Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State #84 in ESPN's Initial Preseason FPI

Started by Seminole Indian, February 14, 2017, 07:51:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Not bad at all for a G5, especially one that is replacing their entire offensive line, and a couple of key backups.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/129505/ohio-state-is-no-1-in-preseason-fpi-1-0

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Dropkick

That makes them a top twenty team in that level of play right?

Seminole Indian

I did not count the G5's ahead of them but they are buy any measure( attendance, budget, facilities, etc.) one of that top 20-25 G5 programs.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

Memphis is highest at 43

21st actually 3rd in Sun Belt behind App St and Troy

Seminole Indian

That is about right, but they don't play AppSt next year and get Troy at home so while I do expect another slow start, I would not be surprised if A-State went undefeated in SBC play (should have this year).

Anderson seems to think they are as talented, if not more talented than last years team ( which was the most talented in the SBC), and have the benefit of having a returning starter at QB.

The key is how long it takes for the OL to gel, and everyone, including their coaches, agree the new players on the OL are a lot more talented than those leaving.

DeltaBoy

I have been real proud of the Job that ASU done the past 8 or so years. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

holeinthewall

The SMU game is the key to the season. Win that ASU goes 2-2 in non con with a shot at 10 wins.  Lose that and 1-3 start is bad again.

Seminole Indian

February 15, 2017, 12:23:51 pm #7 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:36:11 pm by Seminole Indian
Anderson is really taking a lot of flack for their slow starts and their OOC record, and he really needs to come out of the first four games 2-2, but it will not be easy.

One thing that would help them get over the hump would be the offense performing close to the level that was expected when they hired Anderson.

They certainly have the talent, but have been inconsistent since he took over as HC, and that is something he is getting pressure do something about, and fast. That is why he will be calling plays and coaching the QB's, and the scoop from insiders on their message board is he was not asked to make the change--he was told to make it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 15, 2017, 10:49:39 am
The SMU game is the key to the season. Win that ASU goes 2-2 in non con with a shot at 10 wins.  Lose that and 1-3 start is bad again.

I wouldn't say a 1-3 start is automatically a bad start. I mean it IS SMU and not another FCS school or even a bad FBS school. The SMU game is on the road and should be looked as a tossup as to the predicted winner. It really depends on how ASU plays in that game. If they play good but lose then a 1-3 start won't look all that disgraceful considering the schedule. But play bad enough to get blown out vs the Mustangs? Yeah that would be a "bad" start.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

IMO they have more than enough talent to go 2-2, but you cannot ignore the fact that they have taken a while to get going under Anderson & Company, for whatever reason.

I do not expect their OL will be clicking by SMU, but they are so much more physically talented than last years OL that they will not have to in order to win because their defense should again be above average.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 15, 2017, 08:17:34 am
I have been real proud of the Job that ASU done the past 8 or so years.

IMO it's time for them to go to another level.