Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quality Wins

Started by Jonteviosk, February 24, 2016, 01:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

Because some fair weather trash on here cant help bring up our bad losses this year...Heres our so;id to good wins.

12-08     Evansville   21-7 (11-5) 82  89-76  W
  01-05     Vanderbilt   16-11 (8-6) 65  90-85  W
$$  01-27     Texas A&M   20-7 (9-5) 25  74-71  W
$$  01-30     Texas Tech   17-9 (7-7) 24  75-68  W
  02-23     LSU   16-11 (9-5) 88   85-65 W

So for those who can only point out our bad losses shut the hell up its not all doom and gloom considering our off season.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Inhogswetrust

How many of this are going dancing? Probably two.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jonteviosk

Honestly wont know for a few weeks lol
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 24, 2016, 01:44:49 am
Honestly wont know for a few weeks lol

But right now IF the field were announced today I'd bet only 2 out of the five..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jonteviosk

Well if you look Texas Tech has a good rpi so maybe 3, Tech A & M and Evansville

intelligence

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 24, 2016, 01:50:18 am
Well if you look Texas Tech has a good rpi so maybe 3, Tech A & M and Evansville
IIRC they are in the last 4 in

PonderinHog

And Vandy spanked Florida in Gainesville last night.

TNhawgfan

If you think these 5 wins make up for blowing a huge lead late against Stanford, losing at Wake Forrest, losing a home game to Mercer, losing in OT at Georgia when we should have won in regulation, and losing to a woefully terrible Auburn team at the Bud then you have no standards for basketball
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Inhogswetrust

I remember when great wins were against Kentucky, UCLA, Houston, North Carolina, etc.....................................

hogsanity

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 24, 2016, 01:32:27 am
Because some fair weather trash on here cant help bring up our bad losses this year...Heres our so;id to good wins.

So for those who can only point out our bad losses shut the hell up its not all doom and gloom considering our off season.

I I like how we are told to not break any rules of posting after a loss, but you are allowed to name call after a win. 

Quality wins? The team is .500, I don't care if they beat the #1 team in the country. They did beat A&M when they were #5, and it got them nothing. It actually makes it worse, they are capable of beating #5, but can't beat the likes of Auburn AT HOME. Right now LSu has to be the most disappointing team in the country, and they are not going to the NCAAT unless they win the sect. How is beating them, AT HOME, a quality win? 

This team has 2 "quality" wins, A&M and TT, and both were at home. Evansville would be a quality win if the Hogs were fighting for a NCAAT bid, but all it is is an early season home ooc win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ironhawg

So you thought it would be a good idea after a win over the corndogs, when everybody is happy, to come on here and call those who disagree with you trash?  Good choice.  Where are the mods?

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 24, 2016, 08:52:22 am
I I like how we are told to not break any rules of posting after a loss, but you are allowed to name call after a win. 

No doubt a double standard there.

bigdaddyhawg

Because some fair weather trash on here ...shut the hell up ...

It does seem like FCJ's alter ego has made an appearance.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Captain Morgan

Calling other HV posters who disagree with your opinion "trash". That's just classy. Better topics got sent to Vent and Rumors and this one stays?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Uncommon

I think the 5 quality wins is equaled by the 5 bad losses.  Ironically similar to our 14-14 record.  So although the Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, LSU, and Evansville wins are nice, you also have to take into account the losses to Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, and Mercer.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Uncommon on February 24, 2016, 11:28:14 am
I think the 5 quality wins is equaled by the 5 bad losses.  Ironically similar to our 14-14 record.  So although the Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, LSU, and Evansville wins are nice, you also have to take into account the losses to Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, and Mercer.
and Akron too. No way a program like Arkansas should EVER lose to Akron at home

BigSexyHog

This thread is 100% fail.  . 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

yraciv

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 24, 2016, 01:42:19 am
How many of this are going dancing? Probably two.

Likely 3, Vandy or LSU will be there as long as they win a couple of their big games left.  Vandy is looking good after last night.

hogsanity

Quote from: yraciv on February 24, 2016, 12:38:36 pm
Likely 3, Vandy or LSU will be there as long as they win a couple of their big games left.  Vandy is looking good after last night.

All of the prognosticators say LSu has to win out AND at least make the SECTCG but more than likley win the sect to get in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dropkick

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 24, 2016, 11:14:44 am
Calling other HV posters who disagree with your opinion "trash". That's just classy. Better topics got sent to Vent and Rumors and this one stays?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
He won't be here long.......

Uncommon

February 24, 2016, 01:14:54 pm #20 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:29:06 pm by Uncommon
Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 24, 2016, 11:35:16 am
and Akron too. No way a program like Arkansas should EVER lose to Akron at home
I was going by what an optimal 14-14 season would look like by winning from the bottom-up.  For example, here are the rankings of the opponents as of Sunday that we've played thus far and putting wins by the bottom 14 teams and losses by the top 14 teams:
W #209 Southern
L #74 Akron
W #296 Charleston Southern
L #64 Georgia Tech
L #57 Stanford
W #338 Northwestern State
W #141 Wake Forest
L #84 Evansville
W #132 Tennessee Tech
W #172 Mercer
W #183 North Florida
L #18 Dayton
L #20 Texas A&M
L #61 Vanderbilt
W #144 Mississippi State
W #184 Missouri
L #68 LSU
L #19 Kentucky
L #80 Georgia
L #20 Texas A&M
L #22 Texas Tech
L #42 Florida
W #101 Tennessee
W #144 Mississippi State
W #94 Ole Miss
W #137 Auburn
W #184 Missouri
L #68 LSU
#101 Tennessee
#34 Alabama
#32 South Carolina

That would be the optimal 14-14 with a 7-8 conference record.  LSU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Evansville, and Vanderbilt are games we should've lost in an optimal 14-14 but won and Mercer, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Auburn are games that we should've won in an optimal 14-14 but lost.

Many, like myself, would've liked to have gotten to 18 regular season wins (same amount as Mike's 1st season).  With Tennessee being in a ranking range that is winnable, you add that as win #15 and pick the 3 worst teams remaining which are #84 Evansville, #80 Georgia, and #74 Akron giving us 18-13 (9-9).

W #209 Southern
W #74 Akron
W #296 Charleston Southern
L #64 Georgia Tech
L #57 Stanford
W #338 Northwestern State
W #141 Wake Forest
W #84 Evansville
W #132 Tennessee Tech
W #172 Mercer
W #183 North Florida
L #18 Dayton
L #20 Texas A&M
L #61 Vanderbilt
W #144 Mississippi State
W #184 Missouri
L #68 LSU
L #19 Kentucky
W #80 Georgia
L #20 Texas A&M
L #22 Texas Tech
L #42 Florida
W #101 Tennessee
W #144 Mississippi State
W #94 Ole Miss
W #137 Auburn
W #184 Missouri
L #68 LSU
W #101 Tennessee
L #34 Alabama
L #32 South Carolina

If that was your expectation, Akron, Wake Forest, Mercer, Georgia, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Auburn were bad losses since they are games we should've won while Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and LSU were quality wins since they are games we should've lost but won.

So if you had a 14-14 expectation at this point in the season, there are 5 quality wins and 5 bad losses.  If you had a 17-11 expectation at this point in the season, there are 4 quality wins and 7 bad losses.

The best part of the season thus far was the week we beat Texas A&M and Texas Tech.  The worst part of the season was the back to back to back losses to Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Auburn.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 24, 2016, 09:05:26 am
No doubt a double standard there.
This is the issue here. I'm completely okay with rainbows and unicorns posters post their opinion. I just have an issue with the name calling which Jontevosch or whatever his name is does on Jump Ball and Recruiting forum. Its fine to give out points and arguments without taking cheap shots at everyone who disagrees  ;)

Dropkick

Quote from: Captain Morgan on February 24, 2016, 03:11:26 pm
This is the issue here. I'm completely okay with rainbows and unicorns posters post their opinion. I just have an issue with the name calling which Jontevosch or whatever his name is does on Jump Ball and Recruiting forum. Its fine to give out points and arguments without taking cheap shots at everyone who disagrees  ;)
He, she or it is only seeking attention. Much liked a spoiled child throwing a tantrum.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on February 24, 2016, 04:14:49 pm
He, she or it is only seeking attention. Much liked a spoiled child throwing a tantrum.

with enabling parents

Marshfieldhog

Actually these stats make me feel even worse about our season. I actually think we had a little better talent than playing .500 ball against a so-so schedule.

Uncommon

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 24, 2016, 05:09:03 pm
Actually these stats make me feel even worse about our season. I actually think we had a little better talent than playing .500 ball against a so-so schedule.
I think 17-19 wins at this point in the season with our schedule is not asking too much in my opinion considering our average ranking over the last 4 seasons is #71.  That 3 game stretch at Mississippi State, at Ole Miss, and Auburn was awful.  Really killed the season.

Disclaimer: Not anti Mike.  Currently think he should be back next season.

majp51

Quote from: Uncommon on February 24, 2016, 05:22:32 pm

Disclaimer: Not anti Mike.  Currently think he should be back next season.

Good Heavens, how thin skinned do the CMA fanss have to be that someone like uncommon has to post that disclaimer?

Nipsey Mussle

I was very pleased with the win last night. I didn't watch the Mizzou game and probably wouldn't have watched last night's game either, if I hadn't gotten tickets long ago for me and my Lsu friend. In the end, I was thrilled that I went. We played good, all around ball.

Nipsey Mussle

I wish more people could just post what they are feeling and somehow, some way, be objective. Those who hate MA, he has not been as bad as some of your posts indicate. There are some who will say he can do no wrong, also, which shouldn't.

For me:

The negative: He needs to do a better job of recruiting. And I don't think we will ever be elite with him at the helm.

The positive: He gets a lot out of his players and will average 20 wins or more during his time here.

Can we start with a clean slate and just go with what we truly think? There are less than 5% on here who are objective.

wheelspigharvey

The foaming mad haters have been pretty well contained as of late.  I think the people who consistently post even if I disagree are clearly fans and give it as much thought as I do if not more. Some people only post to complain and usually just show up when something bad happens, those are the folks I don't care about rubbing the wrong way.

I also think tone can be hard to convey.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 24, 2016, 07:46:47 pm
I wish more people could just post what they are feeling and somehow, some way, be objective. Those who hate MA, he has not been as bad as some of your posts indicate. There are some who will say he can do no wrong, also, which shouldn't.

For me:

The negative: He needs to do a better job of recruiting. And I don't think we will ever be elite with him at the helm.

The positive: He gets a lot out of his players and will average 20 wins or more during his time here.

Can we start with a clean slate and just go with what we truly think? There are less than 5% on here who are objective.

Sure. Negatives that come to mind off the hip are:  he needs to be more adaptive in terms of scouting opponents, in game adjustments, and recruiting. Positives are he's never had a losing record and his preferred style of play resonates with the fanbase historically.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

hogsanity

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 24, 2016, 07:46:47 pm

For me:

If we had some clearly defined expectations it would help. Is it NCAAT 7 out of 10 seasons? Is it Sweet 16 3 times in 10 years? Is it 20+ wins every year?

And I do not think anyone here hates Mike Anderson the man. I don't. I have never met him, from all indications he is a good guy. I hate losing to Auburn at home. I hate seeing them score 12 points in a half against Mercer. I hate seeing them beat the #5 team in the country then get run out of the gym by a team like Miss St. I hate seeing them sign the lowest ranked recruiting class in the SEC. I hate watching the NCAAT selection show and not seeing the Hogs. And i would hate all of those things REGARDLESS of who the coach is. 

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on February 25, 2016, 08:56:21 am
If we had some clearly defined expectations it would help. Is it NCAAT 7 out of 10 seasons? Is it Sweet 16 3 times in 10 years? Is it 20+ wins every year?

And I do not think anyone here hates Mike Anderson the man. I don't. I have never met him, from all indications he is a good guy. I hate losing to Auburn at home. I hate seeing them score 12 points in a half against Mercer. I hate seeing them beat the #5 team in the country then get run out of the gym by a team like Miss St. I hate seeing them sign the lowest ranked recruiting class in the SEC. I hate watching the NCAAT selection show and not seeing the Hogs. And i would hate all of those things REGARDLESS of who the coach is.

I disagree with some of stuff you say but what I really can't stand is when for example I'm following a game thread half of it is and people who are clearly taking glee in our struggles. Or they act like I went on a hunger strike to get Pel fired and want us to name the court after Mike.

JayBell

2016 Jump Ball is beginning to rival 2006-2007 MMQB.  Well, I guess it has for a while now.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 09:27:36 am
I disagree with some of stuff you say but what I really can't stand is when for example I'm following a game thread half of it is and people who are clearly taking glee in our struggles. Or they act like I went on a hunger strike to get Pel fired and want us to name the court after Mike.

That's why I don't post in the game threads.

southarkhog06

This thread is stupid, why not list what you feel are quality wins without name calling? are you 12?

That being said however, complaining about a Mod double standard? grow a pair. sheesh.

HoopS

Quote from: JayBell on February 25, 2016, 09:47:32 am
2016 Jump Ball is beginning to rival 2006-2007 MMQB.  Well, I guess it has for a while now.
it was actually toxic last year, during the best season we've had in 2 decades. I don't think it'll ever be a peaceful place as long as MA is here.

nwahogfan1

I hope you are not bragging over these wins when you look at all the ugly loses we can bring up like losing to Ms St by how many 30+ or at home to Auburn.  Come on.  Bring me something.

Mike is winning about 25% of his road SEC games.  He only won 35% of his road Big 12 games.  He better recruit well because he apparently not going to out coach anyone.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 25, 2016, 09:54:41 am
That's why I don't post in the game threads.

I pretty much try only to lurk, and I only check it if I can't watch the game on TV or radio. 

yocdaddy

I'm sorry but expecting more than mediocrity 5 years in does not make me a fair weather fan.  I love it when the Hogs win and I hate it when we lose.  Mike Anderson has proven every year that he can beat a good team or two.  He has also proven that he can lose to the worst teams on our home schedule.  I just want a more consistent program.  I'm tired of the roller coaster.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoopS on February 25, 2016, 10:04:11 am
it was actually toxic last year, during the best season we've had in 2 decades. I don't think it'll ever be a peaceful place as long as MA is here.

It'll never be a peaceful place, period ...  UNLESS

The guy who replaces CMA returns the Razorbacks to the top of the CBB world, as they were during Nolan's reign.

And even then, it would take the Mike Anderson Sycophant Army years and years to get over the loss of their beloved coach, and then THEY'LL be the darksiders.

But, winning cures all ills ... eventually.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HoopS on February 25, 2016, 10:04:11 am
I disagree, the 27 wins are meaningless when the exit came in the first weekend of the tournament. In 1996 they made the sweet 16 so it was actually the best season in 19 years. Problem is Anderson got as far as Pelphrey: 2nd round loss to Roy Williams and North Carolina. Not best team in 20 years but best team in 19 yrs 😉

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 10:46:01 am

And even then, it would take the Mike Anderson Sycophant Army years and years to get over the loss of their beloved coach, and then THEY'LL be the darksiders.

How big is this so-called "army?" I can only think of one poster who posts with positive view of Mike and can't argue without going ad hominem.

HoopS

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 10:46:01 am
It'll never be a peaceful place, period ...  UNLESS

The guy who replaces CMA returns the Razorbacks to the top of the CBB world, as they were during Nolan's reign.

But, winning cures all ills ... eventually.
not big on the labels and name calling.

Anyway, you're right.

And once that coach or whoever starts winning big enough, another coach maybe in any other sport will become the one those who really love to stir it up will start in on.

Me? I will support whoever we hire from Day 1 and will not pull that support until I decide to. I'm not one for name calling nor aimlessly following others. I do my own research and decision making.

redleg

Obviously, Arkansas' only hope of making the NCAA Tourney is to win the SEC Tourney. I don't see that happening, although stranger things have happened.
I see the Hogs best chances at post-season play is to win 2 of their final 3 regular season games (or all three), and then win a couple of games in the SEC Tournament, which is doable since they will probably start off in the first round, or maybe the second. That would get them into the NIT. That's not where I want them, but I'll take it considering how this season has gone.
The 2016-17 squad is looking like a possible contender in the SEC (IF Kingsley returns).
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

JayBell

Quote from: HoopS on February 25, 2016, 10:04:11 amit was actually toxic last year, during the best season we've had in 2 decades. I don't think it'll ever be a peaceful place as long as MA is here.

If Anderson won 25+ games every year and made a couple of trips to the Sweet 16, I think fans would be just giddy.  There were a ton of warning signs in the first half of last season before they finally caught fire after that dreadful loss to LSU.  It would have been fantastic if Arkansas followed that up with a good season.  Instead, Anderson may have his first losing season.

The debate is over "success."  Right now, Anderson's "success" at Arkansas can just as easily be described as "mediocrity" or "middling."  Achieve a level of success more fans can agree on and fans will love the coach.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HoopS on February 25, 2016, 10:53:44 am
Me? I will support whoever we hire from Day 1 and will not pull that support until I decide to. I'm not one for name calling nor aimlessly following others. I do my own research and decision making.

Very laudible, IMO.

As for me, I have resisted the name calling and labeling, but every single time I'd post ANYTHING even remotely negative about Mike, his Sycophant Army would come at my with every intention to destroy and demolish me into a place where I'd never come on here again.

And it worked many times.  Then I said "enough", and I decided to fight back.  See, I believe I see Mike for the coach he is, which is what I knew he was before he was hired.  No surprises.  So, I don't have a lot of problem with Mike, per se.  But I do have serious problems with his Sycophant Army.

Having said that, I will freely say this: their rhetoric has toned down a lot this year.  And although Jump Ball is still not a very good place to come to really talk basketball, this year's Hog results have brought some humility to that group of folks and it's not as bad as it was last year, when they would allow only love and admiration of MA.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 25, 2016, 10:53:35 am
How big is this so-called "army?" I can only think of one poster who posts with positive view of Mike and can't argue without going ad hominem.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 11:48:52 am
So, I don't have a lot of problem with Mike, per se.  But I do have serious problems with his Sycophant Army.

Having said that, I will freely say this: their rhetoric has toned down a lot this year.  And although Jump Ball is still not a very good place to come to really talk basketball, this year's Hog results have brought some humility to that group of folks and it's not as bad as it was last year, when they would allow only love and admiration of MA.

HoopS

Back in the day you could recognize HDale Nutt Darksiders by our decoder rings. I had a couple. This Sycophant Army bunch seem to be stealthier if I'm being honest.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2016, 11:50:50 am

So me then.  I thought we had a back and forth thing going bro.   :(

Edit:  TBH I'm modifying my diet and taking blood pressure meds, and with that I'm trying to take a more chill view of what other people think and how I can't control it. Most if not all of the things I say should be taken with the tiniest grain of salt, and you should know that I would probably say them to my best friends and strangers alike.  I'll support almost any coach, I've said before I kinda thought Pel got a raw deal.