Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think a Big 12 switch may be

Started by BoarnSupremacy, October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoarnSupremacy

a good thing.  Its no secret the texas recruiting has gone down alot since 1992.  Parents of texas recruits want to watch sons play in texas.  Its pretty obvious the present recruiting isn't enough.  The venues are alot closer and would build more fan support due to simple geography.  I don't think its running from competition as much as it is trying to improve our pitiful recruiting.  A year to year series with OU would be fun.  I think it should be considered.

Quickdraw

jst01

You also heard Stoops on Bo's show, too.

I agree tho.

Tusks

Only if MO, A/M and NE go with the hogs.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

I'd even say, punt WV and bring back CO.

razored

TexAss will never let go of any of the conference or TV revenue funds..

BoarnSupremacy

Whorns would have to give up the loser LHN to make it seem they want to help.  That probably wont happen.

Tusks

Quote from: razored on October 11, 2017, 07:02:13 pm
TexAss will never let go of any of the conference or TV revenue funds..

Oh it aint ever gonna happen just sayin. TX would also have to get rid of the LHN.

It would make a pretty good conference if they added AR, NE, MO, CO, A/M and everyone could just recruit the state of TX.

BoarnSupremacy

TX has 30 times the D1 players of Arkansas.  Texas AM hit the goldmine by switching to sec.  They wont go anywhere.

swineology

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm
a good thing.  Its no secret the texas recruiting has gone down alot since 1992.  Parents of texas recruits want to watch sons play in texas.  Its pretty obvious the present recruiting isn't enough.  The venues are alot closer and would build more fan support due to simple geography.  I don't think its running from competition as much as it is trying to improve our pitiful recruiting.  A year to year series with OU would be fun.  I think it should be considered.

Damn, this is next level shat compared to the Nutt fiasco

Throw that SEC $$$ down the drain and let's go lose to Chokelahoma, OSU, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech

My God, let the retardation continue, only on Hogville

Corkscrew Johnson

That conference is boring.   One bad coach and y'all are ready to spend your weekends in Lubbock and Ames for all of eternity.   Gross.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on October 11, 2017, 06:52:15 pm

Geez, hate to get into this at this time but the Big 12(10) is on precarious ground right now. They made a concious choice to not expand back to 12 teams. I do understand that they performed a study that indicated that none of the schools they looked at potentially adding (Houston, Cincy, Memphis, Colorado State, UCF, USF, etc.) would have given them the financial boost that they need from the standpoint of future t.v. revenue that they feel that they need.

I wonder how much revenue they feel they will get from a ten team conference if they continue down the path that they are now on? That's part of their problem, they have a tough time adding teams that add regional relevance to their conference. Everyone of any stature is already taken.

Their best bet would be essentially like "getting the band back together" with certain limitations.

They would have to throw a lot of money and guarantees (in conjunction with a joint deal with Fox and ESPN) at A&M, Missouri and Nebraska to return to the fold along with a another big wad of money to get Arkansas to leave the SEC and join the defection. That would move the Big 12 from 10 teams to 14 and provide them with greater financial stability and greater marketability as a conference for the long term. But that isn't going to happen and Arkansas isn't moving to a conference that is in danger of even surviving beyond 2025 as it stands right now.

This is less about wins and more about money and future stability than anything else and the Big 12 just doesn't have that kind of clout right now.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: swineology on October 11, 2017, 07:15:45 pm

Throw that SEC $$$ down the drain and let's go lose to Chokelahoma, OSU, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech

Because we're just absolutely kickin' ass right now and have been ever since we joined the SEC, right?

What do you want more, money or wins?

David†

David†

NotSoFastMyFriend

They need to add Houston and Memphis yesterday.

urkillnmesmalls

I've yet to hear anyone explain why a move to the Big 12 would help our recruiting.  We would still compete with the same schools we're competing against now for TX recruits, but the difference would be that the only differentiatior that we have, which is being in the SEC, would be lost.  How would that possibly help the situation?

We got punked by T Tech just a few years back, and TAMU has our number.  All I would see is that we would just add to the SEC allure that TAMU already enjoys, and we wouldn't get a single extra player from TX.  Meanwhile, we'd lose what chance we have of getting some OK kids who might prefer the SEC, and also lose ground in Northern LA as well. 

I could see a move if there's a big shakeup and conferences start looking at consolidating, but until then I don't see how it would help us in any way.  We would just move from an SEC also ran, to a similar fate in the Big 12, only now we would have to be under UT's thumb again, which would suck. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Ben

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 11, 2017, 07:18:12 pm
That conference is boring.   One bad coach and y'all are ready to spend your weekends in Lubbock and Ames for all of eternity.   Gross.
Like Oxford and Starkville is just top notch....
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 07:38:19 pm
I've yet to hear anyone explain why a move to the Big 12 would help our recruiting.  We would still compete with the same schools we're competing against now for TX recruits, but the difference would be that the only differentiatior that we have, which is being in the SEC, would be lost.  How would that possibly help the situation?

We got punked by T Tech just a few years back, and TAMU has our number.  All I would see is that we would just add to the SEC allure that TAMU already enjoys, and we wouldn't get a single extra player from TX.  Meanwhile, we'd lose what chance we have of getting some OK kids who might prefer the SEC, and also lose ground in Northern LA as well. 

I could see a move if there's a big shakeup and conferences start looking at consolidating, but until then I don't see how it would help us in any way.  We would just move from an SEC also ran, to a similar fate in the Big 12, only now we would have to be under UT's thumb again, which would suck. 

How does finishing 5-7 and 6-6 and 7-5 help?

From Tusk Till Dawn

What would our record be in the big 12?

Paul

Ben

This is what I'm talking about. Fans are more worried about Money (that they don't enjoy) then they are wins, but complain when we are a consistent mediocre team in the SEC. Only on hogville

If you think we would lose as much in the Big 12 as much as we would in the SEC, then you are saying Arkansas was never a good enough program to begin with.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 07:39:13 pm
How does finishing 5-7 and 6-6 and 7-5 help?

I don't subscribe to lowering the bar to achieve your goals.  What you're saying is, it would be cool to possibly compete more in the Big 12 during the regular season, knowing that we're not at the level of the SEC and will get wrecked in a bowl game or the playoffs by one of them? 

What makes you think we would win more in the Big 12 right now?  We split with TTech, and split with TCU in our most recent efforts.  That's 2-2 if my math is correct.  How does that translate into a higher win percentage?  I guess you can throw in the semi-recent KState and TX wins, but the thought that we would move over and win there...doesn't really pass the sniff test. 

What's your rationale?  We probably couldn't beat ASU or UCA right now WITH the SEC recruiting advantage, so why would dropping back to the Big 12 help?  I don't see it.... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HOGINTENNESSEE

onebadrubi

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 07:45:29 pm
I don't subscribe to lowering the bar to achieve your goals.  What you're saying is, it would be cool to possibly compete more in the Big 12 during the regular season, knowing that we're not at the level of the SEC and will get wrecked in a bowl game or the playoffs by one of them? 

What makes you think we would win more in the Big 12 right now?  We split with TTech, and split with TCU in our most recent efforts.  That's 2-2 if my math is correct.  How does that translate into a higher win percentage?  I guess you can throw in the semi-recent KState and TX wins, but the thought that we would move over and win there...doesn't really pass the sniff test. 

What's your rationale?  We probably couldn't beat ASU or UCA right now WITH the SEC recruiting advantage, so why would dropping back to the Big 12 help?  I don't see it....

I would rather play Oklahoma State, Texas, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Baylor and Kansas year in and year out than Alabama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Mississippi State, and Florida/Georgia/Tennessee.

Iowa State just knocked off Oklahoma. Someone like Kentucky ain't gonna knock off Alabama.

You use our recent records against Texas Tech and TCU. What are our recent records against the teams I mentioned?

Justagp

Isn't TCU in the Big 12? If I remember correctly it wasn't pretty a couple of weeks ago - and what about that Texas Tech team - didn't they embarrass us a year or two ago?

Hawghiggs

The Big 12 isn't really that far behind on money. Plus they are adding a championship game. So that would close the gap even more.

RME

Quote from: Justagp on October 11, 2017, 07:50:41 pm
Isn't TCU in the Big 12? If I remember correctly it wasn't pretty a couple of weeks ago - and what about that Texas Tech team - didn't they embarrass us a year or two ago?

So you'd rather go up against Auburn and LSU year in and year out than Texas Tech and TCU?

onebadrubi

slowride

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 07:31:32 pm
Because we're just absolutely kickin' ass right now and have been ever since we joined the SEC, right?

What do you want more, money or wins?

I would rather see the hogs be in the toughest conference and be able to have conference bragging rights.  It's true that the SEC is not as good the last couple years with Alabama dominating, but sooner or later one of the other big dogs will hold sway.  I think getting more money is good too so that we maintain our standards enough to be competitive in bowls and non conference games.

RME

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 11, 2017, 07:55:05 pm
It just means less

"Man, I'm so disappointed we went 10-3 in the Big 12 this year. It just doesn't mean as much as finishing 7-6 in the SEC."

Hawghiggs

There isn't a SEC recruiting advantage. That is a internet myth.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 07:49:29 pm
I would rather play Oklahoma State, Texas, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Baylor and Kansas year in and year out than Alabama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Mississippi State, and Florida/Georgia/Tennessee.

Iowa State just knocked off Oklahoma. Someone like Kentucky ain't gonna knock off Alabama.

You use our recent records against Texas Tech and TCU. What are our recent records against the teams I mentioned?

It isn't about W's and L's at this point. It's about money and survivability as a member of a stable conference.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

Hoggiedawg

LOL.  HV lowered expectations every year the clown BB has been here. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:05:40 pm
Boy ain't that the real truth.

It is. Many of the athletic programs benefit from the SEC money. Football may be preeminent on on our minds, but it isn't just about football. It's about the entire athletic program. A point that some seem to miss.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 07:49:29 pm

It wasn't that long ago that SCe upset Bama...about the same thing as the Iowa State - OU upset.  I could list others...that happens from time to time. 

Saying KY ain't gonna knock off Bama after you just pointed out that Iowa State beat OU doesn't make sense??  What point does that make?  That's like saying KS isn't going to beat OU isn't it?  So that's your hope...that Arkansas can beat up on KS and Iowa State and thump their chest about it?  Baylor will be a train wreck for the next few years as the recruiting penalties add up, so I guess chalk them up as a win too? 

I have news for you though...beating OK State, TCU (as we saw), OU, and likely TX in the next few years, wouldn't be a cake walk.  Same for Kansas State. 

I don't know why I'm arguing this point.  I'm from the school of thinking that you have to play the best to be the best, and that's not going to change.  If we're getting our teeth kicked in, then we have to get better.  I don't subscribe to the woe is me theory that we need to drop our competition level so we can get some meaningless wins.  That doesn't compute with me. 

Isn't that why we see half empty stadiums when we play teams like New Mexico State, Toledo, etc.?  We're expected to beat them, so people don't care.  Hey...we suck, but we've shown that we can compete in the SEC.  I don't know why we would bail, but I guess some people would rather beat up on KS and feel good about it. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:03:04 pm
There isn't a SEC recruiting advantage. That is a internet myth.

Then how do you explain the COUNTLESS players who sit there every year on signing day and outright say, "I wanted to play in the SEC?" 

Danny J

Quote from: slowride on October 11, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
I would rather see the hogs be in the toughest conference and be able to have conference bragging rights. 
How has conference bragging rights ever helped us? Go to Ohio or Texas and ask them to start listing SEC programs. We might break the top 10 on occasion. We are now and will always be an afterthought whenever SEC football is being discussed outside the state.

In 2011...we lost to the 2 teams playing in the title game and played both on the road. If we were in the big 12 that year how would we have done against say Texas and OSU or OU instead of Bama and LSU?

It's nice to have the $ but the wins would be nicer IMHO. Also wouldn't travel nearly as far for away games.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on October 11, 2017, 08:06:22 pm
LOL.  HV lowered expectations every year the clown BB has been here.

You set your goals low enough, and you'll achieve them every time. 

-  Random loser

It's like showing up at a golf tournament trying to squeeze into the worst flight you can hoping to win.  I can't stand sandbaggers, and it's a weak mindset.  FLA has fallen on hard times too compared to their previous standards, but I doubt they're contemplating a move to the ACC. 

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 11, 2017, 08:04:31 pm
It isn't about W's and L's at this point. It's about money and survivability as a member of a stable conference.

I know that. I'm arguing from a football-only perspective.*

*I'm one of the few Long supporters on here. Trust me, I know it goes wayyyyy above and beyond football.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:08:09 pm
It wasn't that long ago that SCe upset Bama...about the same thing as the Iowa State - OU upset.  I could list others...that happens from time to time. 

Saying KY ain't gonna knock off Bama after you just pointed out that Iowa State beat OU doesn't make sense??  What point does that make?  That's like saying KS isn't going to beat OU isn't it?  So that's your hope...that Arkansas can beat up on KS and Iowa State and thump their chest about it?  Baylor will be a train wreck for the next few years as the recruiting penalties add up, so I guess chalk them up as a win too? 

I have news for you though...beating OK State, TCU (as we saw), OU, and likely TX in the next few years, wouldn't be a cake walk.  Same for Kansas State. 

I don't know why I'm arguing this point.  I'm from the school of thinking that you have to play the best to be the best, and that's not going to change.  If we're getting our teeth kicked in, then we have to get better.  I don't subscribe to the woe is me theory that we need to drop our competition level so we can get some meaningless wins.  That doesn't compute with me. 

Isn't that why we see half empty stadiums when we play teams like New Mexico State, Toledo, etc.?  We're expected to beat them, so people don't care.  Hey...we suck, but we've shown that we can compete in the SEC.  I don't know why we would bail, but I guess some people would rather beat up on KS and feel good about it.

We've been playing the best of the best. We've also gotten our darn kicked in quite a bit. The point about Iowa State beating Oklahoma shows more parity in the league, creating more openings for us. No, mid-lower tier Kentucky isn't gonna beat Alabama. Mid-lower tier Iowa beat arguably the best team in the Big 12. Parity. I personally think we'd play Oklahoma better year in and year out and win more against them than we do Alabama. The point was parity.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:09:08 pm
Then how do you explain the COUNTLESS players who sit there every year on signing day and outright say, "I wanted to play in the SEC?" 

Well, The vast majority of them come from SEC states. Not a lot of California or Ohio kids saying that.  They also are always going to the same damn programs.  Arkansas isn't or ever has really benefited from being in the SEC. As far as recruiting wise.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Danny J on October 11, 2017, 08:11:46 pm
How has conference bragging rights ever helped us? Go to Ohio or Texas and ask them to start listing SEC programs. We might break the top 10 on occasion. We are now and will always be an afterthought whenever SEC football is being discussed outside the state.

In 2011...we lost to the 2 teams playing in the title game and played both on the road. If we were in the big 12 that year how would we have done against say Texas and OSU or OU instead of Bama and LSU?

It's nice to have the $ but the wins would be nicer IMHO. Also wouldn't travel nearly as far for away games.

OK, so based on that, WHAT makes you think we would win in the Big 12?  Still competing against the same schools in TX for the same players right?  Wouldn't it stand to reason that we would end up mid pack there too, likely behind OU, OSU, TX, and TCU...who have inherent recruiting advantages?  Would we just slowly sag right down to that level of play versus the SEC? 

If you guys want wins...heck, why draw the line at the Big 12.  I bet we could wiggle our way into the Sunbelt.  Surely we could win some games there....  Geez....

jkstock04

I get sick of seeing Oklahoma State have twice as good of a football program as ours...Stillwater Oklahoma.

You wanna talk about how it's impossible to recruit to Fayetteville? LMFAO...how do they recruit to Stillwater then?

Sign me up as a fan that would welcome a move to the Big 12. This SEC crap is for the birds. Playing OU, OK state, Texas, K state doesn't sound bad to me. Be closer to travel to a lot of these away games as well.

And for those always talking about wanting a rivalry? This would be one way to make that happen again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawghiggs

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 11, 2017, 08:12:28 pm
You set your goals low enough, and you'll achieve them every time. 

-  Random loser

It's like showing up at a golf tournament trying to squeeze into the worst flight you can hoping to win.  I can't stand sandbaggers, and it's a weak mindset.  FLA has fallen on hard times too compared to their previous standards, but I doubt they're contemplating a move to the ACC. 

That is a false narrative. In the world of modern college sports. It doesn't matter. All that matters is being in a P5 conference and having a winning record.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 11, 2017, 08:15:13 pm
We've been playing the best of the best. We've also gotten our darn kicked in quite a bit. The point about Iowa State beating Oklahoma shows more parity in the league, creating more openings for us. No, mid-lower tier Kentucky isn't gonna beat Alabama. Mid-lower tier Iowa beat arguably the best team in the Big 12. Parity. I personally think we'd play Oklahoma better year in and year out and win more against them than we do Alabama. The point was parity.

But I argued that SC beat Bama, and we just saw LSU get beat by Troy.  Not parity...flukes.  What I think is funny is that you're naming mid-lower tier KY.  Where does that put us exactly?  We've beaten LSU several times...recently.  Bama has our number, because they are so strong across the board with no weaknesses, but other than that, since 2010 we've shown we can beat anyone in the conference...at least occasionally.   ;)

onebadrubi

If it's about the W and L, then why have big 12 teams been left at the alter so much the past decade or so?

Paul

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:15:44 pm
Well, The vast majority of them come from SEC states. Not a lot of California or Ohio kids saying that.  They also are always going to the same damn programs.  Arkansas isn't or ever has really benefited from being in the SEC. As far as recruiting wise.
I seem to remember many recruits from non SEC states saying they were considering us because it was a chance to play in the SEC