Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Venables is (probably not) coming to Arkansas

Started by CattleCorn, December 07, 2017, 09:06:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmolar

He also said we will have the best special teams unit in the country.  Come on down Coach Belichick.  Nothing Coach Morris said told them Venables is coming.  I would hope that who he hires he feels is one of the best in the country, if not then why hire him?     

The real Hogules

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 10:26:55 am

Not irritated.  Usually a person will start attempting to sling insults when they get irritated.  A-Hole is my nickname. Ask my wife.  😘

lol
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Smithian

I heard that answer as Chad Morris will make Venables say no.

Have to make the phone call if there is even a fraction of a chance.

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2017, 10:30:14 am
Can't watch. What did he say?

Essentially said "Swinney wouldn't like that," "doesn't wanna disclose names now," "has a shortlist of candidates that he's played against and some that he's admired from afar."

I interpreted it as though he clearly has a list of guys he wants and Venables isn't on that list.

But, then again, coachspeak and all.

OkieBack

Quote from: Smithian on December 07, 2017, 10:36:33 am

Wow. Deja vu. 

Redhogs

Quote from: younghog on December 07, 2017, 09:17:55 am
I hope he has better sense than this..
This..not a nice man from all accounts you read.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hog on Beale

Quote from: CattleCorn on December 07, 2017, 10:31:26 am
He said Swinney wouldn't like it if he stole Venables.  And said he had a short list of candidates, some that he's played against and been around.

Clearly he's referring to the Memphis DC.  I kid.  Hopefully he's referring to DC's he faced while at Clemson and not while at SMU.

TuckFexas81

Quote from: CattleCorn on December 07, 2017, 09:06:44 am
My source is someone on the team.  Coach Morris told the team yesterday, "THE best defensive coordinator in the country is coming here."  Only one person that could be...  ;)

Everybody in the state knows this if they watched his team meeting video.

Hoggish1

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on December 07, 2017, 09:17:54 am
I'm as skeptical as the next person about Venables coming here and wont believe it until it happens. Although I am not going to get my hopes up with this one. Just cant see something so outrageous like this happening. We NEVER get great news like this anyways.

Are you sure you want to say never about this?  that's a very strong word and it lasts forever...

Hog on Beale

I agree.  Hopefully Morris wasn't serious when he said Dabo wouldn't be happy if he hired Venables. You've GOT to offer Venables a ton of money and make him turn it down.  He's clearly had opportunities to be a HC and hasn't went that route yet.  Maybe he wants a new challenge?  Maybe he wants a chance to scheme against SEC offenses?  Who knows.  Obviously it's not likely for him to come, but you'll never know if you don't offer him.     

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:37:12 am
Essentially said "Swinney wouldn't like that," "doesn't wanna disclose names now," "has a shortlist of candidates that he's played against and some that he's admired from afar."

I interpreted it as though he clearly has a list of guys he wants and Venables isn't on that list.

It did sound that way.  But mostly he just seemed really uncomfortable with the question, either because he knows that's a hope and expectation that's going around that he can't meet or because he's working on it and doesn't want to discuss it.

hawkhawg

My source is someone on the team.  Coach Morris told the team yesterday, "THE best defensive coordinator in the country is coming here."  Only one person that could be...  ;)

He is hiring Wade Phillips?

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:37:12 am

I am sure Dabo wouldn't like if Venables left, but i think he was saying Dabo wouldn't like him naming Venables publicly with Clemson being in the playoff hunt (making distractions).

Morris and Dabo are friends to so he is not going to make problems for him while they are on this run especially if he doesn't have to.

Michaelt

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on December 07, 2017, 10:51:09 am
It did sound that way.  But mostly he just seemed really uncomfortable with the question, either because he knows that's a hope and expectation that's going around that he can't meet or because he's working on it and doesn't want to discuss it.

I got that feeling from his answer as well.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Hog Spread

King Kong

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 07, 2017, 10:46:49 am
Bud Foster?

If we are talking about 2 mill for a DC he should be included. Would be an amazing hire

Seriously don't see him coming been at Va Tech forever

Grunt

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:13:09 am
What's he supposed to say? "We're gonna have the 3rd best defensive coordinator in the country!"
He could have said nothing at all about the D.C. so the statement is significant.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

OtterHog

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

VBMark

Dick Lebeau is coming?! He said "best ...in country..." ;-)
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

HogNTX

Quote from: TebowHater on December 07, 2017, 09:14:59 am
Can we delete this thread? The only way - and it's a pipe dream at that - that we get Venables is if we prevent this becoming a distraction to his current team.

If we have a completed staff sans a DC within the next few weeks, it should be clear we are waiting for someone. Venables spoke at length about a previous experience where there were rumors of a coach leaving and his team didn't perform well and said it has disgusted/haunted him ever since. He vowed to never do that to his team moving forward.

Similarly both FOTH and a media member told us explicitly to quit talking about Venables for now and to wait patiently...

Absolutley... delete the thread (but yes thank you Cattle Corn) and keep it quiet... WAIT and see

redeye

I find it interesting that he'd say he would bring the best DC in the country.  He knows Venables better than any of us, but was he talking a out his good friend?  Maybe he's been promised money to grab the best DC he can find?

