Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We've won 7 of our last 9 games. The wheels have not fallen off.

Started by dsims2k3, February 07, 2018, 12:40:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

After starting 1-3 in sec play, everyone would  have taken 8 wins out of the next 11 games (which includes 5 on the road).

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 12:40:07 pm
After starting 1-3 in sec play, everyone would  have taken 5 wins out of the next 8 games (which includes 4 on the road).

Don't point out facts around here.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

FineAsSwine

The team wheels may not have fallen off but Jumpball's wheels have fallen off; the wagon is turned over; the indians are circling and firing flaming arrows and closing in for the kill and the soldiers (Hog coaches) are asleep at the fort.
Hogs up! Covid down!

code red

Good grief.  If we would have lost to the USC-e team last night.  I'd say the wheels had fallen off.  Think they have lost 4 in a row, and they look pathetic.  I thought Gafford got more involved last night.  Big big games going forward.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

What is your point?  We've won 4 of our last 7 SEC games.  Escaped shorthanded OSU at home.  We are 5-6 in the conference with 4 double digit losses and 2 OT wins.  Still enough winnable games on the schedule (bad to mediocre opponents to be more specific) to where at least 4 more wins are likely. 

Fans are going to view what has happened differently. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 07, 2018, 01:19:08 pm
What is your point?  We've won 4 of our last 7 SEC games.  Escaped shorthanded OSU at home.  We are 5-6 in the conference with 4 double digit losses and 2 OT wins.  Still enough winnable games on the schedule (bad to mediocre opponents to be more specific) to where at least 4 more wins are likely. 

Ok Captain Obvious, his point was that we have won 4 out of our last 6 games and that that was a good thing. Or at least that's what I gathered. I guess you thought it was necessary to bring the counterpoint just in case none of us have been watching this year.

Hogs up! Covid down!

dsims2k3

What is your point? We've won 4 of our last 7 SEC games.  Escaped shorthanded OSU at home.  We are 5-6 in the conference with 4 double digit losses and 2 OT wins.  Still enough winnable games on the schedule (bad to mediocre opponents to be more specific) to where at least 4 more wins are likely. 

You answered your own question...😂

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Hog Fan...DOH!

In my opinion, Vanderbilt is the only "bad" team left on the schedule.  And even that's relative. 

And apparently not all "fans" agree with your opinion. 

Poker_hog

The only halfway impressive win out of those was the road win at Georgia.  The rest were against bad teams at home. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 07, 2018, 01:41:58 pm
In my opinion, Vanderbilt is the only "bad" team left on the schedule.  And even that's relative. 

And apparently not all "fans" agree with your opinion.

No darn on both your comments.  We agree. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

won 4 of the last 6 sec games sounds great UNTIL PUT IN CONTEXT. That 4 out of 6 still leaves them under .500 in SEC play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dsims2k3

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 01:51:38 pm
won 4 of the last 6 sec games sounds great UNTIL PUT IN CONTEXT. That 4 out of 6 still leaves them under .500 in SEC play.
Not really... We stole a road win just like the home game that was stolen from us. Win out at home and go 500, or go out and steal one more road game in case we lose one more at home.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 01:49:16 pm
The only halfway impressive win out of those was the road win at Georgia.  The rest were against bad teams at home.

Every team Arkansas beats is a bad team to some posters on this board.

NoogaHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 01:04:25 pm
The team wheels may not have fallen off but Jumpball's wheels have fallen off; the wagon is turned over; the indians are circling and firing flaming arrows and closing in for the kill and the soldiers (Hog coaches) are asleep at the fort.

Jumpball has gone all Mountain Meadows!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 02:02:20 pm
Not really... We stole a road win just like the home game that was stolen from us. Win out at home and go 500, or go out and steal one more road game in case we lose one more at home.

LSU stole the game in a 21pt win? 

