Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What role will TJ Hammonds play this year?

Started by troyer37, July 19, 2017, 03:35:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

troyer37

I haven't heard a lot about him. Is he going to play wr or rb or both?

presidenthog

You know. He is one guy that I know has a ton of talent, but I keep forgetting about him. I think he will do a lot of different things in our offense. Play slot, play rb, take jet sweeps. He will be a versatile player for us.

troyer37

I know he pretty highly recruited out of highschool. I just hadn't heard much on him and was wondering if he was getting buried in the depth chart.

PORKULATOR

Flank him all over and get him the ball. When he's in open field, he's special.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ADavisTheGOAT

If I recall he had a nice run against Florida that was called back because of a stupid penalty. He'll be very explosive.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

PorkRinds

I could see him being a hybrid WR-RB combo, which would be pretty awesome.  Sort of an all-purpose kind of guy like McCaffrey. 

FANONTHEHILL

Think of him in the role Cornelius played last year.  Slot, return man, occasionally in the backfield or taking a reverse.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

Poor man's Percy Harivn.

Whaley will be the primary back.

Maleek will be the B back early on and progressing to a 1b.

David will be the 3rd down back.

Hammonds will be the swiss army knife.

That's how things seem to be shaping up currently. Obviously things like ball security, pass blocking, and so on will change things.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

onebadrubi

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 08:57:05 pm
Poor man's Percy Harivn.

Whaley will be the primary back.

Maleek will be the B back early on and progressing to a 1b.

David will be the 3rd down back.

Hammonds will be the swiss army knife.

That's how things seem to be shaping up currently. Obviously things like ball security, pass blocking, and so on will change things.

Just curious, how do you know how things are shaping up currently?  Or is this just a guess of yours from listening to interviews?

Bacons Rebellion

It seems like, in the past, running backs such as Hammonds often have trouble finding much real playing time for us when there have been more traditional big backs available. It looks good on paper and then doesn't happen. I hope Hammonds can find a role.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on July 19, 2017, 09:21:55 pm
It seems like, in the past, running backs such as Hammonds often have trouble finding much real playing time for us when there have been more traditional big backs available. It looks good on paper and then doesn't happen. I hope Hammonds can find a role.

Hammonds isn't a little scat back type that people mistakenly just say he is fast because he is small.  He is actually bigger than most think and appears to be pretty solid.

I think Hammonds will find a place because he will earn it.  I think he will force the staffs hand because every time he gets the ball he will make plays happen.  He will demand his touches throughout a game and a good OC will put plays in in the game plan to get him those touches. 

Remmeber last year he was in the shotgun taking a direct snap until we had a false start?  Then he had a long run called back. 

Unless he gives them a reason, like problems holding on to the ball, then they will be forced to feed him 10-15 times  game.

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2017, 09:07:48 pm
Just curious, how do you know how things are shaping up currently?  Or is this just a guess of yours from listening to interviews?

I wouldn't call it a guess so much as restating what the coaches have, but yes, essentially the latter. By currently, I mean, what we as fans currently have available information wise.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

Quote from: Hogfan991 on July 19, 2017, 06:35:39 pm
If I recall he had a nice run against Florida that was called back because of a stupid penalty. He'll be very explosive.

You are correct.

T.J. Hammonds rush for 15 yards to the AR44 (M. Maye), PENALTY AR illegal block (Jake Raulerson) 15 yards to the AR29.

https://twitter.com/TuskyLove/status/887852197685407744
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

go hogues

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2017, 09:26:46 pm
Hammonds isn't a little scat back type that people mistakenly just say he is fast because he is small.  He is actually bigger than most think and appears to be pretty solid.

I think Hammonds will find a place because he will earn it.  I think he will force the staffs hand because every time he gets the ball he will make plays happen.  He will demand his touches throughout a game and a good OC will put plays in in the game plan to get him those touches. 

Remmeber last year he was in the shotgun taking a direct snap until we had a false start?  Then he had a long run called back. 

Unless he gives them a reason, like problems holding on to the ball, then they will be forced to feed him 10-15 times  game.
Agreed. He'll be a good one.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 19, 2017, 08:03:59 pm
Think of him in the role Cornelius played last year.  Slot, return man, occasionally in the backfield or taking a reverse.

Could see Hammonds running this play:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2017, 09:26:46 pm

He isn't a tiny scat back but he is pretty small.

He is currently listed as 5'10 195.

However, for comparison to some similar hogs in the recent past, Dennis Johnson magically went from 5'9 213 his senior season to 5'6 196 for his pro day. Joe Adam's went from 5'11 190 to 5'10 179. To be fair, our listed numbers have been pretty close to the combine/pro day numbers under Bielema as opposed to under Petrino. However, they aren't 100%.

I compare him to Percy Harvin who was 5'11 192 at the combine. Percy never really had a single positional home. He was a special teams returner, slot receiver, wide receiver, and running back. He had 133 receptions and 194 rushes. I say returns, but maybe he started that in the pros as I don't see any college stats for him there. In the NFL, he has 152 kick returns, 146 rushes, and 353 receptions.

Similar body type, similar skill set, similar coaches conundrum/plan of playing him as a receiver and a back. I say a poor man's Harvin as Percy was the penultimate player over the past decade or more to do this. In Harvin's freshmen year, he had 855 total yards. His lowest ypc during his college days was naturally the year he carried it the most, and was a measly 9.2 ypc. So, when I say poor man's Percy Harvin, I'm not trying to say that TJ Hammonds is poor on talent or skill or anything. Only that I think he is a couple tiers below Harvin's skill set and production which was phenomenal.

Finally, as for how many touches I think Hammonds will get, I think it will be lower judging by how many snaps there are to go around. The past 2 years under Enos, we've averaged about 70 plays per game. The fastest paced teams tend to get in about 80. Under Petrino's best years, we averaged 68.

So, let's go with 70 plays per game. About 31 of those snaps last year went to Allen passing the ball. The most number of carries that a back like Hammonds has gotten in a season was 25 with Korliss. Allen has the likes of Cornelius, Martin, Stewart, Pettway, and Jones as his top receivers with Cantrell, O'Grady, Gunter, and Patton as skilled receiving TE's to throw to. At the RB position, Devwah and Maleek have the skill sets that are desired in every down backs and are more productive getting the tough yards and between the tackle runs than Hammonds. The primary runners and strong runners have taken an average of 32 snaps per game. That leaves a maximum of 7 snaps for Hammonds in the run game which we also like to give guys like Cornelius snaps. However, even if Hammonds does get all of those snaps, he'll need to average 3 receptions a game which would put him at our 3 leading receiver.

I think Hammonds will play an important role for our team this year, but I don't see where he will be able to find 10-15 touches per game. 5-8 touches per game, sure. However, we a lot of talent on offense. Enough so that I don't see him being between 14-21% of our total offense by himself.

bennyl08

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 10:32:19 pm
Why would we not still use Cornelius?

Cornelius is a senior so Hammonds could fill that role next season and moving forward.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on July 19, 2017, 10:41:34 pm
Cornelius is a senior so Hammonds could fill that role next season and moving forward.

Given the title of my thread, I was thinking more short term...

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 10:32:19 pm
Why would we not still use Cornelius?

With his experience at RB Hammonds may be better suited for plays like that one. I'm sure JC will get the ball in his hands plenty, and as the leader of the WR corp he will have a lot on his plate. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 10:30:37 pm

Finally, as for how many touches I think Hammonds will get, I think it will be lower judging by how many snaps there are to go around. The past 2 years under Enos, we've averaged about 70 plays per game. The fastest paced teams tend to get in about 80. Under Petrino's best years, we averaged 68.

So, let's go with 70 plays per game. About 31 of those snaps last year went to Allen passing the ball. The most number of carries that a back like Hammonds has gotten in a season was 25 with Korliss. Allen has the likes of Cornelius, Martin, Stewart, Pettway, and Jones as his top receivers with Cantrell, O'Grady, Gunter, and Patton as skilled receiving TE's to throw to. At the RB position, Devwah and Maleek have the skill sets that are desired in every down backs and are more productive getting the tough yards and between the tackle runs than Hammonds. The primary runners and strong runners have taken an average of 32 snaps per game. That leaves a maximum of 7 snaps for Hammonds in the run game which we also like to give guys like Cornelius snaps. However, even if Hammonds does get all of those snaps, he'll need to average 3 receptions a game which would put him at our 3 leading receiver.

I think Hammonds will play an important role for our team this year, but I don't see where he will be able to find 10-15 touches per game. 5-8 touches per game, sure. However, we a lot of talent on offense. Enough so that I don't see him being between 14-21% of our total offense by himself.

by touches I don't just mean hand offs.  Returns, passes, and in the back field. 

