and-done loophole? I don't think we would even notice other than by seeing a larger pool of teams have a shot at winning it. When Grant Hill was at Duke there was no one-and-done nonsense going on. Still had great teams and great players. But they stayed their entire four years, or sometimes left one year early.

azhog10

I don't know if I like the NBPA being the decision maker for loans. Primarily since you have players who could help advocate to help someone with a loan if they go to X school. But I do like the idea, if I had the money, of giving out loans to future NBA stars. I think one could make a pretty good living off doing that. Similar to student loans, you can give athletic loans.

I like the idea.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 07:50:01 am
I respectfully disagree. What you suggest would really hurt the quality of College basketball.

(A) Go to college, hone ones skills while getting an education, and become eligible for the NBA draft after their Junior year

0r

(B) Go to an NBA developmental league, be paid a small salary, and become eligible for the NBA draft after the 3rd year in that league.
I don't mind this idea at all. The problem that football and basketball have that hocked and baseball don't have is that they don't have a great minor-league system. There's not a clear path for an 18-year-old to get to the NBA by 21. He has to play overseas if he wants to make money, and those leagues have no affiliation with the NBA, OR he has to try to latch onto a G-League team, which may get him a shot.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

BrooklynRoss

The NCAA just needs to stop stealing the rights for these kids to profit off their likeness. I can't even believe that's even legal. Jamie Fox's kid is a student at USC. Should they restrict her from making crap loads of money from her modeling appearances? She'd sue the crap out of them. Karlie Kloss is a student at NYU. She appeared on Gossip Girl as literally herself and got paid plenty. Should NYU take that money?
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

sowmonella

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 28, 2018, 09:26:04 am
The NCAA just needs to stop stealing the rights for these kids to profit off their likeness. I can't even believe that's even legal. Jamie Fox's kid is a student at USC. Should they restrict her from making crap loads of money from her modeling appearances? She'd sue the crap out of them. Karlie Kloss is a student at NYU. She appeared on Gossip Girl as literally herself and got paid plenty. Should NYU take that money?

No offence but that is comparing apples to trains.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GuvHog

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on February 28, 2018, 09:26:04 am

The NCAA schools will not give up making a profit that way. I do see the rules eventually being changed so that the college athletes get a percentage of the money the school makes using their likeness.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: sowmonella on February 28, 2018, 09:31:42 am
No offence but that is comparing apples to trains.
It's very different in the sense that they are not representing their respective universities, but it is very similar in the fact that they are college students doing something that brings about a profit for someone else. The whole "We're paying you with an education" thing is not only BS, it's dishonest. College athletes should be compensated for what they're worth. Kentucky basketball players bring a lot of money to the University of Kentucky; therefore, they should be rewarded for that. The value of an education is so far outweighed by the value of the student-athlete to the university. Calipari's proposal basically gets the slime out of the middle of the equation. You will always have players getting money under the table, but they shouldn't be getting money under the table for legitimate things like food or family. The concept of amateur is only propped up by the NCAA so they can make more money.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

ArkansasI

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 28, 2018, 09:40:56 am
It's very different in the sense that they are not representing their respective universities, but it is very similar in the fact that they are college students doing something that brings about a profit for someone else. The whole "We're paying you with an education" thing is not only BS, it's dishonest. College athletes should be compensated for what they're worth. Kentucky basketball players bring a lot of money to the University of Kentucky; therefore, they should be rewarded for that. The value of an education is so far outweighed by the value of the student-athlete to the university. Calipari's proposal basically gets the slime out of the middle of the equation. You will always have players getting money under the table, but they shouldn't be getting money under the table for legitimate things like food or family. The concept of amateur is only propped up by the NCAA so they can make more money.
How many of these players' likenesses would you invest in if they weren't playing for the University of Arkansas (or insert your team here).  My support of these players is the direct result of my support of, and interest in, the University of Arkansas.  They would receive nothing from me otherwise.

Go ahead and form a G league (or whatever level we're discussing) and see what cash can be raised to support it.  If there was money in it, the league would already exist.

Like it or not, we're arguing about 1% of student athletes.  Having a student in college, I can assure you that an education, room and board has considerable value - or so I'm paying.

East TN HAWG

The agents are part of the problem, but not the entire problem.  There are still a lot of folks incentivized to cheat.  This would not solve the issue.     

hogfan10

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 09:35:48 am
The NCAA schools will not give up making a profit that way. I do see the rules eventually being changed so that the college athletes get a percentage of the money the school makes using their likeness.
If that happened all the best athletes would go to school in LA or NY.

hogfan10

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 28, 2018, 09:40:56 am

Course they can always choose to do something else if they don't like the financial setup.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 07:50:01 am

0r

Well that's a terrible idea.

rude1

Then who is going to cover the loans from families or players who don't make it?
Quote from: ArkansasI on February 28, 2018, 10:36:03 am
How many of these players' likenesses would you invest in if they weren't playing for the University of Arkansas (or insert your team here).  My support of these players is the direct result of my support of, and interest in, the University of Arkansas.  They would receive nothing from me otherwise.

Go ahead and form a G league (or whatever level we're discussing) and see what cash can be raised to support it.  If there was money in it, the league would already exist.

Like it or not, we're arguing about 1% of student athletes.  Having a student in college, I can assure you that an education, room and board has considerable value - or so I'm paying.
Is your student in college generating Millions of dollars for the University? Bogus argument that always comes from disgruntled parents who are having to pay for their kids education. I bet neither did the University court your kid and beg them to come to their University...............

golfinpig

Do away with the one and done. I truely believe if a player took it to court that he could force the NBA to allow him to enter draft after high school. In America an organization should not be able to stop a young man from making a living doing what he's good at.

golfinpig

Quote from: rude1 on February 28, 2018, 05:44:36 pm
Then who is going to cover the loans from families or players who don't make it?Is your student in college generating Millions of dollars for the University? Bogus argument that always comes from disgruntled parents who are having to pay for their kids education. I bet neither did the University court your kid and beg them to come to their University...............
Althought I do think athletes should be compensated in some way for all the hours they devote to their sport, you can't discount the 100 thousand dollar education they are getting either. The question is, where is the extra money going to come from. It sure as hell won't come from the billions that the NCAA oligarchs rake in.

hogfan10

Quote from: golfinpig on February 28, 2018, 06:18:26 pm
Do away with the one and done. I truely believe if a player took it to court that he could force the NBA to allow him to enter draft after high school. In America an organization should not be able to stop a young man from making a living doing what he's good at.
But he can't force the nba to draft him.

hogfan10

February 28, 2018, 06:52:25 pm #31 Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:37:44 pm by hogfan10
Then who is going to cover the loans from families or players who don't make it?Is your student in college generating Millions of dollars for the University? Bogus argument that always comes from disgruntled parents who are having to pay for their kids education. I bet neither did the University court your kid and beg them to come to their University...............

what about all the free promotion, coaching, training, medical care, etc that the athlete gets in addition to the free education, room/board, etc while developing their skills. Are some schools getting a bargain, yes. Are the athletes getting the opportunity of a lifetime, yes (and if they're smart that opportunity can be more than just pro athlete status).

ArkansasI

Nice handle.

If the University of Arkansas did not have a college basketball program - or a college football program - or any athletic program whatsoever, I would have no interest in the games played after high school and before professional sports.  And I would probably not have wasted so much of my adulthood investing in such trivial pursuits.

I suspect that a Harvard man is not so nearly consumed in the Crimson's football record over the last decades as I in the Razorbacks'.  While he may celebrate Harvard victories, I doubt he suffers the losses the same as you and me for Arkansas.

Perspective is our friend; and I fear it is lost today.  It is lost in money - as evidenced by what we pay our college coaches, and for tickets, parking and refreshments at games.  We are suckers.

My money for these games goes to the University of Arkansas.  Yours may be intended for the athletes.  However, in my mind the UofA offers fine athletes having a variety of disciplines opportunities to live their dreams that most students have to pay tens - perhaps hundreds - of thousands of dollars to receive.  Perhaps in your mind, the University is leeching money from these kids.  In my mind, we are awarding unique talent with valuable opportunity.

If you desire to further diminish the value of a college education - the one thing that 99% of all college athletes must rely most upon post-graduation for their support - then go right ahead.  A true capitalist would go further by allowing colleges to negotiate an open market value for the services of their student athletes.

How much do we pay the starting point guard v. the eighth player on the basketball roster?  The quarterback v. the punter?  The swimmer v. the gymnast.  Their respective contributions to the university are not the same.  Is their dedication to their respective sports worth more or less to us?

Athletics serve as each university's closest connection to its alumni and fans.  It entertains us, and gives us good cause to return to campus as often as possible.  However, as soon as we start paying players beyond tuition, books, room and board, we'll lose all connection with the athletes.  They will be annual free agents, and their connections to schools will once and for all become strictly business.

Maybe that's what we need.  We could stop pretending that universities are in the business of education.  And the University of Texas would return to the top in most polls - cause they can afford to.

Peace.

husker71

LET EVERYBODY CHEAT!!!  I am not kidding.  If somebody wants to pay players let them do it!!  Don't forget we are basically a 1 horse town (sorry UALR and Arkansas St.) while nearly every other state has to divide their loyalties.  If you compare getting players  to a 3 on 3 basketball tournament  I will take our 3 of  Tysons and Walmart and Stephens   vs anybody

logic

Quote from: golfinpig on February 28, 2018, 06:33:10 pm
Althought I do think athletes should be compensated in some way for all the hours they devote to their sport, you can't discount the 100 thousand dollar education they are getting either. The question is, where is the extra money going to come from. It sure as hell won't come from the billions that the NCAA oligarchs rake in.
What education? Most players don't get an education other than so called officially. 

hogfanny

surprised cal tips his hand. I've got a proposal for him................... PRISON!!!!!

