Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally's quote of the day.

Started by harrisburghog, September 21, 2017, 08:03:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

Your thoughts?

"Both coaches have big buyouts: Texas A&M has the money to pay Sumlin $11 million; Arkansas can't afford -- and probably wouldn't want to if it could -- to shell out $15 million to make Bielema go away."

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on September 21, 2017, 08:03:08 am
Your thoughts?

"Both coaches have big buyouts: Texas A&M has the money to pay Sumlin $11 million; Arkansas can't afford -- and probably wouldn't want to if it could -- to shell out $15 million to make Bielema go away."

It's actually 11 million if you wait till 1/1/18. Poor little old Arkansas. Give me a break.

porkrindjimmy

I do know this...if the little elf has turned a bit negative...somebody somewhere is beyond angry....Wally doesn't say anything like that if he hasn't been directed. 

PRJ

Psychohog

Your thoughts?

The Foundation would not have agreed to the buyout if it could not afford to pay it.
Never smarten up a chump.

harrisburghog

Doesn't  BB's contract state he can't be fired during the regular season?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Psychohog on September 21, 2017, 08:11:37 am
The Foundation would not have agreed to the buyout if it could not afford to pay it.

This.  Never assume someone else's financial status is the same as yours.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

I disagree. I feel like they wouldn't have agreed to it if they didn't want him to stay and wanted a reason to keep him even if rhebaitustion looke bleak. I think they value the stability in the program right now, for right or wrong.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 21, 2017, 08:16:59 am
I disagree. I feel like they wouldn't have agreed to it if they didn't want him to stay and wanted a reason to keep him even if rhebaitustion looke bleak. I think they value the stability in the program right now, for right or wrong.

I also agree with this...but if things go from bad to worse, a check could be written.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Polecat

even if rhebaitustion looke bleak.

Not familiar with this. Is that like a mail-in rebate?
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

SemperHawg

I don't pretend to have the slightest idea what the Foundation was thinking or is thinking about his buyout.  I do know that if we lose to A&M this weekend we will be lucky to get a Little Rock sized crowd in that stadium for the rest of the year.  I also know that a half filled stadium is a bad look for Coach B and Long when you have that 110 million dollar reminder sitting up there in the NEZ.

WilsonHog

Just because you can pay something doesn't mean you want to.

What we have here is a disagreement in the direction of the program between those who make the decisions and those who don't. The latter group just has a public forum on which to vent their frustrations.

Gonzo

if rhebaitustion looke bleak

The huh? lol, so I'm not the only one who needs to wait till after coffee ;)

Go Hogs!

GuvHog

Since the Foundation is a totally separate entity form the U of A Athletic Department, I seriously doubt Long cared what they thought about it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 21, 2017, 08:26:25 am

What we have here is a disagreement in the direction of the program between those who make the decisions and those who don't. The latter group just has a public forum on which to vent their frustrations.

Exactly. So many on here are convinced that "rich people" will pay the money because they have it. But most rich people got that way because they hold on to their money.

hobhog

Coach B wins Saturday it won't matter

harrisburghog

Obviously the culture has changed at AR, wins and loses don't mean as much anymore.

The_Iceman

If Bielema makes a bow game, he isn't going anywhere. Even if he only wins 5, they still probably won't fire him.

Uberanubis

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 21, 2017, 08:08:20 am
It's actually 11 million if you wait till 1/1/18. Poor little old Arkansas. Give me a break.

so let me ask you this. if the hogs have a losing record this yea,r and lets say we don't make a bowl, and lets say we stop playing in November, do you think its really that smart to wait 5-6 weeks to fire your current head coach?
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

jkstock04

Quote from: Karma on September 21, 2017, 08:38:19 am
Exactly. So many on here are convinced that "rich people" will pay the money because they have it. But most rich people got that way because they hold on to their money.
Directed back to the OP...why will those "rich people" gladly pay at the drop of a hat at A&M but it's a taboo thing to consider here?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hobhog on September 21, 2017, 08:39:01 am
Coach B wins Saturday it won't matter

He isn't safe as can be for beating an Aggie. There is many more steps he has to take.

Hoggish1

What in Tarnation does Wally know? If we want to buy him out we can do it just like TAMU can.
Wally is really infuriating most of the time...

soso

"And I speak of the 'rhebaitustion' of love."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 08:34:38 am
Since the Foundation is a totally separate entity form the U of A Athletic Department, I seriously doubt Long cared what they thought about it.
Considering the RF is the one on the hook for the buyout, not to mention the RF (or private funds  ;) pays any of amount of his annual salary that exceeds the line item maximum for his position. If he doesn't care, he better start caring.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 21, 2017, 08:47:35 am
Directed back to the OP...why will those "rich people" gladly pay at the drop of a hat at A&M but it's a taboo thing to consider here?
I think you know, but I'll bite. The mindset of their program is to win...here it's all about GPA's and telling the world how much integrity you have....not kidding.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

This obvious and true.

Quote from: Redhogs on September 21, 2017, 08:56:49 am
I think you know, but I'll bite. The mindset of their program is to win...here it's all about GPA's and telling the world how much integrity you have....not kidding.
I think the real reason is that there are a lot more "rich people" from A&M to share the pain.

Cinco de Hogo

Your right but the rich and powerful will never foot the bill for a failing program without a change.  Is TV contracts and selling out to corporate sponsors enough?

hawgon

The public always makes the decisions in the end.  If they stop going to games, there will be a change.  Long has not seen how angry and then apathetic the Arkansas fanbase can get.  It's starting to look and feel like the early 90s around here.

Redhogs

Quote from: Karma on September 21, 2017, 08:58:30 am
I think the real reason is that there are a lot more "rich people" from A&M to share the pain.
Probably part of the equation...poor lil ol arkie....can't win and can't pay...jeeze.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 21, 2017, 08:46:29 am
so let me ask you this. if the hogs have a losing record this yea,r and lets say we don't make a bowl, and lets say we stop playing in November, do you think its really that smart to wait 5-6 weeks to fire your current head coach?

I would think they could relieve him of his duties in November and pay his contracted amount until Jan 1.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Karma on September 21, 2017, 08:58:30 am
Bingo! I'm sure that the Foundation could pay it if they really wanted to. But without some concession on CBB's part 15 million would really be hard to justify.

#1Fan

Quote from: Hogtimes on September 21, 2017, 09:03:13 am
I would think they could relieve him of his duties in November and pay his contracted amount until Jan 1.
Is "relieving him of his duties" not the same as firing him, which would trigger the $15 buyout?

Psychohog

Is "relieving him of his duties" not the same as firing him, which would trigger the $15 buyout?
                            "Re-assigned within the athletic department"   ;)
Never smarten up a chump.

jst01

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 08:44:21 am
If Bielema makes a bow game, he isn't going anywhere. Even if he only wins 5, they still probably won't fire him.

This for sure. If he wins A&M game, there are 3 more wins on the schedule at least.  5 wins will be looked at as a bad year by Long and he will say as much, but will also proclaim his patience and the need for stability yada yada yada.  Give him 2018 season and if its less than 9 wins they will pay the man and move on.

Grag T

Quote from: Gonzo on September 21, 2017, 08:30:49 am

The huh? lol, so I'm not the only one who needs to wait till after coffee ;)

LOL, I'm trying to come up with a word that he may have meant to type instead... nope I got nuthin'.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

The_Iceman

Let's say you fired Bielema and hired...say Mike Leach. Would the revenue generated by Leach's hire be enough to cover the money paid to Bielema?

jst01

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 09:26:39 am
Let's say you fired Bielema and hired...say Mike Leach. Would the revenue generated by Leach's hire be enough to cover the money paid to Bielema?

When? In year 1? Year 2?

Guess it depends on how excited fans would be for that new season and it would depend on how the year started out. If you start 1-2 with the new coach, it may take awhile for revenues to catch up. 

HognotinMemphis

Your thoughts?

U of A will lose twice this amount over the next 12 months if the situation is bad enough that they want to fire Bret. Thus, they will negotiate a settlement and he will be gone after this season if they want him gone. Buyout will not matter in the least.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgon

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 21, 2017, 09:26:39 am

I don't like Leach but let's just say a coach that plays exciting football and came in and won seven to nine games quickly in the first two years.  Over the course of five years, I guarantee you the money would work out than keeping Bielema another year or two and watching apathy build...even including the buyout.

#1Fan

Quote from: Psychohog on September 21, 2017, 09:14:37 am
                            "Re-assigned within the athletic department"   ;)
Waterboy?

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 21, 2017, 08:19:52 am
I also agree with this...but if things go from bad to worse, a check could be written.

Your thoughts?

Well, it wouldn't be one check, his contract calls for the buyout to be paid in monthly sums divided by the number of months left on his contract. He would be expected to actively try to find other employment and any salary would be subtracted from his monthly payments.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 21, 2017, 08:55:44 am
Considering the RF is the one on the hook for the buyout, not to mention the RF (or private funds  ;) pays any of amount of his annual salary that exceeds the line item maximum for his position. If he doesn't care, he better start caring.

Guv'd.....

hawgon

It could probably be negotiated down to half of the amount if a lump sum payment was made.  Just the time value of the money and the immediate ability to take another high paying job without worrying about it reducing his buyout would be worth something.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 21, 2017, 09:33:02 am
U of A will lose twice this amount over the next 12 months if the situation is bad enough that they want to fire Bret. Thus, they will negotiate a settlement and he will be gone after this season if they want him gone. Buyout will not matter in the least.

B.S., we only generate $30M in football ticket sales and that includes donations and suites. Try to keep your argument to something close to factual, lol.

Polecat

Quote from: soso on September 21, 2017, 08:54:49 am
"And I speak of the 'rhebaitustion' of love."

Some people call me HDN 2.0, yeah
Some call me the Badger of love
Some people call me Ber.t...
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HotlantaHog

I think Arkansas wins Saturday ... That should postpone the buyout talk a bit.

But it's a huge blunder to agree to a buyout that you can't pay if you need to.

FineAsSwine

even if rhebaitustion looke bleak.

sounds like a line from a Oscar Wilde poem
Hogs up! Covid down!

PossumFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 21, 2017, 08:49:52 am
What in Tarnation does Wally know? If we want to buy him out we can do it just like TAMU can.
Wally is really infuriating most of the time...

You could ask the same about people on this board (including me). What do we know? Doesn't keep us from yapping, so why does that make Wally more infuriating than us? Just because his forum is a newspaper and not a message board?

Grag T

Quote from: PossumFan on September 21, 2017, 09:48:14 am
You could ask the same about people on this board (including me). What do we know? Doesn't keep us from yapping, so why does that make Wally more infuriating than us? Just because his forum is a newspaper and not a message board?

funny thing is, in this day and age there are probably more people reading this message board than the newspaper.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde