Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Hebert/NFL Combine

Started by draftkings33, March 05, 2018, 12:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

draftkings33

Here we are again at the combine and our numbers suck again.  Tolliver 6 reps?  Really?  Ragnow our stud of all studs 26 reps? Weak! It happens every year we can't lift jack.  Glad he's gone.  I got laughed off this board when I told yall he was awful.   

PorkRinds

His results withstanding, none of those guys have been working with him for like 6 months at least. Hard to blame him for their current results when he wasn't their coach.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 12:53:08 pm
His results withstanding, none of those guys have been working with him for like 6 months at least. Hard to blame him for their current results when he wasn't their coach.
Did you mean 6 weeks? He was fired early Dec, so I don't think it's been 6 months. Ragnow would fit that as he was injured.

draftkings33

If you have guys in a program for 4 years they should be able to put up better numbers.  He will flat out tell you he doesn't believe in bench press which is pretty crazy. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: draftkings33 on March 05, 2018, 12:57:49 pm
If you have guys in a program for 4 years they should be able to put up better numbers.  He will flat out tell you he doesn't believe in bench press which is pretty crazy.
Not a good look for recruiting when your strength coach doesn't put emphasis on an exercise tested at the combine! He can have his personal belief that bench press isn't a good "football" exercise, but if the combine tests it you better get your players ready for it!

26.2Hog

I have to assume the NFL thinks the bench press is a good football exercise, or why else would they test for it at the combine?

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2018, 12:55:43 pm
Did you mean 6 weeks? He was fired early Dec, so I don't think it's been 6 months. Ragnow would fit that as he was injured.

The season was over months ago. Did these guys continue to work with Herbert? I figure they'd be doing their own thing after the season and he was gone early December. So I suppose it was four months not six. 

AirWarren

Quote from: draftkings33 on March 05, 2018, 12:51:22 pm
Here we are again at the combine and our numbers suck again.  Tolliver 6 reps?  Really?  Ragnow our stud of all studs 26 reps? Weak! It happens every year we can't lift jack.  Glad he's gone.  I got laughed off this board when I told yall he was awful.

But but but but when the lights go out.........

twistitup

In before Rice defends the former S&C and nutrition program
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 05, 2018, 02:23:02 pm
In before Rice defends the former S&C and nutrition program

Smartass.

Hogberry Snortcake

26 is fine for somebody that tall/long-armed.  Not great, but fine.  It won't hurt or help him.

6 is just... wow. 

draftkings33

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on March 05, 2018, 02:30:19 pm
26 is fine for somebody that tall/long-armed.  Not great, but fine.  It won't hurt or help him.

6 is just... wow.
So you are telling me if he busted out 33 reps that would'nt help him?  That logic is crazy

#1 STUNNA

sure hope morris can recruit us some faster athletes..

26.2Hog

6 is just... wow.

6 is pretty bad, but not as bad as CB J. T. Thomas from Oklahoma.  He only had 4.

justmakeit2thebcs

March 05, 2018, 03:54:29 pm #14 Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:06:02 pm by justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: draftkings33 on March 05, 2018, 03:00:49 pm
So you are telling me if he busted out 33 reps that would'nt help him?  That logic is crazy
I don't follow your logic. Of course more is better. 70 would have been awesome. 2 would have been terrible. 26 is in between and neither really helps or hurts.

twistitup

Griffin did 20....he's a one armed LB

Ragnow should have done more than 26 - but he will be ok - still a stud.

Let's not talk about Brown - his combine was a disaster. One of the weakest and slowest lineman to ever compete in the combine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/02/orlando-brown-jr-oklahoma-had-historically-bad-nfl-combine-workout/391640002/

RaisinHog

Quote from: twistitup on March 05, 2018, 04:16:19 pm

Let's not talk about Brown - his combine was a disaster. One of the weakest and slowest lineman to ever compete in the combine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/02/orlando-brown-jr-oklahoma-had-historically-bad-nfl-combine-workout/391640002/
Maybe Wilkins from Camden will see this lol

FANONTHEHILL

High Rep bench press is nice, but to see Ragnow's value, all you have to do is watch film.  We all went crazy when Petrus set the record, but Mitch was only in the league 3 years.  The bench doesn't mean that much.  Frank's resume' will make him a high draft pick and he will have a king career barring injury.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 01:42:22 pm
The season was over months ago. Did these guys continue to work with Herbert? I figure they'd be doing their own thing after the season and he was gone early December. So I suppose it was four months not six. 
sure, but they have been working with him for 4 years.  unless they quit working out and started eating bon bons,then I'd guess their routines haven't changed all that much in the last few months.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogberry Snortcake

Nope. You should probably read that again

bennyl08

Only 10 OL players did better than Ragnow on the bench. 22 did worse. Not to mention the 12 who didn't even try. 15 of the 33 players who competed were within ±2 reps of Ragnow. That's hardly a negative whatsoever.

He was in the top quarter of approximately the top 10% of players in the country. With OL players, anything between 20-30 is considered fine. Less than 20 is generally bad and more than 30 is surprising.

Toliver's 6 reps were definitely negative for him.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ZERO

No, that's not at all what he's telling you. He said 26 reps won't hurt or help him, and he's right - that's a fairly solid, yet unimpressive number.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

longbore

Don't care who you are....25 reps at 225lbs is a good day...

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Been10Hog on March 05, 2018, 01:33:13 pm
Not a good look for recruiting when your strength coach doesn't put emphasis on an exercise tested at the combine! He can have his personal belief that bench press isn't a good "football" exercise, but if the combine tests it you better get your players ready for it!
nothing to say after this. If the entire NFL values this and your S&C doesn't, that should have been a red flag.
Pittman or Bust!

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 06, 2018, 06:17:57 am
nothing to say after this. If the entire NFL values this and your S&C doesn't, that should have been a red flag.

You need to talk to some NFL GM's, they don't value it at all.  The tape 90%, interviews 10%, Bench 0%.   They combine is for TV and little competition.  BH is a quality S&C coach, which is why he is still employed at Michigan making 10x's what you make.   Are you smarter than Harbaugh when it comes to football? S&C?  Continue to be amazed by those of you who think you're experts at coahcing, recruiting and conditioning, yet your not out making 6 or 7 figurers a year.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: twistitup on March 05, 2018, 04:16:19 pm

When you combine Brown's terrible combine performance with the fact that the big 12 had like 4 front 7 defensive players at the combine, scouts have to be terrified of Brown at this point.
They will be watching every second of the Ohio State and Clemson game. Over and over and over.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You losers just wait for the one legged squat results... [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

You guys remember Cody Hollister popping out 32 of these bad boys? I remember reading over the results and sis a double take on 32. I thought it was a typo!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

twistitup

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 05, 2018, 05:30:53 pm
High Rep bench press is nice, but to see Ragnow's value, all you have to do is watch film.  We all went crazy when Petrus set the record, but Mitch was only in the league 3 years.  The bench doesn't mean that much.  Frank's resume' will make him a high draft pick and he will have a king career barring injury.

Maybe Mitch let his music interests get in the way.

The_Iceman

Bench has a lot to do with arm length and technique. Not a good gauge on how strong someone is, honestly.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 06, 2018, 11:15:54 am
Bench has a lot to do with arm length and technique. Not a good gauge on how strong someone is, honestly.

I disagree. It's a great measure of strength, especially for an offensive lineman.
As for technique, every lift requires technique. Usually the better technique, the more good you get from the lift.
It's not a good measure if you're not doing it right.

jcbville

Soooo should all schools with players who did less than Ragnow fire their S&C? Cus man they must be looking and thinking "GD that rando guy on Hogville is right! Pathetic! We must now fire our guy!" Rabble... rabble...

FANONTHEHILL

6'5", 312 LBs. 20 reps on bench at the 2014 combine.  That's Detroit Lion starting center and former Razorback Travis Swanson's combine results.  Another Razorback, Mitch Petrus, set the record a few years back.   He was in the league less than 3 seasons.  Bench press is nice, but the palms down, wide grip of a bench press is not the hands in, thumbs up, punch and lift that offensive lineman use while playing the position.  The combine is nice, but four years of game film is why Frank will go in the first two rounds and barring injury, will have a long productive career.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Mjs84

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 12:53:08 pm

No, but you can blame Herbet for the bunch of sissy boys on the O-line that got pushed around the whole time Bielema was here.  He was into size and not strength.

Mjs84

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 06, 2018, 08:40:45 am
You need to talk to some NFL GM's, they don't value it at all.  The tape 90%, interviews 10%, Bench 0%.   They combine is for TV and little competition.  BH is a quality S&C coach, which is why he is still employed at Michigan making 10x's what you make.   Are you smarter than Harbaugh when it comes to football? S&C?  Continue to be amazed by those of you who think you're experts at coahcing, recruiting and conditioning, yet your not out making 6 or 7 figurers a year.

Ya, cuz Matt Jones combine performance did little to help him get drafted early by the Jags.  And for those of you who are suffering from autism, I'm being sarcastic.  Now get over yourself moron.

Mjs84

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 06, 2018, 10:25:38 am
You guys remember Cody Hollister popping out 32 of these bad boys? I remember reading over the results and sis a double take on 32. I thought it was a typo!

Hollister played below his potential here at Arkansas.  Could have been BBS fault, could have been Cody or a number of things.  Glad he's found a spot in the league along with his brother.

Hog Fan from Camden

6 is just... wow. 
I'm 56 years old and can bench 225lb 6 times!  Not trying to bash!

Jek Tono Porkins

One thing that does kind of make me mad...read AA's strengths/weaknesses report:

"Amount of hits and sacks he's taken over last two seasons have taken a toll"

"Missed four games this season due to serious shoulder injury"

"Average arm lacked needed velocity after his injury"

"Former head coach, Bret Bielema believes Allen has been permanently affected by these ailments"

If it wasn't for the abysmal protection he's had to put up with over the past 2 seasons, half of the "weaknesses" in his report wouldn't be mentioned.
Now he was never a high-round pick but his shot of at least having a backup career and making a few million bucks are for all intents and purposes trashed.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Jimbob111

Bench press is a very misunderstood lift. As a compound lift it uses the entire upper body, core, and legs (if using proper technique) and is an excellent indicator of overall strength and power. It's not the best lift for the chest but it's one of the best overall lifts in that it hits so many areas and utilizes so many stabilizing muscles. I don't believe in bench press for chest development, either, but I believe in it as one of the best compound lifts for overall development. Dumbbell press and dumbbell flyes are both better at pec development (better ROM and easier to isolate)  but bench press, from a football standpoint is a better lift. Or have most S&C coaches, in college and the NFL been doing it wrong all this time? Downplaying the bench is like downplaying squats:  There is no substitute for overall development. You could argue deadlifts are better than squats but there is not a better overall lift for the upper body than bench press.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 06, 2018, 12:39:33 pm
6'5", 312 LBs. 20 reps on bench at the 2014 combine.  That's Detroit Lion starting center and former Razorback Travis Swanson's combine results.  Another Razorback, Mitch Petrus, set the record a few years back.   He was in the league less than 3 seasons.  Bench press is nice, but the palms down, wide grip of a bench press is not the hands in, thumbs up, punch and lift that offensive lineman use while playing the position.  The combine is nice, but four years of game film is why Frank will go in the first two rounds and barring injury, will have a long productive career.

On a similar note—running backs and their times. I heard a piece today questioning the combine's sprint/40 times while wearing high-tech running gear. The example on the flip side they pointed out—how fast Leonard Fournette is IN PADS. The combine serves a purpose, but is mainly good for water-cooler/beer talk.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Nashville Fan

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 06, 2018, 08:40:45 am
I am the controller for a multi-billion dollar healthcare company. I've made 6 figures for over 15 years now. I have sat in the Arizona Cardinal's owners seats for Superbowls. I personally think a lot of people are smarter than Harbaugh when it comes to football and picking good coaches.
Pittman or Bust!

atekido

Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 05, 2018, 01:39:37 pm
I have to assume the NFL thinks the bench press is a good football exercise, or why else would they test for it at the combine?

40 yard dash is irrelevant but still used.  Fournett Is currently the fastest guy in the NFL yet was like 50th something in the 40 in just his year at the combine.  The combine is a spectacle.  nothing more. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: atekido on March 08, 2018, 07:53:35 pm

40 yard dash is irrelevant but still used.  Fournett Is currently the fastest guy in the NFL yet was like 50th something in the 40 in just his year at the combine.  The combine is a spectacle.  nothing more. 
I'd say the combine is about having consistent testing.  they don't do it just for fun.  while none of the tests directly translate to on the field performance, they are all standardized so it provides a way to compare athletes other than just game tape.  it is only one piece of a much bigger evaluation puzzle.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

draftkings33

Quote from: atekido on March 08, 2018, 07:53:35 pm

Oh my you need to get a clue man.  If you think he is the fastest guy in the NFL you probably are gonna have to search hard to get a clue.

draftkings33

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 06, 2018, 07:27:47 pm
I am the controller for a multi-billion dollar healthcare company. I've made 6 figures for over 15 years now. I have sat in the Arizona Cardinal's owners seats for Superbowls. I personally think a lot of people are smarter than Harbaugh when it comes to football and picking good coaches.
Thats nice.  Nobody cares how much money you make or what you control. 

RME

What

steveaustin69

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no one cares!

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 06, 2018, 11:43:51 am

I disagree. It's a great measure of strength, especially for an offensive lineman.
As for technique, every lift requires technique. Usually the better technique, the more good you get from the lift.
It's not a good measure if you're not doing it right.
You obviously know zero about blocking..  Its about the punch, footwork and leverage.   Watch the tape, then watch it again.  Talk to some pro lineman, college coaches and quit remembering what you Jr. High coach told you.

AirWarren

"Controller" huh?  Seems kind of an elementary description for such a big dog.