Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think a Big 12 switch may be

Started by BoarnSupremacy, October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 07:58:57 pm
"Man, I'm so disappointed we went 10-3 in the Big 12 this year. It just doesn't mean as much as finishing 7-6 in the SEC."

I was more making fun of that commercial, it just means more.  But I also don't think a 10-3 big ten team is equal to a 7-6 sec school either. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:15:44 pm
Well, The vast majority of them come from SEC states. Not a lot of California or Ohio kids saying that.  They also are always going to the same damn programs.  Arkansas isn't or ever has really benefited from being in the SEC. As far as recruiting wise.

OK...we can agree to disagree on this.  You put Arkansas in the sunbelt and there's no reason for kids to come to the UA versus ASU, Memphis, or UCA.  As it is right now, if the UA is on an Arkansas kid, they aren't going to another Arkansas school.  Are you saying that's NOT an advantage?  Take away the money, and put us in the Sunbelt, and see what happens. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:20:15 pm
But I argued that SC beat Bama, and we just saw LSU get beat by Troy.  Not parity...flukes.  What I think is funny is that you're naming mid-lower tier KY.  Where does that put us exactly?  We've beaten LSU several times...recently.  Bama has our number, because they are so strong across the board with no weaknesses, but other than that, since 2010 we've shown we can beat anyone in the conference...at least occasionally.   ;)

At this juncture, we're also mid-low tier. I would personally rather compete with the teams in the Big 12 every year than teams in the SEC.

I don't give a darn about money or "competition" or whatever else people wanna spin as "loser" mentality. If believing we'd have a chance at winning more games in a P5 conference is a "loser" mentality, so be it. Hard to argue "loser" mentality if you're winning more games.

RME

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 11, 2017, 08:21:19 pm
I was more making fun of that commercial, it just means more.  But I also don't think a 10-3 big ten team is equal to a 7-6 sec school either.

Ha, my bad. That one flew way over my head, I forgot about that dumb commercial.

David†

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:19:06 pm
That is a false narrative. In the world of modern college sports. It doesn't matter. All that matters is being in a P5 conference and having a winning record.

So Arkansas can't have a winning record in the SEC?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:19:06 pm
That is a false narrative. In the world of modern college sports. It doesn't matter. All that matters is being in a P5 conference and having a winning record.

False narrative? What?  Matters until what?  You win the panty-waste conference title, are undefeated, and then get your head caved in by Bama or Clemson in the playoff?

So we want to be in a power 5 conference, just not one that's too powerful, so we can win more games.  Yep, makes perfect sense to me.   :puke: 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:22:42 pm
At this juncture, we're also mid-low tier. I would personally rather compete with the teams in the Big 12 every year than teams in the SEC.

I don't give a darn about money or "competition" or whatever else people wanna spin as "loser" mentality. If believing we'd have a chance at winning more games in a P5 conference is a "loser" mentality, so be it. Hard to argue "loser" mentality if you're winning more games.

No wonder Mallet is riding the bench with that attitude.   :D

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:24:42 pm
False narrative? What?  Matters until what?  You win the panty-waste conference title, are undefeated, and then get your head caved in by Bama or Clemson in the playoff?

So we want to be in a power 5 conference, just not one that's too powerful, so we can win more games.  Yep, makes perfect sense to me.   :puke:

Would you rather get your head caved in by Alabama in the regular season and not even make the playoff, or make the [CENSORED]' CFB playoff and then have your head caved in?

Call me crazy, but I'd take my shot of making the playoffs.

David†

It's too hard, we have to earn our wins. Boo freaking hoo

HawgPound

Wow. Never thought I would see the day Hog fans would want to crawl back into a conference ran by Texas. A conference that is on the verge of collapse at the hands of Texas. Sad.

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:26:35 pm
Would you rather get your head caved in by Alabama in the regular season and not even make the playoff, or make the [CENSORED]' CFB playoff and then have your head caved in?

What good is making the playoffs if you get your head caved in by the conference.? Doesn't make any sense.

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:27:37 pm
What good is making the playoffs if you get your head caved in by the conference.?

You think we'd get our head caved in by the Big 12 more than the SEC?

David†

Quote from: HawgPound on October 11, 2017, 08:27:25 pm
Wow. Never thought I would see the day Hog fans would want to crawl back into a conference ran by Texas. A conference that is on the verge of collapse at the hands of Texas. Sad.

So sad.

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:28:05 pm
You think we'd get our head caved in by the Big 12 more than the SEC?

Get better. Earn it. We've shown we can.

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:29:37 pm
Get better. Earn it. We've shown we can.

Lol. Even in some of our best years we still finished 2nd and 3rd in our own division.

Some of y'all are actually satisfied with going 7-6 because bah gawd WE'RE IN THE SEC!

Give me 10-3 in Big 12. Y'all are telling me that wanting more WINS is a LOSER mentality. What?

Hawghiggs

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:30:55 pm
Lol. Even in some of our best years we still finished 2nd and 3rd in our own division.

Some of y'all are actually satisfied with going 7-6 because bah gawd WE'RE IN THE SEC!

Give me 10-3 in Big 12. Y'all are telling me that wanting more WINS is a LOSER mentality. What?

It's kind of a chickensh*t mentality more so than a losers

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:35:09 pm
It's kind of a chickensh*t mentality more so than a losers

If chickenshit mentality is to get the Arkansas Razorbacks more wins while remaining in a P5 conference, I'm the biggest chickenshit of them all.

Hear that, Hogville? Wanting more wins for my alma mater makes me a chickenshit.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:26:35 pm

You've completely missed the point.  If you DROP down to a lower conference, then EVERYTHING will drop with it.  That's human nature.  We won't move to the Big 12 and suddenly be world beaters.  What do you think we're going to somehow field a team that's 2010 and 2011 caliber, because that's the teams that would be required to go through the Big 12 undefeated. 

I'm guessing that you're thinking..."If we're even competitive at all in the SEC, then we could do much better in the Big 12 right?"   

The flawed logic in that is that we would lose the advantage of playing the best after the first season, and we would be right there with the Texas Tech's of the conference, but now competing for recruits without the benefits of being in the best conference. 

Again...why stop there?  Why not drop back further to the Sunbelt so that our facilities would dwarf everyone else's, and we could beat up on everyone there?  I'll tell you why...because we couldn't compete with recruits any longer, and we would drop right back to their level after a few seasons. 

OK...I'm done arguing this.  We're not leaving the SEC UNLESS there is at least an equally lucrative and stable conference that would be a lateral move...at a minimum.  Won't happen. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:24:42 pm

It didn't seem to bother Clemson or Ohio state that they weren't in the SEC. The world of college football has changed. All that really matter now is making the playoffs. The days of the SEC getting two teams into the championship game are over.

shown006

No one really thought it was a good idea to go to the Big 12 until recently.  Certainly, not during the Petrino era...or even the Nutt era.
WPS!

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:37:25 pm
You've completely missed the point.  If you DROP down to a lower conference, then EVERYTHING will drop with it. That's human nature.  We won't move to the Big 12 and suddenly be world beaters.  What do you think we're going to somehow field a team that's 2010 and 2011 caliber, because that's the teams that would be required to go through the Big 12 undefeated. 

I'm guessing that you're thinking..."If we're even competitive at all in the SEC, then we could do much better in the Big 12 right?"   

The flawed logic in that is that we would lose the advantage of playing the best after the first season, and we would be right there with the Texas Tech's of the conference, but now competing for recruits without the benefits of being in the best conference. 

Again...why stop there?  Why not drop back further to the Sunbelt so that our facilities would dwarf everyone else's, and we could beat up on everyone there?  I'll tell you why...because we couldn't compete with recruits any longer, and we would drop right back to their level after a few seasons. 

OK...I'm done arguing this.  We're not leaving the SEC UNLESS there is at least an equally lucrative and stable conference that would be a lateral move...at a minimum.  Won't happen.

Based on what? That is 100000% an opinion you're trying to pass as a fact. You have no tangible, factual way to prove we would be worse off in terms of football WINS in the Big 12. Just like I have no tangible, factual way to prove we'd be better solely in terms of football wins.

Like I said, I'll just take my chances against those teams every year than I would against SEC teams every year.

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:40:14 pm
Based on what? That is 100000% an opinion you're trying to pass as a fact. You have no tangible, factual way to prove we would be worse off in terms of football WINS in the Big 12. Just like I have no tangible, factual way to prove we'd be better solely in terms of football wins.

Like I said, I'll just take my chances against those teams every year than I would against SEC teams every year.

Nvm. I have reading comprehension issues

TeufelHog

Just IDIOTIC.  If that's your reasoning, why not just move down a whole level to FCS.  Bunch of quitters . . .

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:36:30 pm
If chickenshit mentality is to get the Arkansas Razorbacks more wins while remaining in a P5 conference, I'm the biggest chickenshit of them all.

Hear that, Hogville? Wanting more wins for my alma mater makes me a chickenshit.