LRHawg

Quote from: Hogfan991 on July 19, 2017, 06:35:39 pm

It was a block in the back, I believe by a lineman, way behind the play. Unnecessary.

factchecker

Quote from: LRHawg on July 19, 2017, 11:01:39 pm
It was a block in the back, I believe by a lineman, way behind the play. Unnecessary.

Not a block in the back - an illegal cut block by Raulerson:

You can see it toward the end of the clip.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LRHawg

Quote from: factchecker on July 19, 2017, 11:06:57 pm
Not a block in the back - an illegal cut block by Raulerson:

You can see it toward the end of the clip.

Thanks, yep I commented and then realized someone linked the video halfway down.

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2017, 10:58:26 pm
by touches I don't just mean hand offs.  Returns, passes, and in the back field.

I addressed all of that. Well, other than returns. If you go through the stats of yesteryear, you find that even Joe Adams averaged <2 touches as a PR per game. Dennis Johnson <2 KR per game. When was the last time our primary kick returner was our primary punt returner?

Further, Hammonds has a lot of competition as a returner. Cornelius has done a very good job as a PR himself. Stewart who has the same playing style as Hammonds beat him out for the KR spot last year, meaning Hammonds will have to improve from 16 to 17 more than Stewart. That or Stewart becomes too important to lose to injury or something.

Now, with Cornelius, we may very well decide he is too important to risk to injury at PR. Hammonds would be a very intriguing prospect back there, if he doesn't lose the ball. However, Stewart, Barnes, Warren, Curtis, and Hayden all have that same intriguing skill set. Don't take my word for it, go watch their HS tapes. Sure, HS is one thing and college is another, but let's be honest. None of us have really seen what Hammonds can do in college either, especially as a returner where his only experience is a KR for 16 yards.

It's easy to look at a player and get excited about their potential. Happens to me as well. However, you can't lose sight of the other 84 scholarship players we have on our roster as well. Hammonds can do things that nobody else on our roster can. However, other on our roster can do things that Hammonds can't as well. Whaley and Maleek have the tools to be 20+ carries a game backs each. With Hammonds, that isn't known yet. Currently, he looks like a good change of pace back. Perhaps he is as much a 3 down back feature back as the other two and it is simply that coaches have only given him change of pace plays to run. Or perhaps he develops into a feature back type of runner that demands more time in the backfield. Maybe he becomes a very good receiver and becomes a safety blanket for Allen, beating out the likes of Stewart, Pettway, Martin, and so on. There are a lot of question marks at receiver since outside of Cornelius, we simply haven't had time to see much of any of those guys.

I can not say with any more validity that Hammonds won't be a 10-15 touch per game guy next season than you can say that he will be. Both are very much possibilities. However, from probability standpoint, I just don't see that happening. Percy Harvin at his collegiate peak just barely averaged 10 touches per game. It just isn't common to have players of that skill set get that heavy of a work load.

troyer37

All good stuff! Well I guess we will see how it all plays out. I still think you give him a shot at returning. Let Cornelius do his duties at receiver especially since he is our most experienced and don't want him to injure himself returning punts.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 19, 2017, 10:30:37 pm
I say a poor man's Harvin as Percy was the penultimate player over the past decade or more to do this.
Penultimate means "next to last."

EFBAB

Cinco de Hogo

Four years of watching BB ball and even considering two years of Dan Enos, I find it had to put much faith in a guy like Hammonds being giving more than 2-3 touches per game.  Like anything else this year will stand alone once it starts so we just have to wait and see.  Wish him the best of seasons though!

Oh and I'm not talking about returning punts and kicks he may see plenty of action there.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: factchecker on July 19, 2017, 10:25:26 pm
You are correct.

T.J. Hammonds rush for 15 yards to the AR44 (M. Maye), PENALTY AR illegal block (Jake Raulerson) 15 yards to the AR29.

Can we please please please put that speed on the field a lot this year

bennyl08

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 19, 2017, 06:55:04 pm
I could see him being a hybrid WR-RB combo, which would be pretty awesome.  Sort of an all-purpose kind of guy like McCaffrey.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 20, 2017, 07:23:33 am
Four years of watching BB ball and even considering two years of Dan Enos, I find it had to put much faith in a guy like Hammonds being giving more than 2-3 touches per game.  Like anything else this year will stand alone once it starts so we just have to wait and see.  Wish him the best of seasons though!

Oh and I'm not talking about returning punts and kicks he may see plenty of action there.
Probably won't be too busy returning punts, but figure he'll see plenty of action on kickoff returns.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS