Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TJ Carpenter (810 WHB KC) was just on 99.5 Hog Sports Radio and said

Started by mike_the_geek, February 18, 2016, 01:13:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_the_geek

that the major problems are that MA is lazy (complacent) and that the coaching staff doesn't scout the opposing teams at all to prepare for games, so we're not taking advantage of things that would help us win more.  He also said he hoped that Mizzou would beat us this weekend to wake up the PTB and wake up MA and the staff.   Thoughts?  I'll hang up and listen..

Reesedogg000

Glad somebody in the media is finally saying it. I have been saying it for years. It's been out there but it's finally becoming more public knowledge. Laziness with scouting reports and obviously lazy with recruiting.

The_Iceman

North Carolina was a great example last year. Any smart coach would know the last thing you want to do with that team is to try and run with them. They had way better athletes than us. But Mike would rather play his way than play to win.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2016, 01:18:23 pm
North Carolina was a great example last year. Any smart coach would know the last thing you want to do with that team is to try and run with them. They had way better athletes than us. But Mike would rather play his way than play to win.

I used to ask, is MA incapable of doing anything else or unwilling to do anything else? I always hoped it was unwilling, because that can be fixed, but this year has convinced me he is unable. Anyone that looked at his roster and thought it was capable of playing a high intensity/speed type game was just crazy, yet that is what he did. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Torqued pork

To my knowledge MA has never had the intensity to light a fire under a player's butt much less a whole team, but I'll be nice and say he's just laid-back to an extreme degree.

mike_the_geek

TJ said he felt certain that MA is capable of doing a better job as the coach based on prior records with UAB and Mizzou, but for some reason he just isn't.  His explanation was MA being too complacent in the job.  I've been thinking about it and really can't come up with any better explanation.  Although i'm no BB expert by any means, what i saw in the game last night was obvious to me and my kids - total lack of adjustment in how we were playing.  If those 2 Aub guys are punkin' you with 3's, then you quit trapping and put your best defenders on them to stick like glue and try to contest every shot.  We forced 20+ turnovers last night and were about even on rebounding, but those open-look 3's outweighed those factors in my opinion.

Boardon Hamsay

I bet the new basketball practice facility's film room has both VHS and Betamax technologies.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hogsanity

Quote from: mike_the_geek on February 18, 2016, 01:28:41 pm
TJ said he felt certain that MA is capable of doing a better job as the coach based on prior records with UAB and Mizzou, but for some reason he just isn't.  His explanation was MA being too complacent in the job.  I've been thinking about it and really can't come up with any better explanation.  Although i'm no BB expert by any means, what i saw in the game last night was obvious to me and my kids - total lack of adjustment in how we were playing.  If those 2 Aub guys are punkin' you with 3's, then you quit trapping and put your best defenders on them to stick like glue and try to contest every shot.  We forced 20+ turnovers last night and were about even on rebounding, but those open-look 3's outweighed those factors in my opinion.

If it was just that game sure, you pass it off as he had a bad game, which happens, but we have seen this pattern over and over and over here, and in his last 2 seasons at Mizzu. How many times has a team just gone off shooting on the Hogs? happens several times every season. Why? Because he refuses to change.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

The thought of complacency certainly crossed my mind too, sometimes when you finally get where you always wanted to be you lose that fire and desire to put in that extra, sometimes it's a natural tendency to want to just kick back, relax, and enjoy the scenery.

Now as far as not scouting the opposition, there is no way for him to know that so he is just throwing something out there to see if it sticks. Even the word scouting as it was once used can be thrown away in today's game with the technology available, you can scout an opponent and never leave the office. This isn't the old days where you sent out an assistant to go actually watch the other team in action to bring back a scouting report.

Sivad

The_Iceman

Even the greatest Mike defender, Bo Mattingly, is showing doubt today on his show. He questioned: "Did Mike miss his window."

LRHawg

Quote from: mike_the_geek on February 18, 2016, 01:13:41 pm
that the major problems are that MA is lazy (complacent) and that the coaching staff doesn't scout the opposing teams at all to prepare for games, so we're not taking advantage of things that would help us win more.  He also said he hoped that Mizzou would beat us this weekend to wake up the PTB and wake up MA and the staff.   Thoughts?  I'll hang up and listen..

It won't matter. Mike has had a long time now to "wake up" and realize what is not working and what is. Also, I doubt Long even begins that thought process until the torches and pitchforks show up next season midway through when we're at the bottom of the conference again with our "savior" Juco players.

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on February 18, 2016, 01:29:21 pm
I bet the new basketball practice facility's film room has both VHS and Betamax technologies.

LOL

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2016, 02:23:49 pm
Even the greatest Mike defender, Bo Mattingly, is showing doubt today on his show. He questioned: "Did Mike miss his window."

Mikes window here was when he left UAB.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2016, 02:00:21 pm
The thought of complacency certainly crossed my mind too, sometimes when you finally get where you always wanted to be you lose that fire and desire to put in that extra, sometimes it's a natural tendency to want to just kick back, relax, and enjoy the scenery.

Now as far as not scouting the opposition, there is no way for him to know that so he is just throwing something out there to see if it sticks. Even the word scouting as it was once used can be thrown away in today's game with the technology available, you can scout an opponent and never leave the office. This isn't the old days where you sent out an assistant to go actually watch the other team in action to bring back a scouting report.

I think when saying "scouting" it is meant to include film breakdown and team prep.  This has been something said about him before he got to Arkansas especially by Mizzou fans when he was there.  It goes back to Nolan and his statements about wanting teams to have to prepare for what he does and if his teams do what they are supposed to they will have success and practices are focused on working on what we do vs what the opponents do.  Nolan could say things like that especially when winning.  This is where Mike's repeating what Nolan once said doesn't carry the same message and fans don't buy it. 

I have some doubts this was totally true with Nolan as I saw some practices back in the day and you saw some game plans specific to opponents.  Nolan said things in a blustery way that weren't always true as we know like the stupid Burger King AA comments when he had teams with multiple McD AA's.  Mike tries repeating them now.  And Nolan's "cut off the head" philosophy on D was an example of how he and his staff prepared his teams for opponents.  I do have my doubts Mike and this staff is nearly as strong in preparing their teams and I have my doubts enough time is spent breaking down opponents with the team.  But it is speculation.  If they are, then they are failing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2016, 02:23:49 pm

Maybe.  This is so frustrating it has taken this long for these discussions to finally be happening.  Discussions and topics some tried raising years ago. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jusgtohogs

Well, clearly, if TJ Carpenter says it, it must be so.  Did you ever hear his show when he was in NWA?  Frankly, if he warned me a bridge was out, I'd keep going because he is not an expert.

jkstock04

Quote from: mike_the_geek on February 18, 2016, 01:28:41 pm
Well...Jeff long extended his contract through 2020. And I would wager he was told that no matter what happens this season you are 100% safe.

Think about that a minute. I mean, what kind of incentive or motivation does that give someone to perform at a high level?

I hate bashing on Mike Anderson because I was one of the fans in favor of the hire. But it's time to start calling a spade a spade.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rude1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 18, 2016, 02:30:07 pm
I think when saying "scouting" it is meant to include film breakdown and team prep.  This has been something said about him before he got to Arkansas especially by Mizzou fans when he was there.  It goes back to Nolan and his statements about wanting teams to have to prepare for what he does and if his teams do what they are supposed to they will have success and practices are focused on working on what we do vs what the opponents do.  Nolan could say things like that especially when winning.  This is where Mike's repeating what Nolan once said doesn't carry the same message and fans don't buy it. 

I have some doubts this was totally true with Nolan as I saw some practices back in the day and you saw some game plans specific to opponents.  Nolan said things in a blustery way that weren't always true as we know like the stupid Burger King AA comments when he had teams with multiple McD AA's.  Mike tries repeating them now.  And Nolan's "cut off the head" philosophy on D was an example of how he and his staff prepared his teams for opponents.  I do have my doubts Mike and this staff is nearly as strong in preparing their teams and I have my doubts enough time is spent breaking down opponents with the team.  But it is speculation.  If they are, then they are failing. 
That's my point. Anyone definitely stating that the staff doesn't scout the opponent is just throwing stuff out there for effect, because there is no way they would know whether that is true or not. Matter of fact I remember Coach Z on the radio last year after our selection into the NCAA tourney, talk about the process of the practices and when they would get into the part of the practices which entailed putting in the scouting report so the team would know what players to look out for.

John Nabors

He definitely was speaking more from a alumnus/fan side of it than a radio guy. Stirred up a hornets nest with that one.
Twitter: @RushJohnNabors

www.hitthatline.com

tysonr7

Here is the full interview:
https://soundcloud.com/theforumwithjohnnabors/kc-sports-radio-host-tj-carpenter-says-the-arkansas-basketball-program-is-a-shell-of-its-former-self
Halftime every day from 12-2 on ESPN Arkansas

AirWarren

Ok.

Hawg414

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on February 18, 2016, 09:55:07 pm
who would rather lose with it than win doing any other thing

thats the dumbest, most latched-onto argument every time someone prefers a different "style."  theres a particular poster who ran with this assumption in football too.. as if it was fact.  doubtful you can find a single person who would prefer to LOSE with one style over WIN with another. 

southeasthog

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 18, 2016, 02:39:23 pm
Well...Jeff long extended his contract through 2020. And I would wager he was told that no matter what happens this season you are 100% safe.

Think about that a minute. I mean, what kind of incentive or motivation does that give someone to perform at a high level?

I hate bashing on Mike Anderson because I was one of the fans in favor of the hire. But it's time to start calling a spade a spade.
Coaches with a fire to compete and win shouldn't need to have incentives to perform at a high level. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Reesedogg000 on February 18, 2016, 01:16:24 pm
Glad somebody in the media is finally saying it. I have been saying it for years. It's been out there but it's finally becoming more public knowledge. Laziness with scouting reports and obviously lazy with recruiting.

It was good enough for Nolan, why isn't it good enough for Mike?

/sarcasm off
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PigBrother

Two weeks ago (after the A&M game) people were talking about how well Mike was doing with the players he has.  Maybe the best job in the SEC.

Now, this.  Maybe, understandably so after a really bad losing streak.

There is a considerable athleticism gap between us and every opponent we play... we are on the short of the stick.  I NEVER thought I would say that about a Mike Anderson coached team.

From all indications, the four guys coming in are more athletic than everybody on the roster expect Moses.  It should make for a good 2016-17 season.

I like Mike!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg414 on February 19, 2016, 03:37:50 am
thats the dumbest, most latched-onto argument every time someone prefers a different "style."  theres a particular poster who ran with this assumption in football too.. as if it was fact.  doubtful you can find a single person who would prefer to LOSE with one style over WIN with another.

The Heath era contradicts this.  "I hate that Big 10 ball.  It is so boring." 

Razorpigg

Since when do we pay ANY attention to TJ Carpenter??  Most of the times he says anything he gets blasted, but now that it fits some peoples agenda he is a saint. Wow

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorpigg on February 19, 2016, 10:02:18 am
Since when do we pay ANY attention to TJ Carpenter??  Most of the times he says anything he gets blasted, but now that it fits some peoples agenda he is a saint. Wow

I don't know who he is. 

tigers68

The notion that Mike Anderson doesn't do alot of game prep for specific opponents came directly from Kim English, who played under Anderson while at Mizzou.  He flat out stated that Anderson did little to no game prep for upcoming opponents, for any of the three years that English played for him.

chiti66

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tigers68 on February 19, 2016, 10:05:35 am
The notion that Mike Anderson doesn't do alot of game prep for specific opponents came directly from Kim English, who played under Anderson while at Mizzou.  He flat out stated that Anderson did little to no game prep for upcoming opponents, for any of the three years that English played for him.

Again, I think there may be something to it.  Anderson does a lot of what Nolan did including repeating what he said.  Nolan, especially when he had good teams, focused on his team and preparing them as he knew they were good enough at how Nolan wanted to play to force their will and pace on the majority of opponents.  And if they did, what the opponents usually did well and how they played would be different.  We know it is part of what the system is intended to do.  To make opponents uncomfortable and play outside their norm.  Take shots from different spots than normal.  Shoot quicker than normal.  It is about imposing on the opponent more than taking away what the opponent does. 

Problems come in when opponents attack it well.  And the weaker we are, the better it can be attacked. 

So I don't doubt English although he did seem like a disgruntled player.  He played on some good Mizzou teams who could impose themselves on opponents. 

Uncommon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 18, 2016, 02:34:18 pm
Maybe.  This is so frustrating it has taken this long for these discussions to finally be happening.  Discussions and topics some tried raising years ago.
I agree with most that it is now time to start discussing if Mike is the answer moving forward but any discussions before that were premature.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Uncommon on February 19, 2016, 10:31:17 am
Oh please.  I agree with most that it is now time to start discussing if Mike is the answer moving forward but any discussions before that were premature.

No they weren't.  Some of this should have been pondered before he was hired.  Little that is playing out now wasn't mentioned during his time at UAB or Mizzou.  We've never hired a coach we were more familiar with than Anderson.  These aren't new concerns.  The only thing that may be new is Mike's inability to get enough players to play how he wants to play.  He hasn't been able to do it at Arkansas.  The other questions from before he was hired are all still there. 

colavito

He's making over $2,000,000 and knows he's not going anywhere any time soon.  I really believe he could care less.  Nolan had more fire in his little finger than MA has in his whole body.  He lets the refs eat his lunch EVERY game and does nothing but stand there with his hands on his hips.  What a gig.  Almost like being a federal judge or congressman.

RazorChuck

I wonder what this team would be like if it had not lost so much from last season?
If there had been additions in stead of losses in personal.
Maybe we would be the excellent team everyone seems to think we are?

hogsanity

Quote from: Uncommon on February 19, 2016, 10:31:17 am
I agree with most that it is now time to start discussing if Mike is the answer moving forward but any discussions before that were premature.

The time to start discussing it was after the collapse in 2014. A team that beat Ky twice could not even get a split at the end with a putrid Bama and a lousy SC team to get into the NCAAT. Then they went to Cal in the NIT and got rolled. That team at the end of the season looked EXACTLY like what we have seen the last three games. Alot of the concerns being brought up now were brought up then, but of course were brushed aside with " oh don't pick on poor Mike, he just has to have time to get his players in here " Well, every single player on this roster was recruited and signed by Mike Anderson.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2016, 10:40:52 am
The time to start discussing it was after the collapse in 2014. A team that beat Ky twice could not even get a split at the end with a putrid Bama and a lousy SC team to get into the NCAAT. Then they went to Cal in the NIT and got rolled. That team at the end of the season looked EXACTLY like what we have seen the last three games. Alot of the concerns being brought up now were brought up then, but of course were brushed aside with " oh don't pick on poor Mike, he just has to have time to get his players in here " Well, every single player on this roster was recruited and signed by Mike Anderson.

Too much was made of the UK wins especially the second one.  I remember catching hell afterwards stating that and doubting it was going to lead to anything.  He has had two teams in recent years, his last Mizzou team and '14 Hogs team, tank the end of the season. 

But the time to have considered some warnings/concerns was before we hired him.  That was impossible though so many were excited about the return. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 19, 2016, 10:51:25 am
Too much was made of the UK wins especially the second one.  I remember catching hell afterwards stating that and doubting it was going to lead to anything.  He has had two teams in recent years, his last Mizzou team and '14 Hogs team, tank the end of the season. 

But the time to have considered some warnings/concerns was before we hired him.  That was impossible though so many were excited about the return. 

Believe me I caught all manner of flack here before he was hired for saying it was not the greatest of ideas. Every problem we have seen come to fruition was talked about by a small group of us back then.

razorcash2

This is basically what he was taught by Coach Richardson, and Richardson is on the record as saying such things.
Difference is, Richardson could get away with this strategy, as he generally speaking had far more talent than Anderson does.
Stubborn thinking will be his demise...Whether it's with recruiting, his staff, or his approach to game-time.

userpick

I firmly believe our basketball program will continue to suffer no matter who the coach is as long as Jeff Long is the director of athletics.

count of bacon

CMA is a Boys and Girls Club type coach.
"Try to encourage,  Fatherly figure, Teach the basics"  But this is Div 1 BB in a major sports conference. I'll even say, he's probably a great neighbor. (But) the bottom line is,  he gets paid way too much for what we as fans have been getting.  I would keep going-on, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

GO HOGS GO       Woo Pig

bigdaddyhawg

I believe this thinking goes back to Nolan, who was open about his philosphy: "We don't really care what they do, because we're going to impose our will on them and what they thought they were going to do is going to change." That's not a direct quote, but that was what he talked about.

As a result, he didn't do the kind of scouting/game planning most coaches needed to do.  And he was right, for the most part.

