Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D'Vone McClure

Started by JIHawg, April 14, 2016, 11:16:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Per Otis Kirk on Twitter:

Former Jacksonville (Ark.) wide receiver D'Vone McClure was in attendance at Arkansas' football practice today. McClure, 6-3, 190, actually signed with the Razorbacks while in high school, but it was for baseball.

orgkeith

Big time player in high school.  Probably more Jacksonville kids in the NFL than any other Arkansas city right now.

razorhog52

ijustpork

Went to the MLB. No longer plays and wants to attend  college and possibly play football again.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

That's a take and countable towards 2016.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: razorhog52 on April 14, 2016, 11:50:41 pm
Juco guy?

No Pro Baseball guy. Never been in college would have 4 years to play 5.

His contract may cover his college so he could be a walk-on if that is the case

Kevin

Him and Dillon Howard were in the same class. Both went pro baseball   Both are now out of baseball
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on April 15, 2016, 07:17:26 am
Him and Dillon Howard were in the same class. Both went pro baseball   Both are now out of baseball

Yep, waste of talent. As far as McClure, my oldest played against him, I didn't see SEC talent 5 years ago, but who knows since then.

jjdlc

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 15, 2016, 06:40:52 am

It may be this, I'm not sure this is a case where we would spend a scholarship on him.  There are bigger areas of need than WR.

hogcam

Probably has clause to get school paid for by MLB organization so could walk on.

King Kong

Quote from: jjdlc on April 15, 2016, 10:18:11 am
It may be this, I'm not sure this is a case where we would spend a scholarship on him.  There are bigger areas of need than WR.

Yeah, I would be surprised if he put of scholarship. But WR will have a Big need next year losing our top 5 WR.

Hopefully, Stewart, Pettway and Jones will have adjusted by then

Kevin

wouldn't he count against the 85 if mlb team is paying for his school
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

jjdlc

Quote from: Kevin on April 15, 2016, 01:17:26 pm
wouldn't he count against the 85 if mlb team is paying for his school

Good question.  To me it would just count against the walk-on limit or whatever that is, since it wouldn't be a scholarship, but who knows what rules the NCAA has on that.

cpohog

In many cases in order to get the young men to sign a contract with a MLB team right out of high school, they include a clause in the contract that states the team will pay for college in the event the MLB does not work out. This allows the young men to give MLB a try knowing they can allows go to school if it does not work out.

If this is the case, he could enroll in school and walk on to the football team.

For the University it is a freebie so to speak. He can make the team and become a contributor and the school does not have to put him on scholarship as the MLB team is paying his way.

The part that I am not certain about is, If he makes the team and becomes a major contributor and/or starter, does that have any impact on the 85 limit?

Ramboar

If he made the team and had an impact, would he not deserve to count towards the 85?
I'll be yo Huckleberry

oldfart

if he hits the field he counts on the 85. true of all walkons

jjdlc

Quote from: oldfart on April 15, 2016, 05:06:33 pm
if he hits the field he counts on the 85. true of all walkons

Normal walk-ons do not count against the 85, unless placed on scholarship, has nothing to do with playing or not.  I highly doubt it's any different in this case, but not sure if there are special rules involving the MLB paying for school, I figure they treat it just like the players parents paying for it.

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: jjdlc on April 15, 2016, 05:24:28 pm
Normal walk-ons do not count against the 85, unless placed on scholarship, has nothing to do with playing or not.  Probably the same in this case, but not sure if there are special rules involving the MLB paying for school.

True, walk-ons never count against the 85 limit.  However, if they are on any kind of scholarship, they count when they start playing in games.  Keeps teams honest, you can't boost your entire starting OL's grade point so you can place them on full academic scholarships and gain some extra scholarships.

jjdlc

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on April 15, 2016, 05:32:49 pm
True, walk-ons never count against the 85 limit.  However, if they are on any kind of scholarship, they count when they start playing in games.  Keeps teams honest, you can't boost your entire starting OL's grade point so you can place them on full academic scholarships and gain some extra scholarships.

That's the root of the question, does the NCAA count MLB paying for schooling as a scholarship or not.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 15, 2016, 06:40:52 am

5 years to play 4?

EFBAB

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: King Kong on April 15, 2016, 10:43:20 am
Yeah, I would be surprised if he put of scholarship. But WR will have a Big need next year losing our top 5 WR.

Hopefully, Stewart, Pettway and Jones will have adjusted by then

We are not losing Cornelius

theFlyingHog

Quote from: jjdlc on April 15, 2016, 05:45:25 pm
That's the root of the question, does the NCAA count MLB paying for schooling as a scholarship or not.
Short answer, no. That's not a scholly at all. It's money that is owed to you per your contract, in the form of education. It's like being really smart and saving some money to use for school

lefty08

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2016, 07:29:48 am
Yep, waste of talent. As far as McClure, my oldest played against him, I didn't see SEC talent 5 years ago, but who knows since then.

I dont see playing baseball professionally as wasting talent
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

southeasthog

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2016, 11:23:50 pm
I think Rice means that Howard had a ton of talent but let things other than baseball get into his life.

Former Searcy HIgh School pitching standout Dillon Howard has quit professional baseball at the age of 22, according to reports.

Howard was a second round pick of the Cleveland Indians in the 2011 MLB Draft. The right-hander received a signing bonus of $1.85 million.

According to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer newspaper, Howard told Indians management he had lost the desire to pitch. The Indians could recover a portion of his signing bonus, according to the report.

Howard did not pitch last season and was suspended 50 games for violating MLB's drug policy when he tested positive for an amphetamine. He recorded a 7.90 earned run average in 41 innings in 2010 while playing in the rookie-level Arizona League.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2014/apr/15/searcys-howard-out-baseball/

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: southeasthog on April 16, 2016, 06:34:34 am
I think Rice means that Howard had a ton of talent but let things other than baseball get into his life.

Former Searcy HIgh School pitching standout Dillon Howard has quit professional baseball at the age of 22, according to reports.

Howard was a second round pick of the Cleveland Indians in the 2011 MLB Draft. The right-hander received a signing bonus of $1.85 million.

According to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer newspaper, Howard told Indians management he had lost the desire to pitch. The Indians could recover a portion of his signing bonus, according to the report.

Howard did not pitch last season and was suspended 50 games for violating MLB's drug policy when he tested positive for an amphetamine. He recorded a 7.90 earned run average in 41 innings in 2010 while playing in the rookie-level Arizona League.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2014/apr/15/searcys-howard-out-baseball/

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2016, 11:23:50 pm

You obviously didn't know him or ever watch him pitch.

lefty08

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2016, 08:20:48 am
You obviously didn't know him or ever watch him pitch.

Nope, I didnt. Getting paid to play baseball sounds pretty cool to me though haha
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on April 16, 2016, 09:16:17 am
Nope, I didnt. Getting paid to play baseball sounds pretty cool to me though haha

Well, when you flamed out after a year, and had to pay back some of your bonus, then it's a waste of talent. He had what it took physically to do it, as I said, a waste of talent.

lefty08

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2016, 09:20:10 am
Well, when you flamed out after a year, and had to pay back some of your bonus, then it's a waste of talent. He had what it took physically to do it, as I said, a waste of talent.

I stand down and humbly submit

songofthesword

howard had legit starting rotation talent.

McClure can play you guys are crazy. he's a legit SEC athlete who was focusing on trying to get paid.   extremely good hands, good size, very shifty.  reminds me of a smaller hatcher

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 16, 2016, 07:45:59 am
That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement.
the tweeker kid isn't the one the thread is about.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 17, 2016, 01:20:59 pm
the tweeker kid isn't the one the thread is about.

Yep, got lost in that shuffle.

Thanks for the correction!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 17, 2016, 01:25:35 pm
Yep, got lost in that shuffle.

Thanks for the correction!
no worries, I did the same for a second, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

KlubhouseKonnected

So what up with McClure?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

luke hawg

KlubhouseKonnected

bigdaddyhawg

KlubhouseKonnected

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 25, 2016, 10:33:18 am
But was it a point well taken?

Hopefully it was by the guy(s) who know what the heck is the deal with this kid!!

Slimac4

Otis just posted an article saying he's a Hog. I'm on my phone so I can't post the link. 🐗🐗🐗🐗

RazorPiggie

Quote from: songofthesword on April 16, 2016, 10:03:50 pm
howard had legit starting rotation talent.

McClure can play you guys are crazy. he's a legit SEC athlete who was focusing on trying to get paid.   extremely good hands, good size, very shifty.  reminds me of a smaller hatcher

He looks bigger than Hatcher.

bulldog04

I just wished the Indians didn't overdraft him and he would've played baseball here

smb

Welcome home! Be UNCOMMON!
GeorgiaHOG

KlubhouseKonnected

Seebs

As a former non-traditional student, get ready for the nicknames - like Methuselah, Grandpa, Rip Van Winkle and Shoogar Boogar. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hawgzinbowlz

Welcome Mr. D'Vone McClure.

" GO HOGS "

ricepig

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 25, 2016, 11:55:21 am
I just wished the Indians didn't overdraft him and he would've played baseball here

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2016, 01:12:11 pm

totally agree

TNhawgfan

A win-win for us and Mr. McClure
Go Hogs!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol