Started by daprospecta, March 02, 2016, 10:16:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daprospecta

I'll shut up and listen.........

ShadowHawg

daprospecta

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 02, 2016, 10:17:14 pm
NIT for sure
We were an 8 seed before tonight for the NIT, if we get to 20 wins, we may be a one seed.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daprospecta on March 02, 2016, 10:18:06 pm
We were an 8 seed before tonight for the NIT, if we get to 20 wins, we may be a one seed.

Oh. Thanks for the info. :)

Uncommon

I don't think we were in the NIT before tonight.  After tonight we're in for now.  Now we're on the bubble.  A senior day win against South Carolina could really help cement us in.

daprospecta

Quote from: Uncommon on March 02, 2016, 10:19:46 pm
I don't think we were in the NIT before tonight.  After tonight we're in for now.  Now we're on the bubble.  A senior day win against South Carolina could really help cement us in.
This is the site I used for our 8 seed prediction.  This is of course, before tonight's win.
http://bracketmatrix.com/nit

Danny J

I think u are right. We need to beat USC to be in comfortably.

Uncommon

Quote from: daprospecta on March 02, 2016, 10:21:39 pm
This is the site I used for our 8 seed prediction.  This is of course, before tonight's win.
I know.  I just wouldn't trust that site.  I use a metric that is very accurate in NCAA Tournament at large bid selection therefore is good at NIT projection.  Here's what the metric has for the NIT seeding through Tuesday's games:
1 Seeds
Michigan
George Washington
USC
Butler

2 Seeds
Florida
Washington
Princeton
Ohio State

3 Seeds
Gonzaga
Houston
Georgia Tech
Florida State

4 Seeds
Marquette
LSU
Davidson
UNC Wilmington

5 Seeds
Clemson
UC Irvine
Boise State
Virginia Tech

6 Seeds
UCLA
Northern Iowa
William & Mary
IPFW

7 Seeds
BYU
Georgia
Creighton
James Madison

8 Seeds
Georgetown
Kansas State
Evansville
Ohio

On the Outside Looking In
1 Rhode Island
2 Arkansas

lynbug

But remember the "what have you done lately" issue.  We desperately need to win 2 games in Nashville, I think.

lefty08

Hell, I never realized Lunardi posted here
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Uncommon

Quote from: lynbug on March 02, 2016, 11:05:36 pm
But remember the "what have you done lately" issue.  We desperately need to win 2 games in Nashville, I think.
No question just win the games we are seeded to win.  Don't pull a 2013 and lose to South Carolina.

1 seed = 3 wins
2 seed = 2 wins
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, or 12 seed = 1 win
9, 10, 13, or 14 seed = 0 wins

yraciv

Quote from: daprospecta on March 02, 2016, 10:21:39 pm

This appears to be prior to conference regular season champs getting automatic bids after losing their conference tournament.  There were 5 of those who would have not gone an at large last year to the NIT.

Adam Stokes

If we were to win out from here, going 6-0, our RPI might not even break the top 50.  Lose in the SEC finals and our RPI is in the mid 60's with barely one top 25 win and four bad losses.  Our poor play in non-con kept us from making the tourney this year.

Iwastherein1969

If we had just beaten Dayton and Wake Forest  and not lost to Mercer and Auburn....we're in like Flynn
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 03, 2016, 04:31:13 am
If we had just beaten Dayton and Wake Forest  and not lost to Mercer and Auburn....we're in like Flynn
Dayton has better talent and better coaching than Arkansas but always has the "ifs". Sometimes the opponent is just better.

MountieDawg

The win last night put Bama in the NIT... Hogs could make it if most regular season Conf winner also win their Conf tourney.
SEC!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 03, 2016, 02:49:17 am
If we were to win out from here, going 6-0, our RPI might not even break the top 50.  Lose in the SEC finals and our RPI is in the mid 60's with barely one top 25 win and four bad losses.  Our poor play in non-con kept us from making the tourney this year.

best case scenario, other than winning SECT, is reaching the finals with victories over UF, UV and UK, those 3 would certainly help our sos and rpi....

all said, with all the losses that teams start accumulating now, standings, rankings and RPI's are changing rapidly.... we get in the finals at 20-14, on an 8 game win streak and my guess we'd get an ncaa bid....

any 2 wins and we're a lock for NIT....

jry04

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 03, 2016, 06:26:39 am
The win last night put Bama in the NIT... Hogs could make it if most regular season Conf winner also win their Conf tourney.
Yeah, but put a team in the NCAAT that was considered in the NIT, so it is not relevant to us. What is relevant to us is the 1 bid leagues. If a regular season champ doesn't win their conference tourney then it hurts our ability to make the NIT.

DeltaBoy

We win 20 and we get the NIT,  Go Crazy and win the SEC tourney and we go to the Dance.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Captain Morgan

Too many on HV only watch the Razorbacks and know nothing about the rest of the SEC or college basketball in general. I'm prepared to eat grow of they win the SEC tournament but I don't see it. This team lacks the depth on post players to compete with bigger teams on a neutral court. Arkansas outside shooters must be on fire for 4 straight games on 4 straight days. Sorry guys I don't see it.

jry04

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 03, 2016, 08:57:58 am
Too many on HV only watch the Razorbacks and know nothing about the rest of the SEC or college basketball in general. I'm prepared to eat grow of they win the SEC tournament but I don't see it. This team lacks the depth on post players to compete with bigger teams on a neutral court. Arkansas outside shooters must be on fire for 4 straight games on 4 straight days. Sorry guys I don't see it.
Has anyone in this thread even said we have a chance to win the SECT?

Only chance we have of winning the SECT is to have a really hot shooting week, and have UK on the opposite side of the bracket and get eliminated before playing us.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 03, 2016, 06:56:54 am
best case scenario, other than winning SECT, is reaching the finals with victories over UF, UV and UK, those 3 would certainly help our sos and rpi....

all said, with all the losses that teams start accumulating now, standings, rankings and RPI's are changing rapidly.... we get in the finals at 20-14, on an 8 game win streak and my guess we'd get an ncaa bid....

any 2 wins and we're a lock for NIT....
This team is not going dancing unless they win the SEC tournament. If your event happened then it would only be two quality wins (Aggies and Kentucky) while still having 4 terrible losses.  ;)

But if they do pull off the miracle in Atlanta then TommyBeeHog, azhog and others should get their wish of a Anderson statue in front of the new practice facility.  :)

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Uncommon on March 02, 2016, 10:29:19 pm
I know.  I just wouldn't trust that site.  I use a metric that is very accurate in NCAA Tournament at large bid selection therefore is good at NIT projection.  Here's what the metric has for the NIT seeding through Tuesday's games:
1 Seeds
Michigan
George Washington
USC
Butler

2 Seeds
Florida
Washington
Princeton
Ohio State

3 Seeds
Gonzaga
Houston
Georgia Tech
Florida State

4 Seeds
Marquette
LSU
Davidson
UNC Wilmington

5 Seeds
Clemson
UC Irvine
Boise State
Virginia Tech

6 Seeds
UCLA
Northern Iowa
William & Mary
IPFW

7 Seeds
BYU
Georgia
Creighton
James Madison

8 Seeds
Georgetown
Kansas State
Evansville
Ohio

On the Outside Looking In
1 Rhode Island
2 Arkansas

that's a lot of good teams with brand recognition .... watering down the NCAA has really improved the NIT....

onebadrubi

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 03, 2016, 08:12:13 am
We win 20 and we get the NIT,  Go Crazy and win the SEC tourney and we go to the Dance.

Wow thanks captain obvious

Uncommon

NIT Tournament Seeding Update
1 Seeds
Cincinnati
George Washington
Michigan
Florida

2 Seeds
Alabama
Washington
Princeton
Gonzaga

3 Seeds
Ohio State
Houston
Georgia Tech
LSU

4 Seeds
Florida State
Virginia Tech
Boise State
Marquette

5 Seeds
UNC Wilmington
Clemson
UC Irvine
Davidson

6 Seeds
Kansas State
Creighton
BYU
Northern Iowa

7 Seeds
William & Mary
Georgia
IPFW
UCLA

8 Seeds
James Madison
Georgetown
Arkansas
Evansville

TNhawgfan

Quote from: lefty08 on March 02, 2016, 11:11:04 pm
Hell, I never realized Lunardi posted here
All the experts are on this site lefty
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogwood

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 03, 2016, 04:31:13 am

For sure! We can still pull an SECT run though!

daprospecta

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 03, 2016, 09:10:37 am
This team is not going dancing unless they win the SEC tournament. If your event happened then it would only be two quality wins (Aggies and Kentucky) while still having 4 terrible losses.  ;)

But if they do pull off the miracle in Atlanta then TommyBeeHog, azhog and others should get their wish of a Anderson statue in front of the new practice facility.  :)
I would call Vanderbilt a quality win.  They are projected to go dancing.  Alabama was #49 in rpi going into last night's game.  There is a soft bubble this year.  I think I'm fine with the NIT this year but I think getting to the SEC tourney and making it respectable would have us considered on the bubble.

Uncommon

Beating Alabama on the road was a quality win.  Got 5 of those now.

5 Quality Wins (Wins against teams ranked better than #71)
at #57 Alabama
#67 LSU
#26 Texas A&M
#31 Texas Tech
#47 Vanderbilt

6 Bad Losses (Losses against teams ranked lower than #71)
#152 Auburn
#86 Georgia
#203 Mercer
#140 Mississippi State
#98 Ole Miss
#168 Wake Forest

cityhog

Quote from: Uncommon on March 03, 2016, 03:20:44 pm

at #57 Alabama
#67 LSU
#26 Texas A&M
#31 Texas Tech
#47 Vanderbilt

#152 Auburn
#86 Georgia
#203 Mercer
#140 Mississippi State
#98 Ole Miss
#168 Wake Forest

Where is USC-E? Too lazy to look it up? Could that be #6 good win?

Uncommon

Quote from: cityhog on March 03, 2016, 04:00:29 pm
Where is USC-E? Too lazy to look it up? Could that be #6 good win?
I didn't put them in there because that game hasn't happened.  Yes, South Carolina would be a good win if we were to defeat them Saturday.  They're ranked #39 currently.

phadedhawg

It would be kind of interesting if they pitted Arkansas vs Little Rock in first round of NIT. 

It would be the most interesting NIT game for us since Arkansas State.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 03, 2016, 06:41:12 pm
It would be kind of interesting if they pitted Arkansas vs Little Rock in first round of NIT. 

It would be the most interesting NIT game for us since Arkansas State.
We would run them out of the place....they wouldn't know what hit them. They have no one to match up with Kingsley and if Hannahs/Bell are anywhere close to normal a 40 point win for the Hogs and national humiliation would await YOU AH LER.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hogsanity

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 03, 2016, 07:56:19 pm
We would run them out of the place....they wouldn't know what hit them. They have no one to match up with Kingsley and if Hannahs/Bell are anywhere close to normal a 40 point win for the Hogs and national humiliation would await YOU AH LER.

IS the game in BWA or in LR............
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwahogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on March 02, 2016, 10:16:38 pm
I'll shut up and listen.........
Yes if those 20 wins were against the right opponents.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Uncommon on March 03, 2016, 03:20:44 pm

at #57 Alabama
#67 LSU
#26 Texas A&M
#31 Texas Tech
#47 Vanderbilt

#152 Auburn
#86 Georgia
#203 Mercer
#140 Mississippi State
#98 Ole Miss
#168 Wake Forest

Unless occurring at home, losses against the top 150 aren't generally classified as bad. Sub 150, absolutely.

Something I'm surprised isn't getting mentioned is the fact that we will very likely get some respite for losses without Beard in the lineup. Had he started from day one, I don't think we lose to Stanford, Wake, or Mercer (I know he played in this one, but it's hard to count the kids first game of the year - still no excuse for playing in Little Rock...I mean, losing to Mercer). Who knows if he'd have had enough impact to affect the Akron or Ga Tech games.

Say what you will about this team, but any realist knew this season was going to be an uphill battle. When you factor in Beard's absence with the number of ultra close losses, it's hard not to view this year as overwhelmingly positive. Yeah we've lost a lot of games, but look around college basketball, it's nuts this season.

I don't think we belong in the NCAAT and only an SECT championship is getting us there, but if that were to happen, there'd be a lot of 3/4 seeds really hoping they didn't draw the 13/14 Hogs. When this team is hot, they can shock people. The problem is, true talent is going to outclass us and easily prevent us from getting hot.