Paul

I was at a Memphis game whenCal was coaching when the mother of a player came in in a full length fur during a time out, yelled at her son in the bench & took her seat in the second row.  And, no, the kid was not from a wealthy or middle class 2 parent family.

rude1

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 28, 2018, 06:52:25 pm
what about all the free promotion, coaching, training, medical care, etc that the athlete gets in addition to the free education, room/board, etc while developing their skills. Are some schools getting a bargain, yes. Are the athletes getting the opportunity of a lifetime, yes (and if they're smart that opportunity can be more than just pro athlete status).
The University's are doing that promotion and providing those services not because they want to help those poor kids, but because by doing those things it fills the stadium on Saturdays and keeps the money rolling in. Those kids are helping creat a lot of adult millionaires, while at the same time being told they shouldn't partake in the fruits.

pigture perfect

Most of his proposals are of the indecent variety.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dumb ole famrboy

How is the NBAPA going to determine the loan value of each individual prospect?

The real Hogules

The athletes choices ought to be simple, go to college,  or go to the NBA. Get an education while honing their skills, or get paid by declaring for the NBA draft. Stop trying to placate a very small percentage of college basketball players and the dirty coaches that feed them illegal benefits.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

20gauge

Also keep in mind it's not just one and dones these schools are paying for.

raz1965

I agree with cal on this, as a matter of fact I posted just a few  days ago that kids should be able to get loans in a free society. It should not be the NCAA's power to stop a loan, a loan is a loan an if your worth a loan then it's fair play. A loan is not payment to play, of course some oversight mist take place as to keep this legit, ever solution can become a problem of unfair use by slime balls.

Dark Helmet Hog

Calipari makes me sick. He is a scumbag and his proposal will fix nothing.

hogfan10

Quote from: rude1 on March 01, 2018, 10:37:47 pm
The University's are doing that promotion and providing those services not because they want to help those poor kids, but because by doing those things it fills the stadium on Saturdays and keeps the money rolling in. Those kids are helping creat a lot of adult millionaires, while at the same time being told they shouldn't partake in the fruits.

But, do the athletes benefit from those services? It does not matter the motive behind those servoces. Some athletes go to college with no intent on being a legitimate student, should the universities exclude them from receiving these services?

rude1

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 02, 2018, 05:30:49 am
The athletes choices ought to be simple, go to college,  or go to the NBA. Get an education while honing their skills, or get paid by declaring for the NBA draft. Stop trying to placate a very small percentage of college basketball players and the dirty coaches that feed them illegal benefits.
You have to understand this is a NBA rule not a college rule, and the NBA put this rule in because too many teams were get burned with bad draft picks of high school players who didn't pan out. This allowed them one season to watch these kids at the college level before drafting them, they aren't likely to go back to a system that was bad for them.

rude1

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 02, 2018, 10:44:28 am
But, do the athletes benefit from those services? It does not matter the motive behind those servoces. Some athletes go to college with no intent on being a legitimate student, should the universities exclude them from receiving these services?
No the question is the benefit equitable to the services rendered? The AD is making usually close to or above a million, the HC are making millions, assistants are making hundreds of thousands, administrators making close to a hundred thousand, and the athletes supplying all this are getting that wonderful education, that will leave most making far less than those who are riding their talents.

k.c.hawg

March 02, 2018, 11:08:09 am #47 Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:23:07 am by k.c.hawg
Quote from: rude1 on March 02, 2018, 11:00:53 am
You have to understand this is a NBA rule not a college rule, and the NBA put this rule in because too many teams were get burned with bad draft picks of high school players who didn't pan out. This allowed them one season to watch these kids at the college level before drafting them, they aren't likely to go back to a system that was bad for them.

They are in the process of changing it right now, it might be the next bargaining agreement, it is just a matter of who wins the battle. The commissioner wants the age changed to 20, the NBAPA wants it to be 18. The fact that every team is going to have a G league team by 20 and they can already have 2 players that can go up and down on a dual contract tells me they are looking for a place to develop and stash 18 year old's without the parent team having to use roster space.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogfan10

Quote from: rude1 on March 02, 2018, 11:05:30 am
No the question is the benefit equitable to the services rendered? The AD is making usually close to or above a million, the HC are making millions, assistants are making hundreds of thousands, administrators making close to a hundred thousand, and the athletes supplying all this are getting that wonderful education, that will leave most making far less than those who are riding their talents.

Welcome to the real world; where people don't always make what they feel as though they deserve. Assembly line workers don't make what executives make, guess who makes the products that are sold. The free education gives athletes a chance (if taken advantage of) to avoid the "assembly line".

rude1

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 02, 2018, 11:22:10 pm
Welcome to the real world; where people don't always make what they feel as though they deserve. Assembly line workers don't make what executives make, guess who makes the products that are sold. The free education gives athletes a chance (if taken advantage of) to avoid the "assembly line".
Then don't be surprised when the kids and families find them away around the rules and still get their payday, this insane way of thinking is what left the door open for the agents and handlers to fill a void. The free education isn't free, if you are giving your blood sweat and tears to help create millionaire coaches and administrators.