Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zeke Pike Announcement

Started by BulldogBasketball, April 20, 2011, 07:03:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BulldogBasketball

Not for sure on the time but I thought I'd start a thread for the reactions to the commitment.

pigture perfect

I sure hope it's us. Not holding by breath from what I hearing.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Stang1970

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 20, 2011, 07:18:01 am
I sure hope it's us. Not holding by breath from what I hearing.

If he does go to Auburn like I am hearing, I will never understand it.  If I was Frazier I would have serious thoughts that they really want me at QB.  Frazier might be the next Auburn bust at QB that never could make the plays.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 20, 2011, 07:20:14 am
If he does go to Auburn like I am hearing, I will never understand it.  If I was Frazier I would have serious thoughts that they really want me at QB.  Frazier might be the next Auburn bust at QB that never could make the plays.

Zeke's going to get in-depth knowledge of "36" and maybe even a little taste of "Yellow".  He'll be ready for whatever the NFL throws at him....

:puke:

Stang1970

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 20, 2011, 07:30:05 am
Zeke's going to get in-depth knowledge of "36" and maybe even a little taste of "Yellow".  He'll be ready for whatever the NFL throws at him....

Hey who  knows they might even teach him other numbers as well.  Maybe he can take a Algebra class so he can count real good and read a piece of paper on his wrist.

Seebs

When the Auburn media is making the trip to cover the announcement and Arkansas Media is not - it should tell you all you need to know.

Committing to Auburn, in my mind, is a character flaw at this point. There is enough smoke there for one heck of a firestorm - then these kids will proclaim ' I had no idea!'

A nice heaping spoonful of bad medicine is going to need to be swallowed pretty soon.  Hope this kid realizes it and chooses a different school - even if not Arkansas.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

BulldogBasketball

If he is not coming to Arkansas, Michigan is where I would hope he would end up for his sake.

I think Brady Hoke is a very good coach and would be able to prepare him quite well for the NFL.

As a side note, most remember that quarterbacks that played in Malzahn's system have never been successful at the college level; Mitch Mustain is the best example but Rhett Lashlee is another that comes to mind. Nathan Emert was probably the most successful but that was at the DII level.

Perhaps Jon Gruden's interview with Cam Newton shed a little light on just why that is.

hog 47

ESPN reports his announcement is at 2 15 at his high school.

booogaga

I want him to be a hog. And I am getting sooooo tired of the guys we go after choosing Auburn. I will say it....

AUBURN LOCK!
GO HOGS!

Speedracer

Well, I've accepted he's not coming here. Just don't understand Auburn though.
Like smites bother me.

hogchic2001

I think it would be college career suicide for him to go to Auburn. What a waste it will be if that's where he ends up.
Go HOGS Go!

oldman1015

Quote from: Speedracer on April 20, 2011, 08:35:44 am
there could be a 180,000 reasons he would choose auburn.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Seebs on April 20, 2011, 07:35:51 am
When the Auburn media is making the trip to cover the announcement and Arkansas Media is not - it should tell you all you need to know.

This is indeed all you need to know.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogchic2001 on April 20, 2011, 08:38:47 am
I think it would be college career suicide for him to go to Auburn. What a waste it will be if that's where he ends up.

If you go to Auburn, you automatically get into Heaven. Why do you think Cam and the Cow humpers are untouchable? Say it with me...

"IT'S A GOD THING." -- St. Chizik the Great
Go away, batin'

Auburn Lock

Quote from: booogaga on April 20, 2011, 08:35:32 am
I want him to be a hog. And I am getting sooooo tired of the guys we go after choosing Auburn. I will say it....

AUBURN LOCK!

I've been hoping you would say that.

gotyacovered

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 20, 2011, 07:30:05 am

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 20, 2011, 07:32:15 am
Hey who  knows they might even teach him other numbers as well.  Maybe he can take a Algebra class so he can count real good and read a piece of paper on his wrist.

and he is going to be the next gun, and these words you speak are his bullets.
You are what you tolerate.

RAF

Maybe he'll go to Michigan, and then he can transfer here after a couple of years.

Stang1970

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 20, 2011, 09:44:00 am
and he is going to be the next gun, and these words you speak are his bullets.

Well from what I saw from Cam Newton on ESPn it doesnt look like they actually teach the QBs about reading defenses that much at all.  They might be very good with Pike but I would figure his development for the NFL would be more important than that.

Sir Pork

Living the game, and winning

Sir Pork

Living the game, and winning

gotyacovered

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 20, 2011, 09:53:32 am
Well from what I saw from Cam Newton on ESPn it doesnt look like they actually teach the QBs about reading defenses that much at all.  They might be very good with Pike but I would figure his development for the NFL would be more important than that.

i was saying that b/c of what Cam said on the Gruden show, his analogy included him self as a gun, his mind as a chamber and the negative stuff people said about him as bullets (motivation). when he needed motivation working out or whatever, he would 'chamber' one of those 'memories'

it was a joke, obviously not a funny one...

Calling All Hogs

Cam Newton will play in the NFL in spite of what he learned at Auburn, not because of it. It appears Pike hasn't figured that out.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

If Pike goes to Auburn, we'll get to see Robert Thomas put him on his butt over and over again.  See, there is a bright spot in all this.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Stang1970

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 20, 2011, 10:55:26 am
Cam Newton will play in the NFL in spite of what he learned at Auburn, not because of it. It appears Pike hasn't figured that out.

I agree.  Just watch him with Gruden and the only thing Gruden can talk about is his charm and athleticism.  He didnt say anything about his knowledge of reading defenses and understand of the offense they were running at Auburn.  Cam even said the offense was simplified so he had a couple of options to pass then he ran.  Real complex offense there Gus.  I still dont know why people consider Gus an offensive genius.  Only thing he knows how to do is call simple plays to get yards.  There is nothing in his offense to confuse or disguise what he wants to do on the play.  I think once Cam gets to the NFL and wants to run guys like Ray Lewis will be ready to greet him nicely  to the NFL.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 20, 2011, 10:59:24 am
I agree.  Just watch him with Gruden and the only thing Gruden can talk about is his charm and athleticism.  He didnt say anything about his knowledge of reading defenses and understand of the offense they were running at Auburn.  Cam even said the offense was simplified so he had a couple of options to pass then he ran.  Real complex offense there Gus.  I still dont know why people consider Gus an offensive genius.  Only thing he knows how to do is call simple plays to get yards.  There is nothing in his offense to confuse or disguise what he wants to do on the play.  I think once Cam gets to the NFL and wants to run guys like Ray Lewis will be ready to greet him nicely  to the NFL.

Gus is has a great offensive mind. It's not his fault Cam is a moran.
Go away, batin'

Stang1970

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 20, 2011, 11:02:05 am

Yeah  maybe he made the offense simple because he knew Cam couldnt be a drop back passer at all.

Oxbaker

You might want to spell the work correctly when trying to call someone a moron.  Just comes off better that way.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Oxbaker on April 20, 2011, 11:08:37 am
You might want to spell the work correctly when trying to call someone a moron.  Just comes off better that way.

You might wanna pick up on the fact that it's an obvious joke based upon an old interwemps meme, oxbanger. Did I spelt taht rite?
Go away, batin'

gotyacovered

Quote from: Stang1970 on April 20, 2011, 10:59:24 am
Real complex offense there Gus.  I still dont know why people consider Gus an offensive genius.  Only thing he knows how to do is call simple plays to get yards.  There is nothing in his offense to confuse or disguise what he wants to do on the play. 

calling simple plays to get yards IS why he is considered a good offensive mind IMO. just b/c some people run complex offenses doesn't make them a great offensive mind. its about timing... when to use what...

this is eactly what i like about BP... he doesnt use overly complex schemes, he uses his knowledge and instinct to expose defenses using simple formations he and his players are very familiar with... it why he is such a great play caller... when they execute them it is awesome.

COCHISE

April 20, 2011, 11:17:41 am #29 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:20:21 am by 870 RZR
Quote from: Oxbaker on April 20, 2011, 11:08:37 am
Kind of like spelling word, "work".

OTTER

Welllll doggies!  One of the best high school quarterbacks in the nation appears to be ready to committ to a school that will soon be placed on probation, have severe scholarship reductions imposed, have no TV exposure, no bowl games, at least one vacated season and a vacated NC.  Yep, that's what I'd advise my son to do!  If he committs to Auburn, that tells me all I need to know.  Personally, I hope he shows better character than that, as I believe he is a good kid.  I hope he doesn't change my mind.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

rljjr

I thought Erin Moran was great on Happy Days as "Joanie."

BlazinRed

Do you think Pike's choice will make an impact on Dorial Green-Beckham's decision?

oldhawg

Quote from: OTTER on April 20, 2011, 11:20:04 am
Welllll doggies!  One of the best high school quarterbacks in the nation appears to be ready to committ to a school that will soon be placed on probation, have severe scholarship reductions imposed, have no TV exposure, no bowl games, at least one vacated season and a vacated NC.  Yep, that's what I'd advise my son to do!  If he committs to Auburn, that tells me all I need to know.  Personally, I hope he shows better character than that, as I believe he is a good kid.  I hope he doesn't change my mind.

Pike may have graduated from Auburn before the NCAA gets around to anything resembling an investigation. 

3BoarsDown

Yup, that 36 play blew my mind.

hogwild210

I just read an article that said the announcement was at 1:15. Which is it?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

SemperFi

If Pike chooses nrubuA (can't stand to say it or spell it correctly) that would just be criminal. I know that many on here like Gus, but I cannot stand his offense as it is the most gimmicky offense that I've ever seen. Without Scam Newton they don't even sniff a bowl game and one of their best plays was the broken play when Scam was able to do his thing, much like Matt Jones under hdn.

I just hope that he chooses the HOGS and allows Bobby Petrino to prepare him for a creer in the NFL. I'll hold no ill will towards him for making his choice, but will be cheering loudly when nrubuA is placed on probation and stripped of their NC.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Oxbaker

Quote from: BlazinRed on April 20, 2011, 11:26:56 am
Do you think Pike's choice will make an impact on Dorial Green-Beckham's decision?
Pretty sure it locks up DGB for Auburn.

Stang1970

Quote from: Oxbaker on April 20, 2011, 11:49:37 am

Yeah im sure of that.  Every player that Auburn wants to gets they get.  Please.
They  might be friends but it does not mean he is going to auburn at all.

OTTER

Quote from: oldhawg on April 20, 2011, 11:27:13 am
Pike may have graduated from Auburn before the NCAA gets around to anything resembling an investigation. 
That may be well true, since it took them so darn long to finish the investigation at USC and heck, even Arkansas!  Not to mention the fact that they are also very busy at tOSU as well as Auburn(the cheatin' ba$@#rds).  And Auburn does have something that no one else had or has--the FBI investigation has to be completed first.  That may be followed by an IRS investigation of some of their boosters.  Then there may be the Congressional hearings, oh he!!, Zeke may be 100 years old before everything is done at Auburn!! ;)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

razorhead94

Quote from: Oxbaker on April 20, 2011, 11:49:37 am

DGB wants to run actual routes and not end-arounds in the backfield.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Oklahawg

Quote from: rljjr on April 20, 2011, 11:24:37 am
I thought Erin Moran was great on Happy Days as "Joanie."

For Auburn, Joanie Loves Chachi is 2012; Happy Days is 2011. One is a weak spinoff of the other.

As far as character goes, I'm pretty sure Cammie Boy being allowed to try and score at the end of the BCS NC game is a "jump the shark" moment for Auburn.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Quote from: Speedracer on April 20, 2011, 08:35:44 am
Is your avatar quote a George Dunham reference?

jdhogster

April 20, 2011, 12:34:53 pm #43 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:37:17 pm by jdhogster
Pike could always pull a 'Ky Madden'.  Instead of all the Ole Miss media being there and being disappointed for Ky's announcement of Ark over OM, it could be all the Auburn media there disappointed for Pike's announcement of ANYONE other than Awbarn.  Do they get reimbursed for their expenses if the kid doesn't choose their school?

Oklahawg

Auburn and Okie State employ similar philosophies. They cannot compete with the big in-state rival for many elite recruits so they sell themselves as the hip, young, feel-good option. There are those occasional years where they absolutely kick tail in-state, but they are few and far between.

Alabama and Oklahoma is like Arkansas under Petrino - a grind. These programs have tons of players who will wash out because their gumption eventually fails them.

Auburn, however, like Okie State, builds its program on camaraderie and charisma of a different stripe. To attract elite talent to any school requires "something". What Auburn and Okie State offer is considered shallow by some posters, myself included, whether that's totally fair and accurate, or not. What is fair and accurate is that the warm/fuzzy, feel-good attracts elite players who want to continue an existence where they are the center of the program.

You'll notice that Okie State has basically abandoned Oklahoma for recruiting. Hyperbole, but they are putting all eggs in the Texas basket. They target early, pressure the kid to respond to a feel-good informal trip, and then guilt them into not wavering when other, more serious, overtures are received. A lot of schools fill their classes by pressuring recruits. Arkansas has never operated this way, and as a result has lost a few recruits to OSU and AU that we might have gotten otherwise. We just refuse to play the games.

Also, Petrino has a blue-collar streak to him - he wants to win by outworking and outsmarting and out-coaching the other team. He does not want to get their unscrupulously. He seems to clearly step away from players with "baggage" beyond a certain threshhold that only those within the BAC know.

Of our signees under Petrino can anyone name a "drama king"? I can't. UA fans are quite familiar with a couple, though.

Pike could fit the young stud who is too accustomed to be the center of the program to realize the value of a program like Michigan or Arkansas. Or, he might realize that he needs to learn a thing or two, and the rather exacting regimen of  Petrino will maximize his talents. Kids turned on by the hype of Okie State or Auburn make me sad - yet it should be noted that not all who go there are attracted by the glitter and glamorous lifestyle provided. There are real players who have real work ethic and will become wonderful citizens and stellar pro players.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: jdhogster on April 20, 2011, 12:34:53 pm
Pike could always pull a 'Ky Madden'.  Instead of all the Ole Miss media being ther and being disappointed, it could be all the Auburn media there disappointed.  Do they get reimbursed for their expenses if the kid doesn't choose their school?

Next summer when they cover the $50,000 handshakes in the limos they'll get to keep a cut of the take.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwild210 on April 20, 2011, 11:36:48 am
I just read an article that said the announcement was at 1:15. Which is it?

1:15 (cst) 2:15 (est)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Brewerfan10

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 20, 2011, 12:45:25 pm
1:15 (cst) 2:15 (est)

Well, I guess 15 minutes till I am going to want to puke all over my desk.

RazorCraft

So does anyone know the sudden change of plans?  Wasn't supposed to narrow to 8 teams and the figure it out over the course of his senior year....So why is he making his decision now?

Fingers crossed ZP says WPS!
This is a show-me world and I'm sick of talking!
CBP

Oliver

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on April 20, 2011, 01:00:56 pm
Well, I guess 15 minutes till I am going to want to puke all over my desk.

That is correct.