Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A theory I see happening, Long, and buyout.

Started by depressed_fan, September 23, 2017, 08:47:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

depressed_fan

First, I don't think we should direct 100% blame at Jeff Long b/c most likely the Board of Trustee's had to approve the buy out.  It may have been someone over Long who ultimately approved that and maybe even recommended it.

Second, I think Jeff Long's seat is hotter than Bret's. Jeff Long is cheaper to get rid of.  I read an article that speculated his forecast of financials for the stadium expansion situation is grossly inaccurate.

Jeff Long getting fired doesn't effect what happens on the football field this year or next. But, if donations and attendance starts to drop over bad football, BOT may think they can restore fan faith by firing Long first. Sort of like Nebraska did their AD this week.  AT that point it will be obvious to everyone for the sake of the BOT, that Beliema is next, just a matter of time. But it buys them time for Beliema's buyout to shrink.

Another thing to consider is, if Long is fired out of the blue, that could encourage Beliema to look for work elsewhere.  I would imagine that Beliema is miserable in his job because he's failing and he knows it's only going to get worse.  There's some jobs that for some people aren't worth doing no matter the pay. They can always negotiate an early exit for him.  If everything is going so well at home with the family, he may realize he don't want the stress of being an SEC coach. Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Urban Meyer, all seemed relieved and content when they left their SEC posts.

root_hawg

nwahogfan1

We wish BB would leave and save us the buy out but would you?  Where would he go with this record?  Especially for $4 million a year.

DeltaBoy

Fire Jeff before the Sun sets tomorrow and tell Bret fish or cut bait!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HardCore

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 23, 2017, 08:53:05 pm
We wish BB would leave and save us the buy out but would you?  Where would he go with this record?  Especially for $4 million a year.

No, but I would like to see if he would consider a straight $8-9MM payout as opposed to the $15MM or $11MM annuity after the first of the year.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

WorfHog

If he finds another job it might not be the last multimullion dollar deal he ever inks. IF we fire him and he collects he'll be out of head coaching for several year of what should be his prime earning period.

depressed_fan

I think most people just want to be happy in their profession. Money doesn't ultimately  make people happy in their profession. I don't think he's happy right now.  Today wasn't the first time he started weeping on the podium.  That might have just been a soap opera act. And if it was, then probably he wants to stay as long as he can for the money.

bondhue

Quote from: depressed_fan on September 23, 2017, 08:47:10 pm
First, I don't think we should direct 100% blame at Jeff Long b/c most likely the Board of Trustee's had to approve the buy out.  It may have been someone over Long who ultimately approved that and maybe even recommended it.

Second, I think Jeff Long's seat is hotter than Bret's. Jeff Long is cheaper to get rid of.  I read an article that speculated his forecast of financials for the stadium expansion situation is grossly inaccurate.

Jeff Long getting fired doesn't effect what happens on the football field this year or next. But, if donations and attendance starts to drop over bad football, BOT may think they can restore fan faith by firing Long first. Sort of like Nebraska did their AD this week.  AT that point it will be obvious to everyone for the sake of the BOT, that Beliema is next, just a matter of time. But it buys them time for Beliema's buyout to shrink.

Another thing to consider is, if Long is fired out of the blue, that could encourage Beliema to look for work elsewhere.  I would imagine that Beliema is miserable in his job because he's failing and he knows it's only going to get worse.  There's some jobs that for some people aren't worth doing no matter the pay. They can always negotiate an early exit for him.  If everything is going so well at home with the family, he may realize he don't want the stress of being an SEC coach. Miles, Richt, Spurrier, Urban Meyer, all seemed relieved and content when they left their SEC posts.
I imagine Bielema is ready to get out.  Most of us will never make $4 million a year.  However, most of us will never have the eyes of a whole state on us.  Every day he has to go to work, thinking how do I turn this around?  He thinks he is getting no breaks on the field.  He thinks his coordinators aren't helping him like they should. 

He has taken some of the positive recommendations from fans.  He was clearly more emotionally involved with players today.   But the ship has not been righted, and the narrative is not as positive as it was two-three years ago.  Recruiting is getting harder as the losses pile up.  The future is getting more cloudy, and his career as a head coach at a power 5 school is looking less certain by the week.  He is showing the stress at the press conferences. 

