Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 Razorback Bracketology Tracker

Started by jbcarol, April 27, 2017, 11:50:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

February 15, 2018, 10:37:29 am #250 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:06:28 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 09:49:01 am
OU is still hanging in the RPI top 25 for now.  Part of it is the B12's RPI inflation due to the complete round robin they play and not having 4 dead weight teams at the bottom.

Next best OOC win Ok St down at 91.

Minnesota let us down this season and the B1G's RPI's aren't buoying them up as the SEC RPI's are helping each other.  UConn is at 99 which helps if they stay in the Top 100.  At least we didn't dip into the SWAC MEAC pool. 

We need Fresno, Bucknell and UCON to stay Top 100. I have my doubts about UCON and their mess but they have been losing and not dropping. Bucknell and Fresno are both playing solid.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 15, 2018, 10:37:29 am
We need Frsno, Bucknell and UCON to stay Top 100. I have my doubts about UCON and their mess but they have been losing and not dropping. Bucknell and Fresno are both playing solid.

The numbers I looked at are from the NCAA site and not updated through last night's games.  It was as of 2/13.  Some things happened last night like Nova losing at Providence and AU beating UK.

Yep.  I missed Bucknell at 90 just above OSU.  Fresno 92.  This was smart scheduling. 

UConn didn't drop due to recent games with Cincy and WSU.  Still have road trips to Cincy and Hou.  Just need them to win a few of their remaining games. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razobak

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 10:28:38 am
How much of it is scheduling though is the question. I have thought since mid Jan the SEC is a mirage, a product of good, selective ooc scheduling, and avoiding playing teams with 200 or 250+ rpi's. Just because the league is closer top to bottom does not mean it is very good.

I mean, would you rather have a conference that schedules good, selective OOC games or a conference that props up its records with 250+ cupcakes? We've had years where the SEC only got 3 teams into the tourney because of 250+ OOC scheduling.

In 2013-14, we went 21-11 (10-8 SEC) and fell all the way to a 3 seed in the NIT, despite sweeping Kentucky that year (that was the year of Qualls' dunk). Why was this? Because our OOC consisted of wins against SIU-Edwardsville, Louisiana, SE Louisiana, Clemson (NIT that year), Savannah State, UT-Martin, South Alabama, Texas-San Antonio, High Point, SMU and Minnesota (who would wind up playing each other for the NIT championship). Most of the rest of the SEC played similar non-conference schedules that year. The result? The SEC got Florida (1 seed), Kentucky (8 seed), and Tennessee (11 seed/play-in game) into the NCAA tournament that year. Our non-conference schedule hurt us that year, and the rest of the conference's non-conference schedules also hurt us because we didn't get any boosts from going 10-8 that year in the SEC. If we went 10-8 this year in the SEC, we'd get a bid comfortably.

"A rising tide lifts all boats."
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 10:28:38 am
How much of it is scheduling though is the question. I have thought since mid Jan the SEC is a mirage, a product of good, selective ooc scheduling, and avoiding playing teams with 200 or 250+ rpi's. Just because the league is closer top to bottom does not mean it is very good.

What leagues are better than the SEC in your opinion?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razobak on February 15, 2018, 10:48:35 am
I mean, would you rather have a conference that schedules good, selective OOC games or a conference that props up its records with 250+ cupcakes? We've had years where the SEC only got 3 teams into the tourney because of 250+ OOC scheduling.

In 2013-14, we went 21-11 (10-8 SEC) and fell all the way to a 3 seed in the NIT, despite sweeping Kentucky that year (that was the year of Qualls' dunk). Why was this? Because our OOC consisted of wins against SIU-Edwardsville, Louisiana, SE Louisiana, Clemson (NIT that year), Savannah State, UT-Martin, South Alabama, Texas-San Antonio, High Point, SMU and Minnesota (who would wind up playing each other for the NIT championship). Most of the rest of the SEC played similar non-conference schedules that year. The result? The SEC got Florida (1 seed), Kentucky (8 seed), and Tennessee (11 seed/play-in game) into the NCAA tournament that year. Our non-conference schedule hurt us that year, and the rest of the conference's non-conference schedules also hurt us because we didn't get any boosts from going 10-8 that year in the SEC. If we went 10-8 this year in the SEC, we'd get a bid comfortably.

"A rising tide lifts all boats."

The records are propped up anyway.  It's just now the +300 opponents from the rpi killing conferences aren't on our schedules. 

The RPI is a game.  It's why the committee is bringing in other numbers and still use the human element to make decisions.

Going to be interesting to see what they do with teams like A&M who at full strength is a 4 seed or better quality team.  But they won't be the rest of the season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Sow’sEar

Quote from: razobak on February 15, 2018, 09:13:00 am
Yeah, I get that. The past three games were against the bottom tier of the SEC, but still to take care of your business by double digits in each game, including a road win, and then to get moved DOWN a seed feels wrong.

But you're 100% right. We have every opportunity in the world to make our own destiny over the next five games. All five are Q1 games so we could absolutely move all the way up to something like a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAA if we win out. Hell, with some luck we could even squeak into a 2 seed in the SEC if the cards fall right -- although that would require Tennessee losing twice with us winning out, which I don't see happening with both our remaining schedules.
The worst part is according to Lunardi we must now be one of the last teams in in his eyes.  How low do at large teams go?  I assumed 12-16 seeds were the autobids from small conferences...  If Lunardi is to be believed, then we probably need to go 3-2 at a minimum in the last five to get in...

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 10:54:53 am
ACC

Okay that's ONE conference, according to you ALL other conferences using your words are " not very good" . 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on February 15, 2018, 11:14:05 am
Okay that's ONE conference, according to you ALL other conferences using your words are " not very good" .

Are you mixing my posts up with someone else's?

The Big East has some good teams with a couple of really good ones at the top.

The B1G is not good this season although Mich St and Purdue are really good, Oh St a surprise and Michigan may be a tough out in the tourney.  The Pac 12 is worse.

The Big 12 isn't what it could have been had Texas not had the tragic situation with their guard and if TCU hadn't lost Fisher.  It's an okay conference with some good teams.  Don't believe KU or WVU are great teams this season.

AAC is ok.  Not sure Cincy is the juggernaut the conference is making them look like.

So relative to what college basketball is, and that is all that matters each season, the SEC is "good".  It's good because of depth. 

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 11:18:58 am
Are you mixing my posts up with someone else's?

The Big East has some good teams with a couple of really good ones at the top.

The B1G is not good this season although Mich St and Purdue are really good, Oh St a surprise and Michigan may be a tough out in the tourney.  The Pac 12 is worse.

The Big 12 isn't what it could have been had Texas not had the tragic situation with their guard and if TCU hadn't lost Fisher.  It's an okay conference with some good teams.  Don't believe KU or WVU are great teams this season.

AAC is ok.  Not sure Cincy is the juggernaut the conference is making them look like.

So relative to what college basketball is, and that is all that matters each season, the SEC is "good".  It's good because of depth.

No you posted that the SEC may be better from top to bottom overall but that doesn't mean it is very good.

All the bracket predictions I have seen only have the ACC putting more teams in the NCATT at this time. 

Now I guess what you may be saying is we don't have a threat to win the tournament, which I would agree with.

Heck we may have all 8/9 teams lose the first game.. 

rljjr

I have a serious problem with the bracketology and all of the metrics that go into it, especially when a team like Kentucky has lost 4 straight and is a projected 7 seed. The SEC is either a good conference so that their losses are considered good, or it isn't, which means our 3-game winning streak means very little so that we've dropped to an 11-seed. It can't be both ways.

If we won our last 5 games against the surprisingly highly-thought-of 7-seed-projected Aggies, as well as toothless and over-rated Kentucky, surprising Auburn, solid Bama and (spit) Mizzou -- what would our projected seeding be?

Atlhogfan1

[quote author=hogsanity link=topic=633203.msg11382670#msg11382670 date=1518712118]
[/quote]
Quote from: 99toLife on February 15, 2018, 11:24:22 am
No you posted that the SEC may be better from top to bottom overall but that doesn't mean it is very good.

All the bracket predictions I have seen only have the ACC putting more teams in the NCATT at this time. 

Now I guess what you may be saying is we don't have a threat to win the tournament, which I would agree with.

Heck we may have all 8/9 teams lose the first game..

I didn't post it. 

99toLife

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 99toLife on February 15, 2018, 11:31:50 am
MY Bad, I misread...sorry about that!  :(

It's okay.  I'm not enamored with the SEC's strength this season either.  I don't believe it is some gauntlet.  But compared to what we have seen for many years, it is certainly deeper and better than it has been.  Compared to college basketball this season, it is much more respectable than it has been.  I do think the only clearly better conference is the ACC.  It's a shame Florida and Mizzou had key injuries which kept them from being what they could have been.  Garland's sad situation.  A&M's roster issues throughout the conference part of the season. 

99toLife

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 11:37:26 am
It's okay.  I'm not enamored with the SEC's strength this season either.  I don't believe it is some gauntlet.  But compared to what we have seen for many years, it is certainly deeper and better than it has been.  Compared to college basketball this season, it is much more respectable than it has been.  It's a shame Florida and Mizzou had key injuries which kept them from being what they could have been.  Garland's sad situation.  A&M's roster issues throughout the conference part of the season.

I agree, this year it seems everyone can lose about any game they play. 

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
‏Verified account @BracketWAG
36m36 minutes ago

Goodness, what a night, bracket shake-up today - now posted, http://bracketwag.com

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), Big 12 (Eight), SEC (Eight), ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jbcarol on February 16, 2018, 06:26:29 am
Shelby Mast
36m36 minutes ago

Goodness, what a night, bracket shake-up today - now posted, http://bracketwag.com

And UK is a 7 seed how??
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

GuvHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 16, 2018, 06:51:02 am
And UK is a 7 seed how??

I don't see that happening. UK is on a 4 game losing streak and is 6-7 in conference. I know UK's reputation is part of the reason he makes them a 7 seed but reputation shouldn't help THAT much.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jst01

Quote from: jbcarol on February 16, 2018, 06:26:29 am
Shelby Mast
36m36 minutes ago

oh my. Could you imagine Virginia defense against the Hogs on a slow night...might score in the 30's

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
1h1 hour ago

Scrubbing complete - results factored in, today's bracket posted, Happy Saturday everyone http://bracketwag.com

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HoopS

Atlhogfan1

A&M won't be a 5. They will lose a few more before selection Sunday. 

RaisinHog

jbcarol

Hog_Fink

win 2 more regular season & 1 tourney game
you gotta think we'd be in 7 range

what gets us off 8-9 ??

GuvHog

Quote from: galactivation on February 18, 2018, 07:53:19 am
win 2 more regular season & 1 tourney game
you gotta think we'd be in 7 range

what gets us off 8-9 ??

I think they have to go at least 3-1 the rest of the way and win a couple of SEC Tournament games to get a 7 seed. Those 2 big losses to LSU are really hurting the Hogs right now.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Fan701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 18, 2018, 08:02:07 am
I think they have to go at least 3-1 the rest of the way and win a couple of SEC Tournament games to get a 7 seed. Those 2 big losses to LSU are really hurting the Hogs right now.
Wow!  So you think 11-7 in the SEC this year will be good for only a 7 seed.  You may be right, but I thought our conference was better than that.  11-7 will likely be third place, maybe even a tie for second.  Then, as you say, two SEC tourney wins will put us into the championship game, and yet only a 7 seed at the end of the day.  Again, you may be right.  Last year we were third place in the SEC, made it to the championship game and were an 8 seed.  But I really thought the conference had upgraded this year.

Uberanubis

Quote from: Fan701 on February 18, 2018, 08:20:05 am
Wow!  So you think 11-7 in the SEC this year will be good for only a 7 seed.  You may be right, but I thought our conference was better than that.  11-7 will likely be third place, maybe even a tie for second.  Then, as you say, two SEC tourney wins will put us into the championship game, and yet only a 7 seed at the end of the day.  Again, you may be right.  Last year we were third place in the SEC, made it to the championship game and were an 8 seed.  But I really thought the conference had upgraded this year.

it did and the conference will get more teams in. remember that we have Arkansas across our chest. thats an automatic 2 seeds lower then you would think.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Hog_Fink

if we have that kind of finish we'd be 24-10
likely closing out with 6 quadrant 1 wins
man, that's an unlikely finish. I think we will do half of that & maybe get off of 8

Dominicanhog

he's not right...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: galactivation on February 18, 2018, 08:33:33 am
if we have that kind of finish we'd be 24-10
likely closing out with 6 quadrant 1 wins
man, that's an unlikely finish. I think we will do half of that & maybe get off of 8

2 more wins and 1 set win gets us an 8.. I would be happy with that... but if our defense scontines to improve and CJ, Hall and Thomss finish strong, we could be tough ...big IF.. but we could be the best team in the league, at the right time..

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 18, 2018, 08:38:33 am
2 more wins and 1 set win gets us an 8.. I would be happy with that... but if our defense scontines to improve and CJ, Hall and Thomss finish strong, we could be tough ...big IF.. but we could be the best team in the league, at the right time..

I just don't understand how A@M is seeded higher than we are? IMO the SEC commentators are hurting us when it comes to seeding and the tourney. They pump up A@M and Bama and Mizzou and we get very little respect inside the conference.

We probably go 2-2 the rest of the way and should be around a 5-6 seed but will not be seeded that high.

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
50m50 minutes ago

Whew, done, plenty of movement, bracket now posted - http://bracketwag.com

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 18, 2018, 09:27:27 am
I just don't understand how A@M is seeded higher than we are? IMO the SEC commentators are hurting us when it comes to seeding and the tourney. They pump up A@M and Bama and Mizzou and we get very little respect inside the conference.

We probably go 2-2 the rest of the way and should be around a 5-6 seed but will not be seeded that high.

And Oklahoma has lost about 5 straight games and are still a 5-6 seed.

If Arkansas had ever lost five straight games, we would be done and never heard from again.

Hog_Fink

February 18, 2018, 09:38:19 am #284 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:54:44 am by galactivation
That's what I'm saying if we get 2 more vs solid teams seeded ahead of us then how we don't move up off 8 I dont understand.

I guess take care of business & it'll take care of itself.... who knows

Hollywood_HOGan45

HogBreath

The selection committee will work hard to get us a second round game against either Virginia in Richmond, Michigan State in Detroit, or Villanova in Philadelphia, if it doesn't work out for us to play UNC in the Dean dome again.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 18, 2018, 09:34:14 am

If Arkansas had ever lost five straight games, we would be done and never heard from again.

True. The NCAA needs Trae Young for ratings.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Hog_Fink

I'd like to see us play KU in wichita. They would have to be the weakest 1 seed in years

jbcarol

Quadrant 1 Records (as of games played 2/17)

Virginia 8-1
Nova     8-2
Aubbie  8-3
KU      10-4

UNC      8-5
XU        7-4
UF        6-3
LSU      7-5
Bama   6-5
OU       6-7
A&M     7-8

UC        5-2
Purdue  5-3
Houston 5-3
TTech    5-4
FSU      5-4
WVU    5-6
Prov     5-6
NCSt    5-6
Ark      5-7
UG       5-7
Mizzou  5-7
Tejas    5-7

Zona    4-2
St. Bon 4-2
Wash    4-3
VaTech 4-5
Vols      4-7
TCU      4-7
Baylor   4-8
Marq     4-8
SoCar   4-9

Zags     3-1
MichSt  3-2
ASU      3-3
Miami   3-5
Syr       3-5
SetHall 3-6
Utes     3-6
UK       3-7
KState  3-7
Creig.   3-7
T. Owls  3-7
Butler   3-8

WichSt  2-2
Nevada 2-2
MTSU   2-3
URI      2-4
OhioSt  2-4
PennSt  2-4
UCLA    2-4
Duke    2-4
Clemson 2-5
Michigan 2-5
SoCal    2-5
State    2-6
NDU     2-6
UofL     2-7

St. Mary's 1-0

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 18, 2018, 09:34:14 am

Exactly!! And we beat Blow U on a neutral court.
I really think the SEC Network is hurting us they just don't feature us as much as they do some of these others. Seems like our loss at A@M and Houston has doomed us but we beat the dog out of A@M and they are still a higher seed than what we are? Just pisses me off we are playing pretty well but let us lose and we are back on the bubble every time? Sick of it!

LivingLegends

aTm's sos is a 4 and ours is 31.  I'm not saying I agree with the seedings at this point but that's why they're where they are.

After we play Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, and Mizzou I'd expect that gap to close.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: LivingLegends on February 18, 2018, 12:49:20 pm
aTm's sos is a 4 and ours is 31.  I'm not saying I agree with the seedings at this point but that's why they're where they are.

After we play Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, and Mizzou I'd expect that gap to close.
so what I have heard is this conference is average but a team that is 11th in conf and is 6-8 is a 6 seed
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

LivingLegends

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 18, 2018, 01:10:25 pm
so what I have heard is this conference is average but a team that is 11th in conf and is 6-8 is a 6 seed
The average conference thing is troll bait.  The conference is amazing and stacked with great coaches and great talent. 

I think most people thought the SEC would be better next year and people still have a Pavlov's response.  The idea that the SEC is average is mindless and simpleton quality thinking.

99toLife

Quote from: LivingLegends on February 18, 2018, 01:14:45 pm
The average conference thing is troll bait.  The conference is amazing and stacked with great coaches and great talent. 

I think most people thought the SEC would be better next year and people still have a Pavlov's response.  The idea that the SEC is average is mindless and simpleton quality thinking.
That's why only 1 conference at this time is predicted to put more teams in the NCAAT. 

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
1h1 hour ago

Today's bracket now posted, more movement, as always. Getting down to crunch time folks. Happy Monday - http://bracketwag.com

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: jbcarol on February 19, 2018, 07:09:33 am
Shelby Mast
1h1 hour ago

Today's bracket now posted, more movement, as always. Getting down to crunch time folks. Happy Monday - http://bracketwag.com
aww look UNC
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jbcarol

Atlhogfan1

Hog Pharm