Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally, we're number one at something

Started by RazorWest, April 14, 2017, 09:12:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Since this guy doesn't have Kevin Sumlin number one I know his opinion is crap.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Poker_hog

Quote from: rhames on April 14, 2017, 09:20:02 am
Since this guy doesn't have Kevin Sumlin number one I know his opinion is crap.

Sumlin is 23 games above .500 at aTm.  Bert has a losing record here.  You are what your record says you are.

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

MountieDawg

Sumlin has about a 75 percent winning percentage at aTm... You cant forget recruiting is a part of coaching...
SEC!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 14, 2017, 09:27:40 am
Sumlin is 23 games above .500 at aTm.  Bret has a losing record here.  You are what your record says you are.

Sumlin had was gifted "Johnny F*****g Football" and  (more importantly) Mike Evans on the same team for two years.

It's hardly comparable.

hog of steele

You are what your record says you are.

This quote works really well for single seasons in the NFL. It is meaningless for coaches in the NCAA.

Pretending that all coaches can be judged by record alone is putting you head in the sand about all the factors that go into creating a great team.

By your metric, nick saban was a pretty average coach who figured something out on the plane between Michigan and Louisiana. Conversely, Petrino was a solid coach who lost something in the wreck. Then remembered it on the back to louiseville.

BearsBisonsBoars

You are what your record says you are.

Kevin Sumlin: .675 Win%

Bill Snyder: .657 Win%

If you think Sumlin is a better coach than Snyder, then we truly have nothing more to say to each other.

rhames

Sumlin also makes over 5MM a year and has crapped on expectations after the 2012 season....

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rhames

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on April 14, 2017, 09:32:51 am
Sumlin had was gifted "Johnny F*****g Football" and  (more importantly) Mike Evans on the same team for two years.

It's hardly comparable.

He also went 8-4 with them in 2013. Let that sink in.

BearsBisonsBoars

Butch Jones should be runaway #1, IMO.

Easily twice the overall talent that we've had, plays in arguably the weakest P5 division, and hasn't done much better than we have playing in the best.

Plus "champions of life" and looming investigations? He's a clown.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on April 14, 2017, 09:45:12 am
Butch Jones should be runaway #1, IMO.

Easily twice the overall talent that we've had, plays in arguably the weakest P5 division, and hasn't done much better than we have playing in the best.

Plus "champions of life" and looming investigations? He's a clown.
While you're at it don't forget the ludicrous "Five star heart" reference.

EastexHawg

I have watched every Texas Tech game for the last two and a half years and if there has ever been a worse P5 defense I would like to see it.

hog of steele

navyhog24

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2017, 09:52:30 am
I have watched every Texas Tech game for the last two and a half years and if there has ever been a worse P5 defense I would like to see it.

Our defense last season ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Bielema probably belongs on this list if all you look at is the number of wins that he has acquired since being at Arkansas. Bielema probably should have won 8-9 every year since his arrival with the exception of 2013. Sumlin definitely deserves to be included on this list if you examine his paycheck at it relates to the number of wins he has against the talent that he has had available to him at A&M.

Is there some bias from this young writer who is from Indiana (Big Ten country), a graduate of Central Michigan and who is the Staff writer for the Fort Wayne TinCaps (San Diego Padres Class-A) and who covers the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (NBA D-League)? Eh, I don't know, maybe.

3 of the 7 that he lists are SEC schools. Being in the SEC makes it more difficult for any coach.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

RazorWest

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2017, 09:59:40 am
Bielema probably belongs on this list if all you look at is the number of wins that he has acquired since being at Arkansas. Bielema probably should have won 8-9 every year since his arrival with the exception of 2013. Sumlin definitely deserves to be included on this list if you examine his paycheck at it relates to the number of wins he has against the talent that he has had available to him at A&M.

Is there some bias from this young writer who is from Indiana (Big Ten country), a graduate of Central Michigan and who is the Staff writer for the Fort Wayne TinCaps (San Diego Padres Class-A) and who covers the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (NBA D-League)? Eh, I don't know, maybe.

3 of the 7 that he lists are SEC schools. Being in the SEC makes it more difficult for any coach.

That, plus almost all the coaches in the SEC are paid in the top 30 or so nationally.  Not everyone can win

EastexHawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 14, 2017, 09:56:06 am
Our defense last season ;)

I know you are saying that tongue in cheek, but there is no comparison.  Half the time I couldn't decide if their defenders were merely taking poor angles to the point of attack or if they were actually afraid of contact and intentionally out of position.  After watching a lot of replays because of utter disbelief in what I had just seen I am convinced that in numerous cases it was the latter.

longtimeHogfan

I'm a fan of CBB.  I like what he's done and how he's done it on 'The Hill.'  But it's year 5.  Fan expectations in the fifth year tend to be high as are mine.  Is there anything JL hasn't given him in order to be successful?  After Missouri and VT the bloom's off the rose for me this year.  No excuses. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Tejano Jawg

I have some good TTech friends, and we've talked about the similarity of our programs in the general sense. We're never picked in the top 2 or 3 of our conferences, but at times we'll knock off one of the big boys. We're not contenders, but we can be dangerous.

In the past few years, the Kingsbury Raiders are an extreme magnified version of the Bielema Hogs—a strong offense, very dynamic at times, with an excellent quarterback...but without a defense good enough to keep them in the game. While last year I thought our D was maybe the worst I've ever seen (for us), the epic scale of Tech's lack of defense was spectacular. Go back and look at their box scores. Against OU, Mahomes passed for over 700 yards, 5 TDs, Tech had over 40 first downs, and lost.

The only reason Kingsbury isn't No. 1 is because Tech isn't a more historically relevant program. Without Mahomes, next year could be Cliffy's last.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

colbs

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 14, 2017, 09:28:06 am
Sumlin has about a 75 percent winning percentage at aTm... You cant forget recruiting is a part of coaching...
Well almost .10 less than 75%.  Anyways how you finish in recruiting doesn't mean anything if it isn't translating to wins.  A&M has only finished once higher than 4th in the west and that was Sumlin's first year.  Finishing top 10 in the recruiting rankings and averaging around 8 wins a year is bad coaching.  BB hasn't done much but he is finishing in the conference about where he is getting paid.  8th highest paid coach in the conference and the last few years that is about where the Hogs have been.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on April 14, 2017, 12:06:24 pm
I'm a fan of CBB.  I like what he's done and how he's done it on 'The Hill.'  But it's year 5.  Fan expectations in the fifth year tend to be high as are mine.  Is there anything JL hasn't given him in order to be successful?  After Missouri and VT the bloom's off the rose for me this year.  No excuses.
I feel the same. It's time to scheiße, or get off the crapper

Letsroll1200

Quote from: colbs on April 14, 2017, 12:28:43 pm
Well almost .10 less than 75%.  Anyways how you finish in recruiting doesn't mean anything if it isn't translating to wins.  A&M has only finished once higher than 4th in the west and that was Sumlin's first year.  Finishing top 10 in the recruiting rankings and averaging around 8 wins a year is bad coaching.  BB hasn't done much but he is finishing in the conference about where he is getting paid.  8th highest paid coach in the conference and the last few years that is about where the Hogs have been.

He's not finishing 17th nationally.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 12:38:31 pm
A whole lot of deflection in this thread.

Bielema's place on that list is absolutely deserved.
No deflection but if a coach is making about a $1M more than another one and averaging only about 1 more win per season then who is more over paid?  Especially if the coach paid higher has a lot more resources.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 12:38:31 pm
A whole lot of deflection in this thread.

Bielema's place on that list is absolutely deserved.

Deep breaths. It'll be okay. CBB won't be at Arkansas forever. Just the next several years.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 12:50:20 pm
Let me help you... that is the definition of deflection.

Also - where are these 'more resources' coming from?  Recruiting?  Who's responsible for those results?
I'll give CMA one thing... he's at least addressed the recruiting issue that was glaringly apparent in recent years.  He even started implementing a zone (gasp) defense when he saw an adjustment was necessary to keep his job compete in tight games.
There are way more SEC caliber players in Houston alone than the whole state of Arkansas.  MA has done a good job recruiting but almost all of those kids are instate.  It takes a lot more players to put together a good football team than basketball.  In basketball you usually only need 3 payers every year.  The state usually produces 3 or so players that are SEC caliber.  Apples and oranges.  If you don't think some places are easier to win at then you are in denial.

HogHomer

Also - where are these 'more resources' coming from?  Recruiting?  Who's responsible for those results?
I'll give CMA one thing... he's at least addressed the recruiting issue that was glaringly apparent in recent years.  He even started implementing a zone (gasp) defense when he saw an adjustment was necessary to keep his job compete in tight games.
So now we see you don't know about football and basketball in the same posts. First TAMU has more resources yes because of recruiting but it's not because of sumlin. It's them coming into the SEC right as Texass is on a decline. We should be asking ourselves why doesn't Sumlin have more wins.

Second, we used zone defense early in the season but it was clear the players weren't comfortable with it and we struggled. As the season went on we had more chance to tweak and practice it and thus getting better at the zone. If you choose not to see it that's​ your problem not ours.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 01:01:39 pm
Loving baseball season.

Where the leadership gets out of bed in the morning and immediately resumes planning some poor victim's demise.

There you go. Accentuate the positives.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 14, 2017, 01:03:38 pm
There you go. Accentuate the positives.
I guess Dave was sleeping last Saturday night, and I love the job he does.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 01:11:33 pm
No, that was inexplicable LSU voodoo.  Some things are un-explainable and yet understood.

So, you're saying different people explain away different events, not really a novel idea.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 01:09:53 pm
Deflection - When you don't like what's being said about your guy... and you immediately work to shift the focus elsewhere.

If the expectations should be lowered to the extent that you're implying by painting such a drastic recruiting picture, then the salaries and contracts shouldn't be anywhere in the same ballpark.

No they were facts.  I even said that BB wasn't doing great but I thought Sumlin was more overpaid.  Geez it's not like I said he was underpaid or anything.

hog of steele

This is how we know this isn't a seriously considered opinion. Its OK to be emotional, but you should try to recognize it.

If you expect a school in Arkansas to get similar recruiting results as the top recruiting school in texas, you are out of your mind.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: colbs on April 14, 2017, 01:51:22 pm
No they were facts.  I even said that BB wasn't doing great but I thought Sumlin was more overpaid.  Geez it's not like I said he was underpaid or anything.

Butch has done a worse job than either. No deflection needed. You can line them up apples to apples and see how horrible Jones has been at UT. That university must be staffed by sadists.