Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown XI

Started by clutch, February 20, 2017, 06:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I like this deal better than Stanton. I would have loved to get GS, but getting someone almost as good for much less leaves more room for other impact players. I just hate that the Yanks got him though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 13, 2017, 08:41:18 pm
I like this deal better than Stanton. I would have loved to get GS, but getting someone almost as good for much less leaves more room for other impact players. I just hate that the Yanks got him though.

Zac Gallen is probably gonna be really good — and there's the fact that OF really isn't the priority for this team. Moreover, I would expect Ozuna's offensive numbers to drop a bit when he's not hitting next to Giancarlo Stanton.

But all in all this is the type of move that the Cardinals never make but we need. It will give us a strong bat in the middle of the lineup and maybe free us up to move a couple of the big league OF pieces for a 1B bat and some bullpen depth.
WPS

Bigfoot

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 13, 2017, 08:41:18 pm

Me too.

Stanton and Judge being on the same team should be illegal.

McKdaddy

I'd be more upset if the cubs had wanted & gotten him. 
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

popcornhog

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/thanks-cardinals-trade-stephen-piscotty-can-now-closer-ailing-mom-185406307.html

Baseball is a business, but it's not always cold and unfeeling. On Wednesday, the St. Louis Cardinals traded outfielder Stephen Piscotty to the Oakland Athletics. After the Cards traded for Marcell Ozuna, Piscotty was the odd man out. But the trade was about more than just clearing roster space. It was also about sending Piscotty back home to be near his mother.
WPS

ghostzapper

We've apparently moved on from any deal with Rays.  I hope that isn't true.

hoghappy

Good luck. They've screwed just about everything else up they touch.

McKdaddy

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

pigture perfect

Looks like Harrison Bader just made the big squad. I am a little concerned about Pham though, just a gut feeling. Did we put all of our eggs in one basket because he had a breakout year at 30 years of age?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 20, 2018, 12:32:32 am
Looks like Harrison Bader just made the big squad. I am a little concerned about Pham though, just a gut feeling. Did we put all of our eggs in one basket because he had a breakout year at 30 years of age?

Jose Martinez is a decent fall back in the event of a Pham fall off and sounds like it may be show me time in the show me state for Bader.

pigture perfect

The more I see of the 2 that we got from the Grichik trade, I think we did pretty well.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 21, 2018, 05:34:32 pm
The more I see of the 2 that we got from the Grichik trade, I think we did pretty well.

I agree, I think that trading Grichuk for bullpen help was the right way to go.

Grichuk has talent. The Cardinals gave him every shot to be the guy and he couldn't ever do it. I honestly think he's a useful player that could get it together and be a really good MLB outfielder.  However, I don't think there's anything Grichuk would bring to this team that Bader or maybe Tyler O'neill can't. Maybe we look back and regret this one, but I think it was time to move on.

pigture perfect

The last article I read on RG, he seemed a bit P.O'ed about being the 4th outfielder heading into the pre-season. I sensed their might be some friction in the club house because of it. Or, he would have been spurred to a career season. But all in all, it is as you said, he had his chances and didn't get 'er done.

jbell96

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 24, 2018, 06:15:15 pm
The last article I read on RG, he seemed a bit P.O'ed about being the 4th outfielder heading into the pre-season. I sensed their might be some friction in the club house because of it. Or, he would have been spurred to a career season. But all in all, it is as you said, he had his chances and didn't get 'er done.

I don't think it was so much being the 4th OF this year, it was from previous years where he felt like he was yanked around. I never defend Matheny, but Grichuk had every opportunity to prove he deserved to be in the lineup every day, and he just didn't get it done. Just comes off as sour grapes to me.

McKdaddy

Early on, I thought Piscotty & Grichuk would anchor our OF for many years.

McKdaddy

Quote from: jbell96 on January 25, 2018, 09:01:29 am
I never defend Matheny, but Grichuk had every opportunity to prove he deserved to be in the lineup every day, and he just didn't get it done. Just comes off as sour grapes to me.

^^^^

pigture perfect

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 25, 2018, 12:28:10 pm
Thats what I thought as well. When Piscotty got the 6 year deal at a good price, I thought we were under paying him. I believe that his season last year was really affected by family concerns. How can you not be, if your mom is diagnosed with ALS. I sure do wish him luck in Oakland.

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 25, 2018, 12:28:10 pm

Same here, a few years ago I saw Grichuk anchoring the lineup at cleanup for a while. Now though? I do not feel like we lost much (if anything) in losing Grichuk. He had his shot(s) and didn't ever do enough. How long are you supposed to bet on potential? I wish him luck, but he had his chance in STL.

McKdaddy

That's why I would be a poor GM....I'd be prone to giving too many guys like Grichuk one more year.

McKdaddy

Not saying he should've been given another year, but my failing would be in giving too many guys another year.

jrulz83

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 26, 2018, 06:04:31 am
Not saying he should've been given another year, but my failing would be in giving too many guys another year.

The increasingly frustrating thing for me with Grichuk was either he never had a feel for how MLB pitchers attacked him, or he wasn't able to adjust his approach. He has real trouble with breaking balls and never could consistently stay away from hacking at the bad ones.

In the stretches that he didn't hack at bad pitches he could be good, but they were always very short stretches. When he got to two strikes anybody could call the pitch that was coming and he could rarely lay off of it.

Still, I thought he was a useful piece for the Cardinals but with the rising outfielders I suppose that the Cardinals saw him as a redundant piece. Bader appears to be the front runner but either Tyler O'Neill or Jose Adolis Garcia could make the jump to MLB this year.

Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler appear to be the everyday starters. That's a very solid if not spectacular OF group. Pham concerns me the most. Is he what we saw last year or is he the injury prone other guy? I like Pham a lot, but I can see Matheny riding him like he did Allen Craig if things aren't going right and that would be bad for everybody.

Fowler's injury history bothers me too, if he can't stay healthy don't sleep on Jose Martinez. 1B seems to be his main focus, but his bat (if as good as last year) needs to play. Fowler could use some rest from time to time and Martinez can handle the corners. Seems to me like Martinez ought to get a start in RF once a week or so to help keep Fowler healthy.

Anyway, that's where I see the outfield. If you read all my BS in this post you deserve a gold star.

hogcards

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 26, 2018, 06:03:29 am
That's why I would be a poor GM....I'd be prone to giving too many guys like Grichuk one more year.

I'm glad he's gone.  He flailed. 
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

pigture perfect

We need 1 more starter and a closer. I'm good with Gyrko/Carp at 3rd and Carp/Yadi at 1st.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on January 25, 2018, 03:56:35 pm
Same here, a few years ago I saw Grichuk anchoring the lineup at cleanup for a while. Now though? I do not feel like we lost much (if anything) in losing Grichuk. He had his shot(s) and didn't ever do enough. How long are you supposed to bet on potential? I wish him luck, but he had his chance in STL.

Jason Heyward made a fortune off of potential. I still think he's one of the most over-payed players I've ever seen. Glad he didn't stick around STL.

Dropkick

Quote from: clutch on January 29, 2018, 11:15:49 am
Jason Heyward made a fortune off of potential. I still think he's one of the most over-payed players I've ever seen. Glad he didn't stick around STL.
That feeling is probably mutual. He got a ring and all that money.

clutch

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 11:31:42 am
That feeling is probably mutual. He got a ring and all that money.

All while batting .230, crushing 7 homers and driving in less than 50 runs.

Dropkick

Quote from: clutch on February 01, 2018, 01:35:50 pm
All while batting .230, crushing 7 homers and driving in less than 50 runs.
....and got paid like an MVP, lol

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on January 29, 2018, 11:15:49 am

And all that has what to do with Grichuk?

Heyward got what he wanted. Good for him for getting paid, and I'm glad who it is that's overpaying him. Couldn't have ended better for all involved.

Now, back on topic. Are the Cardinals done or do they sign a free agent starter?

I think they need a #3 type starter to carry some innings, of course the price/length of deal has to be right.

I'm counting on Wainwright for nothing as a starter. It hurts to say that, but that's where we are with him. Hope he proves me a fool. Everybody assumes he can take a bullpen role, but I think that will be harder on his arm than being a starter.

I'm really perplexed by the decision to ride with the current starters. Mikolas is a question mark, Reyes returning from TJ surgery is a question, Wacha can't pitch through a lineup twice without getting hammered, Weaver is destined for a sophomore slump and  the only thing sure about Martinez is uncertainty.

I really think the Cardinals need an innings guy.

pigture perfect

We got Edward Mijica back on a minor league deal, with no invitation to Major league camp. He hasn't really done anything since 2015. Maybe he can find something left. He used to be pretty good.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 01, 2018, 08:44:23 pm
We got Edward Mijica back on a minor league deal, with no invitation to Major league camp. He hasn't really done anything since 2015. Maybe he can find something left. He used to be pretty good.

That one is an interesting dumpster dive. I think he's 33, so maybe there's something left in there. He was previously good for STL until Matheny rode him into the ground. It will be interesting to see if he's got anything.