At some point he has to ask himself, is this job at Arkansas worth the toll it is taking on me?  Can I walk away with my future intact, and live to coach another day?  Would one year's pay be enough to see me through a year or two of rehab, then on to another job that will get my career trajectory going in the right direction?  I badly miscalculated on this job.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WorfHog on September 23, 2017, 09:01:41 pm
If he finds another job it might not be the last multimullion dollar deal he ever inks. IF we fire him and he collects he'll be out of head coaching for several year of what should be his prime earning period.

I think he'll get hired again. Plenty of HCing jobs out there.

Razor1997

Let's just all learn to love losing!  I hear that now that there are 40-something bowl games, you can still get to a bowl with a 5-7 record, as long as you have INTEGRITY.  Here's to pulling just one upset along the way for that 5-7 finish and a bowl berth!  I was hoping A&M would have been that upset, but I guess we'll have to pull off a more difficult one.

farmhawg

Maybe he can write a few more letters....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 23, 2017, 09:13:01 pm
You love him so I am sure you think that.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

depressed_fan

Quote from: bondhue on September 23, 2017, 09:08:15 pm
I imagine Bielema is ready to get out.  Most of us will never make $4 million a year.  However, most of us will never have the eyes of a whole state on us.  Every day he has to go to work, thinking how do I turn this around?  He thinks he is getting no breaks on the field.  He thinks his coordinators aren't helping him like they should. 

He has taken some of the positive recommendations from fans.  He was clearly more emotionally involved with players today.   But the ship has not been righted, and the narrative is not as positive as it was two-three years ago.  Recruiting is getting harder as the losses pile up.  The future is getting more cloudy, and his career as a head coach at a power 5 school is looking less certain by the week.  He is showing the stress at the press conferences. 

At some point he has to ask himself, is this job at Arkansas worth the toll it is taking on me?  Can I walk away with my future intact, and live to coach another day?  Would one year's pay be enough to see me through a year or two of rehab, then on to another job that will get my career trajectory going in the right direction?  I badly miscalculated on this job.

That's what I'm thinking. IF you think about it, after what we've witnessed today, he really has a competitive product on the field but he's not getting results W/L. He plays with TCU more than 3 quarters, and TCU goes in to Oklahoma state as a 13 point underdog and wins by 2 scores today.

The Aggie game has been there for the taking today along with a couple other years he's lost the game, but we can't seem to win it.  He's got some nice wins under his belt here too; Texas, Florida, Ole Miss, LSU (shutouts). But when he needs a win to restore fan faith, he can't seem to get one.

Iwastherein1969

Name one top shelf program that would hire CBB right now....honestly, there are none...his successors at Wisconsin have done just as well or better than CBB did when he was up there. Bielema was left a gold mine by Barry Alvarez and would still be winning games if he had not "HAND" written that letter of sympathy to Jeffie Long. I'll bet he rues the day he picked up the pen and stationery, addressed the envelope and sent it south to Jeffie Long. Some times you zig when you should zag and sometimes you just need to stay pat. Bret should have stayed pat.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Dark Helmet Hog

Not gonna happen but firing Long could send the message to BB to start looking for another gig.

More likely is BB is planning on riding out his contract for every penny then "retiring" to a broadcast booth in a position that is much easier on the home life. He will be set for life financially regardless of the next job. 

RazorPiggie

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 23, 2017, 09:20:36 pm
Name one top shelf program that would hire CBB right now....honestly, there are none...his successors at Wisconsin have done just as well or better than CBB did when he was up there. Bielema was left a gold mine by Barry Alvarez and would still be winning games if he had not "HAND" written that letter of sympathy to Jeffie Long. I'll bet he rues the day he picked up the pen and stationery, addressed the envelope and sent it south to Jeffie Long. Some times you zig when you should zag and sometimes you just need to stay pat. Bret should have stayed pat.

I did not say a Top shelf program.

Jek Tono Porkins

If Ferentz would ever ride into the sunset CBB would take the Iowa job in a New York Minute.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hoggiedawg

hog.goblin

Agreed: Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa, Iowa St would all be good fits.  Or Minnesota once Fleck upgrades.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 23, 2017, 10:09:42 pm
Agreed: Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa, Iowa St would all be good fits.  Or Minnesota once Fleck upgrades.
Iowa is paying Kirk Ferentz more than we are paying Bielema. Iowa is not going to hire Bielema just because he played football there.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Farmer Hogget

This is one of the funniest things I've EVER read in my entire life!  LOL.  Please, link the article!  Jeff Long is on NO hot seat!  He is an outstanding Athletics Director and will be at Arkansas for a very long time!  What happens at Nebraska has no effect on decision making at Arkansas.