Yep.  Get to .500 and that min goal. 

razorpimp

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 07, 2018, 02:06:29 pm

Bad teams is a "bad" term....they have beaten a bunch of average teams except Tennessee and Oklahoma

hogsanity

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 02:02:20 pm

none of that changes that by winning 4 of the last 6 sec games leaves them at 5-6 which is UNDER .500 in sec play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Poker_hog

OSU rpi 105,  without 2 starters is a bad team, we escaped with a win.
USC, 12-11 is a bad team, beat them like we should have
Ole miss, 11-13 rpi 98 is a bad team, escaped with a win
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razorpimp on February 07, 2018, 02:13:18 pm
Bad teams is a "bad" term....they have beaten a bunch of average teams except Tennessee and Oklahoma

You can say that about every team in college basketball

rljjr

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 12:40:07 pm
After starting 1-3 in sec play, everyone would  have taken 5 wins out of the next 8 games (which includes 4 on the road).

We shouldn't have started 1-3 in conference.

hogsanity

name the last good team they beat. I'd say TN. Ga, OSU, OM and SC certainly are not good.

Dirty

Quote from: code red on February 07, 2018, 01:16:21 pm
Good grief.  If we would have lost to the USC-e team last night.  I'd say the wheels had fallen off.  Think they have lost 4 in a row, and they look pathetic.  I thought Gafford got more involved last night.  Big big games going forward.

If, If, if, If, If.....

Cargill A. BullHog

Mike has a .667 winning percentage over the last several games.  In other words, he has the Hogs peaking at the right time, the end of the season.  God bless the Hogs and Coach A
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 02:54:02 pm
name the last good team they beat. I'd say TN. Ga, OSU, OM and SC certainly are not good.

TN isnt good since when or OSU for that matter didn't TN sweep Kentucky and OSU beat Kansas in kansas?

dsims2k3

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 07, 2018, 04:15:04 pm
Mike has a .667 winning percentage over the last several games.  In other words, he has the Hogs peaking at the right time, the end of the season.  God bless the Hogs and Coach A

Let's Go!
#fastest40
#wehogs
#dialedin
#hawgball

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

3of5-2

Davidr295

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 05:34:46 pm

Let's Go!
#fastest40
#wehogs
#dialedin
#hawgball

LOL.  You actually posted the hashtags.  I was going to ask if you were going to give us a #wefast or something. 

HogFaninMemphis

Dang guys the OP is just mentioning we've won 4 of 6. Can't you just celebrate that fact? Everyone here knows we had a couple of lucky victories there (50/50 games in OSU and UGA), but we still won the games. OSU isn't very good, but they did beat KU last weekend. South Carolina, LSU, and Ole Miss are not very good. LSU loss is going to haunt us, if nothing else for seeding, but we still beat UGA. You'd rather at the end of the day beat UGA and lose to LSU than beat LSU and lose to UGA, as LSU's RPI isn't dreadful.
This team isn't peaking as another poster mentioned, but they seem to be playing more consistent offense, and the defense looked better against a bad offense on Tuesday. Hopefully, they figured some stuff out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 08, 2018, 09:00:10 am
Dang guys the OP is just mentioning we've won 4 of 6. Can't you just celebrate that fact? Everyone here knows we had a couple of lucky victories there (50/50 games in OSU and UGA), but we still won the games. OSU isn't very good, but they did beat KU last weekend. South Carolina, LSU, and Ole Miss are not very good. LSU loss is going to haunt us, if nothing else for seeding, but we still beat UGA. You'd rather at the end of the day beat UGA and lose to LSU than beat LSU and lose to UGA, as LSU's RPI isn't dreadful.
This team isn't peaking as another poster mentioned, but they seem to be playing more consistent offense, and the defense looked better against a bad offense on Tuesday. Hopefully, they figured some stuff out.

Good reasonable post.  Took time to look a little below the surface of the results.  Note in the OSU win over KU, one of the players who missed our game scored 24 for them in that one. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

farfromgroovins

So which is it?
CMA hasn't had a losing season in his 15 years of coaching.......CMA is 4-2 in his last 6 games......CMA is 5-5 in his last 10? ?

I like to reserve judgement until the end of the season because of the run they made at the end of last year but the last 5 losses have been bad....ugly.....not Razorback basketball. I can take a whooping from time to time but all of those were bad.

311Hog

i was thinking about this this morning.  All that really matters is getting into the big dance everything else is just speculation and "hope" to predict an outcome.  The thing is get in the dance doesn't really matter where (seed 16 not ideal but any other seed), and you got a shot.  Everyone is 0-0 single elimination winner take all you know.

That is all i want.  I want the Hogs to be in that dance.  How they do in that dance will determine my happiness or disappointment in the season.  If they go to the sweet sixteen i won't even remember that they were swept by a bad LSU team that was a bad match up for them in the regular season.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on February 08, 2018, 09:52:37 am

i won't even remember that they were swept by a bad LSU team that was a bad match up for them in the regular season.

Right there is one of the main problems many of us have. In yr 7 a bad LSU ( or bad anyone ) should not be a matchup problem. By yr 7 YOU should be the matchup problem for any bad team.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 09:59:21 am
Right there is one of the main problems many of us have. In yr 7 a bad LSU ( or bad anyone ) should not be a matchup problem. By yr 7 YOU should be the matchup problem for any bad team.

see i don't agree.

I don't think it is possible to be a match up problem for every team you face.  The game is to dynamic for that.

LSU has pieces that counter our pieces.  They shoot well from 3 they have a sneaky fast PG, bigs inside that can shoot the 3 and play inside to rebound.

We on the other had match up really well against other teams like South Carolina for example.

Again my point is that in some sports what you do in the post season is really all that matters.  And in college you gotta get in to win so all i really care about right this moment is getting into the dance.  My whole concern clock will reset when that happens.

jst01

Quote from: 311Hog on February 08, 2018, 10:05:31 am
  And in college you gotta get in to win so all i really care about right this moment is getting into the dance.  My whole concern clock will reset when that happens.

Makes sense. That's why a lot of people believe that if you don't make the tournament, you have basically accomplished nothing. Doesn't matter how many decent teams you beat or if you had a winning record.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: jst01 on February 08, 2018, 10:07:35 am
Makes sense. That's why a lot of people believe that if you don't make the tournament, you have basically accomplished nothing. Doesn't matter how many decent teams you beat or if you had a winning record.
agreed. Make the dance. This team is not a great team so don't expect a good seed. Get there and see what happens.
The reality is if you make the tournament consistently, your odds are much better at making a run at some point than if you make it every five years. Make the dance.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on February 08, 2018, 10:05:31 am
see i don't agree.

I don't think it is possible to be a match up problem for every team you face.  The game is to dynamic for that.

LSU has pieces that counter our pieces.  They shoot well from 3 they have a sneaky fast PG, bigs inside that can shoot the 3 and play inside to rebound.

We on the other had match up really well against other teams like South Carolina for example.

Again my point is that in some sports what you do in the post season is really all that matters.  And in college you gotta get in to win so all i really care about right this moment is getting into the dance.  My whole concern clock will reset when that happens.

I did not say for every team, just for the BAD teams.

I agree 100% that in college basketball you are measured by IF you get in the ncaat, and then what you do when you get there.

It was like the year the Hogs beat KY TWICE. No one outside of Hog fans remember that because the Hogs ended up in the NIt and Ky ended up in the Final 4.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 08, 2018, 10:45:09 am
agreed. Make the dance. This team is not a great team so don't expect a good seed. Get there and see what happens.
The reality is if you make the tournament consistently, your odds are much better at making a run at some point than if you make it every five years. Make the dance.

Perfect.  Someone has it figured out.  If you get to the dance, youve got a chance.

Another benefit is if you make the tournament consistently, the program begins inching its way back to where it was in 94.  Coach A will get us there

hogsanity

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 08, 2018, 11:11:34 am
Perfect.  Someone has it figured out.  If you get to the dance, youve got a chance.

Funny, I have been told here by some of Mike's most ardent backers, that the NCAAT is not the measuring stick of a successful program.

Cotton

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 01:04:25 pm
and Forrest City Joe drowned while Fording the river..
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 11:16:14 am
Funny, I have been told here by some of Mike's most ardent backers, that the NCAAT is not the measuring stick of a successful program.

Of course it is, and I think its silly to suggest otherwise,  but it takes time to build a program, not just a team. Stanley Heath and John Pelphrey not only were terrible coaches, they were program destroyers.  They ruined the image, split the fanbase, and changes us from a foot/basket school to a foot/base school.  Coach A is trying to build a program like we had in the 90's, which means there will be a few dips on the way.  But he's getting there and Im confident that he's the man for the job. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 08, 2018, 11:22:39 am
Of course it is, and I think its silly to suggest otherwise,  but it takes time to build a program, not just a team. Stanley Heath and John Pelphrey not only were terrible coaches, they were program destroyers.  They ruined the image, split the fanbase, and changes us from a foot/basket school to a foot/base school.  Coach A is trying to build a program like we had in the 90's, which means there will be a few dips on the way.  But he's getting there and Im confident that he's the man for the job. 

Yet Heath made the ncaat as many times as Mike has ( and did it in one less year ) and really Pel's trip was with Heath's players.

It does not take a decade to build a program that gets to the ncaat more often than not. It may take that long to build one that gets to the sweet 16 most of the time, but not to build a bubble program.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Numbers can be toyed with all day and night.  "We've won X of our last Y!  Yeah but we've still got a losing record!  Yeah but we've won two in a row!" 

Whatever.

I think any objective observer would say this team hasn't actually looked GOOD since sometime in December.  There are flashes of Fastest 40 basketball.  But they usually disappear as soon as they arrive.

The losses are frequently awful and the wins aren't exactly 90-point dunk city anymore.  The latter would be understandable, except it's not even close.

Too many times in conference play it seems as though Macon is literally all we've got. 

Start consistently playing better basketball and I think folks will quit worrying about whether or not the wheels have fallen off. 

When you look at the position this team was in after the holidays, it's sad we're even having this conversation. 

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 11:27:05 am
Yet Heath made the ncaat as many times as Mike has ( and did it in one less year ) and really Pel's trip was with Heath's players.

It does not take a decade to build a program that gets to the ncaat more often than not. It may take that long to build one that gets to the sweet 16 most of the time, but not to build a bubble program.

Stanley had the benefit of the program being closer to the top than it is today.  Stanley was a solid recruiter too, no doubt, he just couldn't figure out how to draw up an inbounds play, or any play for that matter.  John Pelphrey was a waste of space in NWA.  Im not sure he is qualified to coach a boys club team.  He really set our program back in status.  Not only was he a blueblood who wouldve left us in a heartbeat for UK (sound familiar) he was an abject failure as a coach. I just think Coach A has spent most of the last few years digging out of a deep hole program wise.  I firmly believe we'll be in this year, and the next 3 years minimum.  But in the end Coach A shoud be judged by tourny appearances.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on February 08, 2018, 12:09:37 pm
Numbers can be toyed with all day and night.

The fact is, this team hasn't actually looked GOOD since 2017.  That's the problem.

The losses are frequently awful and the wins aren't exactly 90-point dunk city anymore.  Not even close.

Too many times in conference play it seems as though Macon is literally all we've got. 

Start consistently playing better basketball and I think folks will quit worrying about whether or not the wheels have fallen off. 

When you look at the position this team was in after the holidays, it's sad we're even having this conversation. 
That's fair. I think we saw some encouraging things on Tuesday. We'll see if they carry over to the rest of the year. I know USC was basically a cupcake, but they were also the first easy victory in a long while, which can be a confidence boost. We also played at least a semblance of defense.

311Hog

I think Barford should also be added to Macon.  We go as they go, but winning on the road someone else has to play well and the aformentioned guards can't play bad or even average they have to play really good every game.

hawg66

Macon is playing really well right now. Barford has been slumping but played better Tuesday. We definitely need both of them playing well.  Everyone has been complaining about the pressure defense but I thought SC was the first game we've seen it full court in a while. Mixed in some matchup zone to get Thompson and Gafford in at the same time.
I remember the concerns early in the year about the minutes for Barford and Macon. Maybe Anderson scaled back the Full Court press to get the minutes out of them without using them up. It's February now so no holding back. The Vandy game is huge, as they all are at this point.  I think we'll see lots of full court pressing and pushing the tempo. That's how the Hogs were rolling in December and hopefully they'll get back to that.

elksnort

Quote from: 311Hog on February 07, 2018, 04:21:13 pm
TN isnt good since when or OSU for that matter didn't TN sweep Kentucky and OSU beat Kansas in kansas?
He put a period after Tennessee. Meaning, he thinks the Vols are good.