Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Nutt vs Bobby Petrino

Started by BartIV, October 31, 2012, 11:58:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who left the Arkansas Razorback football program in "better" shape the day the left?

Houston Dale Nutt
18 (6.4%)
Bobby Petrino
195 (69.4%)
About the Same
23 (8.2%)
Both left it in Shambles.
45 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 277

b0sc0b

Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

b0sc0b

Quote from: FayettenamSam on November 01, 2012, 06:06:08 am
Who is this Houston Nutt? Before BP there was TCTWF.
You can hate bobby, but he was a winner. Gifted with the X's and O's. The other stuff got him into trouble.  Not excusing it but still love bobby, wishing he and his family the best. Looking forward to tommy t from tech being here post season.
How far the mighty have fallen to embrace the Tubbervillain with open arms.  Alas and alack.
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: b0sc0b on November 01, 2012, 06:21:48 am
How far the mighty have fallen to embrace the Tubbervillain with open arms.  Alas and alack.

Looks like tommy really wants it. Arkansas guy. We could do far worse. Proven sec coach, good recruiter so looks like safe hire. He was my choice over TCTWF back in the day.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 31, 2012, 11:01:04 pm
You nailed it.
Just like Wally Hall...the minute Petrino was gone, here come the articles about 'he couldn't recruit...he was harsh on his players...' blah blah.
The second somebody leaves, here come the attacks.

there were some talking about the weak recruting before he left.  MANY were not happy with the last 2 classes especially.  Coming off 21-5 last years should have been much better.  But hey he did sign 30 or so wr's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

Quote from: b0sc0b on November 01, 2012, 06:20:07 am
Your courage is immeasurable.

You have a peculiar definition of courage.
Go away, batin'

rhinopigathus

bobby at least showed that you could win here.

razorjacket43

Funny thing about this post is they both were fired. For two seperate reasons neither a good one. BP chose his fate when he dipped his winky, Nutt just didnt know how to coach. Nutt proved he couldnt coach when he ran another school into the ground after leaving us. I think BP left us with better skill position players on offense, but nutt left us with a lil better defense and of course we had rb's when nutt was here. Had nutt got offended at Gus being our OC he might have won a championship, butt he got his panties in a wad cried to ole franky and got him shipped to tulsa. Overall I feel like BP got out before his program crumbled, I may be wrong, but i think this year would've been much the same with BP here. Nutt was to dumb to do anything wrong, and BP could'nt out score the offense, but gave it a dang good try.
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

Sivad

Quote from: Teebow62 on October 31, 2012, 08:35:55 pm
I'm tired of talking about the two guys who thought more about sinning...

Chief Mac

Quote from: FayettenamSam on November 01, 2012, 07:02:20 am
Looks like tommy really wants it. Arkansas guy. We could do far worse. Proven sec coach, good recruiter so looks like safe hire. He was my choice over TCTWF back in the day.

see here is one of my problems with people supporting Tuberville.  Their first defense of him is "he is an Arkansas guy".  Shouldn't it be he is a great coach, SEC experience, great defensive mind?  No, people see that he is from Arkansas and they almost wet themselves. 

I could give two sharts if the next coach is from Paris, Arkansas or Paris France, I just want THE BEST coach we can get
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Teebow62 on October 31, 2012, 08:35:55 pm
I'm tired of talking about the two guys who thought more about sinning than leading our football team. Let's talk about who we're gonna get, not these two louses that we got rid of.

so, do you have that double plane glass or stained glass used in the construction of your house?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

The Divine Swine

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 01, 2012, 02:42:52 pm
see here is one of my problems with people supporting Tuberville.  Their first defense of him is "he is an Arkansas guy".  Shouldn't it be he is a great coach, SEC experience, great defensive mind?  No, people see that he is from Arkansas and they almost wet themselves. 

I could give two sharts if the next coach is from Paris, Arkansas or Paris France, I just want THE BEST coach we can get

My mama was born in Paris.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: NolanForAD on November 01, 2012, 04:04:24 pm
France or Arkansas?

Lol, the natural state of course. We are full blooded Arkansans.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

HogsonHicks

Any chance we could install one of these on the computers of Hogvillians to demonstrate some level of sobriety before creating threads?  Please?

pigbacon

After thinking about it...this seems like a trick question.  The day HDN left... the program became instantly better than it was the day before by him just not being here anymore. The opposite is true for BP.

BP pissed excellence on the offensive side of the ball while HDN, well, just tinkles.

BartIV

Quote from: pigbacon on November 01, 2012, 07:07:52 pm
After thinking about it...this seems like a trick question.  The day HDN left... the program became instantly better than it was the day before by him just not being here anymore. The opposite is true for BP.

BP pissed excellence on the offensive side of the ball while HDN, well, just tinkles.
Never thought of it that way, but I see where you are coming from.

westside_player

There are different ways to interpret this question. Do you mean in terms of who left the most talent/best chance to win the next year or 2 or for the long term?

To me it's a no-brainer. Nutt left the program in far better shape over all. Possibly Petrino's  first year left over talent for Smith was a little more than Nutt left Petrino although that could be debated. But I'm not sure there is a valid argument Petrino left it in better shape for the long term.

pigbacon

Quote from: NolanForAD on November 01, 2012, 08:26:31 pm
Pigbacon got it right.

The DAY Houston Dale Nutt leaves any program, that program is FAR better off than it was... light years...

End of story.  Nutt wins by default.

Yeah. Boise State, Arkansas, Ole Miss...

GalaHawg

The question should have been Nuttster vs Johnelle

Zeke_in_KC

Quote from: razorjacket43 on November 01, 2012, 11:19:00 amI feel like BP got out before his program crumbled, I may be wrong, but i think this year would've been much the same with BP here.

+1 for Realism.

the_kosher_pig

Some people think that's a bigger plus with his Arkansas reputation.  Some of us think we need to do a better job recruiting in state instead of the gambles on players out of state.........
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

Hogwild

Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on November 02, 2012, 12:45:09 am
I feel like BP got out before his program crumbled, I may be wrong, but i think this year would've been much the same with BP here.

+1 for Realism.

While we aren't a top 10 team, if BP was still here I don't think we would be 3-5. Yes we have some talent issues, BP knew how adjust & to get the most out of them. I don't think we lose either game in LR, and maybe even Rutgers. What really concerns me is this year's recruiting class.

razorjacket43

This years class is all on the new coach. If the recruit wants to be a Hog no matter what, is great, but i am sure before a young guy signs a letter or wants to stay depends on who they put in as head coach. We could get different results with each different possible coach. So until we know who is coming as a coach, we problably wont have a true guess at what this years class will be.
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

BartIV

Quote from: GalaHawg on November 01, 2012, 09:18:22 pm
The question should have been Nuttster vs Johnelle
I should have thought about adding Petrino and John L. together, but that wouldn't be fair to Petrino. John L. has done more harm than good and has created a bunch of short 1 minute clips of why he should have never been brought in, but JUST SMILE. He helped make Arkansas look like a backwoods joke and its not enough we have to deal with stuff like that to begin with.
You take John L. out of this equation and make Paul Petrino the Interim coach, we don't have as big a mess on our hands, we have the same record and we have an extra 1 million dollars in our pocket that we spend on JLS.
Poor move by Jeff Long.

BartIV

November 03, 2012, 08:17:29 am #73 Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:22:57 am by BartIV
This poll will close at the end of the day.

Houston Nutt getting some votes. Good for him, didn't see that coming.

Chief Mac

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on November 02, 2012, 08:14:11 am
Some people think that's a bigger plus with his Arkansas reputation.  Some of us think we need to do a better job recruiting in state instead of the gambles on players out of state.........

yeah, because the state of Arkansas produces soooooooooo many top tier players.  Yep, lets have a team of good old Arkansas boys.  We may not win much but hell, they will love the helmet and be winners and fighters.

JEEBUS some people do not understand football

SoonerInSpringdale

Quote from: Redhogs on October 31, 2012, 12:00:26 pm
Really Bart?...1,000  better now than then, CBP proved you can win big here...and now it should be expected.

Nutt actually went to conference championship games.

Chief Mac

Quote from: SoonerInSpringdale on November 03, 2012, 08:48:57 am

before Saban made Bama into the Juggernaut it is.  The SEC-W was down and the east was up during Nutt's tenure.  Kinda like UGA getting to the SEC Championship game last year. 

SoonerInSpringdale

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 03, 2012, 08:58:47 am
before Saban made Bama into the Juggernaut it is.  The SEC-W was down and the east was up during Nutt's tenure.  Kinda like UGA getting to the SEC Championship game last year.

So?  There are always ups and downs in teams, divisions and conferences.  Doesn't change the fact that he got to the game and Bobby couldn't sniff it.  Never would have either.  Saban and Miles were so far in his head he couldn't see straight

farmhawg

Quote from: SoonerInSpringdale on November 03, 2012, 08:48:57 am
And the stupidity shows up early today....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Chief Mac

Quote from: SoonerInSpringdale on November 03, 2012, 09:14:37 am
So?  There are always ups and downs in teams, divisions and conferences.  Doesn't change the fact that he got to the game and Bobby couldn't sniff it.  Never would have either.  Saban and Miles were so far in his head he couldn't see straight

actually it does make a difference.  Strength of the division is a big factor in the ability of getting to the championship game.  Nutt was at Arkansas before Bama was head and shoulders above EVERY program in the nation and LSU is one of the top teams in the nation as well.  When Nutt was at Arkansas, the top team in the division rotated based on who had the top senior class.  Additionally, had Bama not been on probation, Nutt would have taken only one team to Atlanta.  That team did not win it on the field.

Propping up Nutt to take potshots at Petrino is beyond ridiculous

SoonerInSpringdale

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 03, 2012, 09:54:29 am
actually it does make a difference.  Strength of the division is a big factor in the ability of getting to the championship game.  Nutt was at Arkansas before Bama was head and shoulders above EVERY program in the nation and LSU is one of the top teams in the nation as well.  When Nutt was at Arkansas, the top team in the division rotated based on who had the top senior class.  Additionally, had Bama not been on probation, Nutt would have taken only one team to Atlanta.  That team did not win it on the field.

Propping up Nutt to take potshots at Petrino is beyond ridiculous

If they are truly apples and oranges then no comparisons should have drawn.  It can be argued that Nutt had more success in the SEC though

BartIV

Quote from: SoonerInSpringdale on November 03, 2012, 01:21:26 pm
If they are truly apples and oranges then no comparisons should have drawn.  It can be argued that Nutt had more success in the SEC though
You give Petrino 5 extra years that Nutt had, he would have surpassed anything Nutt ever did here.

BartIV

Zeke_in_KC

Quote from: BartIV on November 03, 2012, 01:28:00 pmYou give Petrino 5 extra years that Nutt had, he would have surpassed anything Nutt ever did here.

Bobby Petrino has never survived five years, let alone five more...

Now, you're dealing in fantasy.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: BartIV on November 03, 2012, 01:28:00 pm
You give Petrino 5 extra years that Nutt had, he would have surpassed anything Nutt ever did here.
He already did that in just four and after cleaning up the mess left by Nutt.

bigpigonthehill

They both did about the same damage. They both did not achieve what an SEC and national champion ship team desire. Petrino was a lot better than Nutt.

The one thing both did was cause a stir and hunger in Razorback nation. They caused us to desire and hunger for a better agenda and to push the program to the next level. We got a somewhat taste of what we could achieve. However, we now know deep inside the true commitment we must put forth in attaining a great coach and recruitment of players. Long is now a problem. Either he bows to the wishes and desires of the fans or he gets out of Dodge. He has no choice. We are just too disgusted with mediocrity.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

SoonerInSpringdale

Quote from: BartIV on November 03, 2012, 01:28:00 pm

When comparing I don't look at what people might have done in x number of infinite years on the job.  I just deal with what they actually did when they had the job.  Nutt competed for SEC titles.  Petrino struggled to get 3rd in his division.

theregoestalley

November 03, 2012, 09:11:14 pm #87 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:18:04 am by theregoestalley
Nutt left the talent base for a good start at a big bowl with a great final class but left very little upper class talent. Petrino left a great running back who was fresh from being misused a good qb and a really good wr/te combo all who will be gone next year. There might be some good young talent but too early to say. Overall I think nutt left a better situation for long term success

Hogustus Caesar

I agree, but like the fact that he knows the razorback fan base, understands the love for the program since he is from here. He is a winner. May do better. NFL season is not over yet, may have interest in coaches from there.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Zeke_in_KC

Quote from: theregoestalley on November 03, 2012, 09:11:14 pmOverall I think nutt left a better situation for long term success.

That's debatable.

What isn't is that Houston Nutt left an offensive line which allowed Ryan Mallett to succeed.  Bobby Petrino recruited an offensive line allowing Tyler Wilson to fail.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 03, 2012, 08:25:11 am
yeah, because the state of Arkansas produces soooooooooo many top tier players.  Yep, lets have a team of good old Arkansas boys.  We may not win much but hell, they will love the helmet and be winners and fighters.

JEEBUS some people do not understand football
Arkansas produces way more than you realize.  We just don't offer them.  High School TEAMS are better outside the state.  Our talent here is just as good as the talent elsewhere.  Luckily we are recruiting PLAYERS, not TEAMS.  You clearly do not understand football. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.