Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Predictions?

Started by HogsRule1, May 10, 2016, 09:35:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsRule1

I honestly just wanna hear everyone's predictions for the 2016-2017 Basketball Season...
Mine is 23-10 and a 8 or 9 seed in the Tourney. Team will start slow and pick up! Woo Pig!!!

HoopS

How can you run a number out there before the schedule is released?

HogsRule1

Quote from: HoopS on May 10, 2016, 09:36:39 am
Funny since when did "Give me a Prediction" mean "Be a Troll"???

jry04

Quote from: HogsRule1 on May 10, 2016, 09:38:31 am
It is a fair question. I think we will be a pretty good team, and will make the NCAAT. However, I cannot put an accurate # on the games we win without seeing our schedule. How many non-conference road/neutral site games are we playing? How many top 25 non-conference opponents are we playing?

HoopS

Quote from: HogsRule1 on May 10, 2016, 09:38:31 am
I don't even know what you mean.

My point is -- you are saying 23 wins but our schedule isn't even out yet. Hard to predict wins and losses with no schedule.

hogsanity

20-22 wins, hopefully not sweating it out on the bubble come sect time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BentonvilleJeff

Last year we had a fire the coach type of squad and it's a miracle in my opinion we finished .500.
This year my prediction is a can't wait to get to Walton Arena type team. Can't wait to watch this team with a loud jam packed arena.
I predict by February we are dangerous and nobody wants a piece of us.

Kevin

26-27 wins elite eight run
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

We probably stumble out of the gate then start to hit on all cylinders late in January and finish up strong. Hopefully strong enough to not be a bubble team but if we do sneak in as a 10 - 12 seed, we will be the team that none of the higher seeds wants to face in the first round.
Hogs up! Covid down!

jry04

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 10, 2016, 11:20:27 am
We probably stumble out of the gate then start to hit on all cylinders late in January and finish up strong. Hopefully strong enough to not be a bubble team but if we do sneak in as a 10 - 12 seed, we will be the team that none of the higher seeds wants to face in the first round.
I will considering next year a failure if we are a 10-12 seed, but that is just my personal opinion. Getting to the NCAAT will be great, but with this roster and it being year 6, 10-12 seed is unacceptable. I think a single digit seed should be expected.

PorkRinds

I predict that after the season, no matter the outcome, there will be at least ten "Anderson needs to go" threads if we don't win a national title.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 11:27:15 am
I predict that after the season, no matter the outcome, there will be at least ten "Anderson needs to go" threads if we don't win a national title.

and at least 10 " we just need to give Mike time " if we don't make the NCAAT ( which I think they will make ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 11:25:15 am
I will considering next year a failure if we are a 10-12 seed, but that is just my personal opinion. Getting to the NCAAT will be great, but with this roster and it being year 6, 10-12 seed is unacceptable. I think a single digit seed should be expected.

9 is a single digit, is that ok?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Need to see the schedule and what other teams are going to be.  Our SEC schedule has been soft.  It has become rather predictable as to who in conference has the softer schedules each season.  The SEC has UK and usually a few other "good" teams.  How many times you play them vs the likely bottom 4-5 goes a long way in determining how the path looks.  SC obviously was going to have a relatively "soft" SEC schedule last season when looking at it in preseason.  I'm going to assume our non conf schedule will have the right mix as to not be a hindrance when it comes to making the NCAAT but will produce a lot of wins. 

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2016/04/23/top-5-power-rankings-for-2016-17-sec-basketball/

Don't know much about this site but they give their SEC top 5 for next season:

UK
FL
SC
LSU
MSU

"The SEC was a huge disappointment last season despite boasting tons of talent all over the conference. Unfortunately, a majority of the talent that led teams like the Texas A&M Aggies and Georgia Bulldogs last season will be gone in 2016-17, meaning that room has opened up for teams that struggled last season to take a step up. Here are the way-too-early top five power rankings for the SEC heading into 2016-17."

Just not a lot of depth there.  Should equate to a lot of wins if Barford and perhaps some other newcomers give us what we think they might.  Probably have to get into the top 3 in terms of NCAAT possibilities from the SEC in order to ensure a spot.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jry04

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 10, 2016, 11:32:17 am
9 is a single digit, is that ok?
Much better than a 10 as far as where you land in the pecking order. Most 9 seeds are comfortably in. Most 10 seeds are a loss or two away from falling completely out of the field. We should be comfortably in with the roster as is.

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 10, 2016, 11:43:23 am
Need to see the schedule and what other teams are going to be.  Our SEC schedule has been soft.  It has become rather predictable as to who in conference has the softer schedules each season.  The SEC has UK and usually a few other "good" teams.  How many times you play them vs the likely bottom 4-5 goes a long way in determining how the path looks.  SC obviously was going to have a relatively "soft" SEC schedule last season when looking at it in preseason.  I'm going to assume our non conf schedule will have the right mix as to not be a hindrance when it comes to making the NCAAT but will produce a lot of wins. 

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2016/04/23/top-5-power-rankings-for-2016-17-sec-basketball/

Don't know much about this site but they give their SEC top 5 for next season:

UK
FL
SC
LSU
MSU

"The SEC was a huge disappointment last season despite boasting tons of talent all over the conference. Unfortunately, a majority of the talent that led teams like the Texas A&M Aggies and Georgia Bulldogs last season will be gone in 2016-17, meaning that room has opened up for teams that struggled last season to take a step up. Here are the way-too-early top five power rankings for the SEC heading into 2016-17."

Just not a lot of depth there.  Should equate to a lot of wins if Barford and perhaps some other newcomers give us what we think they might.  Probably have to get into the top 3 in terms of NCAAT possibilities from the SEC in order to ensure a spot.
MSU will be decent, but I do not think they are top 5, in my opinion. No chance LSU is a top 5 team. Jones is a terrible coach, and will likely miss the NCAAT next year with all of the players they are losing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 11:54:43 am
MSU will be decent, but I do not think they are top 5, in my opinion. No chance LSU is a top 5 team. Jones is a terrible coach, and will likely miss the NCAAT next year with all of the players they are losing.

I think the site really had to reach beyond the top 2.  Had to put someone 3-4-5.  Could probably reach for a few more and change out the 4th and 5th teams.  It is why upward mobility is so possible in this conference.  This may be the weakest season yet.  Martin is a good coach and has built his team so I think SC will be really competitive again but not a lock certainly to be top 3. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Commits

That added to Newman and Weatherspoon returning. They will be very good.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.anchorofgold.com/2016/4/6/11376036/way-too-early-sec-basketball-predictions-2016-17-edition

Here is the Vandy perspective.

UK
FL
Vandy
UGa
A&M
Hogs

Probably going to build a consensus with the top two and beyond that will vary for several spots depending on the predictor.  A&M will get some love.  MSU and Hogs probably too.  Too much unproven. 

HogsRule1

True hahahha +1

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2016, 12:16:08 pm

Define "very good." That is a very solid class, but a lot of those players will be thrown to the fire much earlier than they usually would. The guys MSU have coming in are good 3-4 year players, but only one or two would be what most would consider instant impact freshmen. More often than not, guys who are ranked outside of the top 40-50 as freshmen take a year or two to develop. A couple of those guys probably have pretty good years, but most of those guys will be 3-4 year type players that you would really rather not have to depend on playing big minutes from day 1. MSU will be a force in 2-3 years, but next year they will not be that much better than they were a season ago.

Many of those recruits will likely have the same growing pains that players like Beard, Whitt, and Moses had. All 3 were top 75 4* freshmen.

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 10, 2016, 12:08:45 pm
I think the site really had to reach beyond the top 2.  Had to put someone 3-4-5.  Could probably reach for a few more and change out the 4th and 5th teams.  It is why upward mobility is so possible in this conference.  This may be the weakest season yet.  Martin is a good coach and has built his team so I think SC will be really competitive again but not a lock certainly to be top 3. 
Agree on SC. They lose a few key pieces, but Martin is a good coach and has Notice, Dozier, and Thornwell returning.

Ironhawg

Quote from: HoopS on May 10, 2016, 09:36:39 am

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 10, 2016, 12:16:08 pm

Is Newman returning? Haven't seen that official. Did see where it was believed he signed with an agent and his dad publicly stating that Howland didn't use him the right way this last season.

GuvHog

21 wins MAX and an NIT bid.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on May 10, 2016, 01:03:47 pm
21 wins MAX and an NIT bid.
Just curious, what games do you have us losing?

HF#1

20 wins, NIT...  That's optimistic
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hollywood_HOGan45

This!

We could get thrashed by a team like Kansas in the final four and there would still be fans wanting him gone.

Dominicanhog

24 wins after sect ... ncaa 6th/7th seed... sect 3rd/4th seed...  12-6 sec... 9/10 ooc wins................. we could do better, won't do much worse..

HoopS

Quote from: HF#1 on May 10, 2016, 02:04:11 pm
20 wins, NIT...  That's optimistic
maybe for you. I'll be disappointed with that and that's without seeing the schedule.

Kevin

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 10, 2016, 02:36:47 pm
This!

We could get thrashed by a team like Kansas in the final four and there would still be fans wanting him gone.

exaggeration
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

This!

Dumb.

HogBreath

This!

Or much more likely, we could lose by fifty to LSU in the opening round of the SEC tourney, miss the dance & NIT, and still have a vocal throng vehemently swearing their allegiance to CMA & his beloved fast 40 system.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dropkick

Atlhogfan1

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/the-nbc-sports-2016-17-way-too-early-preseason-top-25/

UK only SEC team in this poll.  WCC and A10 have 2 each. 

A&M in others considered.

Texas in others considered. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 11:25:15 am
I will considering next year a failure if we are a 10-12 seed, but that is just my personal opinion. Getting to the NCAAT will be great, but with this roster and it being year 6, 10-12 seed is . I think a single digit seed should be expected.

I'd 100% rather be a 10-12 than be in that 8/9 game. 8/9 are the worst seeds in the Tourney.

HoopS

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 17, 2016, 12:25:22 pm
I'd 100% rather be a 10-12 than be in that 8/9 game. 8/9 are the worst seeds in the Tourney.
also have to remember that seeds are moved up or down a line in order to make sure certain criteria are met.

jry04

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 17, 2016, 12:25:22 pm
I am not saying which I would rather be. Strictly from a season standpoint, if we are a 12 seed, then it means we barely squeaked into the NCAAT and likely finished around .500 or just above .500 in SEC play. If we are an 8 seed we are not sweating it out on Selection Sunday. If you could guarantee we are in as a 12 as opposed to an 8, then yes I would likely rather have that. However, if we have the resume of a 12 as opposed to an 8/9, then there is no guarantee we are in the NCAAT, and the season would be a disappointment. I expect us to be a top 4 team in a much improved SEC next season. I think that would warrant a seed no worse than a 7.

Atlhogfan1

SEC seeding in last 5 NCAAT's:

Just looking at this, recent history says if you are one of the top 2 SEC teams, you can get a solid seed 1-5.  After that, you are around that 8-9 line to barely getting in.  Based on early polls, the SEC may play out this way again.  UK a high seed, then a good seed for a team and a few fighting their way in to that 9-12 seed area. 

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 17, 2016, 01:17:00 pm
SEC seeding in last 5 NCAAT's:

Just looking at this, recent history says if you are one of the top 2 SEC teams, you can get a solid seed 1-5.  After that, you are around that 8-9 line to barely getting in.  Based on early polls, the SEC may play out this way again.  UK a high seed, then a good seed for a team and a few fighting their way in to that 9-12 seed area. 
When it is all said and done, next year the SEC should have 3-4 teams in the top 25. At one point this season, it was expected the SEC would get 5 or 6 teams in the NCAAT. Then, a few teams choked down the stretch, like LSU and SC. I think with the transfers and recruiting classes each team got, UK, A&M, and UF will be top 25 teams. UF got a big time transfer last week, to go with quite a bit coming back and some good recruits. Teams like Auburn, Alabama, Miss St, and Arkansas will be much improved, too. Missouri is the only team I see being terrible next year, where as last season multiple teams in the SEC were terrible.

rzrbackramsfan

29-30 including the sec tourney and ncaat.  I predict we win the sec tourney and regular season. Sweet 16, elite 8.  I predict we lose early on Though.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on May 17, 2016, 01:56:55 pm
When it is all said and done, next year the SEC should have 3-4 teams in the top 25. At one point this season, it was expected the SEC would get 5 or 6 teams in the NCAAT. Then, a few teams choked down the stretch, like LSU and SC. I think with the transfers and recruiting classes each team got, UK, A&M, and UF will be top 25 teams. UF got a big time transfer last week, to go with quite a bit coming back and some good recruits. Teams like Auburn, Alabama, Miss St, and Arkansas will be much improved, too. Missouri is the only team I see being terrible next year, where as last season multiple teams in the SEC were terrible.

The SEC's problem is the "numbers" as in the RPI, the SOS affecting it, having a 14 team conference with an unbalanced schedule with deadweight and having good wins in the non conference.  SC had the worst in conference SOS and scheduled horribly in the non conference setting up their situation.  The teams expected to compete well in the SEC this season need to do themselves and the others a favor by scheduling smartly in the non conf and having quality wins in the non conference.  It helps the "numbers" and the perception which is a part of this.  Because when we get to the conf schedule, there is going to be teams who will get to play the bottom part of the conference more often than the top teams which may help their win total but not their resume.  This is where the Big 12 has gotten a bump.  Their teams get to play the top teams twice with a chance for quality wins and a better SOS.  And their mediocre to pitiful is less.  Too bad we can't give Mizzou back. 

SC is trying to not repeat that mistake:
http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Article/Gamecocks-will-beef-up-non-conference-even-more-45179312

Deep Shoat

I predict we lose horribly against bad teams at least twice.  I predict we win easily against good teams at least twice.  I predict we enter the SECT needing to win 2 in order to make it in comfortably.  I predict we win one, then get choke slammed by a crappy Auburn or Mizzou team, our bubble pops, we win a game or two in the NIT, then get ran out of the building by a decent mid major or mediocre Pac 12 team.  I predict war will break out in Jump Ball between those who wouldn't fire CMA if we lost to the Arkansas School for the Deaf and those who still hate Nolan.  I predict those of us who just want a good basketball team remain frustrated until Mike retires, because he is who he is and we can't fire him.
All Gas, No Brakes!

batmanfan

I'd say top 3 with UK and Florida right now. If Hogs land Aaron Ross I'd say top two with UK.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

jry04

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2016, 02:22:08 pm
I predict we lose horribly against bad teams at least twice.  I predict we win easily against good teams at least twice.  I predict we enter the SECT needing to win 2 in order to make it in comfortably.  I predict we win one, then get choke slammed by a crappy Auburn or Mizzou team, our bubble pops, we win a game or two in the NIT, then get ran out of the building by a decent mid major or mediocre Pac 12 team.  I predict war will break out in Jump Ball between those who wouldn't fire CMA if we lost to the Arkansas School for the Deaf and those who still hate Nolan.  I predict those of us who just want a good basketball team remain frustrated until Mike retires, because he is who he is and we can't fire him.
I predict you make many more stupid posts on here. You get to have your opinion, and I get to have mine.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jry04 on May 17, 2016, 02:48:03 pm
I predict you make many more stupid posts on here. You get to have your opinion, and I get to have mine.
One of us has been right up to this point.

Not one thing about the basketball program looks different than what I predicted the day CMA was announced.

Mediocre at best, but you couldn't get him out with dynamite.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MikePiazza

22-9 (12-6), 1-1 in Nashville for 23-10

7 seed in NCAA Tournament.

Sweet 16 trip, final record 25-11.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 17, 2016, 02:22:08 pm

You've seen this movie before, haven't you?   So have I.

And remember, the School for the Deaf has had some pretty salty teams in its history.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ShadowHawg

I think we will be at 24 wins after the SEC tourney. An 8 seed in the big dance. After that, it's about who gets hot and who doesn't.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 17, 2016, 05:59:53 pm
You've seen this movie before, haven't you?   So have I.

And remember, the School for the Deaf has had some pretty salty teams in its history.
Sadly, it's been on an endless loop since '95...
All Gas, No Brakes!