Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 Razorback Bracketology Tracker

Started by jbcarol, April 27, 2017, 11:50:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bracketville
‏ @BracketguyDave
19h19 hours ago

Last 4 Byes (at-large) heading into tonight ... Arkansas, Louisville, Kansas St, Virginia Tech
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
‏Verified account @BracketWAG
7m7 minutes ago

A new team enters today, might not be who you think, bracket posted, http://buff.ly/2EeNA08

Last 4 in - Arkansas, NC State, Saint Bonaventure, Boise State

hogsanity

From a projected 5 seed to last 4 in, at this point of the season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogwildjoshua

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2018, 08:36:04 am
From a projected 5 seed to last 4 in, at this point of the season.

Pathetic.  All blame on Mediocre Mike. 

daprospecta

Quote from: hogwildjoshua on February 09, 2018, 08:37:13 am
Pathetic.  All blame on Mediocre Mike. 
We are literally the first team on the last four byes. Basically means we are barely on the bubble. Just barely. If we win tomorrow, we will be off the bubble completely. 

hogsanity

Quote from: daprospecta on February 09, 2018, 11:32:28 am
We are literally the first team on the last four byes. Basically means we are barely on the bubble. Just barely. If we win tomorrow, we will be off the bubble completely. 

and with a loss next week would be right back on it. Not sure beating a bad Vandy at home does much for you
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 09, 2018, 01:13:27 pm
and with a loss next week would be right back on it. Not sure beating a bad Vandy at home does much for you

I agree, but a loss, we would take a BIG hit!

hogsanity

Quote from: 99toLife on February 09, 2018, 01:14:45 pm
I agree, but a loss, we would take a BIG hit!

Jerry Palm said last week all the Hogs needed to do was beat the teams left on the schedule that are NOT going to the NCAAT, then they turned around and lost to the 1st one they played, LSU.

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
2h2 hours ago

today's bracket posted, see why I'm not thrilled with it. http://bracketwag.com

Last 4 in - Arkansas, NC State, Houston, Boise State

hogsanity

Quote from: jbcarol on February 10, 2018, 07:46:27 am
Shelby Mast
2h2 hours ago

today's bracket posted, see why I'm not thrilled with it. http://bracketwag.com

Last 4 in - Arkansas, NC State, Houston, Boise State

Not a great place to be with 8 games to go.

daprospecta

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 02:17:52 pm
Not a great place to be with 8 games to go.
We are not close to last 4 in. We are barely on the bubble.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: daprospecta on February 10, 2018, 03:55:44 pm

There isn't much of a gap between last 4 in and barely on the bubble

hogsanity

Quote from: daprospecta on February 10, 2018, 03:55:44 pm

Yet two or 3 of the bracket projections have the Hogs in the 10/11 range, which is certainly last 4 at large range.

Did you believe them when they had the Hogs as a 5 seed?

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
11m11 minutes ago

OK folks, I know I'll hear some hate, but today's bracket is now posted, and there is a shake-up at the top. Please keep the name-calling to a minimum. NCAA bracket reveal (well, top 4 seeds), 11:30 CT today. http://bracketwag.com

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), SEC (Eight), Big 12 (7), Big East (6), B1G (4), Pac 12 (4)

"Not sure what my friends in Omaha would think about that..."

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: jbcarol on February 11, 2018, 09:05:16 am
Shelby Mast
11m11 minutes ago

OK folks, I know I'll hear some hate, but today's bracket is now posted, and there is a shake-up at the top. Please keep the name-calling to a minimum. NCAA bracket reveal (well, top 4 seeds), 11:30 CT today. http://bracketwag.com

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), SEC (Eight), Big 12 (7), Big East (6), B1G (4), Pac 12 (4)

hey look UNC again 2nd round
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jbcarol

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 26, 2018, 10:11:34 am
Mich st is only ranked because of their "name"

Bracketville
‏ @BracketguyDave
33m33 minutes ago

Reality for Michigan State is why they were a 3-seed on Friday.  There simply isn't enough "traditional" beef on their resume.  Metrics may help, but who you played, who you beat, where you played still matter.

daprospecta

Quote from: jbcarol on February 11, 2018, 09:05:16 am
Shelby Mast
11m11 minutes ago

He's not paying attention. If you go back and look at this thread, he literally dropped us a seed after each victory the last two games. 

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
20m20 minutes ago

Today's bracket posted with some thoughts on the Bracket Reveal - http://bracketwag.com

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), SEC (Eight), Big 12 (7), ...

jbcarol

ESPN
‏Verified account @espn
7h7 hours ago

We're just a month away from Selection Sunday.

Here's @ESPNLunardi's latest field of 68: http://es.pn/2Cf8ACl

jbcarol

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
9s9 seconds ago

What a thrilling end to the night, double OT!!! New bracket posted, how much did that game affect things? Check it - http://bracketwag.com

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
10m10 minutes ago

Finished the bracket last night, was looking forward to sleeping til 6, cat had other ideas, so today's bracket now posted. http://bracketwag.com

Multi bid conferences - ACC (9), Big 12 (Eight), SEC (Eight), Big East (6), Big 10 (4),
Pac 12 (4), AAC (3), WCC (2)

jbcarol

Shelby Mast
36m36 minutes ago

I'm up early for you bracket fans, new bracket posted, check it, http://bracketwag.com

razobak

Lunardi has us as an 11 seed facing Miami in Dallas. Second round would be against Texas Tech or Belmont. I don't know why we keep slipping even though we've won 3 straight by double digits, but that's a favorable draw.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

dawn2tusk

We moved from a 10 seed to a 11 seed on Lunardi's bracket.  We did however move off the "last 4 with a bye" list.  So.....a worst seed but not on his bubble watch list for the time being. 

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: razobak on February 15, 2018, 08:45:24 am
Lunardi has us as an 11 seed facing Miami in Dallas. Second round would be against Texas Tech or Belmont. I don't know why we keep slipping even though we've won 3 straight by double digits, but that's a favorable draw.

Lol so disrespectful!  But then you look closer, and last bracket, Lunardi had us as a 10 and one of the last four byes.  VaTech and Kansas St move up to bump us to an 11, and they're both in the last four byes now but we no longer are.  I don't get it?!?

ShadowHawg

It's the record of those 3 teams we just played.

Our next 5 games are against premium opponents. Look for us to move up in seeding as a result.

Big Nasty 34

Staying away from the 8/9 seed is a very good thing.

dawn2tusk

Sorry, just saw the other thread was updated with this info.  Mods can delete.

Bacon_Bitz

Funny that VaTech and Kansas St jumped us to be 10 seeds but they're on the last four byes list.  Doesn't make sense to me.

SouthTulsaHog

Its weird because we moved out of the last 4 byes but we moved down a seed. Must have something to do with matchups. So theoretically we moved further away from the bubble but down a seed line...

SemperHawg

All quadrant 1 or 2 games from here... bracketology will start to reflect wins the rest of the way.

SouthTulsaHog

So I just looked it up. It looks like in the 3 other 7/10 matchups he has SEC schools involved (A&M, Missouri, and Bama all as 7 seeds). In the other non 7/10 matchup he has Auburn as the 2 seed, which theoretically would be a second round matchup. The NCAA historically doesn't like having a rematching (or conference opponents) playing each other until the Sweet 16, therefore he moved us down a seedline due to matchups.

I don't its disrepect, we are no longer in the last 4 in, so we have moved further away from the bubble.

WPS

riccoar

I don't know why we keep slipping even though we've won 3 straight by double digits, but that's a favorable draw.
Opponent.  It's who those 3 wins came against.  Starting Saturday, we start a 5 game skid that can elevate our level.  Just winning the 3 at home would probably be enough to push us back in to a 6-7 seed.

Atlhogfan1

I haven't looked at the bracket but the bracket has many guidelines that must be followed like potential matchups with conference teams in  a certain round based on how many times they played in a season.  Teams can be moved up and down a seed line or two to avoid these. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jst01

Best chance to win 2 games in tourney is from 10-11. Wouldn't mind that at all.

razorback1829

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on February 15, 2018, 08:52:41 am
So I just looked it up. It looks like in the 3 other 7/10 matchups he has SEC schools involved (A&M, Missouri, and Bama all as 7 seeds). In the other non 7/10 matchup he has Auburn as the 2 seed, which theoretically would be a second round matchup. The NCAA historically doesn't like having a rematching (or conference opponents) playing each other until the Sweet 16, therefore he moved us down a seedline due to matchups.

I don't its disrepect, we are no longer in the last 4 in, so we have moved further away from the bubble.

WPS

Honestly from about 7-11 is all the same. Gonna get a high major opponent. Being in Dallas would be awesome though. Barnhill South born again!

The_Iceman

Quote from: jst01 on February 15, 2018, 08:57:55 am
Best chance to win 2 games in tourney is from 10-11. Wouldn't mind that at all.

Much better than the 8/9.

razobak

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 15, 2018, 08:48:14 am
It's the record of those 3 teams we just played.

Our next 5 games are against premium opponents. Look for us to move up in seeding as a result.

Yeah, I get that. The past three games were against the bottom tier of the SEC, but still to take care of your business by double digits in each game, including a road win, and then to get moved DOWN a seed feels wrong.

But you're 100% right. We have every opportunity in the world to make our own destiny over the next five games. All five are Q1 games so we could absolutely move all the way up to something like a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAA if we win out. Hell, with some luck we could even squeak into a 2 seed in the SEC if the cards fall right -- although that would require Tennessee losing twice with us winning out, which I don't see happening with both our remaining schedules.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on February 15, 2018, 08:52:41 am

WPS

The guidelines for bracketing addresses conference matchups.

https://www.ncaa.com/content/di-principles-and-procedures-selection

Some of the rules:

"Each of the first four teams selected from a
conference shall be placed in different regions if they
are seeded on the first four lines.
Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior
to the regional final if they played each other three or
more times during the regular season and conference
tournament.
Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior
to the regional semifinals if they played each other
twice during the regular season and conference
tournament.
Teams from the same conference may play each
other as early as the second round if they played no
more than once during the regular season and
conference tournament.
Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams
from the same conference are among the last four atlarge
seeded teams participating in the First Four.
To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams,
the committee shall not place teams seeded on the
first four lines at a potential "home-crowd
disadvantage" in the first round."
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razobak on February 15, 2018, 09:13:00 am
Yeah, I get that. The past three games were against the bottom tier of the SEC, but still to take care of your business by double digits in each game, including a road win, and then to get moved DOWN a seed feels wrong.

But you're 100% right. We have every opportunity in the world to make our own destiny over the next five games. All five are Q1 games so we could absolutely move all the way up to something like a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAA if we win out. Hell, with some luck we could even squeak into a 2 seed in the SEC if the cards fall right -- although that would require Tennessee losing twice with us winning out, which I don't see happening with both our remaining schedules.

It isn't just what Arkansas did. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 09:25:33 am
It isn't just what Arkansas did. 

KY & FLA fading is hurting the RPi of the league. Also, some of the better OOC wins are not carrying the weight many thought they would because those teams have faded.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:29:22 am
KY & FLA fading is hurting the RPi of the league. Also, some of the better OOC wins are not carrying the weight many thought they would because those teams have faded.

How is it hurting the league RPI when they are just losing to other teams in the league?

hawg1221

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on February 15, 2018, 08:49:31 am
Funny that VaTech and Kansas St jumped us to be 10 seeds but they're on the last four byes list.  Doesn't make sense to me.

I haven't seen it, but that is strange to me as well. I don't know how they determine that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:29:22 am

OU is still hanging in the RPI top 25 for now.  Part of it is the B12's RPI inflation due to the complete round robin they play and not having 4 dead weight teams at the bottom.

Next best OOC win Ok St down at 91.

Minnesota let us down this season and the B1G's RPI's aren't buoying them up as the SEC RPI's are helping each other.  UConn is at 99 which helps if they stay in the Top 100.  At least we didn't dip into the SWAC MEAC pool. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on February 15, 2018, 09:35:23 am
How is it hurting the league RPI when they are just losing to other teams in the league?

SEC's scheduling strategy has paid off.  We are looking like the B12 in the RPI even with the 4 extra teams. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on February 15, 2018, 09:35:23 am

It is which teams they are losing to. Vandy RPi is 113, Ga is near 70, LSu 82, SC 84. So losing to any of those is going to hurt the rpi of whoever loses.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 15, 2018, 09:51:08 am
SEC's scheduling strategy has paid off.  We are looking like the B12 in the RPI even with the 4 extra teams. 

How much of it is scheduling though is the question. I have thought since mid Jan the SEC is a mirage, a product of good, selective ooc scheduling, and avoiding playing teams with 200 or 250+ rpi's. Just because the league is closer top to bottom does not mean it is very good.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 10:28:38 am
How much of it is scheduling though is the question. I have thought since mid Jan the SEC is a mirage, a product of good, selective ooc scheduling, and avoiding playing teams with 200 or 250+ rpi's. Just because the league is closer top to bottom does not mean it is very good.

So we are using the Big 12's system to get the same favorable RPI treatment as the Big 12. They get over seeded every year, always get that extra team in that leaves other bubble teams feeling like they got hosed.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.