Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson 17th highest paid college basketball coach in America

Started by rzrbkman, November 15, 2017, 02:28:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

I just heard Bo make that statement on his show. I did not realize that he was that high on the earnings list.

mizzouman

Quote from: rzrbkman on November 15, 2017, 02:28:08 pm
I just heard Bo make that statement on his show. I did not realize that he was that high on the earnings list.

Better start producing some top 17 teams then.

BannerMountainMan

Would've already produced two of them if we hadn't been paired up with UNC. The first two years don't count because the basketball program was in such bad shape and then two years ago you can't help that Portis and Qualls leaves and Anton and Jacorey get in big trouble
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Earning every penny. Should get a raise after this year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawgball40

Quote from: mizzouman on November 15, 2017, 02:40:58 pm
give the man credit, he's built winning programs at every stop, has he not? I get it that it might be personal for you, but surely you enjoyed having good teams under Anderson, no? He also walked into a dumpster fire of a program marred by accusations of racism (mayhaps that affects recruiting a tad?). and he recruits without getting his hands dirty, and because of that last detail its taken longer than all of us would like. But now that we are seeing the vision of his program, I for one am very happy with what I see thus far.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 02:51:13 pm
give the man credit, he's built winning programs at every stop, has he not? I get it that it might be personal for you, but surely you enjoyed having good teams under Anderson, no? He also walked into a dumpster fire of a program marred by accusations of racism (mayhaps that affects recruiting a tad?). and he recruits without getting his hands dirty, and because of that last detail its taken longer than all of us would like. But now that we are seeing the vision of his program, I for one am very happy with what I see thus far.
Rotnei Clarke
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawgball40

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 15, 2017, 02:46:31 pm
Earning every penny. Should get a raise after this year.
Yes he's earning his wages here, i'm not disputing that, but I have to disagree with your assertion he deserves a raise. I say let him get the team ranked, win some big games in non con schedule, make a sweet 16 appearance and land a 5 star recruit, then talk raises. He's got the program on track and i'm grateful, but for the results we've had i think 17th highest paid is a fair deal for him. Its not like we're paying the man peanuts. If he wants more, he needs to deliver a product worthy of more.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 02:55:28 pm
what about him?
He didn't want to play for Anderson. He wouldn't give his reasons either. We all know why, it was a pretty serious issue at that time.

FineAsSwine

With that highly ranked recruiting class behind you, I can see that you have gotten more mouthy. However, we good over here. Worry about your kittens and their coaches salary instead of popping off in here about what our coach is making.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 02:54:53 pm
Yes he's earning his wages here, i'm not disputing that, but I have to disagree with your assertion he deserves a raise. I say let him get the team ranked, win some big games in non con schedule, make a sweet 16 appearance and land a 5 star recruit, then talk raises. He's got the program on track and i'm grateful, but for the results we've had i think 17th highest paid is a fair deal for him. Its not like we're paying the man peanuts. If he wants more, he needs to deliver a product worthy of more.

CMA gets a chance to make some compelling arguments for increasing his compensation if his team performs up to the potential some think it has this year.

Probably a little more of a sense of urgency for coaches in all sports on the hill right now.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawgball40

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 15, 2017, 02:57:10 pm
He didn't want to play for Anderson. He wouldn't give his reasons either. We all know why, it was a pretty serious issue at that time.
I wasn't around on the board at that time or i may have missed it. would you care to clue me in?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 03:10:33 pm
I wasn't around on the board at that time or i may have missed it. would you care to clue me in?
that's why he transferred to Butler his senior season or that would have been another great team because they were lacking a good shooter his first year!!

hawgball40

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 15, 2017, 03:12:47 pm
that's why he transferred to Butler his senior season or that would have been another great team because they were lacking a good shooter his first year!!
oh, was it the rumor he didn't want to compete with the talented freshman. yeah, he probably wouldn't have played much with young and madden who were just bigger and more athletic. is that what you're getting at?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 03:15:33 pm
oh, was it the rumor he didn't want to compete with the talented freshman. yeah, he probably wouldn't have played much with young and madden who were just bigger and more athletic. is that what you're getting at?
probably so, who knows these days.

Letsroll1200

Why does Bo always bring of the salary of Mike Anderson? Where does Bret rank in salary?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 15, 2017, 03:25:22 pm
Why does Bo always bring of the salary of Mike Anderson? Where does Bret rank in salary?

Way too high.
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbkman

Because he 1st mentioned CBB was the 17th highest paid college football coach and Jeff Long was the 8th highest paid athletic director. He was just making comparisons.

factchecker

He brought up the salaries of both....
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Letsroll1200

NWAHog479

We are very high in attendance considering the decline in attendance across college basketball... Profitable as well... Have had some solid seasons, Mike deserves to be a top 20 highest paid coach.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Bo is subtle in his favoritism but it's there.  He's much quicker to criticize MA or say question his job security.  He was all over it when we went .500 two years ago.  I got pissed a few times and called in, basically I said it's an anomaly until it's a trend and one season does not make a trend.  If he would have failed to get back on track last year then yes it would have been a downward trend. 

On the flip side he would make every excuse possible for his buddy BB, produced his little Being Bert Bulimia series. 

Good for MA if he is the 17th highest paid coach.  Would anyone be more or less happy if he were the 35th highest paid coach?  50th?  Factors go into what a program can pay, it's not just wins and losses but prestige of the program, ticket, and merch sales and the value of the program to the university.  It's also signaling to all other coaches out there that could be potential candidates one day that we consider ourselves a top 20 program and pay accordingly.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HawgsPolo

Bo's probably drinking again and he doesn't like MA and it really isn't hard to figure out why.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Dominicanhog

When the Bud is packed and rocking and  we're on Nat TV and ranked, it will look like a bargain, especially viewed through the spectrum of 15 years of wandering in the wilderness..

factchecker

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 15, 2017, 03:54:42 pm
Keep Mike out of the mess of the football program.

I think Mike's done a great job.  The program was in horrible shape when he got here.

There is nothing wrong with bringing up his salary - he might be in line for a raise if he continues the upward trend in recruiting and pushes us further in the tournament.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: NWAHog479 on November 15, 2017, 04:08:06 pm
We are very high in attendance considering the decline in attendance across college basketball... Profitable as well... Have had some solid seasons, Mike deserves to be a top 20 highest paid coach.

For the most part we have great fans:

I'd love to see us break 300k for basketball this season.

The basketball team deserves the support.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

TexHog188

Mike Anderson is a man who has paid his dues in life and in basketball. He has earned my respect as a person and a coach.  His pay is whatever the market dictates, as it should be. If his team makes money for the university, is nationally ranked, and represents the standards of the university, the market will determine whether he will get a raise. As it is, he makes a darn good living coaching basketball, something we all wish we could do.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hogwood

He already has. Believe we were ranked 16th or 17th at the highest in 2014-15. More to come too.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 03:10:33 pm

From what I remember he wanted to transfer to a school that would let him play pg in hopes of making the NBA.

rwspear

rzrbackramsfan

Smithian

Seems appropriate.

Contracts don't equate to win, but I don't want to overpay a coach or underpay him to the point there is a concern he may leave. Neither is a concern for Anderson.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Cinco de Hogo

I like and support CMA but at #17 producing top 20 teams needs to become a trend before we talk serious raises and extensions.  Anderson is fine right where he is, don't go jumping the gun like Long did with BB.  Always remember this is a performance based job no matter what your name is and accountability needs to be a real thing.

And YES it is freaking about WINNING!