Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

# 2 in only 4 years?

Started by plumbhog, January 13, 2018, 04:23:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

I've been around long enough not to make these kind of predictions as so many things can change in 2-4 years. I hope DS is right, but suspect he is telling us what he thinks we want to hear.

I am cautiously optimistic about CM but haven't seen enough of him as a HC to anoint the guy. I like his energy and the way he handles himself but will reserve judgment for awhile. I still thought Bielema had a chance to win here as recently as halftime of the Mizzou game last year. Maybe not a championship, but win 8 a year or so.

That was after having serious reservations at first. I heard of his hiring from a lady coworker that day in late 2012. When she said some guy named "Bret somebody from Wisconsin" was the hire, I laughed thinking it couldn't be right. She must have heard wrong.

I had a sick feeling in my gut as I was not a fan of his from some of his foot-in-mouth comments and didn't like his offense other than the Russell Wilson season. I told my nephew that I thought we were going to be on the wrong side of history hiring a run oriented coach with all the high powered spread offenses. I was hoping for maybe Gundy if he could get a strong DC.

I gradually came to like the guy, even as I cringed at some of his mouth in overdrive brain in neutral comments. I thought if he could get 4 star linemen like Kirkland and Reeves and a high 3 like Skipper on such short notice, it could work with the right QB.

Then came the unraveling at Mizzou and even though I had many misgivings from the start, especially after the Toledo, T Tech and MSU giveaways in 2015, I still thought it might work until then.

The Belk Bowl was deja vu and it hit me that this guy didn't have a clue even as I had suspected as much often prior to that. When his answer to the 2nd half woes was to work out and practice later in the day, I dreaded this season. I have never been one of those people who want their team to lose to get another coach, I just can't bring myself to do that.

I hoped for better, but the TCU game confirmed to me we were in for more of the same. I never rooted for a loss but hated the idea that if that buffoon eked out 6 wins he would likely be retained. My fear before JL's firing was that he would have to be forced to fire his buddy and saddle us with a Jim Grobe/Tommy Bowden type hire.

I was hoping he would resign when forced to fire BB or not get to make the next hire. I know we don't have the recruiting base of UGA but it occurred to me UGA had not played for a NC in 37 years until this year. Richt was a solid coach but it took a long time for them to find the right guy for them to reach their potential.

Our potential is not equal to theirs, but I certainly hope for all our sake that CM can be the guy to do that here, whatever that potential may be. It may be that Petrino did that in 2010-11 and we can't do any better until Saban is out of the SEC. That 12-4 record in the SEC in those two seasons and 21-5 overall had us close to the top of the league.

#3 in the nation going into that LSU game in 2011. The losses were not to just anyone. 2 losses to 'Bama, one we should have won in '10, the loss to a circus freak and the officials at Auburn in a season they went undefeated, Ohio State in another we should have won and an undefeated until the NC game LSU in 2011.

It takes avoiding injuries as much as anything for us and a few kind bounces of the ball, but mainly good recruiting and coaching. We won't know about the recruiting until next year probably and the coaching sometime in the future. But we have hope where there was none. I'll take that for now.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 18, 2018, 12:13:07 am
So your saying "many" as in those guys who write the little paragraphs about each teams potential projection each season?  Remember the 2015 season when the announcers would hype our O-line each game.  They would talk about how big and tough they were.  By comparision, we went on to have a decent enough year, but that I -line rarely came through when they were needed to make a big play.  Now, that was probably Brets best offensive front.  And those guys left much to be desired.  But everybody hyped them up all year because they had this expectation surrounding them.  Bottom Line....don't listen to the noise!
I never do.  I always believe my lying eyes.  And I haven't seen this OL group play very well.  At least not consistently well. 

jimhog

In my opinion Chavis will be the ceiling short of what the article states as potential.