Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Labaron Philon gives verbal to Bill Self, Kansas

Started by jbcarol, February 02, 2022, 12:34:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

QuoteBaker head basketball coach David Armstrong believes Hornet sophomore Labaron Philon is the best player in the state of Alabama.

Philon has the statistics to back up the claim.

"You can't tell me there is a better player in the state than Labaron."
--Armstrong

Philon, a 6-foot-3 combo guard, scored a career-high 40 points in a win over rival Theodore earlier this week and his overall play has propelled Baker (24-3) to the No. 1 ranking in Class 7A.

"He's an incredible ball handler, and he has a really incredible feel for getting to the rim and getting to his spot where he knows he can make a shot. He's above average shooting the mid-range jumper, and he has really improved his 3-point shooting. He also plays good defense ... when he wants to."
--Armstrong

Philon already has college offers from Ole Miss, South Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Samford and Alabama State. Marquette, Tennessee Tech, Texas, Florida State and UCLA have all shown interest.

"By the end of this summer, Labaron Philon will be a name the entire country knows," Armstrong
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

7A boys SW Regional: Labaron Philon, No. 1 Baker blitz Theodore in final

QuoteNothing about sophomore sensation Labaron Philon surprises Baker boys basketball coach David Armstrong any longer.

The star guard – playing in front of college assistant coaches including Wes Flanigan (Auburn) and Phillip Pearson (UAB) – scored a game-high 29 points Tuesday afternoon as Class 7A No. 1 Baker rolled past rival Theodore 81-53 in the Southwest Regional final at Garrett Coliseum in Montgomery.

"There is no real need for me to say anything to him about college coaches," Armstrong said of Philon. "He's played AAU ball in front of plenty of them. I don't have to tell him how to act. Once he is on the hardwood, all the rest goes away and he just plays. Very seldom does he get rattled."

Philon also had 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. He already has college offers from Ole Miss, South Alabama, Auburn, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Samford and Alabama State.

"Some guys see college scouts and freak out," Philon said. "It's my lifestyle. I don't have to freak out."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Baker basketball star Labaron Philon continues to impress

QuoteAs college offers continue to roll in, Baker rising junior basketball star Labaron Philon continues to work on his game this summer.

Philon – the reigning Class 7A Player of the Year – added an offer from defending national champion Kansas to his long list of suitors last week.

"Labaron is so dedicated to playing the game, I'm not sure he knew how big that was," Baker basketball coach David Armstrong said. "He was walking into a workout and a phone number from Lawrence, Kansas, popped up. Someone had to tell him to answer it.

Philon, a 6-foot-4 guard, averaged 24.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists as a sophomore in helping the Hornets to the Class 7A final four. He hit 77 3-pointers and had 79 steals.

His offers already include Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and South Alabama along with Kansas.

"He is getting calls and interest from all over," Armstrong said. "Duke, Michigan, Indiana. Alabama and Auburn are still calling. He is going to LSU today (Tuesday) for an unofficial visit. It's been fun to watch him grow into a great leader and continue to be a great person and player. It's cool to be his coach."

Armstrong said he doesn't think a Philon college commitment will come soon.

Was second to Barry Dunning, Jr. in state

jbcarol

Baker point guard Labaron Philon releases top schools

By Ben Thomas |

Top 8 Blessed and thanks to all who reach out and recruited me! " Recruitment is still open"💜

QuoteReigning Class 7A basketball player of the year Labaron Philon listed his top 8 schools on Monday.

The 2024 Baker point guard's list includes in-state powers Auburn and Alabama as well as fellow SEC members Arkansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss and national powers Michigan, Kansas and Cincinnati.

Philon said his recruitment is still open.

At 6-foot-4, 177 pounds, Philon is rated the No. 39 player in the nation in the Class of 2024.

The first-team Class 7A All-State selection averaged 24.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists in helping the Hornets to the final four.

He also hit 77 3-pointers and had 79 steals.

jbcarol

Basketball roundup: Labaron Philon sets Baker scoring record

QuoteJunior Labaron Philon, who won the Class 7A Player of the Year award last season, went into Saturday's home game against defending 7A champion Enterprise needing 8 points to become Baker's all-time leading scorer. It took him a little while, but the record fell in the second quarter as the Hornets won 73-62 to improve to 8-3 on the season.

