Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pertinent game stats

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 23, 2017, 03:52:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Allen: 12 of 25 for 229, 2 TD's and 1 INT. 2 games in a row under 50% completion. Not good for a 5th year senior.

Hayden: 13 for 77

Williams: 11 for 68

Whaley: 6 for 38

total Rushing: 45 for 226 and that includes Allen with 7 carries for minus 36. Pretty good overall.

Punting: 7 for 43.9 average with no returns by A&M. Can't ask for more than that. And 2 inside the 20. 7 is too many punts for a game but that is not punter's problem.

5 of 13 3rd down conversions. Awful.

A&M had 285 yds rushing on 42 carries: 6.8 yrs per carry. Horrible for Arkansas' defense.

A&M averaged 30 yards per return on 6 kick off returns. Again, horrible kicking team play by Arkansas.

Bielema now 26-28 overall at Arkansas and 10-23 in SEC games. 0-5 vs Texas A&M.

That is all.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

6.8 yards per rush average by A&M. So much for the defense playing better this year. Cant win no matter what else happens if you are allowing 7 yards per rush on 42 rushes by the opponent.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

HiM the defense is not getting it done.  One of the biggest problems the past ten years is the defense
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

rtr

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 10:45:46 am
HiM the defense is not getting it done.  One of the biggest problems the past ten years is the defense
Both Willie Robinson and Reggie Herring had better defenses than ours have been the last 3 years.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hoggish1

You get 6.8 ypc when you give up 3-5 big plays from scrimmage. Otherwise, not as bad as the totals would suggest if you take away the QB/Backs long runs.

NorthDallas40

So if we fired BB today with a 15,000,000 buy out that means he gets 1,500,000 for each of his 10 SEC wins. Looking at those numbers, unless you are a literal cuck and Arkansas can never do anything wrong ostrich, you can't reasonably argue that the person who hired BB and then gave him that buyout shouldn't be fired too, and probably before BB is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 10:42:28 am
6.8 yards per rush average by A&M. So much for the defense playing better this year. Cant win no matter what else happens if you are allowing 7 yards per rush on 42 rushes by the opponent.

57.4 yards per touch on average over 5 plays (2 passing, 3 rushing) totaling 287 yards.

3.3 yards per touch on 64 other plays.

Big plays and bad decisions and bad KO coverage is what killed us.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: rtr on September 24, 2017, 12:33:36 pm
Both Willie Robinson and Reggie Herring had better defenses than ours have been the last 3 years.

Yep.

We finally have a DC that acts like a football coach. Unfortunately the answer is to recruit our way out of the hole. Rhoads is a good Coordinator. He's doing ok with what he has to work with.

What he's working with is the fault of the HC.

I've been saying it for a while, not enough sideline ass-chewing. Just stupid looks when things go wrong.
This is my non-signature signature.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 12:56:10 pm
57.4 yards per touch on average over 5 plays (2 passing, 3 rushing) totaling 287 yards.

3.3 yards per play is basically a first down every 3rd play. Not an acceptable number either.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 01:00:34 pm
3.3 yards per play is basically a first down every 3rd play. Not an acceptable number either.

It's pretty good. You need to re-think that. I'd take it in the absence of the big plays allowed, which would have produced a far different outcome yesterday. Even if they had met their goal of allowing just two yesterday, it would have been different. Of course not setting A&M up at our 49 yd line and not allowing a 100 yard KO return would have produced a different result as well even with 5 big plays allowed.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 23, 2017, 03:52:11 pm
Allen: 12 of 25 for 229, 2 TD's and 1 INT. 2 games in a row under 50% completion. Not good for a 5th year senior.

*6 sacks, 8 hurries

The O-line was awful
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Dark Helmet Hog

if we're going to give up yardage in huge chunks anyway, we might as well bring the house on every down and try to force more turnovers / mistakes. High risk / high reward but can't be any worse than we are now playing not to lose.

RebelliousHog

total Rushing: 45 for 226 and that includes Allen with 7 carries for minus 36. Pretty good overall.

Punting: 7 for 43.9 average with no returns by A&M. Can't ask for more than that. And 2 inside the 20. 7 is too many punts for a game but that is not punter's problem.

A&M had 285 yds rushing on 42 carries: 6.8 yrs per carry. Horrible for Arkansas' defense.

A&M averaged 30 yards per return on 6 kick off returns. Again, horrible kicking team play by Arkansas.

That is all.

I won't argue most of this but, if I recall our kick-off coverage was stellar except for the Kirk TD and the pooch/sky/mistake kick.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Cinco de Hogo

Rhoads will never be any better than the players he is allowed to recruit.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 01:04:00 pm
It's pretty good. You need to re-think that. I'd take it in the absence of the big plays allowed, which would have produced a far different outcome yesterday. Even if they had met their goal of allowing just two yesterday, it would have been different. Of course not setting A&M up at our 49 yd line and not allowing a 100 yard KO return would have produced a different result as well even with 5 big plays allowed.

The problem is you DON'T get to take in absence of the big plays so it also sucked.

hogman64

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 24, 2017, 01:04:52 pm
*6 sacks, 8 hurries

The O-line was awful

for whatever reason a lot of people always want to throw the blame away from A A , sure our oline is below average but his play as a whole  since Auburn   has been awful... throwing an interception into triple coverage in O T when it wasn't fourth down  was just more of the same...not what you should get from a senior....

DeltaBoy

That is all.

We only care about one ......WE LOST AGAIN TO TAMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Qui Gon Jinn

Not looking for excuses or trying to make them, but does anyone know how many of those 25 passes were throw aways and how many the intended receiver should have caught?  I know there weren't many of the latter, but seems like he threw quite  few away.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Quote from: hogman64 on September 24, 2017, 01:29:12 pm
for whatever reason a lot of people always want to throw the blame away from A A , sure our oline is below average but his play as a whole  since Auburn   has been awful... throwing an interception into triple coverage in O T when it wasn't fourth down  was just more of the same...

I agree, he holds the ball too long as well - he's inconsistent, throws TDs in double-coverage, yet will overthrow a wide open WR, definitely not hitting them in stride.  He also looks rattled and isn't a calming influence most of the time like he has been before.  But our receivers(other than Cornelious and our TEs) don't get open, our play-calling stinks - and today the Aggies' coverage was horrible at times.

The offense, defense, special teams...from TOP TO BOTTOM are PAINFUL to watch.

The bottom line is it all starts with the HC, and he has enough to work with to not be screwing it all up - BC they are ALL following his lead. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 01:12:48 pm
The problem is you DON'T get to take in absence of the big plays so it also sucked.

Well that is just absolutely incorrect. When you are playing 93% of the snaps correctly in a new defense that isn't even fully staffed as a 3-4 should be and you allow just 3.3 yds/play on 64 plays but have breakdowns on 5 of 69 total plays against a good offense, you work to dissect and eliminate the 5 big plays that occurred to prevent them in the future. It doesn't mean that you are dead as a defense because you played, aligned and reacted correctly 93% of the time, it just means that you have to study how you broke down in some way 7% of the time so that you can improve and get better. This defense is learning and they will get better.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on September 24, 2017, 01:37:23 pm
Not looking for excuses or trying to make them, but does anyone know how many of those 25 passes were throw aways and how many the intended receiver should have caught?  I know there weren't many of the latter, but seems like he threw quite  few away.

IMO most areas of the offense are equally underperforming.  But yes, he was hurried all day.  He probably freaking broke his nose.

Qui Gon Jinn

He does hold the ball to long.  He missed David Williams ( I think it was him) last night.  He was wide open and away from the defense.  Would have been a walk in TD, but AA never looked over his way.  Just held the ball and ended up with nothing.

I can't decide if he's scared to tuck it and run or if he's been told not to.  The opportunity has been there, but it almost never happens.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Let's break that stat down, and correct me if I am wrong.

Cole Kelley: 3 of 3 on third down conversions.

Austin Allen: 2 of 10 on third down conversions.

Russ22

In today's football, it is big plays that decide every game. The offenses of yesteryear fought for time of possession and field position. Those things matter much less now than explosive plays.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

longpig

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on September 24, 2017, 12:55:45 pm
So if we fired BB today with a 15,000,000 buy out that means he gets 1,500,000 for each of his 10 SEC wins. Looking at those numbers, unless you are a literal cuck and Arkansas can never do anything wrong ostrich, you can't reasonably argue that the person who hired BB and then gave him that buyout shouldn't be fired too, and probably before BB is.

I here you but what about the RF leadership that signed off on the hiring, extension and buyout?
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 24, 2017, 01:43:56 pm
Let's break that stat down, and correct me if I am wrong.

Cole Kelley: 3 of 3 on third down conversions.

Austin Allen: 2 of 10 on third down conversions.

Limited packages designed especially for him in specific circumstances. Not taking away from his performance when he was in, but it isn't an equal comparison.
Go Hogs Go!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 01:45:25 pm
Limited packages designed especially for him in specific circumstances. Not taking away from his performance when he was in, but it isn't an equal comparison.

Allen's 10 third down attempts were packages designed specifically for him too.  He converted 2 of 10.  I think it was actually 1 of 9 for Allen though, because if I'm not mistaken, Hayden got a third down conversion out of the wildhog formation.

Kelley converted all three third downs for which he was put in the game  Just what is it you are looking for?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Some of you guys that have been around here the longest are the most stuckest in the mud of everyone.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 01:45:25 pm

I agree.  Missed a WIDE OPEN, sure TD on one of MANY Aggie D complete breakdowns.

Love his energy, but if he is going to be a starter he cab't do the "first down" celebration like he did on his first play.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 01:40:22 pm
Well that is just absolutely incorrect. When you are playing 93% of the snaps correctly in a new defense that isn't even fully staffed as a 3-4 should be and you allow just 3.3 yds/play on 64 plays but have breakdowns on 5 of 69 total plays against a good offense, you work to dissect and eliminate the 5 big plays that occurred to prevent them in the future. It doesn't mean that you are dead as a defense because you played, aligned and reacted correctly 93% of the time, it just means that you have to study how you broke down in some way 7% of the time so that you can improve and get better. This defense is learning and they will get better.

No. You never get to cherry pick.

A&M was 8 for 17 on drives that were extended to 3rd down or beyond. At 3.3 ypp your opponent can afford multiple attempts on 4th downs in plus territory. That gets you beat most of the time.

Getting beat more often than you win is bad even in the world "statistics".

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 24, 2017, 01:51:53 pm
I agree.  Missed a WIDE OPEN, sure TD on one of MANY Aggie D complete breakdowns.

Love his energy, but if he is going to be a starter he cab't do the "first down" celebration like he did on his first play.

I agree with the celebration thingy.  He is young and he will get that part out of his system.  And he did see the receiver, as he threw the ball at him, it was just too late and he could not get any velocity on the pass.  he just needs a little experience behind the wheel. 

One thing you can bet the pig farm on with Kelley, the boy WILL play on Sundays. 

bphi11ips

This boxscore looks almost exactly like the game - razor close, no pun intended. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400933864

Penalties were the difference.  The team who makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Like it or not, you can't grab a receiver's jersey. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 02:07:36 pm
No. You never get to cherry pick.

A&M was 8 for 17 on drives that were extended to 3rd down or beyond. At 3.3 ypp your opponent can afford multiple attempts on 4th downs in plus territory. That gets you beat most of the time.

Getting beat more often than you win is bad even in the world "statistics".

Think what you will, if a defense on average limits big plays and also limits all other plays (rushing and passing to a 3.3 yard average per play), I'll take that any day and you will win far more than you lose.
Go Hogs Go!

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 24, 2017, 02:30:20 pm
I agree with the celebration thingy.  He is young and he will get that part out of his system.  And he did see the receiver, as he threw the ball at him, it was just too late and he could not get any velocity on the pass.  he just needs a little experience behind the wheel. 

One thing you can bet the pig farm on with Kelley, the boy WILL play on Sundays. 

He was open and had he thrown it on his first read it was a TD.  It was after reading the other side and coming back that he tried and by then it was too late.
You can watch it clearly here, then Huard uncomfortably breaks it down:

https://youtu.be/8iGVsZlyJ2Q

I agree, I love the kid and can't wait for him to be our guy.  That's why I don't want to get him hurt or QB killa him as BB's tenure winds down.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Here's a pertinent stat.  Let's quit quoting the 15.whatever million for BB's buyout.  It goes to 11.whatever January 1.  If the choice is made to fire BB they can wait to announce it on Jan 1 instead of Dec 1.  Most good coaches won't be available until then anyway.  If money is an issue they will wait the few weeks to save the 4 mil.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 24, 2017, 03:44:35 pm
Here's a pertinent stat.  Let's quit quoting the 15.whatever million for BB's buyout.  It goes to 11.whatever January 1.  If the choice is made to fire BB they can wait to announce it on Jan 1 instead of Dec 1.  Most good coaches won't be available until then anyway.  If money is an issue they will wait the few weeks to save the 4 mil.

So, Long is going to let Bielema sign his recruiting class in Dec and fire him Jan. 1, you don't know Long....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 03:54:18 pm
So, Long is going to let Bielema sign his recruiting class in Dec and fire him Jan. 1, you don't know Long....

Didn't say it was a probable just possible.  Also with only a month to go they could negotiate it down to the 2018 number for the good of everyone involved.  Basically, look Bret you can twist in the wind and we can decide to fire you outright on 1/1 or you can take the 1/1 money today (12/1) and save some face and move on.

At this point he is more than likely not getting fired this year if he cobbles together a 6-6 season, not my bar but that's what I think it is. If he somehow is let go after the season he is not getting the 15.whatever.  I will bet $20 and a Frito Pie on that.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 24, 2017, 04:00:56 pm
Didn't say it was a probable just possible.  Also with only a month to go they could negotiate it down to the 2018 number for the good of everyone involved.  Basically, look Bret you can twist in the wind and we can decide to fire you outright on 1/1 or you can take the 1/1 money today (12/1) and save some face and move on.

At this point he is more than likely not getting fired this year if he cobbles together a 6-6 season, not my bar but that's what I think it is. If he somehow is let go after the season he is not getting the 15.whatever.  I will bet $20 and a Frito Pie on that.

If we are paying $11.7m, I see us paying $15.4 the day Monday after Thanksgiving. I don't see us paying anything, it will take a 2-6 SEC record or worse to get him fired.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 12:50:22 pm
You get 6.8 ypc when you give up 3-5 big plays from scrimmage. Otherwise, not as bad as the totals would suggest if you take away the QB/Backs long runs.
That's like saying if we hadn't given up 3 scores, we would have won. Stewpid.

HognotinMemphis

Big plays always are part of the result of the chipping away with shorter gains by an opponent. But rationalize all you like. If they hadn't scored a couple of the TD's, we would have won too.

SemperHawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 10:42:28 am
Everyone wanted to take that fools gold of a defense against TCU to the bank.  Every team that wants to can read option us to the tune of 7 yards per attempt anytime they choose to.  TCU got out of hand late when it should have gotten out of hand earlier. Jalen Hurts and that Bama crew of RB's will run for 10 miles on us in a few weeks

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: SemperHawg on September 24, 2017, 05:39:46 pm
Everyone wanted to take that fools gold of a defense against TCU to the bank.  Every team that wants to can read option us to the tune of 7 yards per attempt anytime they choose to.  TCU got out of hand late when it should have gotten out of hand earlier. Jalen Hurts and that Bama crew of RB's will run for 10 miles on us in a few weeks
100% agree on both points.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 24, 2017, 01:04:56 pm
if we're going to give up yardage in huge chunks anyway, we might as well bring the house on every down and try to force more turnovers / mistakes. High risk / high reward but can't be any worse than we are now playing not to lose.

AKA Joe Lee Dunn!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 10:45:46 am
One of the biggest problems the past ten years is the defense

We only have 4 problems: defense, offense, special teams and coaching.  Fix those and we are in good shape.

DeltaBoy

That is all.

Most important
Bret is 0-5 against TAMU!  no other Coach in the schools storied history is 0-5 against TAMU !

hoglady

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on September 24, 2017, 01:43:28 pm
He does hold the ball to long.  He missed David Williams ( I think it was him) last night.  He was wide open and away from the defense.  Would have been a walk in TD, but AA never looked over his way.  Just held the ball and ended up with nothing.

I can't decide if he's scared to tuck it and run or if he's been told not to.  The opportunity has been there, but it almost never happens.

I really thought that was Cole Kelley that didn't see the wide open Williams.

I could be wrong or we could be talking about different plays.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Quote from: hoglady on September 24, 2017, 08:36:13 pm

That was CK, but AA had some bad reads as well.  They also both made some brilliant plays, AA making some incredible throws.

CK's ability to power run is what is exciting, so many more options in the red zone. 

O-line has got to pass protect better.

hoglady

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 24, 2017, 08:42:23 pm
That was CK, but AA had some bad reads as well.  They also both made some brilliant plays, AA making some incredible throws.

CK's ability to power run is what is exciting, so many more options in the red zone. 

O-line has got to pass protect better.

Kelley's the biggest QB I've seen since Lorenzen at Kentucky.
It'll be interesting watching him play.
The package with him running should help solve our short yardage issues.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 24, 2017, 08:36:13 pm

It was.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 12:50:22 pm
Should we take away the 3 defensive TD's on just 3 plays for SC when we review the SC game and judge our offense? Just wondering.