Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guns at Razorback Stadium

Started by GoHogzzGo, March 22, 2017, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 01:12:40 pm
They shot him 5 times. Perhaps he shoots them and only gets shot once and survives? There are a million scenarios that could have played out. But he definitely had 0% chance of surviving without one, that much is clear.

Again i ask you.  Do you live here? Do you think this is the wild west where you can't take a shower without your 9 by your side?  can you really live your life afraid that at any moment some random person can randomly bring violence to your world?

Seriously man i feel so bad for your loss, but then i am thinking why would someone who has felt the pain of a random (assuming random) shooting actually want the potential unleashed of everyone walking around armed and quickest draw lives.  We had that and we evolved into something more.

goodguytex

I'm just not sure how exactly I feel about this. I'm a strong 2nd amendment person, but yet the idea of it being legal to pack heat at a college football game where families bring their little kids... I don't know. I'm struggling with this.

HF#1

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on March 23, 2017, 01:15:12 pm
There is a reason why the words "well regulated" are in the 2nd Amendment.

lol, laughable. Most Historians believe that to mean "well trained"... And if you read it in full and then break it down, you will take that same meaning from it. A militia regulated by the government completely contradicts "shall not be infringed upon".
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

311Hog

Razorback football games do not need a militia present. The police do a fine job.

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 01:18:45 pm
Again i ask you.  Do you live here? Do you think this is the wild west where you can't take a shower without your 9 by your side?  can you really live your life afraid that at any moment some random person can randomly bring violence to your world?

Seriously man i feel so bad for your loss, but then i am thinking why would someone who has felt the pain of a random (assuming random) shooting actually want the potential unleashed of everyone walking around armed and quickest draw lives.  We had that and we evolved into something more.

This entire statement is just as absurd as you think this entire issue is. If you walked into my house, you'd have no idea I even own a gun. If you saw me in public, you'd never know I was carrying one. Your notion that I live life like it's the "Wild West" is fantasy land.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

I'll stop here. I'm not changing your mind and you aren't changing mine. Have a good day.

Hawgar The Horrible

CCW holders are statistically the most law abiding citizens in the country. They are convicted of felonies and misdemeanors just 1/7th of the rate of police officers. The worst case kill rate of the over 14,500,000 CCW holders today (justifiable or not) is 0.003%.

The "wild west" mantra is a bunch of nonsense.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 01:26:54 pm
This entire statement is just as absurd as you think this entire issue is. If you walked into my house, you'd have no idea I even own a gun. If you saw me in public, you'd never know I was carrying one. Your notion that I live life like it's the "Wild West" is fantasy land.

1. You feel like the out come would have been different if your dad was armed i totally get that feeling not knowing the situation or the details who knows.  What i do not want is to have to worry about people carrying guns at a football game when i know there is absolutely no need for them to be there. We are not on the cusp of invasion or anything of the sort.
2. You are right i might not know you are carrying now, but if a bill is passed then i have to acknowledge the very real possibility and act accordingly.  If people are currently carrying and as i said before there have been no problems why should anything change?

I believe the idea that if i have a gun on me that i am some how now "more safe" in the safest place on earth is what is absurd. If you were making a list of all the places in the world where experiencing violence with a gun could happen.  Razorback stadium would be dead last on that list.

HF#1

HF#1

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 01:35:11 pm
1. You feel like the out come would have been different if your dad was armed i totally get that feeling not knowing the situation or the details who knows.  What i do not want is to have to worry about people carrying guns at a football game when i know there is absolutely no need for them to be there. We are not on the cusp of invasion or anything of the sort.
2. You are right i might not know you are carrying now, but if a bill is passed then i have to acknowledge the very real possibility and act accordingly.  If people are currently carrying and as i said before there have been no problems why should anything change?

I believe the idea that if i have a gun on me that i am some how now "more safe" in the safest place on earth is what is absurd. If you were making a list of all the places in the world where experiencing violence with a gun could happen.  Razorback stadium would be dead last on that list.

They exempted sporting events from the law so it's really a non issue now.  I would bet the house that metal detectors go up.

311Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2017, 01:36:48 pm
They exempted sporting events from the law so it's really a non issue now.  I would bet the house that metal detectors go up.

very good and i wouldn't be oppose to the detectors and i agree they are probably on their way.

parallaxpig

Quote from: 311Hog on March 23, 2017, 01:38:48 pm
very good and i wouldn't be oppose to the detectors and i agree they are probably on their way.

Take the word probable out of conversation.  They are on the way.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

goodguytex

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 23, 2017, 01:47:03 pm
Take the word probable out of conversation.  They are on the way.
I'll make sure to leave my pocket change in my truck next time I go to a razorback game.

hobhog

This is a great idea says:

The professor that cussed out coach B last year in drunken rage.

The drunken LSU fan that blames the official for the loss.

Anyone really scared of environments with lots of people.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Cure

I'm sure this will help recruiting. ;)
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hobhog

Quote from: Cure on March 23, 2017, 02:00:16 pm
I'm sure this will help recruiting. ;)

It is not unique to Arkansas.

010HogFan

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2017, 02:06:20 pm
It is not unique to Arkansas.

what IS unique to Arkansas are the slanderous articles being written about us right now. People taking bad information and just running with it. Idiots.

DeltaBoy

Well the State fixed this issue. !!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

factchecker

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2017, 01:57:25 pm
The drunken LSU fan that blames the official for the loss.

Imagine these jerkoffs with a gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwMX11yW4w

He couldn't control his teeth.  What makes people think he could control his temper?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

football rage makes people do crazy things..

The_Iceman

I'm on the board of a Republican group in arkansas. I am pro gun and have 4 in my house. But in no way was this bill a good idea. I'm glad common sense is prevailing and they are going to exempt stadiums, etc.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 23, 2017, 02:14:31 pm
what IS unique to Arkansas are the slanderous articles being written about us right now. People taking bad information and just running with it. Idiots.

Give it a few hours...they'll find something else to run with.

factchecker

https://twitter.com/officialjred/status/844957833095467008

It really is silly when you think about it.

How long did it take this "wonderful" state to pass any form of weed legalization?

Compare that to how long it takes for a gun bill to pass.  Amazing.

I don't even smoke weed but I don't see how we can say it's someones right to carry a gun but not someones right to smoke something as harmless as marijuana.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that some gun deaths would decrease if you fully legalized weed.  The fact that people wouldn't be forced to deal with shady characters would decrease gun violence.

I'm going to step off my political soap box.  I hate politics.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 01:49:20 pm
I'll make sure to leave my pocket change in my truck next time I go to a razorback game.

Pocket change doesn't buy you anything anyway, the UofA prefers folding money, preferably Benjamin's.....

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 23, 2017, 02:33:35 pm
Well the State fixed this issue. !!!

Not exactly, it will meet more opposition in the House, but the UofA will threaten to take their tickets away, and all will be well in the end.

spe450

I couldn't imagine going through life being so afraid for my safety that I would feel the need to carry at a sporting event.

hogcard1964

Quote from: spe450 on March 23, 2017, 03:14:36 pm
I couldn't imagine going through life being so afraid for my safety that I would feel the need to carry at a sporting event.

It's not a matter of being afraid, it's a matter of being able to protect yourself. 

It doesn't matter anyway, they candy as&ed out.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 03:13:45 pm
Not exactly, it will meet more opposition in the House, but the UofA will threaten to take their tickets away, and all will be well in the end.

How many in the House are fans of Razorbacks vs. fans of Little Rock and WMS. This might be the ultimate issue.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 03:17:43 pm
How many in the House are fans of Razorbacks vs. fans of Little Rock and WMS. This might be the ultimate issue.

Doubtful that comes into play, I imagine every school will be getting in touch with their representatives.

factchecker

I wonder how many people would be supportive of the bill if the NCAA allowed players to transfer from Arkansas freely due to feeling "unsafe".

Don't put anything past the NCAA.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

spe450

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 23, 2017, 03:16:53 pm
It's not a matter of being afraid, it's a matter of being able to protect yourself. 

It doesn't matter anyway, they candy as&ed out.

That's exactly what it is.  You are afraid that you wouldn't be able to protect yourself in a stadium loaded with actual police officers and security.  It is straight up fear considering how absurdly rare it is that one would even need to have a pistol on hand at such an event.

Do you ever feel unsafe at collegiate sporting events?  I've been to damn near every stadium in the SEC and have never once felt unsafe.

PorkSoda

Quote from: spe450 on March 23, 2017, 03:14:36 pm
and what good would it do?  is someone going to seriously try to shoot at a terrorist in a crowded arena?  what a chit show.  there is uniformed security.  let them do their job.

nothing good will come of this.  I'm all for the second amendment, but I'm also for common sense.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawgar The Horrible

Psst...they fixed it. Pass it on.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 03:22:51 pm
I wonder how many people would be supportive of the bill if the NCAA allowed players to transfer from Arkansas freely due to feeling "unsafe".

Don't put anything past the NCAA.

There are a lot of other places in Fayetteville that would cause them to feel "unsafe", that's for sure.

spe450

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2017, 03:25:58 pm
and what good would it do?  is someone going to seriously try to shoot at a terrorist in a crowded arena?

nothing good will come of this.  I'm all for the second amendment, but I'm also for common sense.

I'd predict it's more likely that the person would be shot by a responding officer than actually help out in a situation.

spe450

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 03:26:29 pm

Shut it!  This is the closest we have come to the politics forum in quite some time.  After the last few months, some of us have an itch in need of scratchin.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 03:26:29 pm

No, the Senate passed something, nothing in the House, or made it to the Governor's desk. Now, Asa had this in his back pocket when he agreed to sign the law, but it isn't law yet.

factchecker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 23, 2017, 03:27:25 pm
There are a lot of other places in Fayetteville that would cause them to feel "unsafe", that's for sure.

What are you talking about------ WHERE?  Betty Jo Drive is probably the sketchiest place in Fayetteville and it is nothing compared to Little Rock or multiple other places in Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: spe450 on March 23, 2017, 03:29:15 pm
Shut it!  This is the closest we have come to the politics forum in quite some time.  After the last few months, some of us have an itch in need of scratchin.

Politics forum? I rarely venture into Jump Ball.

spe450

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 03:32:11 pm
What are you talking about------ WHERE?  Betty Jo Drive is probably the sketchiest place in Fayetteville and it is nothing compared to Little Rock or multiple other places in Arkansas.

They are doing a pretty damn fine job of gentrification in the sketchy neighborhoods in Fayetteville.  Oakland is turning into expensive condo style housing now.  It's crazy

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 03:31:19 pm
No, the Senate passed something, nothing in the House, or made it to the Governor's desk. Now, Asa had this in his back pocket when he agreed to sign the law, but it isn't law yet.

Meh. You just like seeing people going berserk over nothing.

factchecker

Quote from: spe450 on March 23, 2017, 03:33:57 pm
They are doing a pretty damn fine job of gentrification in the sketchy neighborhoods in Fayetteville.  Oakland is turning into expensive condo style housing now.  It's crazy

Yep.

Rent rates are going crazy as well.

I was bored and was looking at some of the low end rates and what used to be $475 a month is up to $650 a month.

They tore down those old rent houses on the corner of Leverett and North and are building what looks to be condos.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LittlePigMan

I just wonder how all the people that are terrified of the thought of going to ball game where licensed and trained individuals might be carrying a gun go about their daily lives? There are lots of people carrying everywhere these days. How do they get food? Gas? Even get out on the highway? Must be a terrible way to live.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 03:36:36 pm
Meh. You just like seeing people going berserk over nothing.

Only those without any common sense.

spe450

Quote from: factchecker on March 23, 2017, 03:38:28 pm
Yep.

Rent rates are going crazy as well.

I was bored and was looking at some of the low end rates and what used to be $475 a month is up to $650 a month.

They tore down those old rent houses on the corner of Leverett and North and are building what looks to be condos.

All those really crappy places on sycamore are being re-branded now too in order to appeal to a trendier crowd that wants access to the trail.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2017, 03:39:08 pm
Only those without any common sense.

I said common sense prevailed earlier. Wasn't really worried about it either way though. Concealed weapons in RRS wouldn't make it any less safe than going to my local convenience store late at night.