Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kurt Anderson cleaning up Pittman's mess

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, April 07, 2016, 11:13:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: HamSammich on April 09, 2016, 01:43:12 am
Funny I didn't read any of you guys blasts on Pittman a year and a half ago. Hogvilles finest always pile on the guy not here.

I liked Pittman then and I like him now and he is going to do really good things at Georgia.

All the hate in this forum is exceptional.

Everyone not at Arkansas either recruit or coach is crap to you guys.

In this same forum I see where CBB gets all the credit for all the great recruits. But yet in this same forum Pittman is blamed for offensive line recruiting????!

Lol at all of you and I am.

I haven't seen anyone "hate" Pittman.  We've simply pointed out that he dropped the ball last year once the Chaney situation went down the way it did.  He was obviously not happy here, and it showed in his performance.  That said, his performance here was never "one of the best in the country".  Our lines were not dominant.  Sam wasn't a slouch, and I really liked him.  But he left us in a bad spot numbers wise, and checked out last season.  And that's not to mention the field goal protection...

secneahog

Oline sure did look sloppy early on, with such a veteran group.   
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

3kgthog

We used to complain when we beat out most of the teams that have offered our current OL commits. Directional schools, also rans, etc. My how times have changed here.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 09, 2016, 09:28:56 am
We used to complain when we beat out most of the teams that have offered our current OL commits. Directional schools, also rans, etc. My how times have changed here.

I guess you fail to recognize the difference in getting that commitment in January, a week before NSD, and 10 months away from NSD. My, how your bitching never changes, always wrong, but never changing.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2016, 09:35:16 am
I guess you fail to recognize the difference in getting that commitment in January, a week before NSD, and 10 months away from NSD. My, how your bitching never changes, always wrong, but never changing.

Exactly. The idea is to offer good talent before they're already way down the road with a bunch of other high-major schools. Players develop at different rates. Undiscovered talent is all over the place. Do the work and you'll find it. This is the time of year to offer the great talents who will draw tons of attention later. Complaining about this is sheer ignorance.
[CENSORED]!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2016, 09:35:16 am

+1

Pig in the Pokey

Funny I didn't read any of you guys blasts on Pittman a year and a half ago. Hogvilles finest always pile on the guy not here.

I liked Pittman then and I like him now and he is going to do really good things at Georgia.

In this same forum I see where CBB gets all the credit for all the great recruits. But yet in this same forum Pittman is blamed for offensive line recruiting????!

What is your point? nobody hated petrino before he imploded the program, either. Sam showed his true colors in those 18 months you think don't matter. Our O-Line regressed over the off-season, he failed to secure half of the recruits he needed that cycle, talked a bunch of darn about our HC and the program, let a bunch of people down, and then left to re-united with his lost lover. so, yeah, NOW WE hate him. He's a petty person. He is an average selfish [CENSORED]; but , yeah, we once thought otherwise. Opinions change about people. What planet have you been on?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

wait, I get it now. YOU are trying to say there is something wrong with us for thinking that. YOU ARE A NUTT-HUGGER! busted. you were trying to say sam is like nutt to us. You mad bro? nutthugger spotted, guys...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HogFoo

Pittman was a good coach when he was happy. When hes happy he's really a good recruiter.  But when hes butthurt, he kind of mails it in like he did last season.  It is so obvious now in hindsight that Pittman was.  I bet our FG protection is 100x better than last season.  Id almost say i bet we dont allow a FG to be blocked.  We allowed more blocks last year than weve had probably in 10yrs combined. And id say that falls on a butthurt Pittman crying over his buddy chaney still.  Now that they are both at UGA, together again, im guessing they can share a milkshake together again and massages.  I imagine , pittman will put some work in again for at least a couple of years until chaney gets fired cuz his offense stinks, then pittman will throw another hissy and leave soon thereafter.  Sounds kind brokeback mountain like.  "I wish i could quit you"
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogFoo on April 09, 2016, 11:19:29 am
Pittman was a good coach when he was happy. When hes happy he's really a good recruiter.  But when hes butthurt, he kind of mails it in like he did last season.  It is so obvious now in hindsight that Pittman was.  I bet our FG protection is 100x better than last season.  Id almost say i bet we dont allow a FG to be blocked.  We allowed more blocks last year than weve had probably in 10yrs combined. And id say that falls on a butthurt Pittman crying over his buddy chaney still.  Now that they are both at UGA, together again, im guessing they can share a milkshake together again and massages.  I imagine , pittman will put some work in again for at least a couple of years until chaney gets fired cuz his offense stinks, then pittman will throw another hissy and leave soon thereafter.  Sounds kind brokeback mountain like.  "I wish i could quit you"
that's exactly what it sounds like. #Fat-backmountain
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

can't believe a hugger showed his head. It was like a siberian unicorn sighting!
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

April 09, 2016, 12:04:04 pm #61 Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:03:10 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 08, 2016, 11:27:45 am
people who are "amazing" because of emotion and personality are only amazing when they are happy. That is so true, and they become equally toxic when unhappy. Very emotional people are like that.

True sometimes but not all do the time. Don't equate emotions with personality. They are not the same thing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

if he's a great recruiter , where are the results ? why are we so short on o-linemen ? Anyone decent can be great at Georgia with all the talent in that area . Georgia will have low sack numbers because of a great running game . that team is loaded so pittman should look like a super coach
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2016, 09:50:59 am
Exactly. The idea is to offer good talent before they're already way down the road with a bunch of other high-major schools. Players develop at different rates. Undiscovered talent is all over the place. Do the work and you'll find it. This is the time of year to offer the great talents who will draw tons of attention later. Complaining about this is sheer ignorance.
i disagree BP . It's more agenda than ignorance . he knows what he is doing
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Smokehouse

Quote from: HogFoo on April 09, 2016, 11:19:29 am

Statistically that might be likely just from normal regression to the mean :D
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Kevin

Sam just took the big paycheck, the minute Chaney left, as soon as Chaney got to a place that could pay him, he left
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2016, 08:21:49 pm
Sam just took the big paycheck, the minute Chaney left, as soon as Chaney got to a place that could pay him, he left

This is what happened. It was just a paycheck the last year.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2016, 09:50:59 am

How does this fall into the more offers early argument?  LOL

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 09, 2016, 03:23:28 pm
i disagree BP . It's more agenda than ignorance . he knows what he is doing

I agree he knew what he was doing!  Mailed it in!

Cinco de Hogo

Now back to the subject,  looking at the recruits and considering that they are HS do you think we might be going a tad lighter?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on April 09, 2016, 08:49:39 pm
Now back to the subject,  looking at the recruits and considering that they are HS do you think we might be going a tad lighter?

They likely just feel like they can add weight effectively.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2016, 08:55:53 pm
They likely just feel like they can add weight effectively.

But isn't that a little different, seems the last few years we've leaned more towards taking weight off effectively.  I'm not saying it's 100% in all cases I'm just guessing that may be the trend right now.

HamSammich

Just name me one Assistant coach that has left in the last three years that hogville has good words about? Yet The narrative is that CBB hires great assistants according to here.....

CBB is a great talent evaluator and recruiting is great at Arkansas according to Hogville(I actually agree).
"Insert ex-assistant coach name" was a horrible recruiter its his fault we are weak in that area in recruits.

These are ironic conundrums that you guys completely ignore. And you go on and on in an infinite loop with them.

Fact is that some great assistants and some poor assistants have left. Fact is CBB hits and misses on assistants like every other human because..... he is human.

Nothing wrong with Pittman. He will do fine at Georgia.

factchecker

Quote from: HamSammich on April 09, 2016, 10:34:39 pm
Just name me one Assistant coach that has left in the last three years that hogville has good words about?

Charlie Patridge
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Just name me one Assistant coach that has left in the last three years that hogville has good words about? Yet The narrative is that CBB hires great assistants according to here.....

CBB is a great talent evaluator and recruiting is great at Arkansas according to Hogville(I actually agree).
"Insert ex-assistant coach name" was a horrible recruiter its his fault we are weak in that area in recruits.

These are ironic conundrums that you guys completely ignore. And you go on and on in an infinite loop with them.

Fact is that some great assistants and some poor assistants have left. Fact is CBB hits and misses on assistants like every other human because..... he is human.

Nothing wrong with Pittman. He will do fine at Georgia.
Most everyone but Wildhog liked Thomas and Singleton.  You can kiss up to Sam all you want but the problems he left are obvious.  1. Numbers.  2. Trouble getting short yardage all season but especially bad line play at the start 3. Field goal protection.

Now you can pretend those issues don't exist, but it would be a pretty hard argument to take seriously.

factchecker

Just name me one Assistant coach that has left in the last three years that hogville has good words about?

Do you even know who Charlie Patridge is?

He was our defensive line coach/special team coordinator who left to take the head coaching job at FAU.  Coach Bielema brought him from Wisconsin.  He was one of our key recruiting links to Florida and he helped us land Alex Collins.

People were upset he left but I don't remember anyone talking bad about him or saying Coach Seagrest is better.

So yeah.... I can name one.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Paul

We've had trouble in short yardage situations for a while which is weird considering how big our oline was

PorkRinds

I almost feel like the reason Chaney and Pittman are joined at the hip is because pittman's blocking scheme is better with a pass happy offense like the one Chaney likes to run. I always thought our pass blocking was more effective than our run blocking was.

Hawgzinbowlz

If we were currently stocked with an overabundance of high level offensive linemen , SP would deserve kudos.

If, during Sam's time here, The Hogs had a high percentage of success in needed short yardage situations, SP would deserve the credit.

Pittman was a decent coach and his last year here could have been better...particularly special teams blocking.

Coach Anderson is very engaged and he seems to bring a high level of technical knowledge...also, the recruits are seemingly buying into his selling of The Hogs.

Good that Coach KA is on campus.

" GO HOGS "

Kevin

thomas good coach below average recruit
Singleton hardly knew him but we did not fumble
Partridge take him back tomorrow
Shannon not a good fit
Ash not a good fit
Chaney not very good
Pittman good until Chaney left
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on April 10, 2016, 07:32:36 am
thomas good coach below average recruit
Singleton hardly knew him but we did not fumble
Partridge take him back tomorrow
Shannon not a good fit
Ash not a good fit (got some undeserved blame)
Chaney not very good
Pittman good until Chaney left

Agree with most of it. But I added a point for emphasis. Ash, I believe, would have eventually given us a good defense. He just had a depleted roster when he got here. The fact that he jumped ship to OSU should tell you something. And now he's a head coach. He's a darn good coach that came into a weak defensive roster that wasn't suited to what he does. On the rest I agree completely. Although I still think Chaney's offense can work, just not really a fit with coach B and his play calling was head scratching at times.

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 10, 2016, 08:02:52 am
Agree with most of it. But I added a point for emphasis. Ash, I believe, would have eventually given us a good defense. He just had a depleted roster when he got here. The fact that he jumped ship to OSU should tell you something. And now he's a head coach. He's a darn good coach that came into a weak defensive roster that wasn't suited to what he does. On the rest I agree completely. Although I still think Chaney's offense can work, just not really a fit with coach B and his play calling was head scratching at times.

Totally agree

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 10, 2016, 08:02:52 am

Well yeah, stick around and take the time to recruit and develop players when you are recruiting against the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etc, or take the short route to Ohio State instead of having to invest time, labor and angst?  Could he have produced a really good defense here eventually? Probably. But I am not sure (in retrospect) that he knew what he was getting himself into when he came to Arkansas and when he grasped the task at hand, he headed back north where assisting in Coordinating a defense already stocked with really good players and easier competition across the board, was an easier task and a shorter road to a HC'ing job. But that's JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2016, 01:40:19 pm
Well yeah, stick around and take the time to recruit and develop players when you are recruiting against the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, etc, or take the short route to Ohio State instead of having to invest time, labor and angst?  Could he have produced a really good defense here eventually? Probably. But I am not sure (in retrospect) that he knew what he was getting himself into when he came to Arkansas and when he grasped the task at hand, he headed back north where assisting in Coordinating a defense already stocked with really good players and easier competition across the board, was an easier task and a shorter road to a HC'ing job. But that's JMO.

No argument from me at all.

jgphillips3

Pittman is a good coach.  Saban made a run at him.  That alone tells you he is a quality coach.  I believe he mailed it in after his Herero life partner shipped out.  I also believe Anderson may be an upgrade.  However, I'm not going to diss a coach that was good enough for Saban to try to hire because he knows more football than I ever will.  We can all praise the new guy without acting like a bunch of women and running down the old guy.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 10, 2016, 02:43:00 pm
Pittman is a good coach.  Saban made a run at him.  That alone tells you he is a quality coach.  I believe he mailed it in after his Herero life partner shipped out.  I also believe Anderson may be an upgrade.  However, I'm not going to diss a coach that was good enough for Saban to try to hire because he knows more football than I ever will.  We can all praise the new guy without acting like a bunch of women and running down the old guy.
As I said on another thread much of the criticism and negative response may be attributable to a natural feeling of "when your with us you're naturally part of our family and we'll try to always be positive toward you; however if, and when, you leave us you lose that protection and you're on the outside looking in". While such an attitude might not necessarily be proper or even rationale, I think it's just human nature. It's the old "you're either for us or totally against us".

