Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zhaire Smith

Started by skinnypig, March 06, 2017, 06:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogimus Prime

Hazen is athletic.  If MA is going to start playing a combo forwards together at the 3 and 4 Hazen will see playingtime.  With the height and length of Hazen, Perry and Henderson either one can play the 5 when Gafford is out of the game.  MA has done that at times with Cook and Thomas on the floor at sametime. I'd like to see MA bring in another big but if he and his staff can't find one they like then so be it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 09, 2017, 05:55:21 pm
Hazen is athletic.  If MA is going to start playing a combo forwards together at the 3 and 4 Hazen will see playingtime.  With the height and length of Hazen, Perry and Henderson either one can play the 5 when Gafford is out of the game.  MA has done that at times with Cook and Thomas on the floor at sametime. I'd like to see MA bring in another big but if he and his staff can't find one they like then so be it.

We'll likely know how well Hazen is doing by the staff's recruiting. There hasn't been a great deal of big man talk, yet we've seen them looking at wings and point guards. If that focus continues, Hazen just might find a spot in the rotation, and that'll be fine because he earned it. Still have my doubts based on what he's shown.

razorback1829

Quote from: Pinto on March 09, 2017, 01:31:37 pm
Come on man, Chandler Parsons?? You're going to dislocate your shoulder reaching that hard. He's nowhere near as athletic and versatile as Parsons was...

Not as good as Parsons per say, but a stretch 4 in that mode. That's how they feel. Debate it all you want, but I trust the coaches eye. I would say more Eric Murphy who played at Fla. tho. Either way, there's some potential there with time to develop.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 10, 2017, 08:46:52 am
Not as good as Parsons per say, but a stretch 4 in that mode. That's how they feel. Debate it all you want, but I trust the coaches eye. I would say more Eric Murphy who played at Fla. tho. Either way, there's some potential there with time to develop.

Parsons is a bad comparison because so much of what defined his play was his ability to handle the ball and be a point forward. That is not at all Hazen's game. Murphy is a more apt comparison indeed.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 10, 2017, 08:50:35 am
Parsons is a bad comparison because so much of what defined his play was his ability to handle the ball and be a point forward. That is not at all Hazen's game. Murphy is a more apt comparison indeed.
He will be more like Marvell Waithe

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 09, 2017, 09:54:44 pm
We'll likely know how well Hazen is doing by the staff's recruiting. There hasn't been a great deal of big man talk, yet we've seen them looking at wings and point guards. If that focus continues, Hazen just might find a spot in the rotation, and that'll be fine because he earned it. Still have my doubts based on what he's shown.

Sounds like we talked you into it.  That was pretty easy.  Welcome aboard the Hazen bandwagon.  ;)

Hawg Red

Surely Hazen can battle Thomas for playing time, right? Not trying to put anyone down, but the 4 spot should be an open competition in the offseason. No one playing there stands out as a solid option. But 3 of the 4 on the roster get game minutes over Hazen. Surely they aren't that far ahead of him skill-wise.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 11, 2017, 04:00:15 pm
Surely Hazen can battle Thomas for playing time, right? Not trying to put anyone down, but the 4 spot should be an open competition in the offseason. No one playing there stands out as a solid option. But 3 of the 4 on the roster get game minutes over Hazen. Surely they aren't that far ahead of him skill-wise.
They aren't. I don't know why Cook and Thomas play over Bailey. Bailey will rebound just as well and at least he attacks the basket on the offensive end.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Pinto

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 11, 2017, 04:42:34 pm
They aren't. I don't know why Cook and Thomas play over Bailey. Bailey will rebound just as well and at least he attacks the basket on the offensive end.

I think Bailey will make the most improvement of anyone on the team this upcoming offseason.

Razorod

Zhaire's 247 crystal ball is now 50/50 Hogs and Horns:

http://247sports.com/player/zhaire-smith-93859

Was all Hogs, but last two going with Shaka Smart and the Horns.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

duckman

He hasn't made his decision yet.  Just weighing his options.  He wasn't heavily recruited until recently and he has a lot coming at him.  Scotty Thurman is weighing heavily in this and if we get Zhaire we can all thank him.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: duckman on March 12, 2017, 07:04:03 pm
He hasn't made his decision yet.  Just weighing his options.  He wasn't heavily recruited until recently and he has a lot coming at him.  Scotty Thurman is weighing heavily in this and if we get Zhaire we can all thank him.

Gotta love seeing Scotty making an impact on the recruiting trail already.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Razorod on March 12, 2017, 06:11:11 pm
Zhaire's 247 crystal ball is now 50/50 Hogs and Horns:

http://247sports.com/player/zhaire-smith-93859

Was all Hogs, but last two going with Shaka Smart and the Horns.

He fits Shaka's system well too, and may have more opportunity there for immediate playing time.

batmanfan

75-25 Horns now, Meyer flipped.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Pinto

Quote from: batmanfan on March 13, 2017, 10:57:31 am
75-25 Horns now, Meyer flipped.

Meyer really doesn't have inside information though. I think everyone is just going off of speculation because he is from Texas. We shall see...

mhuff

Is he visiting the Hill again  ::)

King Kong

Quote from: mhuff on March 13, 2017, 11:23:21 am
Is he visiting the Hill again  ::)

He was planning on taking an official here, as the other was an unofficial. I haven't heard anything about that changing

Pinto

Quote from: King Kong on March 13, 2017, 11:28:00 am
He was planning on taking an official here, as the other was an unofficial. I haven't heard anything about that changing

I think he's waiting until we finish up in the NCAAT to pick a date for us

Kevin McPherson

He's scheduled to take an OV to Texas this weekend.

Razorod

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 13, 2017, 12:08:26 pm
He's scheduled to take an OV to Texas this weekend.
Which could be why we see the needle moving with him a bit. Key may be if he doesn't commit right after the visit and still takes an OV with us. I also believe he'll have a TT visit somewhere as well, so I wouldn't mind if we got the last visit.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pinto on March 13, 2017, 11:21:13 am
Meyer really doesn't have inside information though. I think everyone is just going off of speculation because he is from Texas. We shall see...

Actually, we have no real idea what anyone, Jerry Meyer included, are going off of. For all we know, they could have some really good sources. Or they're just guessing. None of us can say either way, can we?

navyhog24

Quote from: Razorod on March 13, 2017, 12:30:56 pm
Which could be why we see the needle moving with him a bit. Key may be if he doesn't commit right after the visit and still takes an OV with us. I also believe he'll have a TT visit somewhere as well, so I wouldn't mind if we got the last visit.

He's only taking the OV there first bc our schedule is uncertain with being in the NCAAT.

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 13, 2017, 01:15:20 pm
He's only taking the OV there first bc our schedule is uncertain with being in the NCAAT.
I like the fact that we could possibly have the last visit with him. If he doesn't commit this weekend, Texas is in trouble...

FineAsSwine

Not sounding so good right now.

Razorod

duckman

They have made no decision yet, none....

Pinto

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 13, 2017, 06:15:25 pm
Just being negative. If he's visiting there this weekend, he very well could be convinced and commit there. He also could watch us win a tourney game on Friday, take all of his visits and commit here. He's already been to the Hill. If he does commit to UT this weekend after visiting, so be it, he knows where he wants to go. There's more opportunity playing there and they just kicked off their top scorer. They have a good coach, play in a good league, but obviously aren't a good team. Again, he's already visited here and his family knows Scotty really well, advantage Arkansas. Just let the situation play out.

He has already had an unofficial visit to Texas as well. But I agree, lets just let it play out and not get carried away by some damn crystal ball predictions lol

ShadowHawg

We have the best inside source with Duckman.

Smith said he will be waiting to decide until the end of the month and will take all his visits. So far, he has done exactly what he  said he would.

If he sticks to his plan and we get the last visit, I believe he will choose us.

We can show him clips of Qualls. Emphasize how he developed year to year under MA. SHOW him through Qualls how a player like him actually thrives in our system instead of getting kicked off the team elsewhere.

duckman

I would say it is a coin toss a the moment.  ZS loves our coaches, facilities, and fans, but the ability for his Dad to travel to the games is a factor.  If you saw the video regarding his Dad you understand why traveling distance to games is a factor.  I still like our chances, we should know either way by the end of the month.

Razorod

Thanks for the updates.

Pinto

Quote from: duckman on March 14, 2017, 04:30:07 am
I would say it is a coin toss a the moment.  ZS loves our coaches, facilities, and fans, but the ability for his Dad to travel to the games is a factor.  If you saw the video regarding his Dad you understand why traveling distance to games is a factor.  I still like our chances, we should know either way by the end of the month.

I hope our staff is in his ear about how he has a great chance to start next year compared to Texas. We are in dire need of a lengthy wing...

duckman

Quote from: Pinto on March 14, 2017, 08:38:34 am
I hope our staff is in his ear about how he has a great chance to start next year compared to Texas. We are in dire need of a lengthy wing...

Oh they are,  Thurman has ties as well...

navyhog24

Quote from: Pinto on March 14, 2017, 08:38:34 am

We're in dire need of another big and true PG as well

Pinto

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 14, 2017, 09:48:51 am

I'm well aware of that but we have to take the best available player this late in the recruiting season. We would have been fools to pass up on Zhaire

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pinto on March 13, 2017, 06:31:44 pm
He has already had an unofficial visit to Texas as well. But I agree, lets just let it play out and not get carried away by some damn crystal ball predictions lol
especially when we have @Duckman running point for us. stay calm.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 14, 2017, 09:48:51 am
let Chase Hayden play the point. Better than several of the point guards we've had (most of the Heath-Pel years).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pinto

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 15, 2017, 01:00:45 am
let Chase Hayden play the point. Better than several of the point guards we've had (most of the Heath-Pel years).

He looks good but he would be extremely behind due to football...

RealHog

Quote from: Pinto on March 15, 2017, 07:12:34 am
He looks good but he would be extremely behind due to football...

I'm sure Coach B wouldn't mind letting us borrow him.

jbhogfan4

Hopefully Zhaire watched our NCAA games and saw how close we are and decides to get on board. I'm a little biased obviously but we look like a much better situation than a struggling Texas program. There's playing time to be had next year as well with the departure of Dusty and Manny

Razorod

Yes. We could be much stronger at the wing and hybrid forward spots next season with Bailey, Hall and Smith playing together. Might be able to shift away from the three guard line-up some next year and play a true small forward some. That would a lot when we play against top twenty teams who have those bigger wing players.

Pinto

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on March 19, 2017, 08:28:18 pm
Hopefully Zhaire watched our NCAA games and saw how close we are and decides to get on board. I'm a little biased obviously but we look like a much better situation than a struggling Texas program. There's playing time to be had next year as well with the departure of Dusty and Manny

Texas may be in trouble since he didn't commit on his OV

Razorod

Quote from: Pinto on March 19, 2017, 08:36:52 pm
Texas may be in trouble since he didn't commit on his OV
That's good news! Let's hope we get our visit set soon. I believe he's heading to TTech this coming weekend.

duckman

HossHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 15, 2017, 01:00:45 am
I understand we don't like Heath or Pel but Courtney Fortson, BJ Young and Patrick Beverly were all very good

King Kong

Quote from: HossHog on March 20, 2017, 12:19:21 am
I understand we don't like Heath or Pel but Courtney Fortson, BJ Young and Patrick Beverly were all very good

BJ never played for either one of those coaches.

He did commit to Pel but never played for him

NWAHog479

Has he made any comments on how his visit to Texas went?

navyhog24

I'm assuming now that we're done with the Tourney that we should be hearing something soon on his official visit plans to the Hill.

Hogdomer

Quote from: duckman on March 14, 2017, 04:30:07 am

It takes 5 hours to get to Fayetteville from Garland.  Getting through the traffic on 35 to get to Austin is not that much shorter.  Have done both many times.

311Hog

Quote from: Hogdomer on March 20, 2017, 11:14:50 am
It takes 5 hours to get to Fayetteville from Garland.  Getting through the traffic on 35 to get to Austin is not that much shorter.  Have done both many times.

Dad is in a wheel chair so not sure it is as straight forward.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2017, 12:14:35 pm
Dad is in a wheel chair so not sure it is as straight forward.

My mom has been in a wheelchair for 2 decades. If the distances are close a wheelchair won't change that and drive time should be the same as regular vehicle to boot.