Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A State plays Toledo next week

Started by pignparadise, September 20, 2015, 10:06:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

At Toledo. Should be interesting........
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: pignparadise on September 20, 2015, 10:06:29 am
At Toledo. Should be interesting........
Not really..Toldeo is a good football team and will beat ASU.  They just beat 2 power 5 teams.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 20, 2015, 10:08:34 am
Not really..Toldeo is a good football team and will beat ASU.  They just beat 2 power 5 teams.

A-State had Missouri beat until their QB got hurt and didn't play the second half. Toledo is exhausted and racked up injuries in their OT win last night. The bright side is that this is nothing new because we got beat by ULM and then A-State blew them out two weeks later. I'm getting use to being a laughing stock.

ricepig

jkelly107

I don't follow A state but their athletic director seems to know how to hire football coaches

ke2743

They hung 70 on Missouri state last night.   I have a feeling if we played them this year we would lose. 

LR_Matt

ASU might win. UA would def lose against them. Why don't we play ASU??? Oh yeah, might get embarrassed.... Much better to lose to TT or Toledo than an in state school, right?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: LR_Matt on September 20, 2015, 11:48:20 am
ASU might win. UA would def lose against them. Why don't we play ASU??? Oh yeah, might get embarrassed.... Much better to lose to TT or Toledo than an in state school, right?
Actually I think they don't play because their is a school policy that prohibits them from doing so that predates anyone up there.

They apparently have no qualms about playing instate schools in post season competition.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ke2743 on September 20, 2015, 11:21:54 am
They hung 70 on Missouri state last night.   I have a feeling if we played them this year we would lose. 

Missouri State is 1-2 on the season.
Week 1- lost 63-7 to Memphis
Week 2-defeated Chadron State 21-13
Week 3- gave up 70 in the loss to ASU.
I wouldn't get too carried away by hanging 70 on the Bears.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogboarder

I wish they played. State will beat Toledo. Watch and see.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogboarder on September 20, 2015, 01:07:03 pm
I wish they played. State will beat Toledo. Watch and see.

Maybe so...if they do, good for the Red Wolves.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 20, 2015, 01:06:31 pm
Missouri State is 1-2 on the season.
Week 1- lost 63-7 to Memphis
Week 2-defeated Chadron State 21-13
Week 3- gave up 70 in the loss to ASU.
I wouldn't get too carried away by hanging 70 on the Bears.
and the ASU  coach said a much before the game, and held out several of their starters who were dinged up to get them ready for Toledo.

IMO they were as or more impressive than Memphis, and Memphis is considered one of the best G5 teams this year.

I would also like to add that I'm not convinced from reading this forum that posters here have a good feel about their own team at this point, much less ASU or the other G5's.

While I don't have a clue if ASU will beat Toledo, I do know they are the more talented team.

This should probably be moved to the "Other State College and University" forum.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GolfNut57

Karim Hunt, the star RB for Toledo tweaked his hamstring last night in the second OT period and had to leave the game. He was seen heading to the locker room with a bad limp shortly after. He may not be available for the game next week.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 20, 2015, 01:25:46 pm
and the ASU  coach said a much before the game, and held out several of their starters who were dinged up to get them ready for Toledo.

IMO they were as or more impressive than Memphis, and Memphis is considered one of the best G5 teams this year.

I would also like to add that I'm not convinced from reading this forum that posters here have a good feel about their own team at this point, much less ASU or the other G5's.

While I don't have a clue if ASU will beat Toledo, I do know they are the more talented team.

This should probably be moved to the "Other State College and University" forum.

ASU is a good team. They played very well against Mizzou. No surprise they beat Missouri State like they did. Mo St. Isn't very good. I'm a fan of ASU, always root for them to win. Not sure about your comments about "their own team"...is it wrong for me to support both, along with UCA?

GolfNut57

Only player I am aware that was held out last night was the QB Knighten. Perhaps you would list what other starters ASU held out last night? Personally I think you are blowing BS here because there is no way ASU held out SEVERAL of their starters. A couple? Maybe.......but several? Hah!
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Seminole Indian

In addition to Knighten, J.Clark, D. Mondie, B.Taylor and X. Woodson were all dinged up a little but capable of playing but the coaches held them out for the whole game.