Not trying to "diss" or otherwise go after Pittman. However, I think any one who watched the performance of the Oline (especially early in the season) and the porous blocking on special teams toward the end of the year would have to conclude that something wasn't exactly right. Whether or not ole Sam was truly upset and disgruntled about his bosom buddy Chaney having left or not, or there was some other issue(s), I certainly got the impression that Pittman's overall body of work last season was NOT up to the standards many of us expected/hoped it would be.

Steef

In tournaments it is not enough to be a connoisseur of chess; one must also play well.    Siegbert Tarrasch

I would add, it is not enough to be a great coach. One must also coach well.

Cinco de Hogo

The short of it is that dispite recruiting a bunch of lineman that looked all world the actually performance most times left something to be desired.  While he was sn Arkansas coach he got the protection afforded an Arkansas coach on Hogville.  Now he's not and the truer feelings come out. 

I'm sure others are like me in that we didn't brother fighting about it since it wasn't that big a thing.  It's not like we weren't as good, almost as good or better at times than in the past.  Just not quite what we expected out of him.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Steef on April 10, 2016, 04:43:26 pm
In tournaments it is not enough to be a connoisseur of chess; one must also play well.    Siegbert Tarrasch

Nice
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Steef on April 10, 2016, 04:43:26 pm

Very nice and appropriate saying.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 10, 2016, 04:33:02 pm
As I said on another thread much of the criticism and negative response may be attributable to a natural feeling of "when your with us you're naturally part of our family and we'll try to always be positive toward you; however if, and when, you leave us you lose that protection and you're on the outside looking in". While such an attitude might not necessarily be proper or even rationale, I think it's just human nature. It's the old "you're either for us or totally against us".

Not trying to "diss" or otherwise go after Pittman. However, I think any one who watched the performance of the Oline (especially early in the season) and the porous blocking on special teams toward the end of the year would have to conclude that something wasn't exactly right. Whether or not ole Sam was truly upset and disgruntled about his bosom buddy Chaney having left or not, or there was some other issue(s), I certainly got the impression that Pittman's overall body of work last season was NOT up to the standards many of us expected/hoped it would be.

I would agree with you.  I think he knew he was leaving and didn't keep trying which makes him an ass but I think he was still a good coach.  The distinction between doing a bad job versus being a bad coach seems to be lost on some posters. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 10, 2016, 08:55:48 pm
I would agree with you.  I think he knew he was leaving and didn't keep trying which makes him an ass but I think he was still a good coach.  The distinction between doing a bad job versus being a bad coach seems to be lost on some posters.

Has anyone actually said he's a bad coach?

HamSammich

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 10, 2016, 04:33:02 pm

I like your take... but I disagree on one point. I think the line starting off bad showed lack of conditioning to lack of a hard preseason. I think CBB went soft on them. I would bet a dime right now that he pushes the team this preseason.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: factchecker on April 09, 2016, 10:41:47 pm

I don't remember anyone talking bad about him or saying Coach Seagrest is better.

That would be because Segrest is not.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

TomBigBeeHog

This is what I recall and I concur.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

PorkRinds

It's a good thing you guys are here to perform such an important public service.  I mean, what would happen if there was no one here to defend the coach at Georgia from such mean folks who look at his results last year and conclude his heart wasn't in it? After all, it's shocking that there would be any hard feelings after the way he left.  Good thing we have you guys here to make sure Pittman doesn't get his feelings hurt.  If you like Georgia's coach so much, I'm sure they have a forum.

southarkhog06

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2016, 08:17:01 am
It's a good thing you guys are here to perform such an important public service.  I mean, what would happen if there was no one here to defend the coach at Georgia from such mean folks who look at his results last year and conclude his heart wasn't in it? After all, it's shocking that there would be any hard feelings after the way he left.  Good thing we have you guys here to make sure Pittman doesn't get his feelings hurt.  If you like Georgia's coach so much, I'm sure they have a forum.
I think a lot of them are the MA cult who like to nitpick CBB, because for some reason in their brain it is a football vs basketball thing. (FTR I think CBB fans dissing on CMA in JB is equally stupid).

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HamSammich on April 10, 2016, 09:41:09 pm
I like your take... but I disagree on one point. I think the line starting off bad showed lack of conditioning to lack of a hard preseason. I think CBB went soft on them. I would bet a dime right now that he pushes the team this preseason.
remember the whole "we don't need 2-a-days" bit?
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 11, 2016, 10:27:06 am
remember the whole "we don't need 2-a-days" bit?

Remember when there isn't 2-a -days in pads anymore?

LRHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2016, 01:40:19 pm

Most people would take that path of least resistance. it takes someone #uncommon to compete with what we're up against every year. I'm sure Ash is a good coach but the amount of work needed here to be competitive isn't for everyone.