But, as has been pointed out many times in here, the current NBA style refereeing (every contact is a foul, regardless) Nolan's style of defense simply cannot be played today.  And that's sad.

But Mike doesn't see the need to change his coaching philosophy to adapt to this (crappy) truth.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 19, 2016, 12:43:48 pm
I believe this thinking goes back to Nolan, who was open about his philosphy: "We don't really care what they do, because we're going to impose our will on them and what they thought they were going to do is going to change." That's not a direct quote, but that was what he talked about.

As a result, he didn't do the kind of scouting/game planning most coaches needed to do.  And he was right, for the most part.

But, as has been pointed out many times in here, the current NBA style refereeing (every contact is a foul, regardless) Nolan's style of defense simply cannot be played today.  And that's sad.

But Mike doesn't see the need to change his coaching philosophy to adapt to this (crappy) truth.

Yep.  Although again, I think some of that was Nolan talking darn too.  He obviously prepared plans for opponents and certain players.  As you mentioned, the talent and different game then allowed his teams to force their style. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 19, 2016, 12:54:48 pm
Yep.  Although again, I think some of that was Nolan talking darn too.  He obviously prepared plans for opponents and certain players.  As you mentioned, the talent and different game then allowed his teams to force their style. 

Nolan's whole plan was built around cutting the head off the snake, well to do that you have to know who the head is. It is not always the PG. Go back and look at how he would beat a team like LSU when they had Shaq, or Bama when they had guys like Horry and Spreewell, or the times they beat Ky when KY had really good teams.

Paul

As a Hog fan, I would enjoy any style of BB if we could return to prominence as a program.  i enjoyed watching Sutton's teams even though some thought it boring.  They were fundamentally sound, always played hard, almost never got blown out & never, ever quit.

hogwood

Mike is not a complacent guy. I grew up around the program in the 90's. Wayne Stehlik was my neighbor and I played basketball with Yvonne a lot. Mike is cool, calm, and collected, but he has no problems letting into someone. He has strong morals, and holds those around him up to high standards. He is strict and old school. Just because he is not raging on the sidelines doesn't mean he ain't teaching those kids a lesson in the locker rooms. I'm sure they are getting it handed to them. As a kid I had a lot of respect for Nolan and Mike. They would drill me with tips when I would mess something up yet make sure to give me enough encouragement to buck up and try again. I learned a lot from them, and not just about basketball either. I 100% doubt any notion that Mike is complacent here and has given up this year. I'm certain he way more hungry than any of us are for a championship and he is probably still preaching in the locker room that this team can make the tournament, somehow someway, and he probably believes it himself too, and shows that belief everyday in practice to those kids.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogwood on February 19, 2016, 01:37:15 pm
Mike is not a complacent guy. I grew up around the program in the 90's. Wayne Stehlik was my neighbor and I played basketball with Yvonne a lot. Mike is cool, calm, and collected, but he has no problems letting into someone. He has strong morals, and holds those around him up to high standards. He is strict and old school. Just because he is not raging on the sidelines doesn't mean he ain't teaching those kids a lesson in the locker rooms. I'm sure they are getting it handed to them. As a kid I had a lot of respect for Nolan and Mike. They would drill me with tips when I would mess something up yet make sure to give me enough encouragement to buck up and try again. I learned a lot from them, and not just about basketball either. I 100% doubt any notion that Mike is complacent here and has given up this year. I'm certain he way more hungry than any of us are for a championship and he is probably still preaching in the locker room that this team can make the tournament, somehow someway, and he probably believes it himself too, and shows that belief everyday in practice to those kids.

+1,000,000

IronMountainHog

Quote from: hogwood on February 19, 2016, 01:37:15 pm
Yvonne Richardson?

IronMountainHog

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: userpick on February 19, 2016, 11:33:36 am
I firmly believe our basketball program will continue to suffer no matter who the coach is as long as Jeff Long is the director of athletics.
I don't trust Jeff's hiring decisions, either.
I don't trust that he will make the right choice.
I still can't believe he wanted Tommy Bowden to coach football. He hires Mike Anderson, also. He goes after guys with a decent reputation and record and shows no hints that he is able to identify up-and-comer coaches that have potential.
He settles for safe picks instead of showing the ability to hit home runs.