Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kurt Anderson cleaning up Pittman's mess

Started by BoynamedWooPigSooie, April 07, 2016, 11:13:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

3 OT commits in just a couple months or so on the job.   I applaud his efforts. We'll see how he does in reeling the big fish in, but it appears he'll be able to do so given time to strengthen connections and build rapport with recruits.

The depth issues on the line didn't just sneak up on us, Sam owes the state money.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HamSammich

I don't really subscribe in the hogville belief that every ex razorback coach was a pile of crap and owes us.

And Ill also say that these three recruits may be really big star signings when its all playd out. The tape I've seen looks really good.

Love the O-line recruits so far.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Well I believe he took an extended vacation on our dime.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on April 07, 2016, 11:33:10 pm
I don't really subscribe in the hogville belief that every ex razorback coach was a pile of crap and owes us.

And Ill also say that these three recruits may be really big star signings when its all playd out. The tape I've seen looks really good.

Love the O-line recruits so far.

Pittman was a good recruiter that brought in some big time talent.  He just didn't bring in NEAR enough of it, and our lack of depth proves it.  Having two HS OT commits this early in the cycle makes me very happy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on April 07, 2016, 11:40:10 pm
Well I believe he took an extended vacation on our dime.

And yes, I believe he phoned it in last year. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2016, 09:23:54 am
And yes, I believe he phoned it in last year.

That's pretty obvious. Once his friend Chaney was seemingly thrown under the bus he had one foot out the door. Waiting on a job he could jump to. Pittman was a good recruiter no doubt.  But only when he was fully committed. Our lack of depth is squarely on his shoulders. He and CBB.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 09:34:24 am
That's pretty obvious. Once his friend Chaney was seemingly thrown under the bus he had one foot out the door. Waiting on a job he could jump to. Pittman was a good recruiter no doubt.  But only when he was fully committed. Our lack of depth is squarely on his shoulders. He and CBB.

Agree with all of this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Seebs

Weathersby is what opened my eyes to this conspiracy theory. Just how the heck did we lose him again? Oh yeah, neglect.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hollywood_HOGan45

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 08, 2016, 10:17:40 am
Sam was way overrated.

Towards the end, yes.  And I also now believe that he was a big part of our kicking game woes because Anderson came in and completely revamped our FG blocking.  I think Pittman is a stud, but only when he's happy and he wasn't happy here towards the end evidently.  When he left I didn't think we'd be able to replace him and upgrade like we usually do.  But at this point, if Pittman was going to keep it up the way he had been since Chaney left, we needed the change and Anderson is an upgrade.  I'm not claiming he's a better coach, that remains to be seen.  But he's more committed and happier to be here.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on April 07, 2016, 11:13:21 pm
3 OT commits in just a couple months or so on the job.   I applaud his efforts. We'll see how he does in reeling the big fish in, but it appears he'll be able to do so given time to strengthen connections and build rapport with recruits.

The depth issues on the line didn't just sneak up on us, Sam owes the state money.

I don't see 3 OL commitments.  I only see one DT and one OLM commit.  I did hear that the DT may swing over to OL.  Is what you are hearing?  But who is the 3rd.

Wildhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 08, 2016, 10:55:40 am
I don't see 3 OL commitments.  I only see one DT and one OLM commit.  I did hear that the DT may swing over to OL.  Is what you are hearing?  But who is the 3rd.

He's talking about Paul Ramirez from the 2016 class, I'm assuming.

And the "DT," Dwayne Fisher, plays both ways in high school.  We're recruiting him as an OT. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

jjdlc

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 10:50:56 am
Towards the end, yes.  And I also now believe that he was a big part of our kicking game woes because Anderson came in and completely revamped our FG blocking.  I think Pittman is a stud, but only when he's happy and he wasn't happy here towards the end evidently.  When he left I didn't think we'd be able to replace him and upgrade like we usually do.  But at this point, if Pittman was going to keep it up the way he had been since Chaney left, we needed the change and Anderson is an upgrade.  I'm not claiming he's a better coach, that remains to be seen.  But he's more committed and happier to be here.

Before last year, I would never have believed it, but It really does look that way. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: jjdlc on April 08, 2016, 11:23:27 am
Before last year, I would never have believed it, but It really does look that way.

Dude, me too.  I've come to this realization in the last few months.  Pittman was flat out mad at CBB for the way he treated Chaney, right or wrong.  And it showed in his performance.  How about the beginning of the season when we couldn't block cupcake teams?  Kind of puts that into a new perspective too, doesn't it?  It seems like there were times where Pittman flat out wasn't doing his job.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 10:50:56 am
people who are "amazing" because of emotion and personality are only amazing when they are happy. That is so true, and they become equally toxic when unhappy. Very emotional people are like that.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 08, 2016, 11:27:45 am
people who are "amazing" because of emotion and personality are only amazing when they are happy. That is so true, and they become equally toxic when unhappy. Very emotional people are like that.

I would agree with that.  I don't know him, so I don't know if he's emotional.  But his success seemed to be mostly personality based without a doubt. 

Pig in the Pokey

We haven't seen nothin yet. Wait until our guys are blowing up the other teams DL with superior technique in a year and a half from now...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

King Kong

No doubt we need more numbers at the Oline. But the quality of Olineman Pittboss brought in I will never dismiss.

Skipper, Wallace, Ragnow, Tretola and Merrick could have gone a lot of other places

PorkRinds

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 11:58:28 am
No doubt we need more numbers at the Oline. But the quality of Olineman Pittboss brought in I will never dismiss.

Skipper, Wallace, Ragnow, Tretola and Merrick could have gone a lot of other places

No doubt he brought in some studs.  I give him credit for it.  But he flopped with the numbers.

King Kong

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 12:01:38 pm
No doubt he brought in some studs.  I give him credit for it.  But he flopped with the numbers.

Yeah, I agree numbers wise he didn't get it done.

But if given the option I would also rather have stud players than the right numbers with sub par talent.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HamSammich on April 07, 2016, 11:33:10 pm

Well, when a guy like Pittman slips out the back he owes us.  Remember, "I don't need a non-compete clause?"

I was mad but now I want payback and I think our new O-line coach will contribute to that result.

Kevin

He should have been taking care of his job responsibilities
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogfreak on April 08, 2016, 01:58:25 pm
Alright so I'm a police officer and a couple of months back I stop a car on interstate 40 and the guy tells me he is heading to take a job at Georgia with the football program. No it wasn't Sam it was a guy who played for Mississippi State and was a current GA for UCA. I can't remember the name. He said he was gonna work with Pittman as a GA. I asked him why Pittman left and his words were because he was tired of taking care of Bielema's drunk ass. At that point I figured there was nothing we could do and it was best for Pittman to leave because apparently they were not getting along.

Pittman left because he was butt hurt about how CBB treated Chaney.  It got pretty ugly on the way out, so there's no telling what all has been said from both sides. I have no doubt that CBB likes to partake in the strong drink.  Tito's to be exact.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 02:06:00 pm
Pittman left because he was butt hurt about how CBB treated Chaney.  It got pretty ugly on the way out, so there's no telling what all has been said from both sides. I have no doubt that CBB likes to partake in the strong drink.  Tito's to be exact.

And Sam was no teetataler, either, lol.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 02:29:25 pm
And Sam was no teetataler, either, lol.

Yep.  One drunk guy claiming he has to babysit his drunk buddy is pretty rich. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

You know what everybody does in the Midwest?  They get hammered.  The culture change starts the minute you cross into Missouri.  Joplin for example probably has 10 times the bars per capita of Benton and/or Washington county.

Most Midwest cities there's a neighborhood bar on every corner, and it's not a bad thing.  I have no problem with coaches getting liquored up as long as they take care of their business and don't go all Sark or Jive Kevin Sumlin.

As far as Pittman leaving BB used it to get better and younger just like when Chaney left and we are seeing the results before the first game.  Nice shot of youthful exuberance.

As far as the deep and enduring fat man love bond shared by Pittman and Chaney when shouldn't mock but admire two men so dedicated to each other.  In the end love wins and that's all that matters. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgmasta

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 02:30:21 pm
Yep.  One drunk guy claiming he has to babysit his drunk buddy is pretty rich.

Yeah I don't believe you get to Sam's beer belly size just by eating. He is a big guy and it's totally possible but some beer and whiskey help that gut get on that body by jack diet.

JIHawg

The thing that got my attention about Pittman-he had 16 jobs in 24 years of coaching, or something like that.

Redbug

Pitman seemed like a superstar because we'd been through 10 yrs of Markuson who couldn't last one season at Wisconsin...a couple of years where Summers did an adequate job with little talent before heading back to Kentucky...and then the guy from Nevada...who was mediocre at best....and not really that...

Anderson seems to bring Enthusiasm, Knowledge from both playing for a P5 power school, coming up through the lower coaching ranks earning his stripes....coaching in the NFL with what seems like respect from both players and fellow coaches. Here's to hoping it translates to bringing in our share of the kind of quality individuals both on and off the field that will help us reach the ultimate success.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

Quote from: Redbug on April 08, 2016, 03:05:26 pm
Pitman seemed like a superstar because we'd been through 10 yrs of Markuson who couldn't last one season at Wisconsin...a couple of years where Summers did an adequate job with little talent before heading back to Kentucky...and then the guy from Nevada...who was mediocre at best....and not really that...

Pittman is one of the best Oline coaches in college football. They way he turned around that Vols Oline in his one's season there is one of the best coaching jobs I have ever seen

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

jjdlc

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 03:29:31 pm
Pittman is one of the best Oline coaches in college football. They way he turned around that Vols Oline in his one's season there is one of the best coaching jobs I have ever seen

Nobody is really arguing that, the discussion is more that most feel he phoned it in last year, both in recruiting, and possibly on the field.

JIHawg

Quote from: jjdlc on April 08, 2016, 05:03:58 pm
Nobody is really arguing that, the discussion is more that most feel he phoned it in last year, both in recruiting, and possibly on the field.

Agree totally.

King Kong

Quote from: jjdlc on April 08, 2016, 05:03:58 pm

The post I quoted appeared to be hinting that he wasn't all that

PorkRinds

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 05:12:10 pm
The post I quoted appeared to be hinting that he wasn't all that

He's certainly a good coach and a great recruiter. But I don't see anything he did here that would support the claim that he's one of the best in the country. His lines were never dominant and his recruiting suffered from a lack of numbers and left us in a bad spot.

poloprince

I didn't see the mess. What was it again?
$PoLoPrInCe$

elviscat

Our coaching staff needs to be on crash diet and get a body by Herb. They look horrible. They are taking years off their lives by the eaten habits. I know it must wear on them, carry all that exceeds baggage.

ricepig

Quote from: poloprince on April 08, 2016, 05:29:51 pm
I didn't see the mess. What was it again?

I guess he's referring to the early season play, and the lack of o-linemen numbers on the roster, what do you think he's talking about?

King Kong

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2016, 05:18:47 pm
He's certainly a good coach and a great recruiter. But I don't see anything he did here that would support the claim that he's one of the best in the country. His lines were never dominant and his recruiting suffered from a lack of numbers and left us in a bad spot.

Our sack numbers were among best all three years he was here and we had a very good running attack in the best defensive conference. Maybe that doesn't put him as one of the best in your book, but it doesn't in mine.

Was the line always great? No, and the holding penalties early last year probably cost us the Toledo and A&M games. But overall, it was pretty darn good

theFlyingHog

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 07:57:39 pm
Our sack numbers were among best all three years he was here and we had a very good running attack in the best defensive conference. Maybe that doesn't put him as one of the best in your book, but it doesn't in mine.

Was the line always great? No, and the holding penalties early last year probably cost us the Toledo and A&M games. But overall, it was pretty darn good
The sack numbers got a big help from BA being under orders to get rid of the football.
We did have a good run game, except when the other team knew we were going to run it(have to discard 4th quarter against lsu after we'd done whooped em and they quit, we did run all over them when they knew it was coming)

King Kong

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 08, 2016, 09:25:54 pm
The sack numbers got a big help from BA being under orders to get rid of the football.
We did have a good run game, except when the other team knew we were going to run it(have to discard 4th quarter against lsu after we'd done whooped em and they quit, we did run all over them when they knew it was coming)

When the Vols had Tyler Bray at QB his one season their the sack number there were low as well (one every 43 attempts). I'll go on an bet UGA's sack number will be low as well. Pittman is an excellent coach.

PorkRinds

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 10:10:56 pm
When the Vols had Tyler Bray at QB his one season their the sack number there were low as well (one every 43 attempts). I'll go on an bet UGA's sack number will be low as well. Pittman is an excellent coach.

When he's happy.  Tell me about our blocking on field goals.  Which was his responsibility.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on April 08, 2016, 10:10:56 pm

Yeah, he likes max protection calls, keep a TE in, and your back/backs. I thought he was a good recruiter and coach, time will tell if we've made an improvement.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 10:16:20 pm
Yeah, he likes max protection calls, keep a TE in, and your back/backs. I thought he was a good recruiter and coach, time will tell if we've made an improvement.
EXACTLY. And that year at Tenner w Bray and them they had 2 straight FREAKS at WR. So the call is, "max protect; throw it up to the beasts". It wasn't genius. Was Nutt-esque, actually.
@Slackaveli

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2016, 10:16:20 pm
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 08, 2016, 10:58:45 pm
EXACTLY. And that year at Tenner w Bray and them they had 2 straight FREAKS at WR. So the call is, "max protect; throw it up to the beasts". It wasn't genius. Was Nutt-esque, actually.

When he was with the Vols not a lot of max protect like here and still successful. He is a top oline coach. Saying that doesn't mean KA isn't as good or even better as a coach.

https://youtu.be/wV_QB_IcElU

https://youtu.be/YYOICmvWRq4

https://youtu.be/57epDFen2A4

https://youtu.be/9AhNmkkhLiU

HamSammich

Funny I didn't read any of you guys blasts on Pittman a year and a half ago. Hogvilles finest always pile on the guy not here.

I liked Pittman then and I like him now and he is going to do really good things at Georgia.

All the hate in this forum is exceptional.

Everyone not at Arkansas either recruit or coach is crap to you guys.

In this same forum I see where CBB gets all the credit for all the great recruits. But yet in this same forum Pittman is blamed for offensive line recruiting????!

Lol at all of you and I am.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 09, 2016, 05:56:21 am #47 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:17:52 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Pittman probably wasn't as good as many of us thought, but he also wasn't as bad as some of us want to say now, which probably stems more than anything else from the collective butthurt about him taking off to Georgia after telling Bielema that he didn't need a non-compete because he wasn't going anywhere. I hate to say this because I really like Coach Bielema, but it is as much his fault for leaving that door open (contractually) as it was for Pittman breaking his word to Bielema. Trust, but verify. Situations change and contract terms just help keep everyone honest.

Do I wish him every success at Georgia? Not at all. I hope he is unable to produce a single, really good O-Line just because he works for a future opponent. But that probably won't be the case. He is too experienced and Georgia lands some really talented recruits.

At the moment I am excited about Anderson and the potential of what he is trying to teach the O-Line, I think that is really going to help us in our blocking schemes when presented with a variety of fronts that involve slants, twists and blitz packages. Better than Pittman was? I hope so and time will tell. Whether he is a better talent evaluator or not, remains to be seen, but he certainly seems to be a more active recruiter.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Sam disappointed me.

It came as a surprise. I was expecting more than we got.

I hope Kurt is better. Professionally and personally.

southeasthog

April 09, 2016, 07:11:41 am #49 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:52:24 am by southeasthog
Quote from: HamSammich on April 09, 2016, 01:43:12 am

Everyone not at Arkansas either recruit or coach is crap to you guys.

Well no $hit Sherlock. Most here are Arkansas Razorback Fans. Except for the few of you who are Petrino or Gus fans. I don't give a rat's behind about coaches or players who aren't here. I may wish some of them well and success but that is as far as it goes. There are a select few that have to leave or are run off due to no fault of their own so I might follow there career somewhat. Your boy Pittman is not one of those. He got his panties in a wad because his buddy Chaney was told to look around. Told Bielema, "I'm not going anywhere. I don't need to sign a non-compete." All the while knowing he was unhappy and upset. So, yeah. Some of us don't think he hung the moon. Sorry for being a HOG Fan.