And really, can you people not find something else to talk about.  All of you just keep wringing your hands and whining about Jeff Long being fired and Bret Beliema being fired and the hiring of some savior AD who will manage to what?  Re-hire Bobby Petrino?  LOL.  This is all so comical! 

"A theory I see happening..."  LOL.  I can't stop laughing!  LOLOLOLOL.

Jimbob111

Quote from: bondhue on September 23, 2017, 09:08:15 pm

Yes, Beliema's emotionally involved. And he still doesn't realize the problem is him. I know a guy who keeps repeating a cycle of unstable, chaotic, destructive relationships with crazy, drug-addicted women who have led him to be jobless, lost his career due to domestic battery charges, is currently unemployed and is going to lose his house, can't afford cardiac medication and is going into heart failure because of the lack of meds. Now, he's drinking himself to death. And, like Beliema, he can't figure out the problem is HIM not the crazy chicks he keeps getting into bed with.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Jimbob111 on September 24, 2017, 03:17:58 am
Yes, Beliema's emotionally involved. And he still doesn't realize the problem is him. I know a guy who keeps repeating a cycle of unstable, chaotic, destructive relationships with crazy, drug-addicted women who have led him to be jobless, lost his career due to domestic battery charges, is currently unemployed and is going to lose his house, can't afford cardiac medication and is going into heart failure because of the lack of meds. Now, he's drinking himself to death. And, like Beliema, he can't figure out the problem is HIM not the crazy chicks he keeps getting into bed with.

I spoke too soon. . .this may be funnier.  LOL.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 23, 2017, 09:20:36 pm

I don't know about that,,, he would have made about 12-14 million at Whisky in 5 years.. here it's going to be about 35 million for those same 5 years.. would you have taken the  job.. he would need to last at least 10 more years at Wisc. to cover what he'll get from us....

Horkus Porkus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 23, 2017, 08:55:11 pm
I agree!!!!!!!

PorkRinds

LZH

Redhogs

No school that pays big money is going to hire BB after his performance here..they're just not.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hog.goblin

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 24, 2017, 02:11:54 am
Iowa is paying Kirk Ferentz more than we are paying Bielema. Iowa is not going to hire Bielema just because he played football there.

Ferentz won't coach forever, and they certainly have shown they can embrace solid average coaching...something most outsiders view Bret as (average)

Porkchop#1

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

#1Fan

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 24, 2017, 10:40:06 am
Ferentz won't coach forever, and they certainly have shown they can embrace solid average coaching...something most outsiders view Bret as (average)
I hope you're not suggesting that we hold onto Bielema through the 2026 season when Ferentz' contract runs out.

hog.goblin

Quote from: #1Fan on September 24, 2017, 01:38:36 pm
I hope you're not suggesting that we hold onto Bielema through the 2026 season when Ferentz' contract runs out.

ha, no, not unless he goes on a magical run of winning

Hoggish1

Seriously flawed post.

TebowHater

Just to be clear, you read an article that was totally fabricated and has been heavily retracted. In fact, the only financial-related point in the article that didn't have to be retracted was that the total number of Broyles-Matthews donors is not as high as it once was. Carry on.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

redleg

While the football program is the most important and the biggest money maker for the university, there are other teams that have faired very well under Long, such as the track teams, men's basketball, golf, and especially Dave Van Horn's diamond Hogs. The football program is still salvageable, whether it is under the direction of Bielema or a different head coach. In fact, I would say it is far from bereft. Bielema can still turn things around, and if he doesn't, hiring a new, and quality, coach most likely will. I do not see Jeff Long going anywhere.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Kevin

golf coach was here before long
dvh was here before long

he does not get credit for them.

I just hope he leaves them alone.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 23, 2017, 08:55:11 pm

I guess you would want to fire the Chef as well as the manager of a restaurant right in the middle of them cooking your entree' after being disappointed in the appetizer.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi