Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quality Wins

Started by Jonteviosk, February 24, 2016, 01:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 12:05:41 pm
So me then.  I thought we had a back and forth thing going bro.   :(

Edit:  TBH I'm modifying my diet and taking blood pressure meds, and with that I'm trying to take a more chill view of what other people think and how I can't control it. Most if not all of the things I say should be taken with the tiniest grain of salt, and you should know that I would probably say them to my best friends and strangers alike.  I'll support almost any coach, I've said before I kinda thought Pel got a raw deal.

Yes, I think we had a miscommunication there somewhere.  No biggie, it happens -- usually it's with my kids in texting!!

I support our coaches as well, as long as I believe they deserve that support.  At this point, I believe Mike has earned my support, and I have not called for him to be fired at this time.

IMO there are issues that Mike's teams bring to the table that deserve criticism, regardless of win totals.  I dislike the very poor fundamentals in several important areas.  IMO there are really no excuses for some of that.  It's simply poor coaching, and Mike is our coach, so that goes on him.

Regardless, it's his job to produce a winning program, and one that wins enough to be a perennial top 15 program year in and year out.  Anything less than that SHOULD be unacceptable, no matter who the freaking coach is.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Captain Morgan

I now have the issue of Joneltevisch or whatever his name sending me PMs telling me to grow up. Wow.

The defense is getting personal even though it shouldn't. Its sports people... Its not life

Dropkick

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 26, 2016, 01:07:53 am
I now have the issue of Joneltevisch or whatever his name sending me PMs telling me to grow up. Wow.

The defense is getting personal even though it shouldn't. Its sports people... Its not life
If he cusses at me again I'm gonna try and help him get a vacation.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 08:56:21 am
If we had some clearly defined expectations it would help. Is it NCAAT 7 out of 10 seasons? Is it Sweet 16 3 times in 10 years? Is it 20+ wins every year?

And I do not think anyone here hates Mike Anderson the man. I don't. I have never met him, from all indications he is a good guy. I hate losing to Auburn at home. I hate seeing them score 12 points in a half against Mercer. I hate seeing them beat the #5 team in the country then get run out of the gym by a team like Miss St. I hate seeing them sign the lowest ranked recruiting class in the SEC. I hate watching the NCAAT selection show and not seeing the Hogs. And i would hate all of those things REGARDLESS of who the coach is.
And your perspective on it makes you more of a hater in regard to MA.

Some will defend MA to no end and take the worst view of BB possible.
Some will support both to no end and these are the "sunshine pumpers."
Some will look for the worst in both MA and BB and spend most of their time on here complaining.
You happen to be the type who sees mostly good in BB and mostly bad in MA despite the fact that their results are largely similar.

I happen to be in the group that just tries to see things as they are. I love that we beat a #5...and I hate that we lost at home to Auburn. You simply just hate we beat a #5 and then lost a game.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 12:21:30 pm
Regardless, it's his job to produce a winning program, and one that wins enough to be a perennial top 15 program year in and year out.  Anything less than that SHOULD be unacceptable, no matter who the freaking coach is.
Anything less than finishing top 15 every year is unacceptable? It's been 20 years since we ended the season ranked in top 15. How many other programs, in any sport, expect to be perennially ranked top 15 to end the season that haven't done so in 20 years?
No matter who the coach is, I'm not expecting to be top 15 every year for quite a while. We just haven't been that type of program for quite a long time. That's like a fan of San Francisco expecting perennial elite results b/c they won back to back titles about 60 years ago.
Let's get a little more realistic and then build from there.

Dropkick

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 26, 2016, 06:11:50 pm
Anything less than finishing top 15 every year is unacceptable? It's been 20 years since we ended the season ranked in top 15. How many other programs, in any sport, expect to be perennially ranked top 15 to end the season that haven't done so in 20 years?
No matter who the coach is, I'm not expecting to be top 15 every year for quite a while. We just haven't been that type of program for quite a long time. That's like a fan of San Francisco expecting perennial elite results b/c they won back to back titles about 60 years ago.
Let's accept mediocrity because that's where we are, where we have been for quite some time and where we are headed with this staff.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Dropkick on February 26, 2016, 07:17:34 pm
Let's accept mediocrity because that's where we are, where we have been for quite some time and where we are headed with this staff.
Good sized difference between accepting mediocrity and expecting to be top 15 every year. The results from the last 20 years simply do not dictate that expectation. At this point, it seems like reasonable folks are expecting to be perennial, or darn close at least, NcaaT participants. If that happens, then the expectations will grow from there.

porkinsons disease

I have no expectations from this staff anymore. It "is what it is". Go Hogs
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Dropkick on February 26, 2016, 03:15:40 pm
If he cusses at me again I'm gonna try and help him get a vacation.
Amazing the Anderson apologists can post all kinds of bash others stuff; sending PMs like stalkers. Some of the PMs I get from that bunch are just nuts.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 26, 2016, 06:11:50 pm

What possible difference does make how.long it's been since we were a CBB power?? How long had it been before Baylor was a CBB power? Or Oregon? Or Northern Iowa?

If you don't think perennial top 15 should be our standard, then you are out of touch with reality.

What are we lacking that would prevent that from happening? We've got some of the best facilities in the nation, and play in a conference where putting a good ballclub on the floor would get an NCAA birth every year.

As long as fans accept mediocrity we'll have mediocrity.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

azhog10

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 27, 2016, 09:51:18 am
What possible difference does make how.long it's been since we were a CBB power?? How long had it been before Baylor was a CBB power? Or Oregon? Or Northern Iowa?

If you don't think perennial top 15 should be our standard, then you are out of touch with reality.

What are we lacking that would prevent that from happening? We've got some of the best facilities in the nation, and play in a conference where putting a good ballclub on the floor would get an NCAA birth every year.

As long as fans accept mediocrity we'll have mediocrity.
Seriously? You use Baylor as an example or Northern Iowa? Those are good clubs but typically in uNI's case you see them do well for a two or three year stretch then phase out. Since 2000 Baylor has made the NcaaT less than we have. The difference is the fans and their expectations. Are you saying over a course of 13 years you'd be satisfied with 5 NCAAT appearances (two elite eights, NIT in year six after making NCAAT round of 64 in year 5 for first time)? Of course not. We are complaining about a round of 32 appearance in year 4 after making the NIT in year three, a possible NIT appearance in year 5 (yes I know it's not 100%). You act like it happened over night with Baylor or UNI.....it took time, and now Baylor is in a position basketball wise they haven't been in, in a long time. But to act like it happened as soon as Drew walked through the door, it didn't. And by most of hogville 'a standards Scott Drew would have been gone after year four and Baylor wouldn't be The Baylor it is today.

If our fans are accepting mediocrity what was Baylor fans doing their first 4 seasons when they only won 36 total games? It took mike less than 5 seasons to hit 100 wins. Drew needed 7 seasons to reach that mark. But yes we are accepting mediocrity that other fan bases like Baylor wouldn't accept.

maggiesue

Jontevioak, you must be a guy who loves mediocrity....nothing special about that list at all.  Please look at Auburn at home and Miss St. On road and not showing up against Kentuxky on national TV and choke against Standord and Georgia and blowout loss at mediocre Ole Miss and I will stop there and listen.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 25, 2016, 09:57:10 am
This thread is stupid, why not list what you feel are quality wins without name calling? are you 12?

That being said however, complaining about a Mod double standard? grow a pair. sheesh.

OK I'll play along. Here's my list:

Thank you.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rickfahr

If you are counting quality wins against freakin' Evansville, that should tell you all you need to know.

It's called "a stretch".

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 10:46:01 am
But, winning cures all ills ... eventually.

There will be room on the bandwagon for you next year.  ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 24, 2016, 11:14:44 am
Calling other HV posters who disagree with your opinion "trash". That's just classy. Better topics got sent to Vent and Rumors and this one stays?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
That is Fair weather trash to you, my good sir.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

MountieDawg

Last years team may have had less quality wins than this team... They only had one top 25 win last year against SMU that was minus a key starter at the time... They key was last years team avoided the bad losses.  If this team could have avoided the bad losses it would have 20 wins easy.

Last season record with KenPom Ratings

KenPom   Team   W/L
1   UK                   L
1   UK                     L
11   Iowa State   L
11   N Carolina   L
23   SMU            W
36   Vandy           W
37   Dayton        W
39   Georgia       W
39   UGA            W
44   LSU              L
45   Florida        L
50   Ole Miss       L
50   Ole Miss          W
57   Bama           W
62   Texas  A&M   W
67   S Carolina   W
67   S Carolina   W
80   Clemson            L
86   Wofford           W
89   Tenn            L
89   Tenn           W
89   Tenn           W
102   Iona             W
124   Wake          W
147   Auburn        W
179   Miss State   W
179   Miss St           W
198   Milwaukie    W
214   Mizzou           W
214   Mizzou           W
234   NW State     W
245   Delaware State   W
246   North Texas           W
260   Alabama State   W
262   Missouri State           W
328   Utah Valley St       W
SEC!

Captain Morgan

As of now Aggies win is the only quality win and only win vs a ranked opponent  :(

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 01, 2016, 04:28:54 pm
Last years team may have had less quality wins than this team... They only had one top 25 win last year against SMU that was minus a key starter at the time... They key was last years team avoided the bad losses.  If this team could have avoided the bad losses it would have 20 wins easy.

Last season record with KenPom Ratings

KenPom   Team   W/L
1   UK                   L
1   UK                     L
11   Iowa State   L
11   N Carolina   L
23   SMU            W
36   Vandy           W
37   Dayton        W
39   Georgia       W
39   UGA            W
44   LSU              L
45   Florida        L
50   Ole Miss       L
50   Ole Miss          W
57   Bama           W
62   Texas  A&M   W
67   S Carolina   W
67   S Carolina   W
80   Clemson            L
86   Wofford           W
89   Tenn            L
89   Tenn           W
89   Tenn           W
102   Iona             W
124   Wake          W
147   Auburn        W
179   Miss State   W
179   Miss St           W
198   Milwaukie    W
214   Mizzou           W
214   Mizzou           W
234   NW State     W
245   Delaware State   W
246   North Texas           W
260   Alabama State   W
262   Missouri State           W
328   Utah Valley St       W

SMU had actually fallen out of the AP poll from losing twice the previous week. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

southarkhog06

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 28, 2016, 08:17:17 am
OK I'll play along. Here's my list:

Thank you.
not even A&M, harsh critic.

My point is there is not a lot of basketball discussion going on, just a lot of "you're a big dummy" "no you are a big dummy" and "he started it" "no he started it"

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 04, 2016, 12:43:12 pm
not even A&M, harsh critic.

My point is there is not a lot of basketball discussion going on, just a lot of "you're a big dummy" "no you are a big dummy" and "he started it" "no he started it"

Justifiably so, because he IS a big dummy, and he DID start it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 29, 2016, 07:36:11 pm
There will be room on the bandwagon for you next year.  ;)

I'm sure you noticed, but I don't do bandwagons.  Last year I was ripped by many of your ilk for daring to point out deficiencies in that 27 win team, even during wins.

southarkhog06

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 04, 2016, 01:20:36 pm
Justifiably so, because he IS a big dummy, and he DID start it.
Well, I stand corrected.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 04, 2016, 01:22:40 pm
I'm sure you noticed, but I don't do bandwagons.  Last year I was ripped by many of your ilk for daring to point out deficiencies in that 27 win team, even during wins.
As you should have as result of flaws that existed.  ;)

HoopS

All teams have flaws. But when you're being very negative during the best season in two decades, you certainly should expect to catch some heat. At least he admitted he was here doing that. Funny some others act like it was just swell here during that 27 game run. No it wasn't. Some folks had the redass throughout the whole season -- almost like they were mad we were winning ballgames.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoopS on March 04, 2016, 08:02:15 pm
All teams have flaws. But when you're being very negative during the best season in two decades, you certainly should expect to catch some heat. At least he admitted he was here doing that. Funny some others act like it was just swell here during that 27 game run. No it wasn't. Some folks had the redass throughout the whole season -- almost like they were mad we were winning ballgames.

It's basketball, for freaking sakes!!  It's not life or death, or anything remotely truly important in life.

I like talking about basketball.  If there were a handful of folks here in Jumpball who also really understood the game of basketball that weren't so darned worried about anything that might possibly reflect poorly on poor little Mike Anderson, then it would be great fun to talk about the games being played, both good and bad, win or lose.

But that is never going to happen.  And that is a pathetic fact.  That's more a statement about today's culture than Jumpball IMO, but it doesn't make it more palatable for me.

"2016: The year everyone is offended by everything."

Jonteviosk

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 04, 2016, 11:55:49 pm
It's basketball, for freaking sakes!!  It's not life or death, or anything remotely truly important in life.

I like talking about basketball.  If there were a handful of folks here in Jumpball who also really understood the game of basketball that weren't so darned worried about anything that might possibly reflect poorly on poor little Mike Anderson, then it would be great fun to talk about the games being played, both good and bad, win or lose.

But that is never going to happen.  And that is a pathetic fact.  That's more a statement about today's culture than Jumpball IMO, but it doesn't make it more palatable for me.

"2016: The year everyone is offended by everything."

Not quite Donald Trump supporters aren't offended by anything he does lol.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HoopS

March 05, 2016, 07:38:39 am #77 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:12:02 am by HoopS
Some have said things were great here last year and I'm just saying no, we argued about almost every facet of every win last year just like we do now. Didn't matter that it was our best year in a good while. We had people so mad they quit posting. Hog fans. Mad that we won or how we won. And then getting their feelings hurt when people didn't agree with them.

I do agree that our society is full of crybabies and people who get offended that the sun always rises in the east, why not the west some days? Who can we sue to make that change?

MA is not above criticism. Hang around me enough and you'll see me do it plenty. But people try to say we would all be happy if we just won more. No we wouldn't. Some will not be happy as long as MA is here just like some weren't happy with HDN or Petrino or now BB. Some are going to have the redass. Maybe you're one of them, maybe not. But you could guarantee that if you wanted to read a repeated argument, all you had to do was come here and read. There was no celebrating a fun season. Negativity overwhelmed it. The best thing about this season is every time we win lately, those who said we'd score 60 a game and win 12 games tend to disappear a few days. Very few can admit they were wrong.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HoopS on March 05, 2016, 07:38:39 am
Some have said things were great here last year and I'm just saying no, we argued about almost every facet of every win last year just like we do now. Didn't matter that it was our best year in a good while. We had people so mad they quit posting. Hog fans. Mad that we won or how we won. And then getting their feelings hurt when people didn't agree with them.

I do agree that our society is full of crybabies and people who get offended that the sun always rises in the east, why not the west some days? Who can we sue to make that change?

MA is not above criticism. Hang around me enough and you'll see me do it plenty. But people try to say we would all be happy if we just won more. No we wouldn't. Some will not be happy as long as MA is here just like some weren't happy with HDN or Petrino or now BB. Some are going to have the redass. Maybe you're one of them, maybe not. But you could guarantee that if you wanted to read a repeated argument, all you had to do was come here and read. There was no celebrating a fun season. Negativity overwhelmed it. The best thing about this season is every time we win lately, those who said we'd score 60 a game and win 12 games tend to disappear a few days. Very few can admit they were wrong.
HoopS, I think if they don't have a second round exit to the same school that knocked Pelphrey out in the 2nd round in 2008 then people would have been more happy. Regular season success means nothing if you can't do what hasnt been done since 1996 which is get to the second weekend of the tournament. That's where the negativity lies.

I put it this way:

Appearance in Sweet Sixteen >>>>> 27 regular season wins.  :P

HoopS

I wasn't happy we lost to UNC but it was not a good matchup for us and I knew it when the bracket was announced.

But the arguements were during the season just as much as after the season. I lived it. Would be happy about a win only to not really even be allowed to enjoy because our rotation was questioned, or Jacorey shot too much, or Madden dribbled too much, or Harris took some ill advised shots, or Mike didn't draw up a great inbounds play, or Mike didn't get a tech when Nolan would have, etc,..

Every win. Didn't matter. People were mad. Those of us who were happy were sunshine pumper or members of some sycophant army bs.

This forum is not to pull together and celebrate our team. It is to argue and bemoan and belittle every good thing that happens and then wonder why people don't agree.

And that's ok. Live life however you see fit. Look to find the negative and enjoy arguing about it daily. Seems to be a miserable life to me, but what do I know.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoopS on March 05, 2016, 09:27:42 am
Every win. Didn't matter. People were mad.

This is a a falsehood, a distortion, which is a typical tool of Mike's Sycophant Army.

And, yes, it IS bs, and has been since the beginning.

HoopS

March 05, 2016, 10:04:21 am #81 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:19:50 am by HoopS
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 05, 2016, 09:58:11 am
This is a a falsehood, a distortion, which is a typical tool of Mike's Sycophant Army.

You know how insane some of them looked.  That's fine. We all witnessed it. Mods cleaned up messes every game.

And I honestly don't remember if *you* were one of them. Maybe not. But to say it wasn't happening just is not accurate.

I modified this post because I'd rather not even go there again. I do enjoy much of what you bring, believe it or not. We just simply will not agree about what was going on last season. I'm sorry but I moderated the stuff myself.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 05, 2016, 09:58:11 am

Selective memory. So you didn't do it but why defend the people who did?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on March 04, 2016, 08:02:15 pm

Overly sensitive.  Guess that is why that pygmy version of Hogville exists for those who need shelter and don't want to pay one of the leeches for it. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HoopS

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 05, 2016, 11:44:10 am
Overly sensitive.  Guess that is why that pygmy version of Hogville exists for those who need shelter and don't want to pay one of the leeches for it. 

I am right here.