If we hadn't shown we could compete in the SEC, and we weren't competitive at all, then I could see you point.  If you're badly outclassed and non-competitive, then it's time to re-evaluate.  But...that's not the case, as we have seen. 

What would happen this year, for example?  Would we be beating anyone in the Big 12?  You said yourself that Iowa State beat OU, so there's parity right?  We lost to TCU, so doesn't that tell you that THIS SEASON, we would probably end up mid-pack?  What would that do for recruiting?  Nothing. 

RME

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:43:32 pm
If we hadn't shown we could compete in the SEC, and we weren't competitive at all, then I could see you point.  If you're badly outclassed and non-competitive, then it's time to re-evaluate.  But...that's not the case, as we have seen. 

What would happen this year, for example?  Would we be beating anyone in the Big 12?  You said yourself that Iowa State beat OU, so there's parity right?  We lost to TCU, so doesn't that tell you that THIS SEASON, we would probably end up mid-pack?  What would that do for recruiting?  Nothing.

We're in year 5 of our current administration. Is our recruiting panning out to be all that fantastic over that time? I mean, we're in the SEC so SURELY it is right? ...right?

Not from what I'm seeing.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:37:47 pm
It didn't seem to bother Clemson or Ohio state that they weren't in the SEC. The world of college football has changed. All that really matter now is making the playoffs. The days of the SEC getting two teams into the championship game are over.

OK...so your argument is that year in and year out, the Big 12 conference winner will be in the playoff right?  Hmm...you better go back just a few years and see if that's working out very well or not. 

And second....if the SEC has two teams that have beaten out of conference foes like a ranked Oregon team and Michigan...for example, and gone through the SEC...then yes, there is a possibility that two could still make it in.  It happened ONCE, and to say it will never happen again isn't really stretching it that much, but it's not impossible. 

RME

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 11, 2017, 08:42:52 pm
Just IDIOTIC.  If that's your reasoning, why not just move down a whole level to FCS.  Bunch of quitters . . .

Simple. FCS teams can't play for a D1 CFB championship. Any more brain busters?

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:45:01 pm
We're in year 5 of our current administration. Is our recruiting panning out to be all that fantastic over that time? I mean, we're in the SEC so SURELY it is right? ...right?

That's coaching. Not conference

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:47:50 pm
That's coaching. Not conference

Is it? Bielema JUST said they're having trouble with the offensive line because you can only coach what your personnel gives you.

We finish what, 10th-11th in the SEC in recruiting year in and year out? That really helps.

David†

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:49:35 pm
Is it? Bielema JUST said they're having trouble with the offensive line because you can only coach what your personnel gives you.

Right and the coaches recruited those players. Recruiting is part of it in college football, it's done by the coaching staff.

RME

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:51:46 pm
Right and the coaches recruited those players. Recruiting is part of it in college football, it's done by the coaching staff.

You mean the coaches couldn't get the best of the best just because we play in the SEC? Huh.

Ben

A lot of people on here would rather be the mediocre red head step child riding the coattails of other teams than possibly be even better in another P5 conference that we geographically and historically fit better in. TCU was winning BCS bowls in the MWC. They come to the big 12 and still are pretty dominant. freakin Baylor has a couple Big 12 titles and 2 BCS bowl appearances. WVU just went 10-2 last year. You think their fanbases have been as miserable as ours lately? Lol even Ok St and Kstate and TAMU has won a conf title and have been to BCS bowl games.

If you think having a 3-5 average conference record the past 25 years makes us winners, then don't complain when we are still getting beat down and never seeing a SEC title.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

David†

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:45:01 pm

Man, you're really downtrodden aren't you?  We're landing somewhere from 25-30th typically, and I would argue that with more stature, it would probably bump us up a few spots...but that's conjecture.  It could also be argued that with as much fail as we've had lately with recruits on the bench with walk-ons playing in front of them, those numbers are slanted the other direction...but I digress. 

Again...drop down to the Big 12, and recruiting would drop lower.  That's how those things work. 

"You know, I'm good enough to go play at an SEC team....Ole Miss, and I've got a letter from them.  But you know...I don't think I'll go there.  I'd rather go play for Arkansas and beat up on KS, Iowa State, and Baylor and have the NFL scouts wonder if I'm really able to play at the highest level in CFB or not." 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:46:32 pm
OK...so your argument is that year in and year out, the Big 12 conference winner will be in the playoff right?  Hmm...you better go back just a few years and see if that's working out very well or not. 

And second....if the SEC has two teams that have beaten out of conference foes like a ranked Oregon team and Michigan...for example, and gone through the SEC...then yes, there is a possibility that two could still make it in.  It happened ONCE, and to say it will never happen again isn't really stretching it that much, but it's not impossible. 

Didn't say that about the Big 12. What I said was that the world of college football has changed and it really is set up to only have 1 team from each conference in the playoff. That's what the committee is really all about.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:49:35 pm

We finish what, 10th-11th in the SEC in recruiting year in and year out? That really helps.

Where do you think we would finish in the Big 12 in recruiting? 

factchecker

Knowing our luck, Texas would take our spot in the SEC.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: Ben on October 11, 2017, 08:53:10 pm
A lot of people on here would rather be the mediocre red head step child riding the coattails of other teams than possibly be even better in another P5 conference that we geographically and historically fit better in. TCU was winning BCS bowls in the MWC. They come to the big 12 and still are pretty dominant. freakin Baylor has a couple Big 12 titles and 2 BCS bowl appearances. WVU just went 10-2 last year. You think their fanbases have been as miserable as ours lately? Lol even Ok St and Kstate and TAMU has won a conf title and have been to BCS bowl games.

If you think having a 3-5 average conference record the past 25 years makes us winners, then don't complain when we are still getting beat down and never seeing a SEC title.

Thank you.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:54:40 pm

Not 10th or 11th.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:53:53 pm
Man, you're really downtrodden aren't you?  We're landing somewhere from 25-30th typically, and I would argue that with more stature, it would probably bump us up a few spots...but that's conjecture.  It could also be argued that with as much fail as we've had lately with recruits on the bench with walk-ons playing in front of them, those numbers are slanted the other direction...but I digress. 

Again...drop down to the Big 12, and recruiting would drop lower.  That's how those things work. 

"You know, I'm good enough to go play at an SEC team....Ole Miss, and I've got a letter from them.  But you know...I don't think I'll go there.  I'd rather go play for Arkansas and beat up on KS, Iowa State, and Baylor and have the NFL scouts wonder if I'm really able to play at the highest level in CFB or not."

You don't know recruiting would drop lower. What if we won more games? Would recruiting really drop lower if we added 2-3 wins per year? Nah.

NFL scouts will find you no matter where you play. Plenty of SEC busts and plenty of FCS studs in the NFL.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I dont think UA can have sustained succes in the SEC.  We will have some peaks but more valleys.  Think about it we average like around 30 in the nation in recruiting which is still close to the bottom in the SEC.  I think we would have better but similar results in the big 12.  We arent playing Rice and the old TCU.  Curious who they would bring in with us?  If we were in the sunbelt we would be a top team in that conference, our facilities are probably 20 times better than the rest.  We would have our pick of the very best 3* that didnt get offered by bigger schools and our coach would probably get plucked when we had any success.

factchecker

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:54:40 pm

Our average recruiting class is anywhere from 25-30.

You put our recruiting ranking in the BIG 12 or almost any other conference and we are either in the middle or towards the top not the bottom:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

David†

I bet if we hired Gus, moved to the big12 and played half our home games in WMS  we would be the next Bama.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on October 11, 2017, 08:58:22 pm
Our average recruiting class is anywhere from 25-30.

You put our recruiting ranking in the BIG 12 or almost any other conference and we are either in the middle or towards the top not the bottom:

Good info.

Also lol'ed at your quip about with our luck, Texas taking our spot, hah.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:54:25 pm
Didn't say that about the Big 12. What I said was that the world of college football has changed and it really is set up to only have 1 team from each conference in the playoff. That's what the committee is really all about.

So power 5, but four spots.  So snubville for one conference right?  Hmmm...from what conference was the most notable snub? 

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:59:44 pm
So power 5, but four spots.  So snubville for one conference right?  Hmmm...from what conference was the most notable snub?

That's a year-by-year basis. If the winner of the PAC12 has 3 losses and the winner of the Big 12 has 1, who do you think they're taking?

Ben

The funny thing is
2007 LSU has Missouri to thank for losing in the Big 12 title or they never would have been in the championship.
2011 Alabama has to thank Oklahoma St for losing to Iowa St late or they never make the national title game
2012 Alabama has Kstate to thank for losing to Baylor and losing their #1 spot with Notre Dame behind them.

You can hype up the SEC, but some of the title teams that won during the streak won because there was a Big 12 team at #1 or #2 controlling their destiny and lost.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

GoldCoastHog

Great ! And while we're at it, let's allow girls in the BOY scouts. Wait!  That's already happening.

Jesus, I'm beginning to think the number on here that squat to piss is growing. My outlook on the future generation is dropping by the day. The sad part is, i only have my generation to blame for this sh*tshow, God help us all!