Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA is sitting a dangerous president with decision

Started by jbcarol, December 03, 2010, 01:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PinkPig

Okay, I am going to try to ask you all a serious question, and will go ahead and admit my ignorance:

Bama got hammered by the NCAA because a high school coach asked for payment from someone (a Bama booster?) to steer a recruit Bama's way.  Bama got the recruit.  I can't remember if money actually changed hands.  But - to me the key question in that case is whether the NCAA found that the player or the University of Alabama knew about the bribe being offered. 

I know several of you can explain the supposed difference between the sCam recruitment versus the situation at Bama that caused major penalties to be imposed.  I would like to be enlightened on this.  Thanks in advance!
"Censorship of anything, at any time, in any place, on whatever pretense, has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot."
― Eugene O'Neill

Bamafan35652

I will agree we have a dangerous "president".  I look forward to his departure.  I also will acknowledge the NCAA is dangerous, useless, and is setting a dangerous "precedent".
"The quarterback carry is certainly the best carry and one that we have an opportunity that if you play coverage on the remaining players, the numbers are best to run the football." Les Miles

Choctaw Hog

PonderinHog

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on October 12, 2011, 05:14:27 pm
What is wrong with collage athletics??
Don't ask.  Don't tell...

We didn't come to paste...

T I G E R

Quote from: PinkPig on October 12, 2011, 06:09:52 pm
Okay, I am going to try to ask you all a serious question, and will go ahead and admit my ignorance:

Bama got hammered by the NCAA because a high school coach asked for payment from someone (a Bama booster?) to steer a recruit Bama's way.  Bama got the recruit.  I can't remember if money actually changed hands.  But - to me the key question in that case is whether the NCAA found that the player or the University of Alabama knew about the bribe being offered. 

I know several of you can explain the supposed difference between the sCam recruitment versus the situation at Bama that caused major penalties to be imposed.  I would like to be enlightened on this.  Thanks in advance!

Did Memphis go on probation?

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PonderinHog

Grunt

Emmert is a lying fartbubble. Rev Cecil is manning the pulpit with this on his conscience. He will reap a grim harvest. you watch.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

jbcarol

Emmert: NCAA rule book will go through a complete rewrite in August. Focus on things that count.

"Can't turn [Crimson?] Tide back now."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MacHog19

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 03, 2010, 02:19:14 pm
I don't know about Obama being a dangerous president, but I know that we had a dangerous Vice President in Dick Cheney. The Dick Cheney hunting incident occurred on February 11, 2006, when then U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney shot Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old Texas attorney, while participating in a quail hunt on a ranch in Kenedy County, Texas.

I think Harry Whittington was previously employed by the NCAA. (?) Or maybe not... ;)
Well Dick rhymes with Rick and the NCAA has investigated former UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel before, so maybe jbc is onto something....

jbcarol

We are fine with the NCAA maintaining an active online presence. We are fine with the NCAA proactively correcting mistakes. Denuding misinformation is always welcome. The trouble is the heavy-handed, ad hominem attacks which are cruel yet counterproductive.

QuoteNCAA figures are not correcting unfounded criticism with facts. They are discrediting the critic with unfounded questioning of motives. The deliberate twisting of information and gross insinuations deployed are worse than the alleged misconceptions about the NCAA in print. Poynter investigated Nocera's NCAA reporting at length and found no relevant conflict of interest and no evidence the New York Times acted inappropriately. The NCAA's response was to yell the accusations louder.

Ramos defended the NCAA's methods to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

"To be completely cold and dispassionate in every single tweet—this is right, this is wrong—you lose your ability to have impact. Columnists are going to have their opinion, and we're allowed to have our opinion, too, I believe."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but with columnists and PR folk there is a distinction. Columnists are held accountable to their colleagues and their readers. Their words are their own. They can't write deliberate untruths. They must justify accusations, especially against individuals. Ramos and NCAA PR officials have no accountability except to their employer. Their job is to manipulate information in the NCAA's favor. They can hurl crap at people with impunity, hoping it sticks and stinks.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Murr

Quote from: ledhead830 on December 03, 2010, 02:05:37 pm
I know Obama has said some things about the BCS but I don't think the NCAA needs to be too concerned about the sitting president.
U.S. Presidents and Congress needs to stay out of sports and worry about running, fixing, not bucking up this country anymore than they have.

jamie72921

Quote from: jbcarol on February 15, 2011, 01:46:15 pm
Rather than say, that's the way it is like the NCAA used to do, Emmert took time to explain the Kanter decision in detail.

Now Kanter's family received $33,000.33 from a Turkish pro team.  There are a lot of other factors but the bottom line is the NCAA claimed he was not an amateur and $30,000 plus documented is compelling evidence. UK was apparently hoping the NCAA would set a dangerous precedent for European teen club players and was hoping to ride the Cam loophole on appeal.

The NCAA could have rested on "he's not an amateur." In additon, Emmert pointed out that no one else was recruiting the guy making it obvious they knew he would not be eligible. That's a nice factoid, but does the President of the NCAA need to state that? Especially given the following.

Enes Kanter had given a verbal commitment to Washington. The President of the University of Washington at the time was Dr. Mark Emmert.

I fear that when the NCAA chose to sit Dr. Emmert they were sitting a dangerous president.

When are you people going to realize it is the Chris Mills loophole and that there wasn't a special precedent set for Newton. It was set with Chris Mills when Eddie Sutton got caught cheating at Kentucky.
Bless your heart

jbcarol

"Any coach who's using the rules and operating inside the rules to provide them with a competitive advantage," the NCAA's president said Friday, "is certainly within their prerogative."

QuoteHe explained that the rule behind the one-and-done issue was drafted by the NBA and its players' union and that he and others in college athletics don't care a lick for it. Calipari himself says he doesn't like it.

"We're hopeful those rules get changed, but they're not ours to change," Emmert told the questioner.

"Maybe we'll get at least a two-and-done. I don't know where it's going to wind up. But I certainly hope that we can see some change there because I think it makes a travesty of the whole notion of student as athlete."

"If we need to change the rules because we think that's creating an atmosphere that's antithetical to collegiate athletes, then we ought to change the rules," Emmert said. "... I don't think it's appropriate for me to be critical of somebody who's playing inside the rules even though I don't like the rule."

The guideline, generally requiring players to be 19 and at least a year out of high school to enter the league, dates to the NBA's 2005 collective bargaining agreement with its players association. Commissioner David Stern since has advocated a two-year requirement, but union head Billy Hunter has been publicly resistant and the issue was one of several left unresolved in the scramble to reach agreement on a new contract that took effect this season.

The single-year minimum will remain in effect through at least this year's June draft.

"The difficulties of the one-and-done model are pretty self-evident," he said. ". . . I can't say whether they're good or bad for the NBA; that's up to them to decide. But they certainly create the wrong kind of environment for us."

sigpooie

I am sick and tired of The NCAA. This should also include the whole state of Alabama. The rules need to be changed, but the facts are that the schools and the ncaa have cheated thousands of kids and schools that did not cheat, out of a lot of hard work. Emmert is scum and so are the schools that cheated. It's as simple as that.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

jbcarol

Emmert on rules reform: The NCAA rule book is far too complex with too many rules to be enforced.  We are going to shrink the book. Get rid of all the miscellaneous rules that drive people crazy. You can give the kid a bagel and call it a snack. Put Philly Cream Cheese on it and it's a secondary violation. There's no reason why someone should be turning somewhere else for financial support since the NCAA puts out $60 million each year to schools.

Emmert on UK and one-n-dones: The APR measure does not punish for a young man or woman to pursue a professional choice. You have to be a serious student while you are a student. I completely agree with Coach Calipari. I would much rather see the one and done rule change. It is the NBA's decision, not ours.

jbcarol

Live:

Impose sanctions that reflect magnitude of these terrible acts...

Goal not to be just punitive, ... rather that Penn State establish culture where football is not above nurturing and protecting young people...

Tim Harris

Tim Harris

Tim Harris

Tim Harris

jbcarol

1. Fine of $60 million. Funds for endowment to support victims of child sexual abuse.

One year of gross football revenue.

2. Banned from bowls, post season for four years.

3. Scholarship reductions for four years.

4. Immediate transfers allowed.

5. Any remaining athlete will get to keep scholarship if academically eligible.

6. Vacate wins from 1998 to 2011.

jbcarol

Five year probation.

