Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[MERGED] - ALL Matt Hall Transfer discussion HERE

Started by JackJohnson, January 09, 2010, 12:38:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

That Matt hall is leaving the team with ole miss as his endind destination spot. If true what are ur thoughts? By the time he is eligible to play there he would have been in line to start here. If true I hate to see it happen as he has worlds of potential at a need position where 6'10" guys don't just grow on trees

Hogaliciousness

If true, I hope Petrino will not grant a release to an SEC school.
I am ready for some football!

Greyhands

Lets think about this for one sec, if he transfers do you honestly think he will be granted a realease to a team in the west let alone old piss lol.

He might leave but it wont be for ole piss I'm pretty sure

Table Rocker

Everytime someone writes 'rumor' in the title of a thread God kills a puppy.

Greyhands

Quote from: Table Rocker on January 09, 2010, 12:41:15 pm
Everytime someone writes 'rumor' in the title of a thread God kills a puppy.
Dang it thats why my puppy is laying out in the driveway ........

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on January 09, 2010, 12:39:10 pm

I am sure that he won't, but all that means is that he has to pay his way for one year.  I don't know if his family can afford it, but there are grants and loans available if he really wants to do it.  He will have to sit out a year of course with NCAA transfer rules, but it would be like them getting a JC transfer since he will have 2 years to play 2 when eligible.

I just for the life of me can't figure out why he wouldn't stick it out here.  How many RS Fr play a lot on SEC OL's?  His playing time would have increased here next year, imo, and he would have been starting as a RS Jr after Dominguez and Love graduate, imo

3kgthog

Greyhands

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 09, 2010, 12:48:37 pm
Don't let the door hit ya...
Wow something not negative 3kgthog I might faint from disbelief.......

FANONTHEHILL

I hope Hall stays.  But regardless of where he plays, he has to improve his feet.  You cannot play tackle in the SEC if you can only go forward.  I see him as a guard wherever he lands.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on January 09, 2010, 12:39:10 pm

I'm guessing that he wouldn't. That is pretty much standard.
Go Hogs Go!

OzarkHighs

Greyhands

Well theres another scollie open for us :)

idochog

The numbers are working themselves out
I love Jesus!

ricepig

He's gone, he wants to go to Ole Piss, but is it really worth it to sit out again on your own dime? Some people just can't take the heat of Petrino and the lack of playing time in the future didn't look real bright. His best move would be to go to UCA or somewhere were he can play immediately.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Greyhands on January 09, 2010, 12:58:43 pm
Well theres another scollie open for us :)

It's ok, maybe this scholarship will go to David Hurd, 6-8, 320, a walk-on from Monroe, LA last year who in a play off game in 2008, whipped Alabama's 4 star recruit, Darrington Sentimore, like a red headed step child. He was an invited walk-on because all scholarships were committed. Fortunately, his has the grades so that he doesn't need an athletic scholarship.
Go Hogs Go!

56Hog

January 09, 2010, 01:15:10 pm #15 Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:23:42 pm by 56Hog
Quote from: JackJohnson on January 09, 2010, 12:38:04 pm
That Matt hall is leaving the team with ole miss as his endind destination spot. If true what are ur thoughts? By the time he is eligible to play there he would have been in line to start here. If true I hate to see it happen as he has worlds of potential at a need position where 6'10" guys don't just grow on trees

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Erockster20

razorback44

Ole Miss is trying to get him to have a leg up on signing his little brother who is supposed to be a stud.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

COCHISE

I'm sure Matt just saw the writing on the wall.  There are going to be several studs fighting for Mitch's opening, Oden, Alvin Bailey, Zhamal Thomas, etc.

elksnort

I don't want to bash a Razorback player. But, if he can not get playing time against Falsestartez, then maybe he is not all that terrific. And if he does not want to be on the hill, then maybe it is everyone's best interest that he leaves.

One heart lost, a thousand found.

Beaverfever

songofthesword

you will know the numbers are 'working themselves out' if cbp grants his release.. probably told him look go somewhere else and we won't object

Marshfieldhog

Adios nutthugger..enjoy the ole miss beatdown this fall

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2010, 01:06:49 pm
It's ok, maybe this scholarship will go to David Hurd, 6-8, 320, a walk-on from Monroe, LA last year who in a play off game in 2008, whipped Alabama's 4 star recruit, Darrington Sentimore, like a red headed step child. He was an invited walk-on because all scholarships were committed. Fortunately, his has the grades so that he doesn't need an athletic scholarship.
Even if he gets an academic scholarship, it has to count to our 85 scholarship limit, right?

hog_fan

I seriously doubt Petrino allows him to go to Ole Miss. You can forget getting his brother.

twistitup

If a kid wants to go, you let him go. Period.

No reason to have sour grapes around the program.

Wherever he wants to go, let him.

No one person is bigger than the whole.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

idochog

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on January 09, 2010, 01:31:10 pm
Even if he gets an academic scholarship, it has to count to our 85 scholarship limit, right?

Not if he is redshirting.  It only counts when he plays toward the 85
I love Jesus!

JackJohnson

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2010, 01:06:49 pm

While there is no doubt that i think Hurd has potential to help down the line, there is a reason that he was a recruited walk on where as Hall was a 4 star Rivals 250 player.  I don't really like that tradeoff, but i guess it is what it is.  It seems like playing for hootie and markuson was what he wanted to do all along.  Like others have said, it frees up another scholarship- i am hoping it goes to one of the Olive Branch OL

JackJohnson

Quote from: idochog on January 09, 2010, 01:42:13 pm
Not if he is redshirting.  It only counts when he plays toward the 85

This.

A player remains on academic scholarship until he plays, then he must go on athletic scholarship. 

If a kids parents are paying his way or his school is getting paid via loans or grants, then they don't have to go on athletic scholarship from what i understand.

Beaverfever

Quote from: twistitup on January 09, 2010, 01:40:55 pm

Screw that.  fair is fair.  Louisville wouldn't let their running back come here a couple years ago when we landed Petrino.  Exact same situation. 

Oklahawg

It is generally tough to get approved for a transfer inside your own conference. The Hall's might well be picking up this on their own.

The negative is, you are going to likely lose the little brother as a recruit. Not the end of the world, I suppose.

According to Biggus, er, Randy Reece, Hall was behind Love who was the better OT last year. My own thought is that we were much better at OC and OG than at OT.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Ballew

GuvHog

You have a short memory. Why do you think DJ Williams stayed at Arkansas?? He wanted to transfer to Ole
Miss but BP denied his release and now he's glad BP did. I believe BP will release Matt to go any where but
to an SEC West school.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

January 09, 2010, 01:57:13 pm #33 Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:11:29 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: JackJohnson on January 09, 2010, 01:42:38 pm
While there is no doubt that i think Hurd has potential to help down the line, there is a reason that he was a recruited walk on where as Hall was a 4 star Rivals 250 player.  I don't really like that tradeoff, but i guess it is what it is.  It seems like playing for hootie and markuson was what he wanted to do all along.  Like others have said, it frees up another scholarship- i am hoping it goes to one of the Olive Branch OL

Keep in mind that he was an "invited walk-on" because they had no scholarships left. I think Hurd is one of those "sleepers" that Petrino has found. The kid is also a basketball player and from what I understand, has really good feet. He has spent this walk-on year accumulating greater upper body strength and if he maintains his mobility, he could be a surprise that adds depth and size to our O-Line. If he can compete and dominate the likes of a Sentimore, he can surely make a significant contribution to the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 09, 2010, 12:42:32 pm
I am sure that he won't, but all that means is that he has to pay his way for one year.  I don't know if his family can afford it, but there are grants and loans available if he really wants to do it.  He will have to sit out a year of course with NCAA transfer rules, but it would be like them getting a JC transfer since he will have 2 years to play 2 when eligible.

I just for the life of me can't figure out why he wouldn't stick it out here.  How many RS Fr play a lot on SEC OL's?  His playing time would have increased here next year, imo, and he would have been starting as a RS Jr after Dominguez and Love graduate, imo

Actually I believe it would mean he would have to sit out 2 years and lose 2 years of eligibility. For Matt, if
he's released he sits out 1 year and loses a year of eligibility since he has already redshirted.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

twistitup

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 09, 2010, 01:56:09 pm
You have a short memory. Why do you think DJ Williams stayed at Arkansas?? He wanted to transfer to Ole
Miss but BP denied his release and now he's glad BP did. I believe BP will release Matt to go any where but
to an SEC West school.

Do you really think DJ is happy about being here? I think he has accepted it, but nobody like to be told 'no'. DJ's receiving numbers are not all that impressive since BP arrived if I am not mistaken...

I just don't believe in making anyone stay somewhere they don't want to be. It should be fine to try and find your place in life.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

heathtits

Quote from: twistitup on January 09, 2010, 02:04:50 pm
Do you really think DJ is happy about being here? I think he has accepted it, but nobody like to be told 'no'. DJ's receiving numbers are not all that impressive since BP arrived if I am not mistaken...

2008 was pretty impressive.

Mallett not throwing him the ball in 2009 has nothing to do with BP.

LJHOG

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on January 09, 2010, 01:31:10 pm

No, you cannot let a guy go to a conference opponent Ole Miss or otherwise.

HogDom

If he goes at least there will be more Jello Shots at our parties. That big boy sure can pack em away.

cardinalhawg

I just don't believe in making anyone stay somewhere they don't want to be. It should be fine to try and find your place in life.

What?  He had a good receiving year in 2008 and a fair receiving year in 2009, even while it was mentioned he was blocking and doing other things better.  If I recall, he had something like five receptions his freshman year under Nutt.

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: razorback44 on January 09, 2010, 01:21:17 pm
Ole Miss is trying to get him to have a leg up on signing his little brother who is supposed to be a stud.

His lil bro is no more studly than Matt is at this point. He isn't as big, so he can move better.

But yes, don't let the door hit ya, imo.
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

Calling All Hogs

I find it hard to believe Matt would give up half of his college eligibility just to play under Hootie.

reddogjcss

You got to be nuts to go with Nutt

woodhog14

Are you serious?? DJ's numbers in BP edited's first two seasons:

103 receptions
1,134 yards
6 TD

Not impressive numbers? For a Tight End?? Riiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhttttttt!

beansandtaters

Peace out you huge wuss. If you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen. Don't be surprised if he's pretty good at ole miss where he will only be required to run block now that their passing game left. Learning NFL style blocking schemes isn't for everyone.

Oklahawg

Until this gets confirmed or refuted we can all speculate if we choose.

However, I am not pleased to see the name-calling just because he happens to want a change of scenery. Enough.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

razorbrass

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2010, 01:57:13 pm
Keep in mind that he was an "invited walk-on" because they had no scholarships left. I think Hurd is one of those "sleepers" that Petrino has found. The kid is also a basketball player and from what I understand, has really good feet. He has spent this walk-on year accumulating greater upper body strength and if he maintains his mobility, he could be a surprise that adds depth and size to our O-Line. If he can compete and dominate the likes of a Sentimore, he can surely make a significant contribution to the Hogs.

Seems I remember another hog walk-on offensive lineman that turned out pretty good - ever hear of Brandon Burlesworth?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

kimjongsqUeAl

If you wanna learn how to 1 day play in the NFL, stay here.  If you wanna play Mickey Mouse football and digress as a player, go to Ole Miss.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

GalaHawg

why does he want to leave in the first place? Is it because of playing time?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 09, 2010, 02:00:22 pm
Actually I believe it would mean he would have to sit out 2 years and lose 2 years of eligibility. For Matt, if
he's released he sits out 1 year and loses a year of eligibility since he has already redshirted.

A transfer never has to sit out 2 years.  If he gets a release he can go on schollie immediately but sit a year.  If not released he has to wait a year to go on schollie but sit a year.  Bottom line:  if released go on schollie, if not released pay own way for a year.  Sit 1 year whether released or not.