AHorseWithNoName

"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

searkhogfan

Maybe this high flying offense needs a high flying defense.  And he's hiring Dave Womack to bring the vaunted Land Shark D to Arkansas.    ;D

jkstock04

Quote from: CattleCorn on December 07, 2017, 10:31:26 am
He said Swinney wouldn't like it if he stole Venables. And said he had a short list of candidates, some that he's played against and been around.
That's not what he said. This is exactly how crazy rumors get started. Man o man.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dwight_K_Shrute

While it would be awesome if during his PC he gets asked about his DC and then all of the sudden you hear glass breaking sound effect and Jim Ross says, Oh My Gawd that's Brent Venables music.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Razor1997

At worst, maybe we can bankrupt Clemson like we bankrupted Auburn.

Hogwild

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 07, 2017, 10:46:49 am
Bud Foster?

No Chance, he not leaving VA Tech for Arkansas.  He has turned down better coaches.

hogfan1003

ballz2thewall

December 07, 2017, 11:49:40 am #130 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:23:05 pm by ballz2thewall
wasn't kevin steele at auburn when morris took over as OC? [Edit: at clemson].

thinking out loud.......
The rest of the frog.

gustofwind

Quote from: searkhogfan on December 07, 2017, 09:16:13 am
Coach Morris may consider Todd Graham the best

If that's the case, then we are in serious trouble.  Graham has only had 2 defenses in his career that ranged better than 60.

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 07, 2017, 10:13:09 am
What's he supposed to say? "We're gonna have the 3rd best defensive coordinator in the country!"

We could be so lucky........

The Kig

Quote from: 311Hog on December 07, 2017, 10:52:20 am
Morris and Dabo are friends to so he is not going to make problems for him while they are on this run especially if he doesn't have to.

Exactly why I don't think he would poach his staff.  Both guys know how valuable Venables is to Clemson.  Dabo was realistically his first major shot (sorry Tulsa, you don't count) and I seriously doubt he's gonna show his loyalty that way. 

Same reason I tend to think our new DC could be Graham.  Guy was turning the ship around at AZ ST (finished 2ND in their division this year) and they fired him.  He is supposed to coach in their bowl game, but since he was the first guy to give Morris a college level job, I think he has to be on Morris short list. 

One other thing that may change that...Morris said he wants a guy who has SEC experience,  which wouldn't be either of those guys.  So, go figure.
Poker Porker

311Hog

Quote from: The Kig on December 07, 2017, 12:17:01 pm
Exactly why I don't think he would poach his staff.  Both guys know how valuable Venables is to Clemson.  Dabo was realistically his first major shot (sorry Tulsa, you don't count) and I seriously doubt he's gonna show his loyalty that way. 

Same reason I tend to think our new DC could be Graham.  Guy was turning the ship around at AZ ST (finished 2ND in their division this year) and they fired him.  He is supposed to coach in their bowl game, but since he was the first guy to give Morris a college level job, I think he has to be on Morris short list. 

One other thing that may change that...Morris said he wants a guy who has SEC experience,  which wouldn't be either of those guys.  So, go figure.

i could see this angle, mine was just that he didn't want to distract Venables during the season, but after the season was over sure.

This choice and how it plays out will be defining for sure.  Our defense won't have to be perfect IMHO but much better than it is now.

010HogFan

Quote from: 311Hog on December 07, 2017, 10:52:20 am
I am sure Dabo wouldn't like if Venables left, but i think he was saying Dabo wouldn't like him naming Venables publicly with Clemson being in the playoff hunt (making distractions).

Most reasonable post in the whole thread.

The Kig

Quote from: 311Hog on December 07, 2017, 12:21:58 pm
i could see this angle, mine was just that he didn't want to distract Venables during the season, but after the season was over sure.

This choice and how it plays out will be defining for sure.  Our defense won't have to be perfect IMHO but much better than it is now.

Cautiously state that I don't see any way our defense could be worse, but I said that  at the beginning of each of the last 2 years. 

Still not sure what happened (other than just not having talent) with the Defense the last 3 years.  Historically bad and got worse each year.  Really thought (and still do) that Rhoads was a solid defensive coach.   
Poker Porker

zuko

Through all of this, we were 100 percent wrong on who the AD was going to be and although Morris was in the mix for Coach all along, he was not the favorite pick for that job. So, there will be no further speculation on my part about any choices for the assistants. The only thing I will say is that there would be only one reason Venables would come to Arkansas and that's the challenge and it certainly will
be that. Certainly, he has proven that he is among the best if not the best DC in college football and certainly is a candidate for a DC job in the Pros. That is as far as I will speculate on any future moves made by the Razorbacks football program.

zuko

The word poaching appears when it comes to Venables being mentioned coming to Arkansas. Poaching is part of the game and why not poach if it makes you team better and the Poachee wants to come. In the end, Venables will make his own decision on where to go and Dabo won't have a thing to say about it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: King Kong on December 07, 2017, 11:01:59 am
If we are talking about 2 mill for a DC he should be included. Would be an amazing hire

Seriously don't see him coming been at Va Tech forever
bud foster would be THE homerun hire after BV
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The real Hogules

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 07, 2017, 05:18:04 pm
bud foster would be THE homerun hire after BV

I'd prefer Foster, to Venables, but would faint if either one came walking through that press conference door!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HogKong

Here's the situation and the only real possible way BV would come here. He clearly wants to be a HC at some point when the right opportunity comes around. I can see him possibly wanting to come to Arkansas with CCM in order to watch, learn, and see how/what it's like to go through the rebuilding process and to learn from CCM in doing so since they are good friends and he can then take that experience with him in 1-2 years when that position comes available.

This is the only logical reason I can see him wanting to make the move.....and I would also suggest that if that is the case there is a very good chance he could come.