Right to add more sanctions if more stuff comes out.

jbcarol

RazorPiggie

Tim Harris

I bet Bill Obrien is wishing he had stayed at New England.

95_alum

cam21

Wow, Ladies and Gents we are witnessing the end of Penn State University as we know it..they were right about the death penalty being better smh

intoxhog

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Pulled(PP)pork

and TomDavidEsq said nothing was going to happen, because the NCAA has no precedent......lol

Pulled out...

Dionysos25

Peen St. just got reamed. NCAA isn't worthless after all.  *slow clap*
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

jbcarol

July 23, 2012, 08:22:45 am #82 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:12:29 am by jbcarol
Penn St. Trustee to ESPN: "Thought moving the statue of Joe Paterno inside would have been enough."

Tim Harris

Quote from: Dionysos25 on July 23, 2012, 08:20:26 am
Peen St. just got reamed. NCAA isn't worthless after all.  *slow clap*

I don't know if I would go that far.  They have a long ways to go to not be worthless in my book.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 23, 2012, 08:11:28 am
Anyone can transfer and immediately compete

This is largely why I'll argue against anyone who whines about how the sanctions hurt the Penn State athlete. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: jbcarol on July 23, 2012, 08:22:45 am
Penn St. Trustee on ESPN: "Thought moving the statue of Joe Paterno inside would have been enough."

If someone truely said that then they are a dumbass.

oldrazorband

Penn St. Trustee on ESPN: "Thought moving the statue of Joe Paterno inside would have been enough."

Seriously?  Incredible

SONofHAM

The vacation of wins since 98 seems pretty harsh. 

Then again they let a rapist get away with whatever he wanted for decades.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Wildhog

daaaaaaamn. 

No bowls.  -10 schollies/year.  5 year probation.

Oh, and give us $60M.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

So, does Penn State have any good four and five star guys up for grabs that we might be after?  ;)
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

weresoclose

Death penalty would have been preferable for PSU.  I prefer the message of shutting the thing down, but this is worse.  Way to go, Emmert.

Hogchick

Please tell me that is a joke.

jbcarol

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

Quote"In the Penn State case, the results were perverse and unconscionable," Emmert said.

"No price the NCAA can levy with repair the damage inflicted by Jerry Sandusky on his victims," he said, reffering to the former Penn State defensive coordinator convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse last month.

"We cannot look to NCAA history to determine how to handle circumstances so disturbing, shocking and disappointing," Emmert said in the statement. "As the individuals charged with governing college sports, we have a responsibility to act. These events should serve as a call to every single school and athletics department to take an honest look at its campus environment and eradicate the 'sports are king' mindset that can so dramatically cloud the judgment of educators."

SONofHAM

Franco Harris came across really stupid the other day when he was saying Penn St won't back down from threats.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Hawg Balling

Quote from: oldrazorband on July 23, 2012, 08:25:26 am
Seriously?  Incredible

The Penn State BOT is probably the largest grouping of worthlessness this side of Congress.  They were too cowardly to deal with the backlash of removing Paterno's statue themselves, so they pawned that decision off on the President in order to give themselves plausible deniability when the student/alumni backlash started.  Gutless. 

tusksincolorado

FINALLY.....Now let  the Civil Trials and Damages begin. Then hopefully continuing with the Criminal Trials of Board and Administators.

This is a Witch Hunt that HAD to HAPPEN!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

MrKnowItAll

Local news and reaction from Penn State. The comments to the articles by fans are very telling.

http://www.pennlive.com/jerry-sandusky/

Hawg Balling

Quote from: ZERO on July 23, 2012, 08:26:14 am
So, does Penn State have any good four and five star guys up for grabs that we might be after?  ;)

They had a 4 star DT decommit the other day and commit to North Carolina.  They also have a big time 5 star QB out of Virginia who was going to wait and see how the situation with the sanctions play out before reaffirming or reneging on his commitment.  Surely he'll reopen his recruitment after today's announcement. 

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: SONofHAM on July 23, 2012, 08:25:37 am
The vacation of wins since 98 seems pretty harsh. 

Then again they let a rapist get away with whatever he wanted for decades.

The purpose is to be punitive to JoePa and his legacy.  He is no longer the winningest coach in NCAA history.