Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting strategy

Started by bythelake, May 17, 2016, 06:47:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bythelake

It seems that this year CBB is working from middle to top instead of top to bottom.  I like this strategy.  The commits we have are solid, may not be instant game changers but who knows.  Based on highlights they have potential.  I think  that CBB was super pissed at last years debacle at the last minute losses that he has revamped his recruiting strategy.  We will be on a lot of 4-5 stars at the end  i HOPE.

Music City Hog

We will not be on any 5 stars at the end.  Maybe a few 4 stars, but definitely no 5 stars. 

bythelake

Yea, 5 stars maybe too optimistic.  The results of this season will determine the end results.  But, feels good to have 9 solid commits at this stage of the game. Uhh hopefully solid.

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on May 17, 2016, 06:57:44 pm
We will not be on any 5 stars at the end.  Maybe a few 4 stars, but definitely no 5 stars. 

You have no idea who'll we'll be on, but rest assured, you'll complain about it, lol. You either trust this staff to get the players they want, or you don't back them at all, which is it?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bythelake on May 17, 2016, 07:05:42 pm
Yea, 5 stars maybe too optimistic.  The results of this season will determine the end results.  But, feels good to have 9 solid commits at this stage of the game. Uhh hopefully solid.

The results of this season will have nothing to do with the recruiting finish.  It never does.  If you're into service rankings, we'll finish about like we always do.  30 ish.  We're just getting more balanced classes with much less attrition while coached by a better staff.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on May 17, 2016, 08:19:08 pm
You have no idea who'll we'll be on, but rest assured, you'll complain about it, lol. You either trust this staff to get the players they want, or you don't back them at all, which is it?

I 100% trust that this staff is getting the best players they are capable of getting.  I don't think they're getting the players they truely want.   I absolutely think they would trade classes with tons of schools every single year, by they can't get them.

The whole "trust the coaches" argument implies that these are all the first choice kids they want.  We all know thats not true.  They would much rather have most of the classes that the other SEC schools get but they can't get get them to Fayetteville.  In fairness, neither could Nick Saban or Jesus Christ if they were the coach.

So yes, I trust the coaches are getting the best they can convince to actually attend.   I don't pretend for a second though that these are the players they would choose if they had carte Blanche of all recruits.

Our recruiting and on field results have been the same forever.  We need to try a different approach to get a different result.   I'd go all in on ridiculous uniforms, rappers at spring games, cheesy marketing recruiting weekends, etc.

Drop the mic?   Id never say that again.   The catfish hole?   I'd abandon that completely.  It's tired.  They need to bring creativity and life to the program to change a 25 year plus history of zero sec titles. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Music City Hog on May 17, 2016, 11:41:03 pm
I 100% trust that this staff is getting the best players they are capable of getting.  I don't think they're getting the players they truely want.   I absolutely think they would trade classes with tons of schools every single year, by they can't get them.

The whole "trust the coaches" argument implies that these are all the first choice kids they want.  We all know thats not true.  They would much rather have most of the classes that the other SEC schools get but they can't get get them to Fayetteville.  In fairness, neither could Nick Saban or Jesus Christ if they were the coach.

So yes, I trust the coaches are getting the best they can convince to actually attend.   I don't pretend for a second though that these are the players they would choose if they had carte Blanche of all recruits.

Our recruiting and on field results have been the same forever.  We need to try a different approach to get a different result.   I'd go all in on ridiculous uniforms, rappers at spring games, cheesy marketing recruiting weekends, etc.

Drop the mic?   Id never say that again.   The catfish hole?   I'd abandon that completely.  It's tired.  They need to bring creativity and life to the program to change a 25 year plus history of zero sec titles. 

Woohoo! The HV sage has spoken.

Thank goodness you posted that - I'm sure there is a grad asst in the BAC assigned to reading your posts so the coaching staff can be told what to do next.

Jesus. Do you ever give up?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Then why have they taken these commits from Feb thru early May, just so they will have some?  Would you not agree that most "experts" think/believe that Bielema thinks outside the box, that he would change the recruiting strategy? He seems pretty capable of changing something if he doesn't like it, doesn't think it's beneficial.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

getting in on 5-stars at the end is a recipe for disaster.

you get in on those guys when they're freshmen and sophmores, junior year at the absolute latest.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 18, 2016, 01:06:38 am
Woohoo! The HV sage has spoken.

Thank goodness you posted that - I'm sure there is a grad asst in the BAC assigned to reading your posts so the coaching staff can be told what to do next.

Jesus. Do you ever give up?
What kind of dirt does he have on Lanny to get to stay? He obviously just posts this crap to try to get a rise out of people

Darren DeLoach

Seriously?

Are there grade A recruits out there that we CAN'T get? Yes. Are there grade A recruits out there that we miss on? Yes.

But there are many grade A prospects like Tunsil (to be extreme) that this staff would rather opt for a prospect that doesn't meet YOUR qualifications.

But regardless, there are not tons of classes we would trade for. Just an asinine over-exaggerated statement as always.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

whosiskid

Before anyone jumps down my throat, let me say that I trust the coaches.. I am not questioning the coaches.

That said, I am extremely uncomfortable with the recruiting class so far. I'm sure that our coaches see something in each of the players who have committed. In the past we have worked extremely hard to get the most elite players along with some prospects that the coaches seem confident that they can "coach up" to the Division One level. That approach has meant that you work very, very hard for those small number of elite players, people like Guidry and Devwah Whaley (Agim is different because he was from inside the state).

My concern is that the staff has decided to take a "Recruit Less - Coach More" approach, when I think you have to establish a tradition of fighting for the top prospects. I'm worried that they are being less selective. One could argue that being selective hasn't paid off and that being less selective nets you the same quality of players as being selective.

I'm not a star gazer, but I don't think that there is no connection between how a player is rated and how good they are. The rating services are going to miss on some kids, especially juco kid. But the rating services are going to get things right fairly often as well. I'm saying that you can't absolutize. My concern is that just about none of our commits are players that other schools are lamenting that we got and they didn't. Unless we are talking about second tier NCAA schools.

Of course, it is possible that there has been no change in recruiting philosophy and that it is just coincidental that so many low- or un-rated kids have secured slots so early. It is possible that we are all reading too much in the group of kids who have committed so far.

But overall I'm not that excited about this group. There are a couple of kids who I think are incredibly exciting prospects. But there are a  few that have me baffled. Maybe my gut will prove utterly wrong. But I am concerned. I can't say why I'm concerned without commenting on specific kids, so I also won't say which kids excite me, since that would be a way of saying who I'm not excited by. But right now this feels like a Houston Nutt quality recruiting class. I really do hope I'm proven completely wrong in my concerns. But right now I'm concerned that we have too many projects, too many kids that might end up good Division One players. But this is the least excited I've been about a class with this many players committed in a long, long time.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Seebs

The hubris of some of you is laughable. Whosiskid, you have been regurgitating info from other boards for years then writing 500 word essays on recruiting where your record for predictions is close to 20% accurate.

Your cause for concern is noted but means absolutely nothing. It means nothing because you cannot find material on these commits that you cannot vomit on this page and tweak it to call it your own. You have to trust the coaches because you have nothing to plagiarize. I've been fed up with your schtick for a while and this posts just sealed the deal for me. 

These men/coaches evaluate talent. They do not care about the recruiting sites. Their jobs depends on them evaluating correctly. We offer these unrated players because the UA covets them. Pollard comes to mind on the gnashing of teeth on these recruits that show interest early. In five months many of you will not mention this thread because you will have been proven wrong and moved on to the next concern or disappointment.

The recruiting services will now catch up. Why? Because Arkansas offered. Arkansas evaluates talent very well. The lazy-ass recruiting sites now see who has committed and will re-evaluate, and most times initially evaluate who has committed.

Exciting the troll posters is not the goal of these coaches. Getting players that are trending upward, have coachablity and that have not peaked at the 10th grade and are therefore four stars to the lazy recruiting services is what these guys are doing.

So shove your concerns and get back to us in five months when these commits are evaluated. I am sure you will post about it as it happens with your 'insight' you pay $9.99 a month for.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: Seebs on May 19, 2016, 03:01:37 pm
The hubris of some of you is laughable. Whosiskid, you have been regurgitating info from other boards for years then writing 500 word essays on recruiting where your record for predictions is close to 20% accurate.

Your cause for concern is noted but means absolutely nothing. It means nothing because you cannot find material on these commits that you cannot vomit on this page and tweak it to call it your own. You have to trust the coaches because you have nothing to plagiarize. I've been fed up with your schtick for a while and this posts just sealed the deal for me. 

These men/coaches evaluate talent. They do not care about the recruiting sites. Their jobs depends on them evaluating correctly. We offer these unrated players because the UA covets them. Pollard comes to mind on the gnashing of teeth on these recruits that show interest early. In five months many of you will not mention this thread because you will have been proven wrong and moved on to the next concern or disappointment.

The recruiting services will now catch up. Why? Because Arkansas offered. Arkansas evaluates talent very well. The lazy-ass recruiting sites now see who has committed and will re-evaluate, and most times initially evaluate who has committed.

Exciting the troll posters is not the goal of these coaches. Getting players that are trending upward, have coachablity and that have not peaked at the 10th grade and are therefore four stars to the lazy recruiting services is what these guys are doing.

So shove your concerns and get back to us in five months when these commits are evaluated. I am sure you will post about it as it happens with your 'insight' you pay $9.99 a month for.

+1000

oldman1015

There is a way to get 5 stars here. Ask Ole Miss.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

HogNDas

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 17, 2016, 08:20:13 pm
The results of this season will have nothing to do with the recruiting finish.  It never does.  If you're into service rankings, we'll finish about like we always do.  30 ish.  We're just getting more balanced classes with much less attrition while coached by a better staff.
The results of the season have a tremendous bearing on our recruiting!!!   The BEST recruiting promotion/tool is WINNING!...

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogNDas on May 19, 2016, 05:52:28 pm
The results of the season have a tremendous bearing on our recruiting!!!   The BEST recruiting promotion/tool is WINNING!...
Winning tradition sure, winning a particular season is not going to change anything unless its a championship.  recruiting is the result of years of work.  none of these guys just popped on the radar when they were offered.

people complain if we aren't the first to offer, and complain if we offer first because no one else has offered.  obviously there are can't miss 5 star guys that any team would love to have, but we rarely are in a position to be in the lead for those guys as they have their choice of elite schools.  where the staff shows their talent is which 3 and 4 start guys they offer.  there are more than enough of those guys to go around, but finding they guys that fit your system and your culture is very important.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawgar The Horrible

Day-yum. It only took 25 minutes for someone to disembowel a post that took days to construe. Good job, Seebs.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

lumphog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on May 19, 2016, 02:13:32 pm

Seriously?

Are there grade A recruits out there that we CAN'T get? Yes. Are there grade A recruits out there that we miss on? Yes.

But there are many grade A prospects like Tunsil (to be extreme) that this staff would rather opt for a prospect that doesn't meet YOUR qualifications.

But regardless, there are not tons of classes we would trade for. Just an asinine over-exaggerated statement as always.
GOOD POST.......Clap for the wolfman (clap,clap,clap)

lumphog

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 19, 2016, 06:21:33 pm
Winning tradition sure, winning a particular season is not going to change anything unless its a championship.  recruiting is the result of years of work.  none of these guys just popped on the radar when they were offered.

people complain if we aren't the first to offer, and complain if we offer first because no one else has offered.  obviously there are can't miss 5 star guys that any team would love to have, but we rarely are in a position to be in the lead for those guys as they have their choice of elite schools.  where the staff shows their talent is which 3 and 4 start guys they offer.  there are more than enough of those guys to go around, but finding they guys that fit your system and your culture is very important.
So how do you start a tradition.....same answer, WIN...for that matter how long constitutes a tradition?   Since most recruits are roughly 17 when they sign, I would think in their mind, a team with tradition might be one that has been winning since they were about 10 years old....so, in a recruits mind it really doesn't take long for a tradition to start....WINNING is the BEST recruiting tool ever!...and the best tool for filling seats...goes hand in hand....

whosiskid

Seebs, I'm not sure who you are. I've never, ever seen a post by you before or at least don't remember anything you have ever posted.

So I'm not sure why I've offended you. Do I merely repackage what is written elsewhere? Uh, no. Never have and never will, unless I come explicitly to ask if someone has seen a post elsewhere.

I do write long posts. I just like to write. You are free not to read anything I write. If I offend you, why aren't on your Ignore list. You are going on mine as soon as I post this. I've just reached the point where I have a zero tolerance policy on people who cross the line of civility. I am always nice to others in my posting. You will not find a single post where I have attacked anyone, so I'm not sure why you have attacked me. Instead of attacking you might have engaged in conversation. Since I don't know you or ever remember you posting before, I'm sorry that we won't get an opportunity to get to know each other.

But I have to confess that I've somewhat abandoned Hogville. You are pretty much a great example of why. I write an honest post that expressed why I'm not at ease with the current class so far, and you engage in personal attack. Not very convincing or fair attack. But the point is that you chose incivility over civility. Our first exchange ever and you decided to be incredibly rude.

As far as your claim that I merely recycle stories from elsewhere, let me ask, are were supposed to only repeat what is said on HV? I get info about the Hogs from as many sources as I can and I think what I write is a blend of what I've been able to absorb from those sources. And what is wrong with learning? I mean, seriously, what are you proposing as an alternative? Learning from a variety of sources, but without parroting any of them, or merely repeating, as you seem to be suggesting (at least, if your attack on me is supposed to have any content, you seem to be insisting that we not learn anything except on HV) what is said here on Hogville.

I think what offends you is that I write long posts. I'm sorry. I'm known for long posts and you are free to ignore or read them.

But your post is nonsense. I don't parrot sites. What Hog site says that they are uncomfortable with the current class? I have been disappointed that few sites seem to be excited about Pierre Strong, who I think is this year's TJ Hammond, a player, by the way, I was posting about before I saw much anywhere else. I saw a list of stats of Arkansas football players and sought out his video on HUDL. Or is getting excited about a player based on his HUDL videos also forbidden? I mean, your post makes no sense.

Anyway, I really have come to dislike HV. Too many people - and not just me - who get attacked for no good reasons. I expect people to be decent with one another and you chose to be a jerk. Gonna go read a book.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Hawgar The Horrible

Lemee give you a hint, whoiskid. This is a message board...not a depository for White Papers, U.S. patents or even a high school Junior thesis.

Nobody is interested in how you actually derived at any thoughts, ideas or conclusions. You bring some solid knowledge, worth the read, once all the garbage is filtered out.

State your damn opinion. If someone questions it, THEN make your case. Suddenly, you have what is commonly referred to as a conversation rather than a lecture. Eureka!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

factchecker

Quote from: whosiskid on May 19, 2016, 02:36:14 pm
That approach has meant that you work very, very hard for those small number of elite players, people like Guidry and Devwah Whaley (Agim is different because he was from inside the state).

Agim was originally from Texas and stated that he wasn't a hog fan growing up.  Considering the fact that he was one of the top defensive linemen in the nation I'd say the staff had to work pretty damn hard to get him.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Quote from: factchecker on May 19, 2016, 08:16:00 pm
Agim was originally from Texas and stated that he wasn't a hog fan growing up.  Considering the fact that he was one of the top defensive linemen in the nation I'd say the staff had to work pretty damn hard to get him.
May not have been the intent, but it sure seemed like oh Agim was an in-state guy and he was not that difficult for us to get. I think Agim may have been the guy the staff has recruited the hardest since they have been here, and their hard work swung him to us from other directions he may have been leaning, just my sense that he wasn't a guy that was 50-50 for us, but they had to work him away from the clutches of others.

Honestly not blown away by our early recruits, I am not a star gazer, in fact I think those who are......well ...lot of hat and not much cattle. Not to say rankings are irrelevant either, just seems we have a lot of lightly rated tweeners as far as positions, so not super excited, but realize some of these evaluations and ratings are a little early. Several these guys could end up being top 300 players in the end. Some of them though at what position? They can't all end up at receiver.

Seebs

Quote from: whosiskid on May 19, 2016, 07:18:55 pm
Seebs, I'm not sure who you are. I've never, ever seen a post by you before or at least don't remember anything you have ever posted.

So I'm not sure why I've offended you. Do I merely repackage what is written elsewhere? Uh, no. Never have and never will, unless I come explicitly to ask if someone has seen a post elsewhere.

I do write long posts. I just like to write. You are free not to read anything I write. If I offend you, why aren't on your Ignore list. You are going on mine as soon as I post this. I've just reached the point where I have a zero tolerance policy on people who cross the line of civility. I am always nice to others in my posting. You will not find a single post where I have attacked anyone, so I'm not sure why you have attacked me. Instead of attacking you might have engaged in conversation. Since I don't know you or ever remember you posting before, I'm sorry that we won't get an opportunity to get to know each other.

But I have to confess that I've somewhat abandoned Hogville. You are pretty much a great example of why. I write an honest post that expressed why I'm not at ease with the current class so far, and you engage in personal attack. Not very convincing or fair attack. But the point is that you chose incivility over civility. Our first exchange ever and you decided to be incredibly rude.

As far as your claim that I merely recycle stories from elsewhere, let me ask, are were supposed to only repeat what is said on HV? I get info about the Hogs from as many sources as I can and I think what I write is a blend of what I've been able to absorb from those sources. And what is wrong with learning? I mean, seriously, what are you proposing as an alternative? Learning from a variety of sources, but without parroting any of them, or merely repeating, as you seem to be suggesting (at least, if your attack on me is supposed to have any content, you seem to be insisting that we not learn anything except on HV) what is said here on Hogville.

I think what offends you is that I write long posts. I'm sorry. I'm known for long posts and you are free to ignore or read them.

But your post is nonsense. I don't parrot sites. What Hog site says that they are uncomfortable with the current class? I have been disappointed that few sites seem to be excited about Pierre Strong, who I think is this year's TJ Hammond, a player, by the way, I was posting about before I saw much anywhere else. I saw a list of stats of Arkansas football players and sought out his video on HUDL. Or is getting excited about a player based on his HUDL videos also forbidden? I mean, your post makes no sense.

Anyway, I really have come to dislike HV. Too many people - and not just me - who get attacked for no good reasons. I expect people to be decent with one another and you chose to be a jerk. Gonna go read a book.

When you stop talking, or in this case, typing, maybe you would be able to hear others around you.  That you do not remember any of my posts is a good thing - it means I come here for knowledge, which you provide very little.

Your diatribe of butthurt is not my doing - it is yours.  The more you talk the less words mean.

Finally, you remind me of F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus - when Antonio Salieri realized that he had the desire to do something but realized that he did not have the talent when compared to others. 
Leave the news to RD, or don't. I will simply call you out when you appear to be more knowledgeable than our coaches or pretend borrowed news is your own.   
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogNDas on May 19, 2016, 06:51:20 pm
So how do you start a tradition.....same answer, WIN...for that matter how long constitutes a tradition?   Since most recruits are roughly 17 when they sign, I would think in their mind, a team with tradition might be one that has been winning since they were about 10 years old....so, in a recruits mind it really doesn't take long for a tradition to start....WINNING is the BEST recruiting tool ever!...and the best tool for filling seats...goes hand in hand....
when we have won 10 games 10 years in a row, that is a winning tradition.  when we have won 10 games 3 times in 10 years and less than 6 games 3 times.  that spells inconsistency.

so no, even if we win 10 games this year, it will have zero effect on recruiting, except that our commits will feel a little better about their choice.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

factchecker

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 19, 2016, 08:49:13 pm
Several these guys could end up being top 300 players in the end. Some of them though at what position? They can't all end up at receiver.

We already have one ESPN top 300 player:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300jr/sort/rank/class/2017

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/208161/daulton-hyatt

Daulton Hyatt 6-4, 178 lbs. quarterback from Atalla, Alabama.

If we can get Montaric Brown to commit that will give us two.  Montaric is important because he is a top defensive back.  We haven't had many of those come through Arkansas.

We signed 5 top 300 in 2015: #98 Hjalte Frohodlt DL, #193 CJ O'Grady TE-H, #218 Will Gragg TE-Y, #272 Jalen Merrick OG, #274 Jamario Bell DE

And we signed 4 top 300 in 2016:   #11 McTelvin Agim DL,  #70 Devwah Whaley RB,  #143 Briston Guirdy DL, #223 T.J. Hammonds WR

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Previously I had done research on ESPN TOP150 players we signed in past cycles:

# indicates their overall ranking - - - not positional

*list does not account for transfers - -  Ryan Mallett was #12 overall and Ricky Town was #124 overall

2006:   #12 Mitch Mustain QB, #81 London Crawford  WR,  #88 Damian Williams WR

2007:   none

2008:   #41 Joe Adams WR,  #76 De'Anthony Curtis RB,  #81 Tyler Wilson QB

2009:   #25 Darius Winston CB

2010:   #93 Cam Fedlt OL

2011:   #66 Mitch Smothers OL,  #88 Brey Cook OL,  #136 Lonnie Gosha DE

2012:   none

2013:   #57 Alex Collins RB,  #69 Hunter Henry TE,  #144 Denver Kirkland OL

2014:   #81 Bijhon Jackson DL,  #126 Brian Wallace OL,  #145 JoJo Robinson WR

2015:   #98 Hjalte Frohodlt DL

2016:   #11 McTelvin Agim DL,  #70 Devwah Whaley RB,  #143 Briston Guirdy DL

Highest rated ESPN player signed (since 2006):  #11 McTelvin Agim

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 19, 2016, 09:44:48 pm
when we have won 10 games 10 years in a row, that is a winning tradition.  when we have won 10 games 3 times in 10 years and less than 6 games 3 times.  that spells inconsistency.

so no, even if we win 10 games this year, it will have zero effect on recruiting, except that our commits will feel a little better about their choice.
WINNING has a DIRECT correlation to being able to even get in a living room!... I disagree with you regarding how many years it takes to establish a winning tradition in a recruit's mind....you win 3 or 4 years in a row and in their mind, that's the way it's always been cause they don't date back that far....

HogNDas

Quote from: factchecker on May 19, 2016, 11:23:39 pm

*list does not account for transfers - -  Ryan Mallett was #12 overall and Ricky Town was #124 overall

2006:   #12 Mitch Mustain QB, #81 London Crawford  WR,  #88 Damian Williams WR

2007:   none

2009:   #25 Darius Winston CB

2010:   #93 Cam Fedlt OL

2011:   #66 Mitch Smothers OL,  #88 Brey Cook OL,  #136 Lonnie Gosha DE

2012:   none

2013:   #57 Alex Collins RB,  #69 Hunter Henry TE,  #144 Denver Kirkland OL

2014:   #81 Bijhon Jackson DL,  #126 Brian Wallace OL,  #145 JoJo Robinson WR

2015:   #98 Hjalte Frohodlt DL

2016:   #11 McTelvin Agim DL,  #70 Devwah Whaley RB,  #143 Briston Guirdy DL

Two great posts....keep up the outstanding work....

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hogs33

Quote from: HogNDas on May 19, 2016, 05:52:28 pm

Some could argue that the best recruiting tool is $money$.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

factchecker

Factors to recruiting (in no order):

Coaches

Prestige- Winning plus tradition.

Scheme, Fit, and Playing Time

Past Player Success- Heisman, NFL career etc.

Academics- It's still important for some.

Parents- The ability to fly parents on visits should help here.

Location, Location, Location- Might be the biggest hurdle for our program. 

Here is a map for the top 200 Recruits (according to 247) in the 2017 class:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1JfXSqbW1ai-3KA-xi_c7Hvf5LrE

credit goes to r/cfb for the map -- Team logo represents where the recruit is currently committed.  Generic dot = uncommitted.

5 of the top 200 recruits are in the state of Mississippi.

7 of the top 200 recruits are in the state of Louisiana.

More than 30 (lost count) of the top 200 recruits are in the state of Texas.--- This is why satellite camps in Dallas are important!

1 of the top 200 recruits are in the state of Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pork Twain

Quote from: factchecker on May 20, 2016, 08:56:09 am
Factors to recruiting (in no order):

Coaches

Prestige- Winning plus tradition.

Scheme, Fit, and Playing Time

Past Player Success- Heisman, NFL career etc.

Academics- It's still important for some.

Parents- The ability to fly parents on visits should help here.

Location, Location, Location- Might be the biggest hurdle for our program. 

I love your posts but I know you got this from EA's NCAA football.

;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

factchecker

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 20, 2016, 09:32:47 am
I love your posts but I know you got this from EA's NCAA football.

;)

Those games were amazing.  However, my favorite game to this day is: 

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FineAsSwine

Quote from: bythelake on May 17, 2016, 06:47:20 pm
It seems that this year CBB is working from middle to top instead of top to bottom.  I like this strategy.  The commits we have are solid, may not be instant game changers but who knows.  Based on highlights they have potential.  I think  that CBB was super pissed at last years debacle at the last minute losses that he has revamped his recruiting strategy.  We will be on a lot of 4-5 stars at the end  i HOPE.

When it is all said and done, I hope the guys that are saying these recruits haven't been evaluated or will be reevaluated and will be ranked higher are right. We don't usually get guys who can step in as true freshmen or redshirt frosh who can make an immediate impact. Nevertheless, I believe the coaches know what they are doing and are properly evaluating the players we currently have committed.

I must admit though that the 4 and 5 stars who are projected to make an immediate impact create more excitement for me. However I do see the big picture and I want to see that validated this year with some of the young guys from CBB's first two classes stepping to the forefront.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogNDas on May 20, 2016, 07:56:45 am
WINNING has a DIRECT correlation to being able to even get in a living room!... I disagree with you regarding how many years it takes to establish a winning tradition in a recruit's mind....you win 3 or 4 years in a row and in their mind, that's the way it's always been cause they don't date back that far....
so when is the last time we won 10+ games 3 years in a row?

that is right. never.

9+?

3 times

68-70  Broyles
77-79  Holtz
85-89  Hatfield

Our winning tradition was before any of these kids were born. 

LJHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 17, 2016, 08:20:13 pm
we'll finish about like we always do.  30 ish..
then we will continue to finish the season like we always do.  3rd ish.  the plain fact of the matter is until we improve the talent we sign we cannot compete in the SECw. 

PorkSoda

May 20, 2016, 04:05:45 pm #39 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:17:16 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: LJHOG on May 20, 2016, 03:58:41 pm
then we will continue to finish the season like we always do.  3rd ish.  the plain fact of the matter is until we improve the talent we sign we cannot compete in the SECw. 
the SEC is the best of the best.  any time we finish above .500 in conference is a good season.

as others have mentioned, our recruiting is consistently middle of the road ranking wise.  and yet we have had great seasons and poor seasons.

so that leads me to believe that recruiting is not what will push us over the edge, and I doubt that even if we doubled the recruiting budget that we would see substantial improvement.  It going to come down to scheme and execution and a lot of luck to get us to the SEC Championship game.  it is what it is.

My hope is that Enos and Smith can stay ahead of the curve scheme wise and that our recruiting is good enough to get them some players to work with.  Guys like morgan were not highly recruited, but with good technique and incredible drive to win, he made plenty an SEC corner look silly.

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 20, 2016, 04:05:45 pm
the SEC is the best of the best.  any time we finish above .500 in conference is a good season.

as others have mentioned, our recruiting is consistently middle of the road ranking wise.  and yet we have had great seasons and poor seasons.

so that leads me to believe that recruiting is not what will push us over the edge, and I doubt that even if we doubled the recruiting budget that we would see substantial improvement.  It going to come down to scheme and execution and a lot of luck to get us to the SEC Championship game.  it is what it is.

My hope is that Enos and Smith can stay ahead of the curve scheme wise and that our recruiting is good enough to get them some players to work with.  Guys like morgan were not highly recruited, but with good technique and incredible drive to win, he made plenty an SEC corner look silly.
Who got drafted this year and what were their "stars"?   I know Alex & Hunter were 4*'s.  You're right, it is what it is... Stars matter and until we get to the level of the upper echelon of the SECw, the best we can hope for is "middle of the pack"..... Sad.... :(    I believe we do not have to "settle" for middle of the pack!... AR has a LOT of tradition.  I cried in '69.  I was overjoyed when Sales smoked OKie.   This program should be PROUD! :razorback: :razorback:

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HogNDas on May 20, 2016, 04:33:00 pm
Who got drafted this year and what were their "stars"?   I know Alex & Hunter were 4*'s.  You're right, it is what it is... Stars matter and until we get to the level of the upper echelon of the SECw, the best we can hope for is "middle of the pack"..... Sad.... :(    I believe we do not have to "settle" for middle of the pack!... AR has a LOT of tradition.  I cried in '69.  I was overjoyed when Sales smoked OKie.   This program should be PROUD! :razorback: :razorback:
Dude, you are a one trick pony.  And that trick is annoying.  If you are too blind to see that we will never recruit at that level without some paradigm changing thing happening (we decide to start paying like OM, Fayetteville continues to grow and becomes a true metro area, we win a couple of SEC championships and make the playoffs), then you are beyond help.  Teams don't just improve their recruiting in that manner.  The idiots that have been pointing to Ole Miss the last few years as proof we can now look pretty stupid, as the truth becomes known.

Just stop.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HogNDas

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 20, 2016, 04:45:54 pm
Dude, you are a one trick pony.  And that trick is annoying.  If you are too blind to see that we will never recruit at that level without some paradigm changing thing happening (we decide to start paying like OM, Fayetteville continues to grow and becomes a true metro area, we win a couple of SEC championships and make the playoffs), then you are beyond help.  Teams don't just improve their recruiting in that manner.  The idiots that have been pointing to Ole Miss the last few years as proof we can now look pretty stupid, as the truth becomes known.

Just stop.
I guess I am beyond help because I believe we CAN elevate our recruiting... YES, we CAN!... We are Arkansas and we owned/dominated the SWC and we can do the same in the SEC!

HogNDas

Quote from: LJHOG on May 20, 2016, 03:58:41 pm
Agree LJ...

PorkSoda

we compete just fine in the SEC West.

Winning it all is going to take the perfect storm however.

the same could be said for any team in the west.

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 20, 2016, 09:01:12 pm

We're getting there.....only thing holding us back is recruiting deficiencies...  So far, the 2017 class shows no signs of elevating us to where we can compete beyond finishing in 3rd in the West...

Prestworthy

Quote from: whosiskid on May 19, 2016, 07:18:55 pm

+1000

Prestworthy

The HV elite are really coming in hot. So smug.

thebignasty

Quote from: factchecker on May 19, 2016, 11:23:39 pm

2006:   #12 Mitch Mustain QB

Can't be true, Ricky Town is the greatest ever signed at Arkansas. I read it here somewhere.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 20, 2016, 09:01:12 pm

Bama gon Bama... Tide keeps on rolling. Just call me Deacon Blues.