Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roster Attrition

Started by Rock City Razorback, November 15, 2017, 09:39:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock City Razorback

Bret said that, "There's probably as many as two, maybe even more guys — not significant guys, not guys that are in the starting lineup, but guys that have maybe been backup players during their career — that could possibly get out of here and might explore that [graduate transfer] option." Also reported that the recruiting class number could climb as to as many as 20. Obviously that could change with new coaches, decommits, commits from coaches previous school (although that doesn't happen as often as you'd think). My question is any guesses on who these players might be? I'll hang up and listen.

ArkanSWAG

Ty Storey is the most likely transfer candidate in my opinion.

lakecityhog

EVERY kid on the roster is significant!!!
Storey might want to stay if he feels like a new coach might view him in a different light. Others might consider leaving for the same reason. If we get a coach that likes a true dual threat QB Kelley might be in trouble.
We could be looking at several roster changes over the next couple of years.

PLHawg

From very good sources TS is gone.

TeufelHog

Which is why it is brutal . . . not good at all to change a coaching staff EVERY 5 YEARS.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PLHawg on November 15, 2017, 09:52:56 am

Probably not even a blip on the radar.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

STLhawg

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 16, 2017, 02:27:31 pm
Which is why it is brutal . . . not good at all to change a coaching staff EVERY 5 YEARS.
Well retaining BB would drag the football program further down so we really don't have a choice.  No use in crying about it...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: STLhawg on November 16, 2017, 02:34:43 pm
Well retaining BB would drag the football program further down so we really don't have a choice.  No use in crying about it...

And it's not like we have a roster of super stars.  Far from it.  Anyone who leaves, and I suspect it will be very few, probably wouldn't have made any measureable difference for us anyway.  I'd be more concerned about getting a HC in here who could salvage the current class, because it doesn't look all that great as it is.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

#1Fan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 16, 2017, 02:30:59 pm
Probably not even a blip on the radar.
"Obviously", he's not a "significant guy".

STLhawg

Overall, I don't think our talent level is so bad.  I believe this coaching staff is ABSOLUTELY clueless on how to utilize and develop what they have.

wpswillriseagain

If we get a HC that wants a mobile QB who's the best we got? Barnes? I want to watch Cole pass for 400 though.

TeufelHog

Quote from: STLhawg on November 16, 2017, 02:34:43 pm

Agreed . . . just the cost of doing business this way in this "fast-food-society" we live in.  Meaning "we want it all and we want it now" society.  Exceptions to the rule are few and far between with respect to a fan-base.  That's why I think the VaTech/Beamer example is so incredible, downright uncomprehenable in this day and age.  "Patient," as a descriptor, doesn't begin to give that fan-base enough credit.  May have just been a straight-forward/long-term financial decision on the part of the school/athletic department . . . fan-base be d@#ned.

Hogwarrior

So when a program is failing, when would you suggest a change?  I think there will be quit a few kids whose status with the program will change.  That's just the way it is when a new coach comes in.  Expect to see as many as 15-20 change zip codes in the next 2 years.

jgphillips3

You are correct.  We should be more like Bama, Florida and them and not wait so long to fire coaches...but we try to give them a fair shake. ;)

NoogaHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 15, 2017, 09:52:23 am
Storey might want to stay if he feels like a new coach might view him in a different light. Others might consider leaving for the same reason. If we get a coach that likes a true dual threat QB Kelley might be in trouble.

Yeah the "significant" line is kinda tone deaf. I'm sure he would like to have a mulligan on saying that.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

The Boar War

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 16, 2017, 02:47:45 pm
Agreed . . . just the cost of doing business this way in this "fast-food-society" we live in.  Meaning "we want it all and we want it now" society.  Exceptions to the rule are few and far between with respect to a fan-base.  That's why I think the VaTech/Beamer example is so incredible, downright uncomprehenable in this day and age.  "Patient," as a descriptor, doesn't begin to give that fan-base enough credit.  May have just been a straight-forward/long-term financial decision on the part of the school/athletic department . . . fan-base be d@#ned.

Except that it really wasn't in this day and age when he had losing seasons.  His last was in 1992. 

I think we'd be content with a coach who was 238-121.

The Boar War

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 15, 2017, 09:52:23 am

It's all right we wont be losing any significant head coaches this year either.

ChicoHog

There may be some other guys who are redshirt juniors, graduating in December or May, and want to play one more year after a different program like Damon Mitchell did last year. 

DeltaBoy

Not when we Not Winning!  I  tired of Losing!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: The Boar War on November 17, 2017, 05:01:20 pm
It's all right we wont be losing any significant head coaches this year either.

Might be quote of the day.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

gangstaback

Going to the spread and option offense from a run offense and pro style offense like the GUS BUSSERS are suggesting will cause dramatic attrition.

If we bring in a coach that can somewhat use the same skills then the coaching change should not be that big of an issue with the current roster as much as with the recruiting class.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

We only have 2 4-star commits...

aloha_kid

Yep. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: gangstaback on November 17, 2017, 10:45:09 pm
Going to the spread and option offense from a run offense and pro style offense like the GUS BUSSERS are suggesting will cause dramatic attrition.

If we bring in a coach that can somewhat use the same skills then the coaching change should not be that big of an issue with the current roster as much as with the recruiting class.

If we don't bring in a pro-style guy, we're looking at 3 more years to recruit for spread offense.

BILLYBOB

The mistake you're making is pushing the principles of patience, loyalty, and longevity...those are all wonderful and holy things. But you're ignoring the principles of competency and excellence.  After 5 years, by any objective measure, CBB is failing. He's a good man and it would be great if he were our coach for 25 years...but he is simply not competent and he not delivering excellence. Nothing wrong with Hog fans. Things are happening as they should. If we find a frank beemer or a Tom Osborne or a nick Saban, we'll keep them forever.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Hou-Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on November 17, 2017, 04:50:10 pm
Yeah the "significant" line is kinda tone deaf. I'm sure he would like to have a mulligan on saying that.
Every person is significant.  Now that that is out of the way.  You know what he meant and his point is correct.  If you have been in the program for 3 years are you are no where near playing you should look at other options.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 18, 2017, 01:57:16 am
If we don't bring in a pro-style guy, we're looking at 3 more years to recruit for spread offense.

I'm not so sure about that. The main thing we would need if we went to more of a spread type of RPO Offense is the trigger man. There will certainly be more skilled players recruited as a coach brings in "his guys", but we have enough players to get started. Defense will certainly have to be a focus, though I think that we may have more talent there than we realize, it is just young. This won't have to be a complete overhaul. Many of the guys on the team came from Spread-type Offenses in HS.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 18, 2017, 01:57:16 am

Sorry, but absolutely inaccurate.  The roster is full of players that ran nothing but the spread since they were 8 years old.  Issues with evaluation of talent and player development are are largely due to the fact that players have been cherry picked from high schools that run the spread and the the hope was they could be changed to the old school pro system.  Muskogee is absolutely right.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

atom hog

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 18, 2017, 02:46:15 am
The mistake you're making is pushing the principles of patience, loyalty, and longevity...those are all wonderful and holy things. But you're ignoring the principles of competency and excellence.  After 5 years, by any objective measure, CBB is failing. He's a good man and it would be great if he were our coach for 25 years...but he is simply not competent and he not delivering excellence. Nothing wrong with Hog fans. Things are happening as they should. If we find a frank beemer or a Tom Osborne or a nick Saban, we'll keep them forever.
^^^^
THIS!!! Competence and excellence should be first priorities. This team does not practice excellence. However they do parrot their coach's excuse making. I know they are using corporate communication techniques, but they don't know any better to be insulted by the message crafted to pitch at the fan base. I don't see anything on tape that isn't correctable.

b-ball coach

TS and WG are 2 that we will probably lose. Maybe TJH from what I've heard as well. You can't blame any young man who is a competitor and wants to play for looking for other opportunities.

jgphillips3

Quote from: b-ball coach on November 18, 2017, 08:20:55 am
TS and WG are 2 that we will probably lose. Maybe TJH from what I've heard as well. You can't blame any young man who is a competitor and wants to play for looking for other opportunities.

TJH doesn't need to go anywhere.  The next coach, if he is any of the 6 or 7 most mentioned or, hell, just not incompetent, will feed him the ball next year.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: gangstaback on November 17, 2017, 10:45:09 pm

No matter who the new coach is, he won't be running a pro set.  I watch a lot of CFB and I'm telling you there aren't many teams out there not running some variation of a spread.  That's the trend in HS and it's being done more so in the NFL.

Now, think about it:  look at all the talented receivers we will have next season:  Nance, Martin, Jones, Pettway, JRed, K. Jackson and then throw in the athletic TEs!  Now throw in Whaley, Hammonds, and Hayden at RB with natural running lanes due to the field already being spread from formation alone!  Dude, this team is going to light the scoreboard up!

Rayzback

After waiting 5 year just to be seated, it's hard to enjoy having spent $20M+ on what is surely one the worst things anyone can eat outside of fast-food.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

gangstaback

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 09:05:58 am
No matter who the new coach is, he won't be running a pro set.  I watch a lot of CFB and I'm telling you there aren't many teams out there not running some variation of a spread.  That's the trend in HS and it's being done more so in the NFL.

Now, think about it:  look at all the talented receivers we will have next season:  Nance, Martin, Jones, Pettway, JRed, K. Jackson and then throw in the athletic TEs!  Now throw in Whaley, Hammonds, and Hayden at RB with natural running lanes due to the field already being spread from formation alone!  Dude, this team is going to light the scoreboard up!

The schedule next year is one of the softest ever, less than 7 wins would be catastrophic. We could run any offense and have those wins with some sort of competent leadership.

What happens if you don't have a QB who can lead the spread offense? Because we currently haven't shown signs of having one.

Do you still think that can happen over 1 season?

Hogwarrior

Quote from: gangstaback on November 18, 2017, 04:07:03 pm
The schedule next year is one of the softest ever, less than 7 wins would be catastrophic. We could run any offense and have those wins with some sort of competent leadership.

What happens if you don't have a QB who can lead the spread offense? Because we currently haven't shown signs of having one.

Do you still think that can happen over 1 season?

Yup!  Don't need a QB that can rip off 80 yd runs.  Just need one with good precision.  CK can get you 5-15 on plays that break down.  That's the myth about the spread, running QBs.  It's all timing and accuracy.  I'm not worried about the O next season.  Just too many weapons!

Hogwarrior

Lol!  A new coach, new system?  I'd take a regular season 7-5 all day!  He'd only be 1 win away in the 1st year than BB had in 5 years as a best season.

NotSoFastMyFriend

If Ty hasn't beat out AA and CK what makes us think he will beat out CN or GB?

Oklahawg

Depends on the coach, too. Certain systems might be attractive to some of these guys. And, more critical, if recruited by the next coach they may want to stick around and give it a shot this spring.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SooieGeneris

So yeah, let's find an incompetent HC and let him go down to the bus station and round up a few assistants and give them all life time contracts for the sake of stability.

But wait, we already have an incompetent HC and a number of questionable assistants, so let's go all in with the Titanic crew 'cause the next 'un might be worse..

How much worse could it get than 4-9 in the last calendar year with a lucky win over OM being the only one over a Power 5 opponent?

We were lucky to beat Coastal Carolina and did so only after TJ Hammonds was finally given a chance, kind of. This disaster should be 2-9, 2-11 in the last calendar year.

Ray Charles could see Butter Bean has lost this team!
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

Enough of this "fast food" or "microwave" crap! It's the man's 5th year, not his first or 2nd!

Things got a little better at a snail's pace until last season. I was okay with that as it did seem like we were improving, albeit very slowly.

Then we hit the iceberg last Black Friday and instead of bailing or heading to the nearest lifeboat, some still want us all to go down with the ship.

The Good Ship Lolly-Bert is sinking fast, if something isn't done after this Black Friday, it might get a little better in 2018, but we will have blown an opportunity to right the ship at least.

Then, we will be having this same discussion next season as we're sitting with a 5-5 or 6-4 record at best, maybe another implosion like this season.

Fans who know good football when they see it are sick of lollygagging with 2:00 or less in the first half with an ok lead that needs to get bigger and watching us just run out the time, and take 2 TOs to the locker room that can't be carried over into the 2nd half.

The watch the drip, drip, drip of the opponent scoring on their first possession of the 2nd half cutting into the lead and then blow the lead we had late in the game.

This guy has not learned, he keeps making the same bonehead decisions over and over. The players have caught on to it, opponents caught on long ago.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity!
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

STLhawg

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 18, 2017, 02:46:15 am
...but he is simply not competent and he not delivering excellence.
Heck, BB isn't even delivering mediocrity!!!  He is such a pathetic excuse for a head coach.

hobhog

Quote from: PLHawg on November 15, 2017, 09:52:56 am

"Very good sources". Name one. Or initials. Or the "sources" favorite color.

I heard they said so.

STLhawg

Jalen Merrick is one I could see transferring too.  It seems like he hasn't gotten a fair shake here.