Rolland Jones, and W. Roberson, did not start but played.

Not sure about Knighten yet but the others should return as starters in the Toledo game.

GolfNut57

Mondie played last night and recorded two tackles. Woodson tweaked his hamstring in practice Monday and was not going to lay last night no matter what. Taylor is only a part time starter on defense and mostly plays on STs so he doesn't have that much effect on games. Jemar Clark wasn't held out last night just to rest up. He was held out because he STUNK vs Mizzou. But even so........that is only a FEW players that didn't play last night. Certainly not several.

Seminole Indian

September 20, 2015, 02:20:22 pm #18 Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:37:59 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 20, 2015, 02:08:30 pm
Mondie played last night. Woodson tweaked his hamstring in practice Monday and was not going to lay last night no matter what. Taylor is only a part time starter on defense and mostly plays on STs so he doesn't have that muich effect on games. Jemar Clark wasn't held out last night just to rest up. He was held out because he STUNK vs Mizzou. But even so........that is only a FEW players that didn't play last night. Certainly not several.
R. Mondie played, not his brother at center.

B. Taylor is the #1 cb, and they play a lot of players on defense.

The coach talked about clarks play last week on the radio, and said the fact he was hurt contributed to his poor performance, along with the fact he was playing the best DE he has seen in 9 years.

I did edit my post to add Rolland Jones, and Robinson not starting, and being limited.

Still these guys could have played, and did not.........that was simply mention in the context of the coaches knowing they were not facing a tough opponent, and even without these players ASU was as impressive as Memphis, who is regarded by most to be as good as, if not better than Toledo.

IMO ASU is more talented than Memphis, or Toledo.

Westcoasthog

Seminole Indian  -  there is no state policy that Arkansas and Arkansas State should not play each other.   Every other state university and state
school play each other in the United States of America.  What is the problem with Arkansas?  The University of Arkansas plays these Louisiana Monroe's
etc where they could keep this game in the State of Arkansas. and not give
the money to an out of state school. 

SPAL

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Westcoasthog on September 21, 2015, 02:39:08 am
   Seminole Indian  -  there is no state policy that Arkansas and Arkansas State should not play each other.   Every other state university and state
school play each other in the United States of America.  What is the problem with Arkansas?  The University of Arkansas plays these Louisiana Monroe's
etc where they could keep this game in the State of Arkansas. and not give
the money to an out of state school.
Not a state policy, and apparently only applies to scheduling, not playing. It's an Arkansas thing.

hoghiker

How about an A-state webpage. Glory daze all day everyday, right?

Hawghiggs

ASU vs. UofA should be the first game of the season every season. It should be played in Little Rock every year. I get that it won't and that's a shame. It would be a good fan experience for everyone.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 21, 2015, 02:40:33 am
Wager?
Apparently a lot of people do, and it should be an interesting game.

ASU is more athletic, has much better overall team speed, and really just has more talent across the board, so look for them to try, and wear down Toledo. Simply out athlete them.

The key for them is really just getting consistent play from their qb position, something that has not happened since prior to the AppSt game last year.

hoghiker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 21, 2015, 06:20:36 am
ASU vs. UofA should be the first game of the season every season. It should be played in Little Rock every year. I get that it won't and that's a shame. It would be a good fan experience for everyone.
Speak for yourself. Everyone is pretty inclusive. A-State fans maybe on the odd year they won but not so much the rest of the time.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hoghiker on September 21, 2015, 06:16:36 am
How about an A-state webpage. Glory daze all day everyday, right?
There is a forum here for this thread, all they have to do is move it.

Glory daze?

As far as what i think about ASU football.....I think they are now a solid 8 win +/- 1  G5 program, and should have a shot at a bowl game every year going forward.

For the record, as far as the UofA, I've said that for any 20 year period going forward they will have a slightly below .500 SEC record, so their OC schedule better be put together for wins.

I say this based on how both programs recruiting is going compared to their peers,

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hoghiker on September 21, 2015, 06:33:06 am
Speak for yourself. Everyone is pretty inclusive. A-State fans maybe on the odd year they won but not so much the rest of the time.
So you prefer UTEP?

wildwolf

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 20, 2015, 01:47:03 pm
Only player I am aware that was held out last night was the QB Knighten. Perhaps you would list what other starters ASU held out last night? Personally I think you are blowing BS here because there is no way ASU held out SEVERAL of their starters. A couple? Maybe.......but several? Hah!

Golfnut57, it is obvious that you do not know the players at ASU, or, you would have known about the Mondie brothers. One plays defense and one plays offense. ASU lost TWO starters for the year against Missouri and those two plus FIVE more players that STARTED against So. Cal and Missouri did not play. That's SEVEN out of 22 starters that DID NOT play against Missouri State!

Seminole Indian

Looks like ASU will get all of the players back that they held out last week. Toledo is a very physical team, so it is good they had the chance to hold them out and get them as healthy as possible.

Knighten is expected to start at qb.

If ASU can get good constant play from the qb position, they should be able to take advantage of some advantages they have in speed and athleticism on part of their skill players on offense.

wildwolf

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 23, 2015, 06:36:03 am
Looks like ASU will get all of the players back that they held out last week. Toledo is a very physical team, so it is good they had the chance to hold them out and get them as healthy as possible.

Knighten is expected to start at qb.

If ASU can get good constant play from the qb position, they should be able to take advantage of some advantages they have in speed and athleticism on part of their skill players on offense.

My money is on James Tabary starting.

Seminole Indian

With Knighten being so limited in practice you would think that would be the case.

Seminole Indian

September 23, 2015, 05:51:00 pm #32 Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:30:31 pm by Seminole Indian
Found this tweet on Howlyes.com:

Toledo coach Matt Campbell on Arkansas State: "as equally talented in my opinion as anyone we have played so far. Great skill players."

http://www.howlyes.com/

They are not as talented as Arkansas, but their receivers overall are better, and their RB's, TE's and OL are above average. ASU's only problem on offense has been inconsistent play at the qb position. Solve that and they are very good.

Toledo's big problem is that ASU's DL is playing better than anyone they have played to this point.

The DL they played in the bowl game ( the one that their DC said could not stop a hard charging marching band) is still on the roster but just did not make this years 2-deep.

None of ASU's first three opponents have been able to generate anywhere near as strong running game as Toledo did in the bowl game. If Toledo can't generate a strong running game, they could be in trouble, provided  ASU's qb does not do more damage than good.

Seminole Indian

September 24, 2015, 08:52:26 am #33 Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:10:35 am by Seminole Indian
Got to get focused on fishing and not football, but it does look like ASU is pretty healthy for this game, per their HC, and very, very focused.

They have been looking forward to this game since the bowl game, so there is no doubt that the effort will be there.

The key, according to their HC , is to exploit the speed advantage they have on both sides of the ball. He seems very confident.

Should be a very good game.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 24, 2015, 08:52:26 am
Got to get focused on fishing and not football, but it does look like ASU is pretty healthy for this game, per their HC, and very, very focused.

They have been looking forward to this game since the bowl game, so there is no doubt that the effort will be there.

The key, according to their HC , is to exploit the speed advantage they have on both sides of the ball. He seems very confident.

Should be a very good game.

Or a good, old fashioned thumping.  It seems your predictions about Astate's success this year were....hilarious at best.

Seminole Indian

October 16, 2015, 08:16:22 pm #35 Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:36:23 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2015, 01:07:11 pm
Or a good, old fashioned thumping.  It seems your predictions about Astate's success this year were....hilarious at best.
Poop happens, and for the record Toledo was only a 6-7 point favorite so it was expected to be a good game, and probably would have been  if their starting qb had been able to play.

While I did not watch the game, from reading the news accounts it appeared A-State just decided to spot them a few points. A-State's official site shows Toledo scored 34 points off turnovers.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3880606.pdf

Their drives ended on Fumble, Punt, Missed FG, Punt, Interception, Interception, Fumble, TOUCHDOWN, Punt, End of Half, Punt, Interception, Downs, Downs, and Punt, so it looks like they did a very good job of stopping themselves, ans setting up Toledo (and most that watched the game say the play of their qb was a big reason they performed as poorly as they did).

I don't think I recall predicting anything other than they should end up with 8 wins +/- 1, so aren't we a little early in saying I missed the mark.