Philon poured in 35 points to move past Lawyer Lilly into first place on the Hornets' scoring list. The 6-foot-4 point guard – who started putting up buckets for Baker in 2020 – has 1,733 points, besting Lilly's 1,705 scored from 2008-12.

On Friday, in a battle between neighbors, Baker outlasted Theodore 70-66 on the road. Philon poured in 23 points in the fourth quarter and finished with 45 to lead the Hornets.

Darius Philon's cousin.

Hogberry Snortcake

jbcarol

Baker PG Labaron Philon averaging nearly 40 points a game

QuoteLabaron Philon's play this year has surprised even Baker High basketball coach David Armstrong.

"I don't know that I would have guessed Labaron would have averaged close to 40 points a game once the season started, but he has taken on a really great leadership role for us," Armstrong said this week in an interview on Mobile's Sports Talk 99.5 FM. "We've been really banged up for most of this year. We've battled sickness. We've battled all kinds of different things. We've only played with everyone written down in the scorebook once all year long, so he has had to take the load of the scoring for us in the bulk of our games."

6-foot-4 junior has responded resoundingly.

He averaged better than 40 points a game for much of the season and is now averaging 37.9 following the Hornets' runner-up finish last week in the Huntsville City Classic.

"Now that we are starting to get guys back, his scoring number has dropped but his assist numbers have gone up and our scoring in games has either stayed the same or gone up over the last four or five games," Armstrong said. "He's done a great job not only carrying this team when we really need him to offensively but also leading and distributing to others now that we are starting to get guys back."

Philon, already Baker's all-time leading scorer, is the reigning Alabama Sports Writers Association Class 7A Player of the Year and a top contender for this year's Mr. Basketball Award. ...

jbcarol

Labaron Philon scores 30 straight points, rallies Baker past LeFlore, closes in on commitment

QuoteBaker basketball coach David Armstrong seldom has to say anything to star point guard and Mr. Basketball contender Labaron Philon.

"His basketball IQ is so high," Armstrong said. "He understands what he needs to do to make the flow of the game go our way."

On Monday morning at South Alabama that meant scoring 46 points – including 36 in the second half – to lead the Hornets to a 67-61 comeback win over LeFlore in the Bridge Builder Classic at the Mitchell Center.

"I'm proud of him for leading this team and pushing them the way he pushes them," Armstrong said of Philon. "He knows he has to do some things when we are struggling shooting the ball outside of him, and tonight he picked up the mantle and led. He talked to the guys on defense. When he was out of the game in foul trouble, he was leading from the bench. The kid is incredibly special. He makes my job easy."

6-foot-4 junior and reigning Class 7A Player of the Year recently cut his list of colleges down to Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee. He said following Monday's game he plans to make a commitment next month, though he added that his recruitment was still "wide open."

whosiskid

Just watched a bunch of his videos on YouTube. As an offensive player I would describe him as: Relentless.  To say he has a high motor is to sell him short. He is only sophomore so he has time to grow a player. The two big negatives that stand out is that he doesn't play at all within an offensive scheme and hid apparent lack of interest in playing defense. On offense he tends to get the ball and proceed to find a way to get a shot off. He is what in my day would be described as a "gunner." He has all the weapons, but isn't the kind of offensive player who makes his teammates better. He is so extraordinary as an offensive player that he gets the points they need, but it is a concern when one guy gets more points than the rest of his team combined. On defense, he does a poor job of staying with his man. He tens to follow the ball rather than his man, so that hid man often has big games. Some of the videos show him on offense only, but the ones that show both teams scoring, it is concerning how often his man scores after LeBaron leaves his man.

Frankly, I'm concerned with his high school coaching. HD has immense talent, but he needs someone to drive home that most elite programs demand solid defense. Maybe his summer league coach can help him. Or maybe this is just a result of him being a sophomore. He is a LOT of fun to watch. In his shooting game he reminds me some of Nick Smith Jr., except Nick is a great passer. But one video sums up his situation right now. In it, he scores 44 of his teams 69 points, but he allows an unranked player on the other team score 46. Honestly,  I LOVE watching him with the ball in his hand, but to play for any of the teams on his final five (which we make), he is going to have to improve his defense a lot. I hope he decides to crack down on defense, because I would love to see a kid with offensive skills play for Arkansas.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Quote from: whosiskid on January 30, 2023, 06:12:59 pmJust watched a bunch of his videos on YouTube. As an offensive player I would describe him as: Relentless.  To say he has a high motor is to sell him short. He is only sophomore so he has time to grow a player. The two big negatives that stand out is that he doesn't play at all within an offensive scheme and hid apparent lack of interest in playing defense. On offense he tends to get the ball and proceed to find a way to get a shot off. He is what in my day would be described as a "gunner." He has all the weapons, but isn't the kind of offensive player who makes his teammates better. He is so extraordinary as an offensive player that he gets the points they need, but it is a concern when one guy gets more points than the rest of his team combined. On defense, he does a poor job of staying with his man. He tens to follow the ball rather than his man, so that hid man often has big games. Some of the videos show him on offense only, but the ones that show both teams scoring, it is concerning how often his man scores after LeBaron leaves his man.

Frankly, I'm concerned with his high school coaching. HD has immense talent, but he needs someone to drive home that most elite programs demand solid defense. Maybe his summer league coach can help him. Or maybe this is just a result of him being a sophomore. He is a LOT of fun to watch. In his shooting game he reminds me some of Nick Smith Jr., except Nick is a great passer. But one video sums up his situation right now. In it, he scores 44 of his teams 69 points, but he allows an unranked player on the other team score 46. Honestly,  I LOVE watching him with the ball in his hand, but to play for any of the teams on his final five (which we make), he is going to have to improve his defense a lot. I hope he decides to crack down on defense, because I would love to see a kid with offensive skills play for Arkansas.

Sorry for the typos. I typed this on my smartphone without reading glasses and way more typos survived than a prefer.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jbcarol

Baker junior point guard Labaron Philon plans to announce college decision Friday

QuotePhilon told reporters following Baker's 69-68 overtime loss to Blount on Tuesday that he will announce his commitment at a school pep rally on Friday.

"I'm just ready," he said. "It's going to be the biggest decision of my life. Everyone is waiting on it. I'm ready to make it happen."

The 6-foot-4 Philon, who scored 25 points on Tuesday before fouling out midway through the fourth quarter, said his choice is already made. His final six are Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

"I'm excited that he is getting close," Baker coach David Armstrong said. "I'm excited to see which one he picks. I think he has a lot of good choices ahead of him, but it will be fun to know and put that behind us going into the playoffs."

Philon, the reigning (and defending) 7A Player of the Year and a contender for Mr. Basketball, has hovered around a 40-point average...

The pep rally Friday is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. (CST) at Baker ahead of the regular-season finale that night at Cottage Hill.

piginstl

jbcarol

Dushawn London@DushawnLondon1
·
Four-star point guard Labaron Philon announced he will make his decision Friday, February 3rd. He broke down each of his finalist with @247Sports

Finalist: Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Kansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee

Story: https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Labaron-Philon-Alabama-Auburn-Kansas-Tennessee-Arkansas-Ole-Miss-204020832

QuoteLabaron Philon, the No. 40 overall prospect in the junior class will make his college announcement Friday, February 3rd.

Philon is down to Alabama, Auburn, Kansas Tennessee, Arkansas, and Ole Miss. So far the recruitment process has gone pretty fast for Philon who has taken one official visit to Auburn and an unofficial to Alabama.

"I made these schools my finalist because I feel like they can add a lot to my game, help me build as a student and as a player. I feel like they can all help me be great, get stronger, and take me to the highest level.

Arkansas: "Coach Musselman is a great coach who can help me get to the next level. I talk to him everyday and we built a relationship by him recruiting me this year."

Kevin McPherson

Not going to be Arkansas, never visited, it's why I did not spend a ton of time covering this young man.

HyperDrive

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein
·
1h
COACHES: If your productive seniors do not have a lucrative professional opportunity and want to keep playing, recruit them harder than a four-star prospect.

How is Fordham 18-4?

Two COVID seniors -- Darius Quisenberry & Khalid Moore -- are having All-Atlantic 10 caliber years.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Auburn commit Labaron Philon named Gatorade Player of the Year

QuoteFor the third straight year, a Mobile-area basketball star has been named Gatorade's Alabama Player of the Year.

Baker junior and Auburn commit Labaron Philon was announced today as the 2022-2023 winner. He follows former McGill-Toolen standout Barry Dunning Jr., who won the last two Gatorade awards.

