Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas is a sleeping GIANT...

Started by BOAR'N LEGACY, December 06, 2017, 11:17:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:44:03 pm
Of the 21 d1 players, how many went to FBS SCHOOLS other than the UofA?

Arkansas - 7 players
Arkansas St. - 2 players
Army - 1 player
Baylor - 1 player
Iowa St. - 1 player
LA Monroe - 1 player
Louisiana Tech - 1 player
Missouri - 2 players
Navy - 2 players
Oklahoma - 1 player
S. Dakota St. - 1 player
Tulane - 1 player

Uncommon

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on December 07, 2017, 03:05:40 pm

Arkansas - 7 players
Arkansas St. - 2 players
Army - 1 player
Baylor - 1 player
Iowa St. - 1 player
LA Monroe - 1 player
Missouri - 2 players
Navy - 2 players
Oklahoma - 1 player
Tulane - 1 player
Yeah...South Dakota State is not an FBS program.  FIFY

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on December 07, 2017, 03:05:40 pm

Arkansas - 7 players
Arkansas St. - 2 players
Army - 1 player
Baylor - 1 player
Iowa St. - 1 player
LA Monroe - 1 player
Missouri - 2 players
Navy - 2 players
Oklahoma - 1 player
S. Dakota St. - 1 player
Tulane - 1 player

And how many did the state lose to other p5 schools looks like 5.  And what positions did those kids play? I know one is a CB ( Norwood )?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 06, 2017, 11:28:45 am
Will Morris be successful? Don’t know if he will but every hire is a gamble. Nutt fielded teams that weren’t loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and neither did Petrino but they were full with high 3 star players instead of middle to low 3 star players and we were very competitive.

Actually Nutt's best run (2001-2003) was built on signing some very highly rated recruits.  His 2001 class included four of the top 80 recruits in the country...Shawn Andrews, Jeb Huckeba, Ahmad Carroll, and De'Arrius Howard.  Also included in that class was another decent player, Matt Jones.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 07, 2017, 03:09:37 pm
Actually Nutt's best run (2001-2003) was built on signing some very highly rated recruits.  His 2001 class included four of the top 80 recruits in the country...Shawn Andrews, Jeb Huckeba, Ahmad Carroll, and De'Arrius Howard.  Also included in that class was another decent player, Matt Jones.

And 3 of those 4 top 80 recruits were in state players. Was that the last time the state had 3 players in the top 80?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PORKULATOR

Sleeping giant?
Well wake her ass up, we have games to win.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:55:10 pm
Mostly Broyles players on that team, and Arkansas had had a good 15 yr run.
You mean they were ALL Broyles' players on the 1977 team. I don't think true freshman played in 1977.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 01:54:53 pm
Where did I say they can't compete? I though they competed in 14, 15, & 16. They took Bama to the wire, they took MSu to the wire when both were ranked #1. They beat LSU twice, once in Baton Rouge. They waged and lost 4 close games to A&M. They dominated TT at Lubbock, they beat TCU in Ft Worth. The beat OM twice when they were in the top 20. They lost to MSu 51-50 in Dax's last season.

I think maybe we are not using "compete" in the same sense. To me compete means to be able to play with, have a chance to beat teams. I think AR has done that more seasons than not. If by compete you mean consistently beat, then no I do not think they can do that without a huge change in recruiting.

Fair enough. I'm not sure we disagree except to the extent I believe the right coach can make Arkansas competitive on a sustained basis. Recruits are right under our nose. They have to want to go to Arkansas. We've been looking in Florida and southern Louisiana and out west and in the midwest where not only do we have to beat teams there for the BEST players, we have to keep them in a city far from home where the only way for family to go to games or visit requires days of driving or expensive, two or three leg flights. It's not that Arkansas is not a great brand with great facilities in a great conference. It's just too far away to be worth the expense and travel for most families in many of the territories Bielema focused on. Yes - Collins and Kirkland and Merrick were big time recruits. I think Anderson got in the way of Merrick and he'll blossom next year. Ramsey was a project who has his moments. But we are not going to beat Florida and Miami or LSU for recruits in their back yard. We are going to take recruits there who Central and South Florida and La Tech are also after. We can't do that anymore. Occassionally we'll get a Darius Philon but those are the calber players we need to take from a distance.

Arkansas doesn't need to take 9 or 10 Arkansas players in most years. 5 or 6 is all Alabama takes in most years in state. That's probably about right for Arkansas on the average. We are going to have to beat other big schools in their backyard for the rest.  It can be done. DFW, Tulsa, Memphis, Shreveport, etc., east Texas, that's where we have to get back to. The numbers and the players are there. We just haven't been getting them.

I think the new players' facilities are going to make a big difference.  Chad Morris comes along at a great time to restore Arkansas to the JFB blueprint. It just makes common sense.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2017, 03:19:39 pm
You mean they were ALL Broyles' players on the 1977 team. I don't think true freshman played in 1977.

Freshman were granted eligibility to play in 1972. But yes, almost all of the 77 team was Broyles players.

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 03:08:22 pm
And how many did the state lose to other p5 schools looks like 5.  And what positions did those kids play? I know one is a CB ( Norwood )?

WOW glass half empty guy!!!  Here is what I see on this!  I think it is great we have talent able to go to other schools due to the fact they were recruited to them.  Are they all great players and are they ranked nationally.  Nope.  Do we have the talent that states like TX, CA, FL do?  Nope and probably wont ever.  What I love to see besides winning games is how our state although doesn't put out the most, is putting out more and that number is going up.  I think our HS teams that have been playing teams from other states and have been competitive is great!!!  I think as our HS kids get better and compete more will only make the Hogs better.  Again I know where our kids are and that we have to recruit out of state but when we have good players we need to make sure we keep them.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on December 07, 2017, 03:30:01 pm
WOW glass half empty guy!!!  Here is what I see on this!  I think it is great we have talent able to go to other schools due to the fact they were recruited to them.  Are they all great players and are they ranked nationally.  Nope.  Do we have the talent that states like TX, CA, FL do?  Nope and probably wont ever.  What I love to see besides winning games is how our state although doesn't put out the most, is putting out more and that number is going up.  I think our HS teams that have been playing teams from other states and have been competitive is great!!!  I think as our HS kids get better and compete more will only make the Hogs better.  Again I know where our kids are and that we have to recruit out of state but when we have good players we need to make sure we keep them.

Losing a kid to South Dakota St is not killing the program.

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 03:35:46 pm
Losing a kid to South Dakota St is not killing the program.

I never said it was.  I said central AR does put out players capable of playing D1 ball.  Never said they put out the best D1 talent in the country, just that they are putting out players and from what I see are getting better every year.  Just because a kid doesn't get a scholarship to AL, LSU, GA, Clemson doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.  AR needs to keep the top talent in our state, not all of it.  We also need to be able to recruit in other markets like, OK, TX, MO, MS, LA, TN. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 03:11:51 pm
And 3 of those 4 top 80 recruits were in state players. Was that the last time the state had 3 players in the top 80?

Decori Birmingham wasn't from Arkansas.  Neither were Jason Peters, Tony Bua, Lawrence Richardson, Ken Hamlin, Fred Talley, Mark Pierce, Eddie Jackson, Marvin Jackson, George Wilson, Richard Smith, Brandon Holmes, and Caleb Miller.

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on December 07, 2017, 03:45:23 pm
I never said it was.  I said central AR does put out players capable of playing D1 ball.  Never said they put out the best D1 talent in the country, just that they are putting out players and from what I see are getting better every year.  Just because a kid doesn't get a scholarship to AL, LSU, GA, Clemson doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.  AR needs to keep the top talent in our state, not all of it.  We also need to be able to recruit in other markets like, OK, TX, MO, MS, LA, TN.

Players from AR playing at some pretty good schools Will Hastings #33 WR for AU. Trey Norwood true freshman CB at OU.  Jacob Clark OSU freshman from Rogers.  Cameron Murray 6'2" 290 lb DT from Bryant also at OSU.  Joshua Frazier 6'4" 315 Senior DL at OU. 

Uncommon

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 07, 2017, 04:00:08 pm
Decori Birmingham wasn't from Arkansas.  Neither were Jason Peters, Tony Bua, Lawrence Richardson, Ken Hamlin, Fred Talley, Mark Pierce, Eddie Jackson, Marvin Jackson, George Wilson, Richard Smith, Brandon Holmes, and Caleb Miller.

You mentioned 4 guys, and said they were in the top 80. I pointed out 3 of the 4 were from in state and asked when was the last time the state had 3 players in the top 80. Your response it to start listing a bunch of out of state players?

Actually, HDN recruited very well until the last class or 2. He left some good players too ( Bequette, DJ Williams, and some linemen ). His problem was the passing game after about 2000.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on December 07, 2017, 04:15:13 pm
Players from AR playing at some pretty good schools Will Hastings #33 WR for AU. Trey Norwood true freshman CB at OU.  Jacob Clark OSU freshman from Rogers.  Cameron Murray 6'2" 290 lb DT from Bryant also at OSU.  Joshua Frazier 6'4" 315 Senior DL at OU. 

Will Hastings got ZERO p5 offers, I think he got ZERO fbs offers. He walked on at Aub as a kicker and when they started running short of WR's they tried him there. It is not like they came in a stole a 5 star on that one.

The funny part of the recruiting situation here is we talk about never letting a player get out of state, yet we rely on other state losing players so we can have a program.

NotRavingNEmore

Bravo on this thread.  Takes a lot of wading through drivel but this info and intelligent debate is worthwhile.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 04:24:28 pm
Will Hastings got ZERO p5 offers, I think he got ZERO fbs offers. He walked on at Aub as a kicker and when they started running short of WR's they tried him there. It is not like they came in a stole a 5 star on that one.

The funny part of the recruiting situation here is we talk about never letting a player get out of state, yet we rely on other state losing players so we can have a program.

Except you know that Arkansas is a one brand state. That's why Broyles' coveted the job. DFW has always fed the university and the football team.

One of your theories is that Arkansas is good only when it produces an abnormally good crop of football players. Keeping those players in state seems to be key to that theory.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.