Philon, a 6-foot-4 point guard, scored more than 1,000 points this season in leading the Hornets to the South Regional title game.

jbcarol

Meet the 2023 All-Coastal Alabama boys basketball team

Auburn commit Labaron Philon leads the 2023 All-Coastal Alabama basketball team.

Dunning, Jr. led group in 2022

QuoteGatorade Alabama Player of the Year and Mr. Basketball candidate Labaron Philon of Baker leads the 2022-2023 AL.com Coastal Alabama All-Region team.

Philon averaged nearly 35 points a game in leading the Hornets to the South Regional semifinal game.

Arky1967

Why in the hell would you want to play for an a$$ like pearl?????

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Philon, a 4-star point guard who was recently named Mr. Basketball in the state of Alabama, shared a statement to On3's Joe Tipton about his decommitment:

Quote"First off, I would like to thank Bruce Pearl, his staff and fans for recruiting me along this journey! After the news of changes in the program and staff, me and my family have to think about my future. With that being said, I would like to re-open my recruitment. Truly and extremely blessed to be recruited by the Auburn family! Couldn't thank you guys enough!"

jbcarol

Zach* Berry@Zach_Berry
·

Baker (Ala.) PG Labaron Philon is one of the most entertaining and viral-worthy prospects in the 2024 class. And now that he has reopened his recruitment,  Ole Miss could be poised to make a move for the No. 1 player in Alabama.

jbcarol

Reigning Mr. Basketball Labaron Philon leaving state :hmmm:

Reigning Mr. Basketball Labaron Philon announced on social media late Saturday night that he would play his final year at Link Academy near Branson

QuoteHe decommitted from Auburn in April and remains uncommitted.

Philon originally committed to Bruce Pearl and Auburn over Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kansas and Tennessee. His other offers include Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas, Louisville, LSU and Penn State.

jbcarol

Former Baker PG and Auburn commit Labaron Philon includes Tide in final 4

QuoteBasketball Labaron Philon has narrowed his college choices to four.

The former Auburn commit told On3 sports that his finalists are Alabama, Ole Miss, Cincinnati and Kansas.

Philon, a 6-foot-4 point guard, transferred to Link Academy in Missouri for his final year. He committed to Auburn in February but de-committed in April after Tiger assistant coach Wes Flanigan left for Ole Miss.

jbcarol

Follow Joe Tipton@TiptonEdits
·

NEWS: Labaron Philon, the No. 31 overall player in the 2024 class, tells me he's committed to Kansas.

The 6-3 PG chose the Jayhawks over Alabama, Ole Miss, and Cincinnati. Former Auburn commit.

Story: https://on3.com/college/kansas-jayhawks/news/kansas-basketball-labaron-philon-commits-to-bill-self-jayhawks

jbcarol

Philon: Thoughts on Kansas' Latest Commit

Jamie Shaw

QuoteSelf struck again, this time landing a commitment from four-star point guard Labaron Philon.

Labaron Philon is the No. 47 player in the 2024 150 and the No. 5 point guard.

6-foot-3, 175-pound guard was formerly committed to Auburn; he also took an official visit to Cincinnati.

Philon has scored 2,334 career points at Mobile (AL) Baker High, including 1,075 last season. In his three varsity seasons, he shot 49.2 percent shooter from the field. Philon transferred to Branson (MO) Link Academy to play his senior season.

How Philon fits in the lineup?
Bill Self's best teams are deep with talented guards. Labaron Philon is a top-50 player, across the board, who has never blinked when the bright lights have come on. Kansas brought in Elmarko Jackson in the 2023 class, but there is a real chance for him to be a one-and-done

"Coach Jeremy Case has been recruiting me for a long time," Philon told On3 in a previous interview. "With me going to Link Academy, Kansas is right there, so I'm pretty sure he's going to visit me a lot. My visit there will probably be a special one. Being a long way from home doesn't really mean anything, but now that I'm going to Link Academy, I'll have a better chance of getting down there and seeing a game in Allen Fieldhouse. So that'll be a good thing."

jbcarol

@TiptonEdits
2024 Top-35 recruit Labaron Philon has requested his release from his National Letter of Intent to Kansas and will reopen his recruitment, a source confirms to @On3Recruits.

Former Auburn commit that also considered Cincinnati, Alabama, and Ole Miss before picking Bill Self.

https://on3.com/college/kansas-jayhawks/news/kansas-4-star-pg-labaron-philon-requests-nli-release-from-jayhawks